Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Share
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Kuznetsov in danger.

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm

    The future of the Russian navy aircraft carrier component is in doubt after the Russian defense ministry decided to have its nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser, the Admiral Nakhimov, rather than its aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, repaired and refitted at Sevmash, the nation’s largest dockyard.

    Sevmash had considered taking either the Nakhimov or the Kuznetsov for extended work after its facilities in the port city of Severodvinsk, including a large dry dock, became available following the conversion of the Kiev-class carrier Admiral Gorshkov into the INS Vikramaditya for the Indian navy. Top Russian and Indian officials are expected to participate in a departure ceremony for the Vikramaditya in mid-November.

    After some studies, Sevmash expressed a preference for repairing the Nakhimov, a decision supported by the defense ministry, which is expected to issue an order for the work after the Vikramaditya is formally handed over to the Indian navy. By volume and complexity, the work to be done on the modernization and refit of the Nakhimov will be close to that done on the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya.

    Meanwhile, the condition of the Admiral Kuznetsov has been gradually deteriorating following a major, four-year-long repair completed in 2004, due to a lack of high-quality repair facilities at Severomorsk, near Murmansk, where the ship is based. With Sevmash working at capacity on submarines and eventually the Nakhimov, only the Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg is capable of building or refitting the largest capital ships. But the Baltic Sea region’s status as a nuclear weapon-free zone has complicated prospects for repairing the Kuznetsov.

    The Kuznetsov carries Sukhoi Su-33 single-seat interceptors and Su-25UTG two-seat subsonic trainers with limited land-strike capability, as well as Kamov Ka-27/29 helicopters. The ship’s advertised capacity is 50 fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft, but the Russian navy does not make public the exact numbers of aircraft on board the ship. The number of Su-33s is estimated to fall between 15 and 20. Last year, the defense ministry placed an order for 24 MiG-29K/KUBs to supplement and eventually replace in-service Su-33s.

    As it stands, the long-needed modernization and refit of the Kuznetsov will either be postponed again or may never happen. A next-generation carrier of similar displacement (55,000 to 60,000 tons) under development by the Nevskoye Design Bureau could take the ship’s place. However, the Kremlin has not decided whether such a ship will be constructed.
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3301
    Points : 3389
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  medo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 pm

    I don't think Kuznetsov is in any danger. It will get its new air squadron with Mig-29K/KUB. Ship was not that long ago repaired and not so often on sea, so it could easily wait Nakhimov to be repaired and modernized. On the other hand Nakhimov is top priority, because Pacific fleet need that cruiser to work with and defend new Mistral ships in open sea.
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 pm

    When the kuznetsov will deploy to syria end of the year will it carry su-33 or mig-29k or a mix?
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17691
    Points : 18291
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

    Well that is good news as it means two important things... first that the Nakhimov is getting a full refit likely including everything... propulsion, sensors, electronics, and weapons and systems.

    Second that a nuclear free Baltic means the K can't be upgraded there... clearly they are going to add nuclear propulsion to the K which has only been speculation so far...

    How many Russian Mig-29Ks have been delivered?

    I would expect if it sails to Syria any time soon it will probably have a mix though the Mig-29K will be the most potent fighter on board...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 am

    GarryB wrote:Well that is good news as it means two important things... first that the Nakhimov is getting a full refit likely including everything... propulsion, sensors, electronics, and weapons and systems.

    Second that a nuclear free Baltic means the K can't be upgraded there... clearly they are going to add nuclear propulsion to the K which has only been speculation so far...

    How many Russian Mig-29Ks have been delivered?

    I would expect if it sails to Syria any time soon it will probably have a mix though the Mig-29K will be the most potent fighter on board...
    The only thing i know about the mig-29k is that the delivery started in 2010 but i think there will be enough for an entire airwing.
    avatar
    SOC

    Posts : 581
    Points : 628
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 40
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  SOC on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 am

    GarryB wrote:Second that a nuclear free Baltic means the K can't be upgraded there... clearly they are going to add nuclear propulsion to the K which has only been speculation so far...
    Don't the SS-N-19s have nuclear warheads, or were those removed or dearmed?

    GarryB wrote:How many Russian Mig-29Ks have been delivered?
    I know of at least two flying around Yeysk this summer.

    dionis

    Posts : 61
    Points : 60
    Join date : 2012-12-13

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  dionis on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

    The fact that there is only one dry dock large enough to work on ships of that size is pretty pathetic. Neutral
    avatar
    runaway

    Posts : 384
    Points : 403
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  runaway on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:34 pm

    I dont think the Kutznetsov is in any danger, no big deal if she wont go to an upgrade the most important is a good air wing and escort ships.
    The Nahkimov is badly needed in the pacific when the Mistrals get there, and after that Peter the great will need the same upgrade.
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 5691
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  TR1 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

    dionis wrote:The fact that there is only one dry dock large enough to work on ships of that size is pretty pathetic. Neutral
    How many ships of that size does Russia operate?

    Not so pathetic anymore.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17691
    Points : 18291
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 am

    The only thing i know about the mig-29k is that the delivery started in 2010 but i think there will be enough for an entire airwing.
    According to this article:

    http://en.ria.ru/military_news/20131022/184294872/MiG-Begins-Testing-New-Russian-Navy-Fighter-Jets-.html

    Mig has just started testing the Mig-29Ks ordered by the Russian Navy.

    The contract was signed Feb 2012 for 20 single seat and 4 two seat aircraft, the first four of which will be delivered by the end of this year (2013).

    The 2010 contract was for Indian Migs which were delivered on time.

    I rather doubt they will take them to syrian waters in such a case... they will use them at their new carrier training facility and then start landing them on the Kuznetsov, though I suspect they likely took the opportunity to give some of their pilots experience with the Indian Migs for landing and flight experience.

    Don't the SS-N-19s have nuclear warheads, or were those removed or dearmed?
    Removing them from their tubes would be trivial and it is very unlikely the missiles would be loaded for a complete refit that includes replacing the missile tubes anyway.

    And of course the other reason... why would 12 Granits in tubes stop the K upgrade when the ship they are upgrading instead carries 20 Granits and has part nuclear propulsion already?

    I know of at least two flying around Yeysk this summer.
    They will likely be Mig test birds checking the different equipment for the Russian Navy is working before handing them over to the RuN.

    The fact that there is only one dry dock large enough to work on ships of that size is pretty pathetic.
    Who said they only have one?

    There is a world of difference between only having one and only having one available.

    The Nahkimov is badly needed in the pacific when the Mistrals get there, and after that Peter the great will need the same upgrade.
    Exactly, and the second upgrade should be easier with the experience of the first under their belt... at the end of the day the Russian Navy doesn't need the day to day use of a fixed wing carrier as it only makes the occasional long voyage... once its Kirovs are patched up and fully upgraded however they will be formidable ships to base a carrier group around... that will be when a carrier will be vastly more useful.



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    SOC

    Posts : 581
    Points : 628
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 40
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  SOC on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:06 am

    GarryB wrote:And of course the other reason... why would 12 Granits in tubes stop the K upgrade when the ship they are upgrading instead carries 20 Granits and has part nuclear propulsion already?
    No, I was wonering if the Granits might be enough to prevent Kuznetsov from using the Baltic facilities for upgrade work while Nakhimov is in Severodvinsk.

    GarryB wrote:They will likely be Mig test birds checking the different equipment for the Russian Navy is working before handing them over to the RuN.
    Maybe, but they may also be part of an operational unit sent there for local workup while the ski-jump is finished, there was an Su-25UTG with them at the time.

    EDIT: nevermind, no they aren't, not if the report that the first VMF birds are entering flight test is accurate.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7250
    Points : 7542
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 pm

    Which docks could build or upgrade an aircraft carrier in Russia?
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17691
    Points : 18291
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:05 am

    AFAIK the Granits are to be removed as part of the upgrade so I rather doubt they would go to an upgrade with missiles in the tubes.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 5691
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  TR1 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 am

    The Granits have been removed from Kuzya a long time ago in any case.
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 5691
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  TR1 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 am

    http://www.balancer.ru/forum/punbb/attachment.php?item=359073&download=2&type=.jpg

    WHat a pretty pic of Kuzya.

    Come to think of it, if this planned modernization does actually happen ( I would rather see that than new carriers in the near future) then the empty phased array banks can finally be filled by Poliment.
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:13 pm

    TR1 wrote:http://www.balancer.ru/forum/punbb/attachment.php?item=359073&download=2&type=.jpg

    WHat a pretty pic of Kuzya.

    Come to think of it, if this planned modernization does actually happen ( I would rather see that than new carriers in the near future) then the empty phased array banks can finally be filled by Poliment.
    If the russians dont equip the K with cats i think its smarter to make a new carrier. And IF they equip the K with cats i think a sister ship isnt a wrong idea.
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Kuznetsov deployment?

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:29 pm

    They said that the K would probally deploy to syria by this end year, but i didnt heard anything about it and couldnt find something about it.
    Does anyone know if the K will still deploy to syria??? Is the K in Murmansk at the moment?


    Thanks, Flyingdutchman.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17691
    Points : 18291
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 am

    I would expect it will be taking on its new Mig-29s and will likely be involved in lots of training exercises to get as many pilots current on the new aircraft and also day/night current.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 pm

    GarryB wrote:I would expect it will be taking on its new Mig-29s and will likely be involved in lots of training exercises to get as many pilots current on the new aircraft and also day/night current.
    So it will deploy to syria?
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3301
    Points : 3389
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  medo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

    I doubt. Kuznetsov will more probably care for northern route and Arctic region.
    avatar
    SOC

    Posts : 581
    Points : 628
    Join date : 2011-09-13
    Age : 40
    Location : Indianapolis

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  SOC on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:55 am

    Pre-cruise workup was in early October. Supposed to head for the Med in December (i.e. anytime now). Four MiG-29Ks just got delivered so they're probably not going to be there, although they may show up while the K is in the Med. These are probably the airframes seen at Yeysk this summer checking out NITKA's replacement (unless those were Indian FULCRUMs, can't tell in the overheads), so if they're still down there/head back down there they could join up with K sometime. Otherwise they'll likely head to Severomorsk-3 and wait for K to return.
    avatar
    zg18

    Posts : 884
    Points : 960
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    Admiral Kuznetsov

    Post  zg18 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 pm

    TAVKR "Admiral Kuznetsov" set sailed for a longer voyage (Mediterranean and North Atlantic)

    http://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201312171348-ad8c.htm
    avatar
    runaway

    Posts : 384
    Points : 403
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  runaway on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 am

    MOSCOW, January 10 (RIA Novosti) – A naval task force led by Russia’s largest warship has passed through the English Channel on its way to the Mediterranean, a Russian military official said on Friday.
    The group carried out naval aviation exercises while passing close to UK territorial waters, Captain 2nd Class Yevgeny Kirillov said.
    The group of ships, consisting of the Russian Navy’s sole aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and five escort vessels from Russia’s Northern Fleet, had days earlier anchored in the Moray Firth off the coast of Scotland due to inclement weather, the UK Defense Ministry confirmed on its website on Friday.
    The Royal Navy dispatched the Type 45 destroyer HMS Defender from Portsmouth on December 19 to escort the Russian task force. Goodwill messages were exchanged between the Russian and British ships on New Year’s Eve, the UK Defense Ministry added.
    The Russian carrier group left port on December 17 for the deployment.
    In August, Russian news agencies quoted a military source saying a long-distance sea deployment by Russian warships including the Admiral Kuznetsov would call at Russia’s only Mediterranean naval facility located in the Syrian port city of Tartus.
    A task force led by the Admiral Kuznetsov made a port call at Tartus two years ago.
    The Kuznetsov has an air group including Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker-D fighter jets and antisubmarine helicopters.

    And i would guess a few MiG-29K.

    avatar
    Flyingdutchman

    Posts : 543
    Points : 561
    Join date : 2013-07-30
    Location : The Netherlands

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Flyingdutchman on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

    runaway wrote:MOSCOW, January 10 (RIA Novosti) – A naval task force led by Russia’s largest warship has passed through the English Channel on its way to the Mediterranean, a Russian military official said on Friday.
    The group carried out naval aviation exercises while passing close to UK territorial waters, Captain 2nd Class Yevgeny Kirillov said.
    The group of ships, consisting of the Russian Navy’s sole aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and five escort vessels from Russia’s Northern Fleet, had days earlier anchored in the Moray Firth off the coast of Scotland due to inclement weather, the UK Defense Ministry confirmed on its website on Friday.
    The Royal Navy dispatched the Type 45 destroyer HMS Defender from Portsmouth on December 19 to escort the Russian task force. Goodwill messages were exchanged between the Russian and British ships on New Year’s Eve, the UK Defense Ministry added.
    The Russian carrier group left port on December 17 for the deployment.
    In August, Russian news agencies quoted a military source saying a long-distance sea deployment by Russian warships including the Admiral Kuznetsov would call at Russia’s only Mediterranean naval facility located in the Syrian port city of Tartus.
    A task force led by the Admiral Kuznetsov made a port call at Tartus two years ago.
    The Kuznetsov has an air group including Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker-D fighter jets and antisubmarine helicopters.

    And i would guess a few MiG-29K.


    NICE!!!!! and yes i would guess a few mig-29k's to!



    Another question i read that the Kuznetsov will be decommissioned in 2025-2030 what will happen then are there any serious plans for any aircraft carriers in the future?
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 5691
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 am

    No MiG-29Ks on this voyage whatsoever.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 am