Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Share
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3189
    Points : 3279
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  medo on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    medo wrote:

    Does anyone have pictures with good enough resolution to see the b/n of Su-33, to see, if they are modernized ones from Zhukovsky or other. For now we see b/n 88, 71, 78, 85, 77 and 84 to be modernized. I think one Su-33 have Sorbtsia ECM pods on the wings. I hope all Su-33 in Syria will have ECM pods for self protection.
    Am I correct in assuming that they have all been recently repainted into the same colours as the Flankers already in Syria, perhaps intentionally to confuse local identification? The previous pictures of Su-33 have been with a black nose cone. If so would this imply that they are 'modernised'?

    Su-33 allways have white nose cones and the same colours. We could recognize them by b/n.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2388
    Points : 2426
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  franco on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 pm

    JohninMK wrote:This is quite a significant event for the RuN. As mentioned re the Essen, the Northern Fleet task force could easily be joined by units of the Baltic Fleet as they pass down the North Sea, plus they will have submarines with them.

    This will be a very rare opportunity for ship spotters at Dover as the fleet goes down the Channel. Expect a huge spread in the Daily Mail of the Russian threat made real.

    The RuN is clearly maximising this once in a career chance of training and actioning a large scale operation, just as the RuAF has already done over the past 12 months. It is also, at a personal level, a career enhancing opportunity.

    Expect a large NATO shadowing force above/below the waves and in the sky plus probable attack training. There will be MoD cells in countries all along the route rapidly planning and gearing up to get the most value from it. Looks like win-win all round on training all the way!

    Just read the UK will be sending a frigate and a destroyer to join this Task Force. sunny
    About time that NATO got on board. love

    Non?? angel

    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:22 pm

    medo wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    medo wrote:

    Does anyone have pictures with good enough resolution to see the b/n of Su-33, to see, if they are modernized ones from Zhukovsky or other. For now we see b/n 88, 71, 78, 85, 77 and 84 to be modernized. I think one Su-33 have Sorbtsia ECM pods on the wings. I hope all Su-33 in Syria will have ECM pods for self protection.
    Am I correct in assuming that they have all been recently repainted into the same colours as the Flankers already in Syria, perhaps intentionally to confuse local identification? The previous pictures of Su-33 have been with a black nose cone. If so would this imply that they are 'modernised'?

    Su-33 allways have white nose cones and the same colours. We could recognize them by b/n.
    Oooops, my mistake, it was the Mig-29 with the black nose cone. Sorry.

    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:24 pm

    franco wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:This is quite a significant event for the RuN. As mentioned re the Essen, the Northern Fleet task force could easily be joined by units of the Baltic Fleet as they pass down the North Sea, plus they will have submarines with them.

    This will be a very rare opportunity for ship spotters at Dover as the fleet goes down the Channel. Expect a huge spread in the Daily Mail of the Russian threat made real.

    The RuN is clearly maximising this once in a career chance of training and actioning a large scale operation, just as the RuAF has already done over the past 12 months. It is also, at a personal level, a career enhancing opportunity.

    Expect a large NATO shadowing force above/below the waves and in the sky plus probable attack training. There will be MoD cells in countries all along the route rapidly planning and gearing up to get the most value from it. Looks like win-win all round on training all the way!

    Just read the UK will be sending a frigate and a destroyer to join this Task Force.   sunny
    About time that NATO got on board.   love

    Non??  angel
    Great idea, but none are available for travel to a hot climate.
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 523
    Points : 523
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  hoom on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am

    Official announcement from Northern Fleet via bmpd http://www.mvestnik.ru/shwpgn.asp?pid=2016101517
    Google translate wrote:MURMANSK REGION. Today at 15.00 began a campaign of naval aircraft carrier group of the Northern Fleet in the North East Atlantic and the Mediterranean. It is reported by the press service of the Federation Council.

    The group consists of the heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser "Admiral of the Soviet Union Fleet Kuznetsov" heavy nuclear missile cruiser "Peter the Great", the large anti-submarine ship "Severomorsk" and "Vice-Admiral Kulakov" and support vessels.

    The goal of the campaign - ensuring a naval presence in operationally important areas of the oceans.

    Particular attention will be paid to ensuring the safety of maritime navigation and other maritime economic activities of the Russian Federation, as well as respond to new types of modern threats of piracy and international terrorism.

    The campaign will be improved maritime training and combat coordination of crews of surface ships practiced joint action force and naval aircraft carrier group aircraft, including the flight deck of aircraft and helicopters. Planned joint military exercises with ships of other fleets of the Russian Navy.

    A few days earlier, the crews of ships aircraft carrier group completed the planned preparations for the long march in military training ranges of the Northern Fleet in the Barents Sea.

    Previous joint campaign in the Mediterranean area and the North-East Atlantic, the heavy cruiser "Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Kuznetsov" and "Peter the Great" was completed in the first half of 2014. For the flagship aircraft carrier group - the aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" began the long march will be the eighth.
    And a pic


    And a bunch more pics at anchor before departure at http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1518540.html
    Can just make out some of the numbers in this, I read 7?, 84, ??, 71, 78

    Ned86

    Posts : 41
    Points : 41
    Join date : 2016-04-04

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Ned86 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:40 am

    Another nice image of Kuznetsov heading to Syria.


    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 pm

    The flotilla passed Andoya in Northern Norway today. Lovely flat sea, relaxed pace, 5 aircraft and a chopper on deck. Assume photos from a RNAF P-3 Orion.

    Compare and contract the two photos, a whole lot of paint gone onto that ship!

    https://twitter.com/M3t4_tr0n/status/788119553637244928

    Thanks for the link Aldin, if you are still around here.

    par far

    Posts : 1403
    Points : 1560
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  par far on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:33 pm

    When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16281
    Points : 16912
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:46 am

    I would like to see the sort of weapons they operate with... especially the Ka-52s, but also the MiGs and Flankers.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:08 pm

    This article includes a very good and detailed video clip of the Kuznetsov off Dover.

    http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-21/navy-vessels-follow-russian-warships-every-inch-of-the-way-as-they-pass-through-channel-on-their-way-to-syria/

    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm

    They really need to do something with that engine.

    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5518
    Points : 5563
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:02 pm

    par far wrote:When Admiral Kuznetsov, reaches the Syrian Coast, I really hope that, they allow, selected reporters on Admiral Kuznetsov, I would love to see, how Admiral Kuznetsov look inside.

    There are alot of photos from Kuznecov from 2009. and 2012. online from the inside.
    avatar
    Project Canada

    Posts : 612
    Points : 619
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Project Canada on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 pm

    JohninMK wrote:They really need to do something with that engine.


    I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5518
    Points : 5563
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:04 pm

    Project Canada wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:They really need to do something with that engine.


    I hope Russia's new Storm class carriers won't have those awful engine smokes

    If it stays as originally imagined Storm will have nuclear propulsion.
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3189
    Points : 3279
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  medo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:15 pm

    It's interesting, that on the deck are ready to take off and armed with AAMs only Su-33 fighters and no MiG-29K. They are all in hangar.
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3189
    Points : 3279
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  medo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 pm



    Looks like Kuznetsov have not modernized Su-33 fighters with Gefest SVP-24.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 4994
    Points : 5102
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:00 pm

    medo wrote:.............[/url]

    Looks like Kuznetsov have not modernized Su-33 fighters with Gefest SVP-24.

    No need really. MiGs will be doing the bombing. 33's are there for air patrols and to boost Su-30/35 complement.




    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:18 pm

    English navy ship fans out in small boats with good cameras.











    Last edited by JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    zg18

    Posts : 881
    Points : 957
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  zg18 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:21 pm

    JohninMK wrote:They really need to do something with that engine.


    Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .
    avatar
    A1RMAN

    Posts : 57
    Points : 59
    Join date : 2016-10-08

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  A1RMAN on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:13 am

    zg18 wrote:

    Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

    In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

    marat

    Posts : 151
    Points : 153
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  marat on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 am

    A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

    Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

    In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

    And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 515
    Points : 519
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am

    marat wrote:
    A1RMAN wrote:
    zg18 wrote:

    Where is the point? I know it looks ugly with this black beam of steam, but there is no point to invest gazillion into carrier whose main mission is to provide RuNavy with continual carrier borne operational capabilities & experience .

    In order for it to provide it, obviously. Last years K spent mostly in repairs, and most common reason was current propulsion system. If you don't change it, K will be mostly in docks also for the future.

    And thats have no relations with smoke. Smoke is not problem.

    Smoke isn't a problem but the propulsion system is, it does need to be replaced.

    I would just go with a diesel engine, like I said doubt they will go Nuclear with this thing.

    For this particular ship Nuclear power would provide it no real use nothing diesel couldn't anyway.
    avatar
    Giulio

    Posts : 163
    Points : 186
    Join date : 2013-10-29
    Location : Italy

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Giulio on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:47 am

    medo wrote:

    Looks like Kuznetsov have not modernized Su-33 fighters with Gefest SVP-24.

    Afaik SVP-24 is a black boxes system in the aircraft, not an external pod. Wingtips pods in the Su-33s or Su-34s are, I think, movable RWR/ECM "Sorbitzia" systems.

    RedJasmin

    Posts : 32
    Points : 34
    Join date : 2015-06-10

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  RedJasmin on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 am

    Some fantastic pictures there. I live on the south coast of the UK and was hoping to see them pass from here, but they were too far out by the time they got along to my stretch of beach. Sad

    I have to agree Soloyvov though, that propulsion system doesn't seem very healthy, and has been the K's Achilles's Heel from the start. Future carriers really do need to be nuclear, as Russia just doesn't have the network of friendly ports and bases overseas to ensure they will be able to fuel up on long missions. While it might not be worth it for the K herself in direct terms, treating her a testbed for new technologies going into future carriers could be a good move - and a well tested propulsion/power plant could help avoid the very problems on future ships that happened with the K.

    JohninMK

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4603
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

    A Dutch Navy picture from the North Sea with more planes on deck, taken from one of their NH-90s. Good picture of the lifts.


    Sponsored content

    Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 pm