Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Project 12700 Minesweeper thread

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Project 12700 Minesweeper thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Project 12700 Minesweeper thread

Post  flamming_python on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:23 pm

dino00 wrote:[size=16]The Russian Navy expects to receive 40 minesweepers of the project 12700 by 2030[/size]

The third newest ship of the Vladimir Emelyanov series will be launched before the end of the second quarter of 2019

This was announced on Tuesday by the commander-in-chief of the Navy, Admiral Vladimir Korolev, at a meeting on surface shipbuilding.

"Serial construction of mine defense ships is carried out within the framework of the development and re-equipment of mine-trawling forces of the Navy. Until 2030, the Russian Navy plans to have about 40 ships of the PMO project 12700," he said

Earlier, Vladimir Tryapichnikov, head of the shipbuilding department of the Russian Navy, said that the fleet expects to receive 40 fiberglass trawlers of the project 12700 by 2030–2050.

The displacement of ships of this project is 890 tons, length - 62 meters, width - ten meters, crew - 44 people.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6393370

WOW Shocked  from 10 in 2027 to 40 in 2030.
    Now we can say, with all the latest decisions that The Future Russian Navy is being built! This deserves a flag russia

They'll have more minesweepers than surface combat vessels at this rate. For the benefit of whom will they be cutting a path through the minefield for, it must be asked.

And what then? Have the minesweepers do the fighting with their AK-630 gattling guns? Or more likely they'll just be sitting ducks because the rest of this mighty future Russian Navy doesn't exist.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Project 12700 Minesweeper thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Project 12700 Minesweeper thread

Post  GarryB on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 am

Come on FP, you are complaining that they are making important vessels that most other navies neglect... it is like saying why is the air force buying trainers and transports when they should be buying lots and lots of fighters.

Considering the closed seas the black sea fleet and the baltic fleet operate and to an extent all of their fleets really, and the number of choke points nearby and around them, I would think mine sweepers would be an even higher priority than a multi billion dollar carrier.

Not like they are hard to make and they would certainly be needed in any realistic scenario to protect surface vessels.

Obviously with modern high tech ships that are multi purpose it would be interesting to see if they have expanded the design to perhaps allow anti sub roles, as well as anti mine capabilities.

Sure it only has mines and 30mm gatlings, but even if it is operating with Corvettes, a corvette with a UKSK launcher can fire off 91er1 ballistic rockets to deliver a modern and capable anti sub torpedo out to 40km in a minute or so.

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 pm