Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Share

    Marco1964
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2009-08-19
    Age : 52
    Location : Central Scotland

    Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Marco1964 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 am

    Hi, I'm new to this site and hope you can help.
    I am very interested in finding out information with regards to the platoon and company make-up of both opposing Russian sides during the Russian Civil War, after WW1.  I would be very grateful for as much guidance as possible.

    Marco

    Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

    Posts : 2193
    Points : 3099
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:42 pm

    Marco1964 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this site and hope you can help.
    I am very interested in finding out information with regards to the platoon and company make-up of both opposing Russian sides during the Russian Civil War, after WW1. I would be very grateful for as much guidance as possible.

    Marco

    What kind of platoon and companies? There were many different compositions for some types as it was just a hodgepodge of forces thrown together until the Red Army got off the ground. The Whites never had a real composition commanality.

    Marco1964
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2009-08-19
    Age : 52
    Location : Central Scotland

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Marco1964 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 pm

    Hi Vladimir,

    At the moment, it's more for the infantry composition on platoon and company level. I think, deep down, I had a sneaking suspicion that many of the forces, at that time, were just thrown together. But anything to go on would just be fantastic Smile Also, information on cavalry and artillery would be of use as well.
    Another period I am looking at is the Baltic campaigns of 1919 - which I'm also finding very interesting.

    Marco

    Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

    Posts : 2193
    Points : 3099
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm

    Marco1964 wrote:Hi Vladimir,

    At the moment, it's more for the infantry composition on platoon and company level. I think, deep down, I had a sneaking suspicion that many of the forces, at that time, were just thrown together. But anything to go on would just be fantastic Smile Also, information on cavalry and artillery would be of use as well.
    Another period I am looking at is the Baltic campaigns of 1919 - which I'm also finding very interesting.

    Marco

    I doubt if I can find White forces composition, you do best just to look at Imperial Russian makeup of WWI. I will see what I can find for the early days of the Red Army which should give you the best picture.

    Marco1964
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2009-08-19
    Age : 52
    Location : Central Scotland

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Marco1964 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 pm

    Many thanks for that Vladimir - it will be very helpful. I will follow up on the Imperial Russian make-up for WW1.

    Cheers, Marco

    Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

    Posts : 2193
    Points : 3099
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 pm

    This source has alot of good information about the early Red Army including artillery, cavalry units... in Russian

    http://lib.rus.ec/b/72982/read

    Marco1964
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2009-08-19
    Age : 52
    Location : Central Scotland

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Marco1964 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:33 am

    Thanks for the link to that particular site. I managed to get it translated (phew!) and you're right, it is an excellent source for great information about the early Red Army. The illustration plates are wonderful as well - infact fantastic. I am always fascinated by old military photos and there were certainly a lot of really intersting ones. Are there any other archives, that you know of, which have photos from this period?

    Pirate
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 41
    Points : 56
    Join date : 2009-11-30
    Age : 27
    Location : Russia, Tula

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Pirate on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 pm

    Marco1964 wrote:Thanks for the link to that particular site. I managed to get it translated (phew!) and you're right, it is an excellent source for great information about the early Red Army. The illustration plates are wonderful as well - infact fantastic. I am always fascinated by old military photos and there were certainly a lot of really intersting ones. Are there any other archives, that you know of, which have photos from this period?

    That photos have period from 1918 to 1922. Look at that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Civil_War
    Here you can see some information about that Civil War and pictures of soldiers

    Marco1964
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2009-08-19
    Age : 52
    Location : Central Scotland

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Marco1964 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:42 pm

    Pirate wrote:
    Marco1964 wrote:Thanks for the link to that particular site. I managed to get it translated (phew!) and you're right, it is an excellent source for great information about the early Red Army. The illustration plates are wonderful as well - infact fantastic. I am always fascinated by old military photos and there were certainly a lot of really intersting ones. Are there any other archives, that you know of, which have photos from this period?

    That photos have period from 1918 to 1922. Look at that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Civil_War
    Here you can see some information about that Civil War and pictures of soldiers

    Hello Pirate,

    Many thanks for the link Very Happy It certainly has a great deal of information and photo references which will be extremely useful.

    Cheers,

    Marco

    nightcrawler
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 559
    Points : 687
    Join date : 2010-08-20
    Age : 27
    Location : Pakistan

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  nightcrawler on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:40 am

    Just see these videos

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/lzfjfhzkhdj/Russian_Revolution.rmvb
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmnvfmz4jzw/Russian_Revolution-01.rmvb

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  George1 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 pm

    Red Guards (Russian: Красная гвардия) were paramilitary volunteer formations consisting mainly of factory workers, peasants, cossacks and partially of soldiers and sailors for "protection of the Soviet power". Red Guards were a transitional military force of the collapsing Imperial Russian Army and the base formations of Bolsheviks during the October Revolution and the first months of the Civil War. Most of them were formed in the time frame of the Russian Revolution of 1917 and some of the units were reorganized into the Red Army during 1918. The Red Guards formations were organized across most of the former Russian Empire, including territories outside of the contemporary Russian Federation such as Finland, Estonia, Ukraine, others. They were not centralized and were formed by decision of a local party and Soviet authorities.

    KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 986
    Points : 1139
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 19
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Excellent video on orthodox lies about the USSR

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:57 pm

    This video exposes little know crimes of the russian church as well as hypocrisies and lies created by the currently trendy bourgois orthodox antisemite "patriots" and refutes some BS antisemitic lies about judaism being communism.



    I recommend it for anyone who thinks the czar or the white army were good people.

    Khepesh
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1627
    Points : 1696
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Day of Pioneers

    Post  Khepesh on Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 am

    19 May is the Day of Pioneers

    Both songs have military origin, the Pioneers song "Vzveytes kostrami, siniye nochi" is from a march and of course "Orlyonok" is about the civil war.



    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9424
    Points : 9916
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  George1 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 pm

    The positions of the Allied expeditionary forces and of the White Armies in European Russia, 1919



    Numbers of allied soldiers who were present in the indicated regions of Russia:


    • 600 French and British troops landed in Arkhangelsk


    • A number of British troops in Vladivostok.


    • 23,351 Greeks, who withdrew after three months (part of I Army Corps under Maj. Gen. Konstantinos Nider, comprising 2nd and 13th Infantry Divisions, in the Crimea, and around Odessa and Kherson)


    • 13,000 Americans (in the Arkhangelsk and Vladivostok regions)


    • 11,500 Estonians in northwestern Russia


    • 2,500 Italians (in the Arkhangelsk region and Siberia)


    • 2,300 Chinese (in the Vladivostok region)


    • 150 Australians (mostly in the Arkhangelsk regions)

    Sponsored content

    Re: Red Army in Russian Civil War

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:25 pm


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:25 pm