- Russia got trolled hard in the UN Security Council
Now onto some real news:
- New deadline has passed and gone w/o incident it seems. Junta forces are rethinking their whole counter-terrorism operation thing. Not going so well; took losses yesterday in Slavyanka (at least 1 dead, 8-9 injured), many special forces units refusing orders for this or that, one gets the feeling that much of the military and police is on the verge of changing sides, one only needs to take the initiative and responsibility. Now Timoshenko and Dobkin are coming out and saying that violence is inadmissable; Dobkin is a nobody but Timoshenko is and she's using it to build political capital. A good part of the Ukraine is anti-war, no matter if against Russia or for it. However at the same time, Timoshenko has said that she supports the counter-terrorist operation involving the Ukrainian military. Weird huh.
- CNN reports that they haven't seen any signs that the protestors or militia's are linked with the Russian military: http://russian.rt.com/inotv/2014-04-14/CNN-ne-nashel-svyazi-mezhdu
- Small amount of protestors in Zaporozhia yesterday held out against a fascist-encirclement for about 5-6 hours, until the police finally managed to evacuate them (at first the protestors were refusing AFAIK). They were subject to all sorts of food products, some sort of fireworks, pieces of wood, bottles and other projectiles. Nearly 50 injured in total, some seriously.
- Anti-government protest building up in Kiev, mainly about the catastrophic economic situation in the country but no doubt the anti-war thing too http://itar-tass.com/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1119407
- Rinat Akhmetov's office has been defaced in Kiev, under charge of being a separatist http://society.lb.ua/life/2014/04/13/262992_kieve_aktivisti_piketirovali_ofis.html
- Gorlovka was taken by protestors today, police station was stormed with a few people injured. Police defected to a new commander, a police colonel that has apparently defected to the DPR has subordinated the local police forces and appointed a new police chief in the town.
- About 50 armed militia volunteers are on their way from Lugansk to shore up defenses in Slavyansk. They look well-equipped, experienced.
- Lugansk is currently in the process of voting for the creation of a sovereign republic
- Slavyansk airport has been taken by one of the militia's in the town. Seems that no-one was defending it. Actually the whole place is an open-air museum piece.
- Several small towns in Donetsk have come under the control of the DPR, Kirovskaya, Zhdanovka and Ilovaisk. It seemed to all be peaceful occupations or as the result of negotiations with local mayors.
- Mariupol has switched Russian news back on, local providers have fixed that little situation.
- Kharkov protestors have decided not to storm the regional administration for now, instead are conducting negotiations about referendums, releasing prisoners, or something.
But it seems there was a big rally today. Or was it yesterday's one?
- Turchinov fired the head of the SBU anti-terrorist centre. If this keeps going, he'll turn the whole Ukrainian security appartus against him not just in eastern Ukraine.
- The Odessa druzhina has mobilised in order to meet the US destroyer Donald Cook which is due to dock in Odessa:
- Lot's of news about the 25th air-assault battallion from Dnepropetrovsk. First it was supposed to be staging a mutiny, over an attempt to force them into contract service. Then I heard that it was taking part in the Slavyansk operation. Now some of its servicemen have apparently been convinced to turn away in Lugansk and leave the territory.