Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

Post  JohninMK on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 pm

The flotilla passed Andoya in Northern Norway today. Lovely flat sea, relaxed pace, 5 aircraft and a chopper on deck. Assume photos from a RNAF P-3 Orion.

Compare and contract the two photos, a whole lot of paint gone onto that ship!

https://twitter.com/M3t4_tr0n/status/788119553637244928

Thanks for the link Aldin, if you are still around here.

par far
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  par far on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 pm

When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:46 am

I would like to see the sort of weapons they operate with... especially the Ka-52s, but also the MiGs and Flankers.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 pm

This article includes a very good and detailed video clip of the Kuznetsov off Dover.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-21/navy-vessels-follow-russian-warships-every-inch-of-the-way-as-they-pass-through-channel-on-their-way-to-syria/

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

They really need to do something with that engine.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm

par far wrote:When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.

There are alot of photos from Kuznecov from 2009. and 2012. online from the inside.

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 pm

JohninMK wrote:They really need to do something with that engine.

I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Project Canada wrote:

I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes

If it stays as originally imagined Storm will have nuclear propulsion.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 pm

It's interesting, that on the deck are ready to take off and armed with AAMs only Su-33 fighters and no MiG-29K. They are all in hangar.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Looks like Kuznetsov have not modernized Su-33 fighters with Gefest SVP-24.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:00 pm

medo wrote:.............[/url]

No need really. MiGs will be doing the bombing. 33's are there for air patrols and to boost Su-30/35 complement.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm

English navy ship fans out in small boats with good cameras.

Last edited by JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

A1RMAN
    Private
    Private

Post  A1RMAN on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

zg18 wrote:

Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

marat
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  marat on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:13 am

A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

marat wrote:
    A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.

Smoke isn't a problem but the propulsion system is, it does need to be replaced.

I would just go with a diesel engine, like I said doubt they will go Nuclear with this thing.

For this particular ship Nuclear power would provide it no real use nothing diesel couldn't anyway.

Giulio
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Giulio on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 pm

medo wrote:

Afaik SVP-24 is a black boxes system in the aircraft, not an external pod. Wingtips pods in the Su-33s or Su-34s are, I think, movable RWR/ECM "Sorbitzia" systems.

RedJasmin
    Private
    Private

Post  RedJasmin on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Some fantastic pictures there. I live on the south coast of the UK and was hoping to see them pass from here, but they were too far out by the time they got along to my stretch of beach. Sad

I have to agree Soloyvov though, that propulsion system doesn't seem very healthy, and has been the K's Achilles's Heel from the start. Future carriers really do need to be nuclear, as Russia just doesn't have the network of friendly ports and bases overseas to ensure they will be able to fuel up on long missions. While it might not be worth it for the K herself in direct terms, treating her a testbed for new technologies going into future carriers could be a good move - and a well tested propulsion/power plant could help avoid the very problems on future ships that happened with the K.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 pm

A Dutch Navy picture from the North Sea with more planes on deck, taken from one of their NH-90s. Good picture of the lifts.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:05 pm

A bit OT but just to show she is not alone in the smokey stakes. Now this looks like a really knackered engine, USS Freedom, incidently one of their much hyped Literal Combat Ships and only8 years old.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Giulio wrote:
    medo wrote:

Afaik SVP-24 is a black boxes system in the aircraft, not an external pod. Wingtips pods in the Su-33s or Su-34s are, I think, movable RWR/ECM "Sorbitzia" systems.

Point is, that b/n 76 and 62 were not between those modernized with SVP-24 in Zhukovsky.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:27 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:.............

Smoke isn't a problem but the propulsion system is, it does need to be replaced.

I would just go with a diesel engine, like I said doubt they will go Nuclear with this thing.

For this particular ship Nuclear power would provide it no real use nothing diesel couldn't anyway.

We are really wasting time with all the smoke discussion. It does not look pretty and engines are not really perfect but I am sure RU Navy is more than aware of it.

The thing is this ship was already on it's way to dock for total overhaul, engines included. It was pulled out at last second precisely so it would take opportunity to participate in this little Syrian get together. Six months from now it will be off to dockyard for several years.

Crowd on the internet can use this opportunity to have some laughs. I don't really see the problem. They laughed at other stuff before. And just like then they won't be laughing once this thing starts raining down fiery death on rodents in Syria.

Big_Gazza
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Nah, there is nothing wrong with steam propulsion. The K just needs efficient & reliable boilers and a full refurb on her turbines. The powerplant of the Vikramaditiya is an example of how the K should look after her planned upgrade. She runs virtually smoke free.

storm333
    Private
    Private

Post  storm333 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:48 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Nah, there is nothing wrong with steam propulsion.  The K just needs efficient & reliable boilers and a full refurb on her turbines.  The powerplant of the Vikramaditiya is an example of how the K should look after her planned upgrade. She runs virtually smoke free.

The black smoke indicates that there is a problem with the boiler.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 am

There is no question about it that Kuz has certain issues with its boilers, most likely its not managing to burn oil efficent enough (too low temperatures i presume) which leads to this... coal burning like pillar of smoke.

However beside issues with boilers, it seems K had issues with its "transmission" so to call it too. All of this will require major overhauls of the system or its complete replacement.. however... i dont see diesels coming into play. Mostly coz Russia atm does not have so big diesels on its disposal.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:25 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:25 pm