They have a young model like the P-8 and they have to deal with it. But they know this is not the future. Russia has not an aircraft like this, it is better, because they can move earlier to the unmanned platforms for maritime patrol. In 20-25 years the P-8 will be still a young aircraft but will be severely outdated.
No one learnt here game theory?
You can't use aircraft o hunt submarines best part of the year, means you need something (passive sonar system) anyway,and after that the airplanes has no function .
Russia needs seabed sonar systems , not maritime patrol aircrafts.
I was talking in overall terms, not about a concrete area. I was not entering in the discussion about the iced areas. I tend to think the future of the maritime patrol from air will be solved with shipborne unmanned aircrafts. It means somethings:
- The aircraft must be light, then no tripulation and few to zero weapons.
- The warship will have the information from the aircraft/s and also from their other systems. They will combine them.
- Like a warship can have unmanned aircarfs can have small unmanned submarines with technologies for detection.
- Armament based in the warship can be used to answer to the detected threats.
- Also armament carried by external platforms can be used (strategic bombers, other ships, other submarines,...).
Maybe it helps to give you a better idea of what I think about.
Last edited by eehnie on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total