Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Soviet era reserve vehicles.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

T-34 tank and ZSU-57 any use in todays battle field?

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi all,

The t-34 tank and ZSU-57 is still in use in some armies around the world today. But the question is are they any good on todays battle field or should they scrapped/museum piece???

My general view is the t-34 as a main battle tank is no longer an option but this tank with a few upgrades would be ideal as an infantry support tank, its gun would still be useful against light armoured vehicles and bunkers, this could be improved with some upgraded ammo, and day/night/all weather optic's.

As for the ZSU-57 i think its anti air capabilities are very limited, forces using them would only hope to to take out slow moving aircraft and helicopters if they were lucky. i think yet again this vehicle would be of use to infantry in the ground support role, attack light armoured vehicles and bunkers, with the same upgrades as mentioned on the t-34, the main advantage with this would be the range of the weapon.
    I know being an ex infantryman that support at times can be sacre and any is welcomed on the battle field, would i be happy to have a t-34 taking out bunkers or a ZSU-57 providing fire support for me, hell yes!

Please share your views on this.
    dom

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Soviet era reserve vehicles.

Post  Zivo on Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm

welcome

Even on the modern battle field, I think if a ZSU-57 showed up people on the receiving end would high tail it out of there. T-55's are still widely used, and if you're fighting against them on foot, a T-34 would be just as deadly as a T-55.

Syria also stuck a D-30 on a T-34 chassis and come up with this oddity.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

thanks

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat May 11, 2013 3:14 pm

thanks for replying, i think your right i wouldnt want to be around if a ZSU-57 was firing at me, ive seen the t-34/artillery before, think it fits this role well, a fairly decent chassis to mount something like this, at least there putting some old equipment into use rather than letting it rust in an old warehouse.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 pm

In Hungary protesters managed to start T-34 that was actually a monument and was sitting there for decades!

I once went to Poland and we seen T-34 (don't remember version) in a country side village. When we went there to take pictures owner shoved up and even let us inside tank. He said that tank engine is still alive.
    Not sure if You can use these tanks now as there are loads of t-55 that are more advanced and they would be no match for them, but in a revolution it would be perfect. ZSU-57 is good too, they can shred older tanks to bits. And can rip optics, tracks, damage barrel to any tank. You only need people who know what they are doing.

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat May 11, 2013 9:19 pm

If the ZSU-57 was equipped with laser guided shells and modern FCS it would be quite a threat to UAVs, helos and slow flying aircraft.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

thanks

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I remember a t-34 being recovered from a bog, pretty sure it was in Estonia and they managed to start it up despite being at the bottom of a bog for 60-70yrs aparently the engine had no oil leaks and the tank had hardly any rust.

The ZSU-57 rounds were powerful against aircraft, i read somewhere that 1-2 rounds would have taken out fixed wing aircraft. if it had a decent radar/tracker and and few other upgrades i reckon the current shells would do a fine job at shredding helicopters and other aircraft.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 am

Really depend what you were going to do with them.

As mentioned above, the T-34 is starting to become relatively rare, while later models, especially the T-55 family are still widely abundant and various upgrades exist for them.

The biggest issue with the ZSU-57-2 is the open roof and the fact that the rounds are enormous and clip fed. They are very powerful and have been found to be very effective against ground targets.

If you want cheap however I would think that a T-55, or even an early model T-72 would be cheaper and have better upgrade potential, and I suspect the same for the ZSU-23-4, or early model Tunguskas.

Slightly more expensive but much more growth potential.

Rather than the ZSU-57-2 it might even be more worthwhile looking at a PT-76 with the A-220 turret fitted with the automatic 57mm gun and upgraded optics/systems. A stabilised mount, with autoloader and night vision equipment, a small modification of the vehicle... lost the amphibious capability and expand the ammo storage to 300 odd rounds and you have a very powerful anti IFV vehicle that can be used against ground and air targets and to support infantry directly.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm

The ZSU-57-2 would still be useful in the infantry support role....I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this thing

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Cyberspec wrote:The ZSU-57-2 would still be useful in the infantry support role....I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this thing

Guns are still effective, but the vehicle itself is too old. It is better to place new AU-220M turret with autoloader and modern FCS on T-72 chassis and get effective support vehicle.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

thanks

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 12, 2013 5:15 pm

thanks to all who have reply to the thread.
    Garry your right in its open top, the crew and ammo is to vunerable to small arms fire and shrapnel. The ZSU 23-4 has proven to be excellent in the ground support role. And the t-55 has so many upgrades option available to it now that they can be pretty useful. I am hoping to post more similar questions about other older kit to see the views of others as theres some interesting views (if people are happy with me asking). Other forums ive been on always come out with silly comments like Russian equipment is outdated, no use on the battle field and all there stuff is crap, its good to see some common battle field sense and knowledgeable comments.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

To say Russian stuff is outdated needs qualification... the T-34 and ZSU-57-2 are very old vehicles, but where there is a shortage of RPGs and enemy armour even outdated can be useful if you have it and they don't.

The problem in the west is that if you have an Ipad 1 then you are out of date... if the Ipad 1 does everything you need for it to do, then it is not out of date... they are just being stuck up snobs.

It would help with such questions if you give some context, for instance a country in Africa might have a significant supply of T-34s and ZSU-57-2s and so what is their cheapest upgrade options.

Just as an example I would say that a T-34 and ZSU-57-2 are simple basic machines that would be easier to use and upgrade in African conditions that some uber expensive super tank, but the fact that the ZSU-57-2 is T-55 based, but with lightened armour I would say that the T-34s could have their turrets removed and mounted on boats to create cheap gun boats and the vehicles reduced to scrap and money spent buying more T-55s to have automotive commonality.

The 100mm gun of the T-54/55 is rather more effective than the light gun of the T-34, whether it is a 76.2mm or an 85mm.

Many upgrades of the T-55 start by replacing the turret with an early model T-72 turret, so the abundance of the T-72s could make a bulk purchase of such vehicles a much more sensible proposition.

The critical thing would be to enforce the rule that with regards to internal ammo storage only 22 round inside the autoloader and no other main gun ammo as it is a serious fire risk. Perhaps small trailers could be fitted to carry more ammo externally safely.

With T-72s you could develop a separate vehicle with the A-220 turret with a single 57mm gun for ground support and anti aircraft use.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

PT-76 is it still usefull??????

Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 am

Hi all,

Would like peoples views on the PT-76 and on the PT-76E, is this tank still usefull, despite production starting 60yrs ago, which stopped 44yrs ago, and has had very little upgrades in it life, the most notable change was the PT-76E with a change of arnament. any views etc would be great.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 am

Its main advantage is its amphibious capability, which in a marine environment or on boggy marshy terrain is actually rather important.

The 76.2mm is obsolete, but the new 57mm gun in the upgraded model is starting to look interesting. With modern ammo and modern optics it starts to become a more interesting vehicle, but it is certainly a light tank only... trying to use it as a standard tank would be like trying to use an M-113 as a standard tank with a 40mm gun mounted on its roof.

If they have an APFSDS round for the 57mm gun and it can manage 300-400mm penetration at 1,500m then you are looking at a very potent weapon... especially with a laser guided shell that can take on aircraft and point ground targets...

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:06 am

hi garry thanks for the reply, i definately agree, the 57mm is much more suited for the tank, and your right the amphibious qualities is definately its strongest point/use, and could provide a nasty surprise to enemy force who least expect an attack from marine or boggy areas. This truely an amphibious vehicle, not like the western term which is different to the Russian term, when i was in the forces(british) their reference to amphibious vehicles was one which meant a vehicle which basically could cross rivers with the use of its tracks or wheels touching the bottom, not floating like Russian equipment.
    And when we did vehicle recognition training nothing was mention to say that these vehicles actually floated and could swim, everybody thought it would have the same type of amphibious qualities as a normal tank. So most people in the the western armies (certainly the British army) could totally be taken by surprise by these, considering troops would plan of being attacked by land or boggy ground, and not realising these tanks can actually swim and could come from lakes or the sea.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:06 pm

There are certainly degrees of amphibious capability, but being able to drive through rivers with tracks on the ground is generally referred to as fording capability.

Most light armour in the Russian military is amphibious, but vehicles like the BTR and BMP are designed for rivers and lakes rather than open ocean and are not specifically designed to land in rough sea beach landings.

The new medium vehicles (boomerang and Kurganets) are amphibious but for instance the Russian Navy is getting a modified version of Kurganets that includes external rear propellers and likely with a higher freeboard (ie sits higher in the water) so it is able to land on a steeper beach with higher waves.

The original PT-76 is in many ways like a very big Scorpion light tank, but the upgrade to fit it with a 57mm gun will include a range of improvements in the fire control and optics that will make it a far more potent vehicle in terms of engaging air and ground targets. Being a large vehicle it will also have plenty of space for ammo, which takes up quite a bit of space unfortunately.

Using newly developed rounds it will be quite a potent system against air and ground targets of light and medium weight.

With a good stabiliser it should be able to pump out 120 rounds a minute while on the move... which would ruin even a modern IFVs day and also be a serious threat to a previous generation tank.

Guided anti helo rounds would be very useful too.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 pm

this is exactly what i mean the British army class vehicles that can ford as amphibious, which to me its doesnt count as being truely amphibious, it will be interesting to see the new vehicles and their different variants, got a few years yet before we see finished product. It will also be good for other countries as Russia will look to start clearing out older systems so some of the poorer nations out there should be able to get a bargain on older equipment.

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Soviet era reserve vehicles.

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

As many will know, that Russia has huge stock piles of vehicles in reserve the numbers are truely staggering and i wouldnt be surprised if Russia had the biggest reserves of vehicles.

Just a quick look at the numbers, these are approximate figures. Its always hard to tell how many are in reserve and in what state. If anyone has more accurate figures please share them.

4,500 T-80's
    8,000 T72's
    10,000 BMP 1's
    6,500 BMP 2's
    2,400 BMD 1's
    1,500 BMD 2's
    5,000 MT-LB's
    1,400 2S1's
    1,600 2S3's
    500 2S5's
    2,200 BM21's
    90 BM27's
    as well 3,000 field artillery pieces.
    and i am sure there will be many more various vehicles including the BTR 152/50/60/70/80, BDRM 2's, ZSU 23-4's, T-55's, T-62/64's, PT-76's, FROG-7's, Tochka's and air defence vehicles.
    And this is just for vehicles just think of the reserves for the Air forces, fixed wing, transport, helicopters etc.

so this makes me ask why??? and what to do with them???
    of course some need to be kept incase of war, but the rest and just rusting away or gathering dust. Some of the vehicles could have upgrades done to them and offered for export to poor nations, but some are too old to be of much use other than being used for riot control, sold for scrap, sold as collectors vehicles  or sold to museums.
    I read somewhere recently that the Russians were developing a new artillery recce vehicle based on the BMP 1.
    The MT-LB's are probably the most useful and versatile of the vehicles above they have been used for loads of different uses.
    when i was in Cambodia i saw a T-55 chassis with a 140mm BM-14 on top of it.  Very Happy 

So if anyone has any information, ideas for upgrades, or views on this please share.

Last edited by George1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling and edit info)

etaepsilonk
    Captain
    Captain

Post  etaepsilonk on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:As many will know, that Russia has huge stock piles of vehicles in reserve the numbers are truely staggering and i wouldnt be surprised if Russia had the biggest reserves of vehicles.

Just a quick look at the numbers, these are approximate figures. Its always hard to tell how many are in reserve and in what state. If anyone has more accurate figures please share them.

4,500 T-80's
    8,000 T72's
    10,000 BMP 1's
    6,500 BMP 2's
    2,400 BMD 1's
    1,500 BMD 2's
    5,000 MT-LB's
    1,400 2S1's
    1,600 2S3's
    500 2S5's
    2,200 BM21's
    90 BM27's
    as well 3,000 field artillery pieces.
    and i am sure there will be many more various vehicles including the BTR 152/50/60/70/80, BDRM 2's, ZSU 23-4's, T-55's, T-62/64's, PT-76's, FROG-7's, Tochka's and air defence vehicles.
    And this is just for vehicles just think of the reserves for the Air forces, fixed wing, transport, helicopters etc.

so this makes me ask why??? and what to do with them???
    of course some need to be kept incase of war, but the rest and just rusting away or gathering dust. Some of the vehicles could have upgrades done to them and offered for export to poor nations, but some are too old to be of much use other than being used for riot control, sold for scrap, sold as collectors vehicles  or sold to museums.
    I read somewhere recently that the Russians were developing a new artillery recce vehicle based on the BMP 1.
    The MT-LB's are probably the most useful and versatile of the vehicles above they have been used for loads of different uses.
    when i was in Cambodia i saw a T-55 chassis with a 140mm BM-14 on top of it.  Very Happy 

So if anyone has any information, ideas for upgrades, or views on this please share.

Simple. They take the vehicle to the local "goldhands" mechanic, who tear it apart, "upgrade", add all that protective frame structure (like in rally cars), generally try to create the design as creepy as possible. And then they drive around the roads, scaring people, and filming all that for youtube clip, which is usually titled "wonders of russia" or "russians having fun" or something like that  Smile 

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:13 am

On another thread it was mentioned that 14,000 vehicles will be withdrawn... didn't say what they were doing with them, but removing them from service and their logistics pool of parts and components and ammo types should free up money and storage space and personel... and be a very nice 2014 Xmas present...

Add your name to this list if you want a vehicle or two:

GarryB

Very Happy

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 am

honestly. i want to own T-80U and T-72.  Cool 

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Reserve vehicles are meant for reserve units. In case of war, reserve units are mobilized and they need their equipment from reserve stocks. Active units could not give them their own. Russia have combined army whit professional and conscript units, which give them large reserve for case of war.

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 pm

gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.

Damn tank beggars.

etaepsilonk
    Captain
    Captain

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm

TR1 wrote:
    collegeboy16 wrote:gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.

Damn tank beggars.

They're still better than oil or loan beggars, don't you agree? Smile

On another matter, if you want to actually use your vehicle (and not just place it in front of your dacha gates Smile ) tank may not be the best option, they're gas guzzlers. Much better would be lighter vehicles, like MT-LB, BTRs. I think, that in my country one dude owns an old M113, uses it as bulldozer or something Smile

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Give some T-80s and BMP-2s to Syria and maybe even bulgaria Razz ?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:16 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:16 am