Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

George1

Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

Post  George1 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:51 am

George1

Post  George1 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Russian Mi-35M helicopters in Syria equipped with on-board defense complex "Vitebsk"

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1839515.html

Honesroc

Post  Honesroc on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Russian Mi-25 helicopter crew killed in Syria

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/politics/887272
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:14 am

wonder if anyone could answer these questions please.

1) is there any differences in terms of performance (speed/ceiling height etc) and if so what specs are there between Mi-24 compared to Mi-24PN/Mi-35M

2) The armour protection offered on the Mi-24 have read protection from 12.7mm i would have thought it would have been more.

3) The armour protection offered on the Mi-28 have from various sources stating windshield 7.62-12.7mm and others state 12.7-14.5mm, not sure what the rest of the Mi-28 protection is. Read new blades are protected up to 30mm.

4) The armour protection offered on the Ka-52. I would imagine similar to Mi-28.

5) The armour protection offered on the Mi-8AMTSh/Mi-17, read it has armour plating i am only guessing but i would expect up to 12.7mm.

any info would be great read so many conflicting reports and sources and guess this is the best place to get the facts.

kopyo-21

Post  kopyo-21 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 am

d_taddei2 wrote:wonder if anyone could answer these questions please.

1) is there any differences in terms of performance (speed/ceiling height etc) and if so what specs are there between Mi-24 compared to Mi-24PN/Mi-35M

2) The armour protection offered on the Mi-24  have read protection from 12.7mm i would have thought it would have been more.

3) The armour protection offered on the Mi-28 have from various sources stating windshield 7.62-12.7mm and others state 12.7-14.5mm, not sure what the rest of the Mi-28 protection is. Read new blades are protected up to 30mm.

4) The armour protection offered on the Ka-52. I would imagine similar to Mi-28.

5) The armour protection offered on the Mi-8AMTSh/Mi-17, read it has armour plating i am only guessing but i would expect up to 12.7mm.

any info would be great read so many conflicting reports and sources and guess this is the best place to get the facts.
    For the performance, the max speed of Mi-24 (335 km/h) is above of Mi-24PN and Mi-35M3 (~310 km/h) due to the foldable landing gears instead of fixed ones in Mi-24PN and Mi-35M3

Mi-24PNs that RAF is using now have the worst general performance because they were the cheap upgraded version with old steel main rotor and old steel tail rotor beeing kept while the mass weight increased alot due to the IIR/ LRF system in nose and the ballast in tail. Mi-24PN Pilots had very negative feedback about their fly performance.

Actually there were 2 versions of Mi-24P modernization, one was cheap Mi-24PN1 that RAF chose and the other was Mi-24PN2 with new engine VK-2500, new composite main rotor and new composite X-type tail rotor.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:47 am

2) The armour protection offered on the Mi-24 have read protection from 12.7mm i would have thought it would have been more.

Actually 12.7mm protection is rather better than most helos... the weight involved in protection from that sort of threat is huge.

The flat windscreens are proof of 23mm cannon rounds, but the bubble canopies are not bullet proof. Most of the shell is titanium and 12.7 resistant if not proof.

Most normal helos you can cup a ball point pen and push it through the metal fuselage... they are light fragile things.

The reason behind the small thick windows on the Mi-28 is armour... I have seen videos of 14.5mm HMGs being set up next to the cockpit and fired directly into the glass with no internal flaking or cracks... the side armour should offer better protection than the glass.

You would have serious trouble killing the crew with any small arm short of a rocket launcher.

The curved canopies are likely not bullet proof, but the windshields and armoured sides and bottom are probably very well protected.

The curved transparancies are likely not armoured... the armour plate on the Hip are the actual armour plates in front of the lower transparancies... actual sheet armour.

The bigger the helo the less armour it can use because the more weight it take to get it to x level of protection...

Protection is improving all the time with lightweight ceramic armour and of course self defence suites and kevlar and aramid liners.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:54 pm

George1

Post  George1 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:12 am

"Flying BMP" Mi-35M

Special training for the landing was conducted by special forces of the Southern Military District.

Why unusual? The fact is that in practice it has developed so that the main transport tasks are performed by Mi-8 helicopters and its modifications. Mi-8 has a more spacious cargo cabin, wide doorways, ramp and winch for easy loading and unloading of paratroopers and cargo.

However, the task of delivering the landing force can be carried out and traditionally used for the fire support of the Mi-35M, for this purpose the helicopter is equipped with a cargo cabin capable of accommodating 8 fighters in full equipment.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2711975.html

d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 pm

George1 wrote:"Flying BMP" Mi-35M

Special training for the landing was conducted by special forces of the Southern Military District.

Why unusual? The fact is that in practice it has developed so that the main transport tasks are performed by Mi-8 helicopters and its modifications. Mi-8 has a more spacious cargo cabin, wide doorways, ramp and winch for easy loading and unloading of paratroopers and cargo.

However, the task of delivering the landing force can be carried out and traditionally used for the fire support of the Mi-35M, for this purpose the helicopter is equipped with a cargo cabin capable of accommodating 8 fighters in full equipment.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2711975.html

to add to this
    this is one of the main reasons why i like the Mi-24/35 is that its so versatile, small armoured transport and can be armed for any occasion. And the reason why this will be around for a long time. The backbone of any armed helicopter force. And its proving it too in syria.

https://sputniknews.com/photo/201707061055279830-special-tactical-exercise/
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Combat helicopter Mi-35M (board number "33 blue") from the air force group of the Russian Air Force in Syria, on the forward side. A picture of Vadim Savitsky.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2851460.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm