Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Naval Aviation: News

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Naval Aviation: News

Post  Dima on Sun May 22, 2016 12:21 pm

George1 wrote:Russian Helicopters Developing New Shipborne Chopper to Replace Ka-27

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160512/1039501009/russian-helicopters-new-replace-ka27.html#ixzz48TZu02Dm
    George1 wrote:Russia's next naval (ASW) helicopter options:

1. Ka-52
    2. Ka-31
    3. Ka-60
    4. New design

http://sputniknews.com/military/20160514/1039618244/russian-navy-ka52-ka60.html
    What about Ka-40?

With its cabin structure which looks like a complete departure from the Ka-27 series and with possibly a rear opening/ramp like the Mi-8/17, it would be perfect for troop transport and insertion.

Co-axial rotors demand higher ceiling for hangers which might not be sometimes desirable. So the likes of Ka-60 have openings. But there are other prospective models to cater for the larger needs like the Mi-38 variant.

For the Ka-31AEW replacement, I would love to see the Ka-40/Ka-60/Mi-383 with radar panels (like 2m x 1m or as per fuselage size) installed/integrated on the side fuselage.

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Civilian version of the MINOGA project (Replacement for Ka-32)

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

This is not the high-speed Kamov project, but the successor to the Ka-27 & 32. I think this is the closest to how the real Ka-40 might look like. I'd searched for this specific image online but couldn't get it. Thanks for posting.
    Similar to the present Ka-27 series yet very different. To be honest, I love it. Cool

It would be good to have a 2-3m x 1-1.5m fixed radar panel on either side of the fuselage in the AEW variant. Such a configuration would be much better than the rotating one on the current Ka-31. In addition, smaller radar can be accommodated in the nose and a similar one can be installed at the rear. Just my humble wish. Very Happy

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Sat May 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Apparently Vietnam is shown some interest in acquiring P-3s from the U.S, i looked it up and i find the Tu-142 and Il-38, the Tu is pretty much retired and the Il-38s recently got modernized, but i can't find anything on whether there's an export variant or not, and what is Russia's answer to the P-8?

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat May 28, 2016 10:36 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Apparently Vietnam is shown some interest in acquiring P-3s from the U.S, i looked it up and i find the Tu-142 and Il-38, the Tu is pretty much retired and the Il-38s recently got modernized, but i can't find anything on whether there's an export variant or not, and what is Russia's answer to the P-8?

nothing at the moment afaik. The promising could be the one based on IL-114 or Yak-242...

max steel wrote: Are Russians planning to revive nuclear anti-sub depth bombs also ?

why not? one depth charge can "clear" bigger area. The will be used to sink not all subs th.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Apparently Vietnam is shown some interest in acquiring P-3s from the U.S, i looked it up and i find the Tu-142 and Il-38, the Tu is pretty much retired and the Il-38s recently got modernized, but i can't find anything on whether there's an export variant or not, and what is Russia's answer to the P-8?

I belive Tu-142s are still in service with Naval airbases in Fedotovo and Mongokhto, probably around 10, those are the only long range ASW fixed wing aircraft Russia atm fields. Il-38 modernisation is still underway, those are expected to serve another 10-15 years after modernisation.

Atm Russia does not really have anything in same class as P-8. There were proposed few replacement for current ASW aircraft. Mostly not materialised by now, those were supposed to be based on Tu-204, Be-200, Be-40...

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Sun May 29, 2016 2:00 am

Militarov wrote:

I belive Tu-142s are still in service with Naval airbases in Fedotovo and Mongokhto, probably around 10, those are the only long range ASW fixed wing aircraft Russia atm fields. Il-38 modernisation is still underway, those are expected to serve another 10-15 years after modernisation.

Atm Russia does not really have anything in same class as P-8. There were proposed few replacement for current ASW aircraft. Mostly not materialised by now, those were supposed to be based on Tu-204, Be-200, Be-40...

How capable are the TU-142s and IL-38s?

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun May 29, 2016 10:57 am

VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

How capable are the TU-142s and IL-38s?

We do not know much about their capabilities as probably even Russians themself are not sure due to their specific operation nature. But we know that latest version of Tu-142 was able to detect and track Oscar subs in trials that took place in late 80s. Naturally today their capabilities are not really to be compared with latest ASW aircraft.

When its about IL-38 with this upgrate from what we could read around it should be near capabilities of other modern medium range ASW aircraft, i say near as not all of its original equipment was not replaced but rather improved or overhauled.

But we all hope for new fixed wing ASW-maritime patrol variant to come in upcoming years, two variants actually would be the best, one based on Be-200/Be-40 and another on turbofan platform for longer ranges.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun May 29, 2016 11:19 am

From the information I have read the domestic version of Sea Dragon should actually be pretty state of the art, and that there are versions for the Il-38 and Tu-142.

The only problems I have read about regarding the Bear is that its high speed design... ie swept wings make deploying ULW or ultra low wave antennas for communications with subs is difficult as the low flight speeds needed to deploy the several km long cables that have to be deployed near vertically means flying at close to stall speed for the Bear... which is an issue of course.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 am

GarryB wrote:From the information I have read the domestic version of Sea Dragon should actually be pretty state of the art, and that there are versions for the Il-38 and Tu-142.

The only problems I have read about regarding the Bear is that its high speed design... ie swept wings make deploying ULW or ultra low wave antennas for communications with subs is difficult as the low flight speeds needed to deploy the several km long cables that have to be deployed near vertically means flying at close to stall speed for the Bear... which is an issue of course.

well the problem with export of ASW aircrafts in Russia is that there are no suitable platforms anytime soon. Tu-204 might be but for other reasons is dead...

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Sun May 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I see, so basically not capable enough to find modern US subs as in the way US ASW air craft can find Russian subs.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 pm

VladimirSahin wrote:I see, so basically not capable enough to find modern US subs as in the way US ASW air craft can find Russian subs.

I see problem abit different, problem is the number of platforms that Russia has. There are very few ASW and maritime patrol aircraft in Russian inventory in general.

Atm in US there are like 100 P3 Orion variants, about 40 or so P8A with 120ish in total on order. Japan for an example also has almost 150 maritime patrol/ASW aircraft and nearly 100 P3s...

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Militarov wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:I see, so basically not capable enough to find modern US subs as in the way US ASW air craft can find Russian subs.

I see problem abit different, problem is the number of platforms that Russia has. There are very few ASW and maritime patrol aircraft in Russian inventory in general.

Atm in US there are like 100 P3 Orion variants, about 40 or so P8A with 120ish in total on order. Japan for an example also has almost 150 maritime patrol/ASW aircraft and nearly 100 P3s...

F*** sanctions Laughing

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sun May 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Boeing's P-8 Poseidon can cast close to $256.5 million each.P-8 does not have Magnetic Anomally Dectection sensors.US Navy chooses not to use it. Navy assumes it'll use P8 at high altitude.P-8 is designed to operate at higher altitudes. Navy will probably realize it needs the MAD and they'll have to SLEP the P-3's, or give in and put the MAD on the P-8.

They probably use a mass spectrometry based system to detect exhaust fumes. Unsure what that'll do against a nuclear powered submarine.my guess is they'll go for sonobuoys from above. I hope they can carry enough sonobuoys. The next alternative is to use a MAD on a reel, but one that won't snap at the cruising speed of a P-8? Might be tricky.

The acoustic detection system of a P-8 is 2x as effective as that of the P-3, and this is used to advance the claim that the MAD is not necessary. Unsure how I feel about this, especially since it is not an aircraft capability, but that of its sonobuoys (which cannot be retrieved and re-used, which limits the "fishing" capability of the P-8; it must be reasonably sure before it drops buoys into the water).

Vladimir Sahnin don't overestimate US ASW skills . I don't know why many people carry the preconceived notion that US ASW skills are extraordinary.

Surprised to know Russian ASW planes are limited in number let alone any future export model

But what I've read ( can be wrong also) that Russian Sonar systems(Acoustics) are quite efficient and capable to track enemy subs in littoral waters and maybe around arctic. Is it true ?

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Sun May 29, 2016 9:27 pm

VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

F*** sanctions Laughing

Well this problem exists since early 90s when many ASW aircrafts were retired and spots were never filled later on.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Regarding your question about nuclear warheads for depth charges Max... as Russian subs get quieter the likelyhood of detecting them at a range where you can use nuke warheads reduces... Sea Lance never entered US service because there was no point... its increase in range over ASROC and SUBROC was pointless because they could no longer detect Russian subs at the longer range.

I agree, but they have more MPAs than the UK... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I see, so basically not capable enough to find modern US subs as in the way US ASW air craft can find Russian subs.

Actually I would say Sea Dragon in its domestic version is totally comparable to anything the west has, the problem for both sides is that Russian subs have gotten quieter... to the point where active sonar has become a necessary tactic for surface vessels to detect subs at anything like a useful range on anything like a regular basis. AIP equipped subs will make this even more pronounced as they are quieter than nuke subs.

Well this problem exists since early 90s when many ASW aircrafts were retired and spots were never filled later on.

ASW is expensive.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

archangelski
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  archangelski on Mon May 30, 2016 4:07 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    GarryB wrote:From the information I have read the domestic version of Sea Dragon should actually be pretty state of the art, and that there are versions for the Il-38 and Tu-142.

well the problem with export of ASW aircrafts in Russia is that there are no suitable platforms anytime soon. Tu-204 might be but for other reasons is dead...

Why not a derivative of the Be-200 ??

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 30, 2016 5:27 pm

archangelski wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:

Why not a derivative of the Be-200 ??

Be-200 is one of the options, however that would be short to medium range ASW aircraft but if someone asked me Be-42 variant with turboprops would be alot better idea. They also need something long range, with current situation probably something based on turbofan engines (Tu-204?).

http://www.beriev.com/eng/A-42PE_e/A-42PE_e.html

archangelski
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  archangelski on Mon May 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Militarov wrote:

Be-200 is one of the options, however that would be short to medium range ASW aircraft but if someone asked me Be-42 variant with turboprops would be alot better idea. They also need something long range, with current situation probably something based on turbofan engines (Tu-204?).

Be-42 was in consideration recently for Russian Navy to replace venerable Be-12, but there is no more news of that intent (and turboprop version was planned with D-27 engines...unfortunately made in Ukraine).

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 pm

archangelski wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Be-42 was in consideration recently for Russian Navy to replace venerable Be-12, but there is no more news of that intent (and turboprop version was planned with D-27 engines...unfortunately made in Ukraine).

There is always some NK-12 more modern variant as an option.

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon May 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Militarov wrote:
    archangelski wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Probably more efficient, new engines will increase range...now not too impressive comparing to Tu-204. But choice was already made AFAIK.

By 2020, anti-submarine amphibian be-12 will be replaced by seaplanes A-40

https://lenta.ru/new/2016/03/03/albatros/
    By 2020, anti-submarine amphibian be-12 will be replaced by seaplanes A-40. This was stated by the chief of the naval aviation of the black sea fleet Colonel Gennady Pens, reports RIA Novosti.

Earlier, in July 2015, a senior source in the leadership of the Navy arguedthat the military order of the anti-submarine aircraft based on amphibian be-200, which, in turn, was created in 1990-ies with the use of hurt on the plane A-40.

Anti-submarine amphibian aircraft A-40 (Be-42 "Albatross" was developed in the early 1980-ies in the USSR to replace the be-12. For the first time the car took off in 1986, in 1990, was put into service, but mass production never got (been released just two instances). In 1998 there was a civil aircraft be-200 (fire-fighting and search and rescue variants) created on the basis of A-40.

Machine takeoff weight of about 90 tons was powered by two turbojet engines D-30КВП (option engines from the Il-76 aircraft). The plane boasted a maximum speed of 760 kilometers per hour and carry up to 6.5 tons of payload. In the airborne weapons could come in three anti-submarine torpedo at-3 "Orlan", four anti-submarine missile the APR-2 "Hawk" or six MAY-3 "eagle", as well as mines, depth charges and sonobuoys.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    archangelski wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Probably more efficient, new engines will increase range...now not too impressive comparing to Tu-204. But choice was already made AFAIK.

By 2020, anti-submarine amphibian be-12 will be replaced by seaplanes A-40

https://lenta.ru/new/2016/03/03/albatros/
    By 2020, anti-submarine amphibian be-12 will be replaced by seaplanes A-40. This was stated by the chief of the naval aviation of the black sea fleet Colonel Gennady Pens, reports RIA Novosti.

Earlier, in July 2015, a senior source in the leadership of the Navy arguedthat the military order of the anti-submarine aircraft based on amphibian be-200, which, in turn, was created in 1990-ies with the use of hurt on the plane A-40.

Anti-submarine amphibian aircraft A-40 (Be-42 "Albatross" was developed in the early 1980-ies in the USSR to replace the be-12. For the first time the car took off in 1986, in 1990, was put into service, but mass production never got (been released just two instances). In 1998 there was a civil aircraft be-200 (fire-fighting and search and rescue variants) created on the basis of A-40.

Machine takeoff weight of about 90 tons was powered by two turbojet engines D-30КВП (option engines from the Il-76 aircraft). The plane boasted a maximum speed of 760 kilometers per hour and carry up to 6.5 tons of payload. In the airborne weapons could come in three anti-submarine torpedo at-3 "Orlan", four anti-submarine missile the APR-2 "Hawk" or six MAY-3 "eagle", as well as mines, depth charges and sonobuoys.

Yeah, however turboprops would perform alot better for such platform, especially due to fact its to be medium range/weight ASW platform.

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 am

Militarov wrote: Yeah, however turboprops would perform alot better for such platform, especially due to fact its to be medium range/weight ASW platform.

Then Il-114 seems to be best option. Same range (w/o additional tans), similar range/load...I wonder if flying boat buyancy counts here?

IMHO best would be ASW based on Bartini Beriev VVA-14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartini_Beriev_VVA-14

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Tue May 31, 2016 6:03 pm

Looks like Vietnam is gonna have to go with P-3 since it doesn't look like the Il-38 is in production anymore.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Looks like Vietnam is gonna have to go with P-3 since it doesn't look like the Il-38 is in production anymore.

There is high posibility they will buy used ones, as US is planning to retire like 80 of P3s by 2018.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:16 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:16 am