Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+35
Cheetah
LMFS
kvs
Isos
JohninMK
mnztr
flamming_python
GunshipDemocracy
jhelb
RTN
Tsavo Lion
marcellogo
dino00
Hole
KiloGolf
PapaDragon
franco
Project Canada
kopyo-21
Honesroc
d_taddei2
max steel
mack8
George1
magnumcromagnon
Cyberspec
Viktor
medo
KomissarBojanchev
GarryB
Werewolf
TheArmenian
TR1
Austin
Admin
39 posters

Mi-24/35M Hinds: News

GarryB
    GarryB

Mi-24/35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/35M Hinds: News

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 am

It is probably an upgrade of an older model Hind that retains the old larger wing and retractable undercarriage...

Regarding the 23mm nose mounted cannon, it might be new ammo with plastic driving bands on the shells that increases muzzle velocity... either way the difference is not enormous and would have little practical effect on its effect on ground targets... I would assume the aiming fire control system would compensate for the muzzle velocity so rounds will still impact on target... the main round is a HE Frag so a minor increase in muzzle velocity wont effect performance very much.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm

GarryB wrote:It is probably an upgrade of an older model Hind that retains the old larger wing and retractable undercarriage...

Regarding the 23mm nose mounted cannon, it might be new ammo with plastic driving bands on the shells that increases muzzle velocity... either way the difference is not enormous and would have little practical effect on its effect on ground targets... I would assume the aiming fire control system would compensate for the muzzle velocity so rounds will still impact on target... the main round is a HE Frag so a minor increase in muzzle velocity wont effect performance very much.

It's an upgrade of the Mi-24P

And I wonder if it's not the new VDV 'flying BMP' that there was talk about modifying a Mi-24 into
    The VDV's new air mobile brigades are slated to be equipped with Mi-35s to transport troops, conduct recon and provide fire-support.
    This aircraft compared to the Mi-35M seems to focus on lighter armament and long-range optics/visuals.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:50 pm

It has the old wings, instead of missile rails it carries pods with sensors for the self-defence suit. Much better then the ugly covers on the cheeks of the Mi-35M.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 am

They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:52 am

GarryB wrote:They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.

I heard, but the VDV is still planning to use Mi-35s in the airborne IFV role
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:47 am

flamming_python wrote:
    GarryB wrote:They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

I'd rather give that niche roll for the new Mi-38/Ka-62. Mi-24/35's 'troop' compartment to fit the transport role, I'd much rather have future modernizations focus on converting that compartment in to a belt feed/connect ammo storage, with the 57mm grenade launcher replacing the chin mounted gun. Not to be mistaken for the 57mm autocannon, the 57mm grenade launcher would have low enough recoil to be riggedly placed on the chin to be accurate enough for 3 round burst fire. Specially made shells could be made in to missiles, with laser guidance, should be absolutely devastating!
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 pm

A good tribute to them: http://nvo.ng.ru/nvoevents/2020-02-19/100_200219news4.html?print=Y
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:38 pm

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun May 03, 2020 12:30 am

i have always been a fan of the Hind Mi-24/35. I with new upgrades the aircraft has just got better and its got armour + EW protection. The main reason i like it is its versatility, it can be armed for any type of mission and has the bonus of being able to carry troops, stretchers, or cargo (both inside and underslung) it really is multirole helicopter. I think its the main reason why its still in service and why many poorer countries operate the helicopter, its like having 3 helicopters into one, (small heli transport/ combat heli/ medivac.) and when your armed forces budget is tight to me its the best choice for a small airforce. Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do. recently looking at type of weapons and combinations of what it can carry it really is a deadly aircraft. to put it into perspective see the following examples of whats its capable of raining down on the enemy below:

S-5M1 (HE-FRAG producing 75 splinters) Hind can carry 128 rockets so that’s 9,600 splinters on a full launch of all 128 rockets that lethal for troops. Twisted Evil

S-5MO (FRAG 20 notched steel rings producing 360 fragments) 128 rockets so that’s 46,080 fragments of full launch you certainly don’t want to be anywhere near the impact area.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

S-5SB (Flechette contains 1,000-1,100 40mm long flechettes) 128 rockets so that’s 128,000 – 140,800 flechetts welcome to becoming a human dart board.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

S-5KPB (HEAT FRAG 250mm RHA penetration) 128 rockets that could make a mess of a convoy of light armour. You also have the cheaper S-5K1 HEAT 130mm against RHA.

S-5KOR a new rocket which is laser guided (0.8-1.8m CEP) 200mm RHA pen.

So as you can see even the smallest rocket (range 3-4KM) available to the HIND is devastating, especially at soft skinned vehicles, convoy’s and infantry. Remember its harder to find cover from attacks from above than horizontal fire.

S-8KOM (HEAT 400mm against RHA) HIND can carry total of 70-80 rockets, there is also a penetrator rocket 800mm Vs. reinforced concrete, and a Tandem HEAT 350-400mm Vs. RHA after ERA, all these would prove to be a nightmare for light armoured convoy such as APC, IFV, wheeled APC etc. most have a range of up to 4km apart from the new Broneboyshchik (HE FRAG PEN.) up to 6km. A laser guided version also available S-8KOR. Thermobaric rocket also available.

S-13 (penetrator 3m of earth/dirt and 1m of reinforced concrete, runways 20m squared) Hind can carry 10 rockets although this still leaves space for two rocket pods for other weapons such as S-5 rockets. so you could in theory destroy 200m squared worth of runway.

S-13T tandem HEAT (total penetration of 6m of earth/dirt and 1m of reinforced concrete)

S-13OF (APAM FRAG produces 450 splinters weighing 25-35g each can penetrate APC, IFV light armour, HIND can carry 10 rockets so that’s total of 4,500 splinters/fragments that’s pretty lethal against armour. thermobaric rockets and laser guided S-13KOR also available.

S-24 (with RV-24 fuse) Hind can carry 4 rockets (possibly 6 rockets) (plus will still be able to carry wingtip rockets and main gun) detonates a few meters above the ground with 4,000 fragments that will penetrate 25-30mm of armour and covering blast radius of 300-400m, so if all four were fired at same area you could have a 300-400m blast radius with a saturation of 16,000 fragments that can penetrate 25-30mm of armour, or whats better is firing rockets in a way as to create a large massive blast radius of minimum 1,200m across of course this would be fairly hard to get right but either way a large area will be saturated and light armour and troops will be in serious trouble.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

Of course this isn’t including the main gun 23-30mm cannon or wingtip missiles such as Shturm or Ataka, in which two can be carried in pairs on each wing tip. So the heli could be armed in a variety of ways depending on the mission. It can also carry various gun pods such as 12.7mm or 7.62mm gattling type guns, AGS systems can also be carried. If it was on a an anti armour/anti tank mission is could carry up to 20 Shturm / Ataka + 23mm or 30mm main gun that could be potentially 20 MBT taken out with one heli. But of course this is only on paper and the battlefield its totally different. And various combination can be done an almost endless list of variations.

I remember mentions of ease of access getting on and off wasn’t great but that could easily be rectified with a wider opening and different doors etc. And maybe its possible a new version might be designed/upgraded for VDV in that role that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    They could design a few version one with a drop off pod that slots into troop compartment could carr any number of supplies. Another version I think could be useful is a rocket pod system where the large rocket pod likely would carry around 4-6 times of a normal pod
    (S-5 for example) which could extend out of the sides of the helicopter (retractable) or a small bombing bay to drop dumb bombs could carry 5-6 KAB 250, or drop/scatter cluster type munitions anti personnel or anti armour bomblets/mines. Or even drop something similar to what smerch carries a cluster munition self-guided anti-tank dropping at height, or even a small rotary launcher or just extra pylons carrying more anti armour missiles, upgrades of these types would truly allow the hind to become a jack of all trades and be a truly multipurpose heli with increased uses, this could be useful for export to poorer countries giving them more functions or methods, and could even carry out certain missions that a fixed aircraft or MLRS would have to do. Of course if could only carry out such functions if the threat level made it available for it to do so.

I dont think we will see a replace for the Hind for decades, although i do see a major upgraded version being designed with more versatility/multirole.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 am

flamming_python wrote:

Not a bad option for picking up a downed pilot if the LZ is not too hot and if you have a few other helos to supress the locals.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 03, 2020 11:29 am

Magnum... if I was driving down that road and that Hind blew past I would sht myself and probably have an accident... what a vid...

Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do.

The old model Hinds didn't have any capacity to determine range to target so rocket fire and gun fire was very much a hit and miss affair.

Current models with new EO balls with laser rangefinders and thermal imagers and digital video sensors dramatically improve the Hinds ability to deliver rocket and gun fire and it is much more capable.

They initially tried to use the Hind as a sort of cross between a pure attack helo and a transport helo... a bit like a cross between an Mi-28 and an Mi-8, but they found that its fire power was useless while it was on the ground and just having side doors meant getting into and out of it was much slower... meaning more time on the ground and vulnerable despite its much better armour than the Mi-8.

For police or special forces use it is flexible and capable, but as a troop transport they found it was better to put troops in an Mi-8 or Mi-17 and have fewer troop transports and more attack aircraft... an Mi-17 would fly in and launch 6 pods worth of 57mm rockets and then touch down and take on or drop off troops from each side and the rear ramp doors and then leave while armed helos flew around shooting at anything that tried to interfere. One thing the Hind is useful for is carrying extra ammo in the rear so in a quiet place you can dot down and reload some rockets or ATGMs.

The new model Hinds have similar pylon level weaponry to the Mi-28 and I actually think the twin barrel 23mm cannon actually suits its role much better than the much more powerful 30mm cannon the other helos carry. The round is compact so lots of rounds can be carried.... it is essentially a HMG like round of low velocity but a much better HE payload than any HMG round. If they needed armour piercing rounds an APFSDS round would be rather potent I would think against most light vehicles. Much like a SLAP round for a 14.5mm gun but with more case capacity.

The main reason they dropped the 57mm rockets was because of its limited capacity, but I rather suspect Laser guided versions and in fact a decent ballistic computer and laser range finding of the current model Hinds would significantly improve accuracy and performance.

Will be interesting to see if they revive the 57mm calibre rockets with these new box shaped rocket pods as well as the 80mm and 122mm rockets.

There are other rockets as well, for instance the S-8PM which deploys a chaff cloud in front of the aircraft to fool radar guided weapon and sensors, and there is also the S-8TsM which is a smoke rocket for marking targets or landing zones on the ground. The S-8OM is an illumination rocket which delivers two illumination flares to a range of 4 to 4.5km that burn for about 30 seconds.. The fuel air explosive rocket is the S-8DM which contains 2.5kg of mixture with the effect of about 6kgs of HE.

The S-13 is the anti runway rocket, but the S-13T is supposed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and then send fragments inside to destroy aircraft... so the idea is that if an F-16 is inside a 1m concrete hangar with 6m of dirt on top... this missile will punch through the 6m of dirt and then blow a hole through the 1m of concrete and send an explosive inside to send fragments and flames inside to damage the aircraft inside.

Also you forgot the S-25... the S-25O and S-25OFM are basically rockets with a body diameter of 266mm that is launched from a tube with a head diameter of 420mm (O) or 340mm (OFM). It is a bit like an aircraft carried RPG-7 with the warhead being a 150kg bomb direct fired at the target.

For extra range and precision the S-25L is the laser guided model with a nose mounted laser seeker and control fins...

If they do have plans to use an upgraded Hind as an airborne APC then there is plenty of scope to modify its design... add a rear ramp door for a start and a shift around of internal bits and pieces.

There was criticism in the afghan war about them beign shot at from behind after they flew through an area... specifically suggesting a tail gun... well with new examples of RWS on armoured vehicles how hard would it be to mount a rear facing 50 cal gatling with tons of internal ammo... or perhaps a 40mm grenade launcher perhaps...

The Hind is fairly unique and has plenty of potential... later models with compact wings with the same wing armament as the Mi-28 is interesting too... but I could imagine a revised rear area with a rear ramp but also a pusher propeller for higher speeds and perhaps more turret mounted guns for suppressive fire in any direction...
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm

GarryB wrote:Magnum... if I was driving down that road and that Hind blew past I would sht myself and probably have an accident... what a vid...

Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do.

The old model Hinds didn't have any capacity to determine range to target so rocket fire and gun fire was very much a hit and miss affair.

Current models with new EO balls with laser rangefinders and thermal imagers and digital video sensors dramatically improve the Hinds ability to deliver rocket and gun fire and it is much more capable.

They initially tried to use the Hind as a sort of cross between a pure attack helo and a transport helo... a bit like a cross between an Mi-28 and an Mi-8, but they found that its fire power was useless while it was on the ground and just having side doors meant getting into and out of it was much slower... meaning more time on the ground and vulnerable despite its much better armour than the Mi-8.

For police or special forces use it is flexible and capable, but as a troop transport they found it was better to put troops in an Mi-8 or Mi-17 and have fewer troop transports and more attack aircraft... an Mi-17 would fly in and launch 6 pods worth of 57mm rockets and then touch down and take on or drop off troops from each side and the rear ramp doors and then leave while armed helos flew around shooting at anything that tried to interfere. One thing the Hind is useful for is carrying extra ammo in the rear so in a quiet place you can dot down and reload some rockets or ATGMs.

The new model Hinds have similar pylon level weaponry to the Mi-28 and I actually think the twin barrel 23mm cannon actually suits its role much better than the much more powerful 30mm cannon the other helos carry. The round is compact so lots of rounds can be carried.... it is essentially a HMG like round of low velocity but a much better HE payload than any HMG round. If they needed armour piercing rounds an APFSDS round would be rather potent I would think against most light vehicles. Much like a SLAP round for a 14.5mm gun but with more case capacity.

The main reason they dropped the 57mm rockets was because of its limited capacity, but I rather suspect Laser guided versions and in fact a decent ballistic computer and laser range finding of the current model Hinds would significantly improve accuracy and performance.

Will be interesting to see if they revive the 57mm calibre rockets with these new box shaped rocket pods as well as the 80mm and 122mm rockets.

There are other rockets as well, for instance the S-8PM which deploys a chaff cloud in front of the aircraft to fool radar guided weapon and sensors, and there is also the S-8TsM which is a smoke rocket for marking targets or landing zones on the ground. The S-8OM is an illumination rocket which delivers two illumination flares to a range of 4 to 4.5km that burn for about 30 seconds.. The fuel air explosive rocket is the S-8DM which contains 2.5kg of mixture with the effect of about 6kgs of HE.

The S-13 is the anti runway rocket, but the S-13T is supposed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and then send fragments inside to destroy aircraft... so the idea is that if an F-16 is inside a 1m concrete hangar with 6m of dirt on top... this missile will punch through the 6m of dirt and then blow a hole through the 1m of concrete and send an explosive inside to send fragments and flames inside to damage the aircraft inside.

Also you forgot the S-25... the S-25O and S-25OFM are basically rockets with a body diameter of 266mm that is launched from a tube with a head diameter of 420mm (O) or 340mm (OFM). It is a bit like an aircraft carried RPG-7 with the warhead being a 150kg bomb direct fired at the target.

For extra range and precision the S-25L is the laser guided model with a nose mounted laser seeker and control fins...

If they do have plans to use an upgraded Hind as an airborne APC then there is plenty of scope to modify its design... add a rear ramp door for a start and a shift around of internal bits and pieces.

There was criticism in the afghan war about them beign shot at from behind after they flew through an area... specifically suggesting a tail gun... well with new examples of RWS on armoured vehicles how hard would it be to mount a rear facing 50 cal gatling with tons of internal ammo... or perhaps a 40mm grenade launcher perhaps...

The Hind is fairly unique and has plenty of potential... later models with compact wings with the same wing armament as the Mi-28 is interesting too... but I could imagine a revised rear area with a rear ramp but also a pusher propeller for higher speeds and perhaps more turret mounted guns for suppressive fire in any direction...

Quite agree on a few points, I didn't forget the S-25 but didn't include as the post was already long and the variety offered in it was many and didn't see the need to include. As I said having a storage pod design that could slot in and out could easily be designed to come out of the back. So as troop transport u have rear doors but u also have added advantage of being able to slot in some kind of pod carrying extra ammo, dumb bombs dropped out of the rear or as mentioned some pods of extra tickets that could extend out of the sides to increase the rocket count. You imagine having and extra 6 pods of S-5 (128 rockets + 192 rockets) using splinter or steel ring frag rockets that's a lot of fragments/shrapnel flying around and if it was flechette rockets that's a monsoon of a hail of darts (upto 352,000)
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 am

Russia’s Radio-Electronic Technologies Group (KRET, within the state hi-tech corporation Rostec) is carrying out work to upgrade the Mil Mi-24 attack helicopter to the level of the latest-generation Mi-28NM gunship, CEO of Rychag Company (part of KRET) Alexei Panin said on Friday.

“A defensive aids suite unrivaled both in Russia and in the world is mounted on the helicopter. It is being developed by the company Stella-K and allows shielding the helicopter from the most advanced weapons, as well as conducting radio-technical reconnaissance and jamming,” the chief executive said.

“The advanced radio-electronic equipment installed on the Mi-24 makes it possible to achieve combat efficiency comparable with the latest-generation helicopters at a far less cost compared with the purchases of new helicopters,” he said.

After its upgrade, the Mi-24 will feature the latest onboard equipment developed by KRET enterprises. The pilots’ cabin will be made using the ‘glass cockpit’ principle. It will be outfitted with the most advanced piloting equipment to provide for a possibility to operate the gunship day and night in any weather conditions and at low altitudes, using digital mapping based on visual and instrument flight principles.

Also, the helicopter’s lighting equipment has been adapted for using night vision goggles.

The latest weapon control system will allow increasing the gunship’s firepower and providing for the long-range employment of guided missile armament. The range of missile armament has been considerably expanded.

Source: TASS, June 26, 2020

dino00 likes this post

kopyo-21

Post  kopyo-21 Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:53 pm

I remember I read somewhere that the radio pod that used to guide Ataka ATGM on Mi-24D/V/P has a function of range-finder, too.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 am

Are you sure?

I have seen them with their covers off and they look like little radars, but I always thought it was for communication with the missile as a sort of data link to transmit flight control signals with an optical tracker following the missile and measuring its flight deviation from the line of sight (ie how far off it is from the crosshair used to aim the missile)

If anyone does have any information about how they work it would be interesting to discuss it here... command guidance was used on the Swatter as well as the Shturm and Ataka and now Krisantema though the latter two have been upgraded with laser beam riding guidance backups.

Some descriptions of Krisantema guidance appear to me to be more like SARH where the target is marked by radar and the missile homes in on the signal reflection...

this thread is about to get a lot shorter as I will move the posts about GLONASS guided artillery shells to a more suitable thread...
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:57 am

kopyo-21 wrote:I remember I read somewhere that the radio pod that used to guide Ataka ATGM on Mi-24D/V/P has a function of range-finder, too.

Not really possible. For a range-finder you need a beam like a laser to point a precise location.

Radio emmits 360° and can't measure any distance like that.
    kopyo-21

Post  kopyo-21 Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 am

GarryB wrote:Are you sure?

I have seen them with their covers off and they look like little radars, but I always thought it was for communication with the missile as a sort of data link to transmit flight control signals with an optical tracker following the missile and measuring its flight deviation from the line of sight (ie how far off it is from the crosshair used to aim the missile)

If anyone does have any information about how they work it would be interesting to discuss it here... command guidance was used on the Swatter as well as the Shturm and Ataka and now Krisantema though the latter two have been upgraded with laser beam riding guidance backups.

Some descriptions of Krisantema guidance appear to me to be more like SARH where the target is marked by radar and the missile homes in on the signal reflection...
    I read about this and could not find the source now.

About Krisantema ATGM system, they have 3 modes to guide missile, can use either optronic-optical or radar or combined both of them to track both target and missile then send guidance command to the missile.
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

Post  marcellogo Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:58 pm

GarryB wrote:Are you sure?

this thread is about to get a lot shorter as I will move the posts about GLONASS guided artillery shells to a more suitable thread...

Radio command and Sarh are two different guidance systems using electromagnetic waves, in firs case your search radar get both position of target and missile and send signals to missile to correct its own course, with Sarh they illuminate target with an ad hoc device (CW radar) and the missile direct toward it autonomously thanks to a receiving antenna.
    Radio command was developed first but fell quickly from favor given that SARH had the great advantage to increase its own precision the more the missile came closer to the target, ESA radars allowed the adoption of the TvM system combining the best of both words: you can direct several missiles to different targets using radio command but keep ing the pinpoint precision of Sarh guidance for terminal engagement.

For AT missiles however the range restriction associate to radio command have no practical effect, still the preferred systems for those class of weapon are actually optical or laser based i.e. Saclos, SALH or beam riding.
    Active guidance systems are much more promising on paper than in actual use as they are both VERY costly and prone to countermeasures (soft kill systems).
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:05 am

They now have long range missiles: https://rg.ru/2020/08/24/reg-ufo/tehnika-i-taktika-kak-vojna-v-sirii-izmenila-boevye-vertolety-rossii.html?utm_source=relap&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=main
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:18 am

So if this is true then they have already tested Germes ATGM in Syria.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 am

I remember I read somewhere that the radio pod that used to guide Ataka ATGM on Mi-24D/V/P has a function of range-finder, too.

It was nothing like a radar... and more like a radio remote control antenna sending flight commands to the missile in flight.

About Krisantema ATGM system, they have 3 modes to guide missile, can use either optronic-optical or radar or combined both of them to track both target and missile then send guidance command to the missile.

There is no optical sensor in its nose... it has side mounted thruster rocket motors leaving the tail with sensors for a laser beam receiver and a radar beam...

In use, the vehicle launching the missile will have an optical sensor tracking the target and pointing a laser beam at the target to track the target. The missile on launch looks back and teh launch vehicle directly into the laser beam that is pointing at the target. The missile detects its position in the beam... ie high or low, left or right... and will manouver itself to get into the centre of the beam which it will follow to impact.

When used as a radar homing weapon, say in zero visibility, the radar is used to detect the target... the missile is launched and the radar tracks both the target and the outgoing missile... course correction signals are sent to the missile to manouver it into a flight path that will hit the target.

It can guide two missiles at one time where one uses the optical system and laser to engage one target and a radar lock to track the other and guide the other missile.

Radio command and Sarh are two different guidance systems using electromagnetic waves, in firs case your search radar get both position of target and missile and send signals to missile to correct its own course, with Sarh they illuminate target with an ad hoc device (CW radar) and the missile direct toward it autonomously thanks to a receiving antenna.

The problem is that I am pretty sure the Krisantema does not have a radar antenna in its nose for SARH guidance... having a datalink communication antenna in its tail means if the radar on the vehicle or aircraft tracks both the target and the outgoing missile it could send flight commands to the outgoing missile easily enough.

There was a plan for a new helicopter called the Mi-40 or something that was going to be a modified version of the Mi-28 with troop carrying capacity a bit like what the Mi-8 is to the Mi-24, except going the other way... instead of turning a troop carrier helicopter into an attack helo it was supposed to take an attack helicopter and add a troop carrying component.

Guess they think it makes more sense to continue with the Hind.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Yandex Translated as couldn't be fked

https://russianhelicopters.aero/media/vr_lopast

Russian Helicopters holding company (part of rostec state Corporation) presented a new all-composite helicopter blade that will increase the maximum speed of mi-28 and Mi-35 combat helicopters at the Army 2020 International military technical forum
    This blade has new elastic-mass and aerodynamic characteristics, it is manufactured using the technology of one-step molding in the mold. The new blade was tested in the flying laboratory of a promising high-speed helicopter.
    "During the tests, the flying laboratory based on the Mi-24 helicopter, equipped with a set of new blades, reached a speed of more than 400 km/h without making schematic changes to the design of the helicopter. At the same time, we managed to maintain a low level of vibrations and loads, which indicates the high potential of this development," said Andrey Boginsky, General Director of the Russian Helicopters holding.
    Currently, the blades with the new profile are undergoing factory flight tests on the Mi-28N helicopter.

Mi-24/35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Img_3410

miketheterrible and Tingsay like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:02 am

Wow... that is a huge speed increase with just new rotor blades... with the huge advantage that it is relatively easy to apply to the entire fleet of helicopters and should allow a performance boost across the entire fleet...
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Mil & Kamov together: https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/9265273

LMFS likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm

GarryB wrote:Wow... that is a huge speed increase with just new rotor blades... with the huge advantage that it is relatively easy to apply to the entire fleet of helicopters and should allow a performance boost across the entire fleet...

It's a little misleading I think

As those blades were tested on the flying lab Mi-24 (based on the Mi-24K), which is single-seat and has no wings. They managed to get that thing up to 400 km/h. I believe the plans call for getting it up to 440-450 km/h with subsequent modifications.

But still just the blades will provide a speed boost to serial Mi-24 and Mi-28 machines too; even +20-30 km/h would be good

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm