Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Body Armour555

Body Armour

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Standard protection system for troops?

Post  sepheronx on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 am

So what is the standard in terms of Body armor and other protection systems? I read about different class of body armor and how USA and UK have top notch body armor, and various countries do not....But if they fit the protection class, then how come?

Anyway, I just want to know what Russia currently uses, and is planning to use.

I know that the helmet is the 6b26. But what about armor?

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Re: Body Armour

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:13 am

6B11-2 (4.5 kg)

Goes to level II

6B12-2 (8.5kg)

Goes to level III

Last edited by Vladimir79 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:29 am

Did not notice that I misspelled standard (Vladimir, if you do not mind, may you please make the fix?)

do you have any experience with these body armor? What are they like?

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:38 pm

sepheronx wrote:Did not notice that I misspelled standard (Vladimir, if you do not mind, may you please make the fix?)

Fawkn heavy... as a paratrooper, they were hell on my back during landings. We often waited to collect our gear before we put them on. They are also uncomfortable and make you sweat. We need to get Dragon Skin.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Did not notice that I misspelled standard (Vladimir, if you do not mind, may you please make the fix?)

Fawkn heavy... as a paratrooper, they were hell on my back during landings. We often waited to collect our gear before we put them on. They are also uncomfortable and make you sweat. We need to get Dragon Skin.

There was a convention a couple years ago that showed all these types of armor (guns as well. All from one other forums) and I am wondering, how many armor R&D as well as producing companies are there in Russia? Only ones I can think of is Niistali and Fort.

IronsightSniper
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  IronsightSniper on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 pm

To expand this, they also use the 6B13.

It's configuration is similar to the body armor you might see on a US Marine in Iraq, such as the Interceptor Body Armor, however, the 6B13 lacks the groin patch that we have. They are similar in look and design, in that the majority of the armor is made out of Kevlar or other fabrics. For the vital areas, both have hard plates, both being hard Ceramics (although older Russian armors used titanium for hard protection). As Vlad said, they weigh a shit load, 10 kg for the 6B13, however, compared to the newest version of the Interceptor (which is designed to protect against IEDs), which weighs, 15 kg, the 6B13 is relatively light.

Protection wise, they both over the same protection levels, NIJ standard of Level IV (which means "Conditioned armor protects against 10.8 g (166 gr) .30-06 Springfield M2 armor piercing (AP) bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (2880 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, IIIA, and III].")

However, if you're in Russia, they will tell you that the 6B13 system is level VI according to GOST R 50744-95 Ballistic Standard. If you are unfamiliar to the standard, look here. Basically, to qualify for Level VI under the GOST standard, the vest must be shot with a 7.62 x 54mm round (I'd assume an Armor Piercing round as a bullet from a SVD is also used to qualify for Class IV GOST protection level) from a SVD, which has equivalent performance to the .30-06 Springfield AP rounds used for NIJ class IV testing, which basically means Class IV NIJ = Class VI GOST.

As for the "Standardness" of this, or "If I walked into a Russian army base, how many Ivan or Sergies are going to be wearing this" level, I wouldn't say too much, as some other Russian military guys I've known on other forums have told me that the upgrading process is slow. But as this year progress and Russia's major upgrade program is underway, you can only expect to see more Russian Army boys to be wearing the 6B13 or any of it's successors. Personally, I've seen quite a couple pictures showing Russian solders wearing the 6B13 in their duties.

For more information on the 6B13 and other armors, go here.

Expanding on myself, according to RIAN, they are currently testing a new body armor, which unlike the 6B13, weighs 5 kg more. Here.

"The 15-kilo full set has the highest protection level and can be used in assaults. A lighter version weighs under two kilos and can be worn under clothes. The price of this bulletproof vest is about $1,000, which is two to three times higher than average."

I'm not an idiot, but I'm also not a genius. I've heard around the internets of a 6B5-14 all the way up to a 6B5-19. As for Dragon Skin, yeah, Sad

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Uh yeah, I don't want to wear any damned 15kg body armour. Jumping out of a plane with 8kg was enough to cause spinal injury. We bundle that shit with our gear and put it on when we land. If it weighted 15kg I would throw it back to the quartermaster.

IronsightSniper
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  IronsightSniper on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:13 am

I should also mention that it said the 6B13 was only safe to wear for 5 hours :O

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 pm

I would guess that 15kg armour was for entry teams for the first guy through the door that always gets shot.

As it is highest level protection it is probably also worn by bomb disposal guys as well.

I doubt they would issue it to anyone who has to run or climb or jump.

Having said that I just finished reading about Soviet soldiers fighting near Murmansk in 1944 and the forces operating behind enemy lines had equipment loads of 40kgs or more as they had to carry absolutely everything with them and operate about 200km north of the Arctic circle.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Was browsing a site and found that the 15kg body armour they are talking about is designed to stop 338 Laupa Magnum armour piercing bullets from 300m so it is not likely designed for paratrooper use or even standard soldier use.

It is most likely for that first guy in an entry team that is most likely to get shot as they enter. The combination of this vest and a hand held shield there is probably not much short of an RPG that will reliably stop them.

Pervius
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Pervius on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Is Body Armor obsolete?

The US sold the LRAD sound weapons to China. Couldn't that or a beefed up version just be used on someone with body armor?

I noticed the Chinese military released a photo of their military wearing some kind of EMF gear to protect them from energy. What is that all about? I have never seen any photo's of Russian or American troops wearing gear to protect them from energy.

I think the next battlefield will have some very powerful sound weapons, which body army won't help you in.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 am

The combination of ear plugs and the 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher would be the best defence against such a system.

That sound weapon system is not meant to injure or incapacitate and it is certainly not intended to be used against armed attackers.

It is a water cannon to break up demonstrators... something you can use when you find members in the crowd with helmets and gas masks and batons stirring up trouble... not something you point at ma and pa at a rally.

Most people think body armour is to save soldiers from bullets but the majority of instances it is to protect the soldier from fragments... that is why it is called a Flak jacket... flak being a term for shrapnel or shell fragments, though often associated with anti aircraft guns because they tend to fire HE shells that detonate a the height the enemy bomber stream is operating at. In the planes the threat is shell fragments from shells exploding all around them.

They are heavy and uncomfortable... but when they do their job they are your best friend... Wink

Pervius
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Pervius on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:28 pm

""It is a water cannon to break up demonstrators... something you can use when you find members in the crowd with helmets and gas masks and batons stirring up trouble... not something you point at ma and pa at a rally."""

I was talking about the sound weapon. Apparently it was ruled not a weapon...to get around US export laws and sell to China. It is something you point at ma an pa. They have smaller versions the Secret Service uses to deny area access to people.....when they need to.

...And those are the "police" versions. I'd imagine they have more powerful types. Russia spent time developing and working on their own equivalents.....as I said...Directed Energy thwarts Body Armor.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 am

I was talking about the sound weapon. Apparently it was ruled not a weapon...to get around US export laws and sell to China. It is something you point at ma an pa. They have smaller versions the Secret Service uses to deny area access to people.....when they need to.

What I meant is that it is hardly a weapon of war... you will not find bits of people and dead bodies scattered over the battlefield because of this.

A sound wave can be concentrated and used to cause serious discomfort, but at the end of the day ear plugs, and a physical shield with sound insulation lining will block and deflect sound waves.

It is not some super weapon... the big flat antenna they use to direct the sound waves can be targeted and destroyed. The van that carries the electronics and power supply can be blown up in a war situation.

It is potentially a weapon of war but not ideal and not all powerful.

In fact in many ways it might be a useful short range communication option that to be intercepted the enemy needs to get directly between those communicating with this.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 am

In many ways a blinding laser is much easier to create... in fact there are surgical lasers in use right now that cut through flesh as easy as a red hot knife would cut through butter, so using it at significant distances to blind would not really be that difficult.

The problem is that what you can use can be used against you so while you might fear being blinded or deafened permanently then so does your enemy so to prevent it neither will use it.

A desperate enemy that does use it may find it rather easy to counter and that when used against you it is just as effective as it is against them so any advantages you might get from it are lost when it is eventually used against you.

Current date/time is Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 am