Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    RS-26 Missile System

    Share

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 am

    I thought it would be worth starting up a thread on the topic of a missile that has recently been referred by the “treaty” designation of RS-26.

    Based on some fragmentary information published about this missile, I would like to propose the following hypothesis on this missile.

    1- The missile is an ICBM.
    2- It uses stages derived from the first two stages of Yars, topped by a number of hypersonic scramjet-powered independently-targeted reentry vehicles.
    3- This arrangement would give it a maximum range of well over 11,000 km, which represents a performance level considered important, for an ICBM, by the Russians.
    4- If the reentry vehicles proposed under item “2” were replaced with heavy, unpowered reentry vehicles, the range of the missile will fall to around 6,000 km, which is consistent with some of the discussions that surround this missile.
    5- Due to the above considerations the missile system would have a mass that is substantially lower than that of Yars missile system—missile + launcher mass of 80 tonnes.
    6- The missile’s road-mobile launcher would also be substantially smaller and lighter than that of the Yars missile system, i.e. it would be in the MZKT-79291 class.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 6085
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Austin on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:35 am

    BTW where did you get the Hypersonic Ramjet part ?

    What we know from missile designer interview is they dont use post Boost vehical and that its warhead is independently propelled and guided ......we do not know what kind of propulsion if its uses normal fuel or something exotic.

    Its still a mystery what RS-26 is although all indicating are its a lighter missile that needs 80 T vehical compared to RS-24 120 Ton

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:44 am

    Austin wrote:BTW where did you get the Hypersonic Ramjet part ?
    What I actually said was "scramjet"; that's "supersonic combustion ramjet".

    My initial post is hypothetical, but it’s based on the

    1- capabilities and
    2- requirements.

    In my follow up posts, I would elaborate more on these points.


    Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling.)

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 6085
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Austin on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 pm

    Sorry didnt get you earlier.

    I dont think these warheads are scramjet propulsion unless you have some valid point to prove other wise and I would be happy to debate with you on that.

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:13 am

    Austin wrote:What we know from missile designer interview is they dont use post Boost vehical and that its warhead is independently propelled and guided ......we do not know what kind of propulsion if its uses normal fuel or something exotic.

    Its still a mystery what RS-26 is although all indicating are its a lighter missile that needs 80 T vehical compared to RS-24 120 Ton

    In the case of RS-26, it’s not just that it doesn’t have a post boost vehicle (PBV), but it also doesn’t even have a third stage, hence the confusion, in some circles, about it being an IRBM.

    Unless a very high specific impulse (Isp) and structurally mass-efficient propulsion system was being used for each reentry vehicle (RV), replacing the third stage, the PBV, and the RVs with independently propelled RVs would technically have very little (i.e. almost no) advantage and a lot of disadvantages. That is the Isp and mass-efficiency requirements have to be so high as to offset the “penalty” of the configuration just described. The easiest way for the Russians to achieve the required level of Isp and mass-efficiency is through the use of a scramjet or a ramjet. The option of using a subsonic combustion ramjet is not viable due to the Russian speed requirements and one other technical consideration; so the “easiest” option available for them would be to use scramjets.

    Of course, this hypothetical system would really be an air-augmented ICBM, like for example the ancient Russian Gnom system. As such this system would even be more efficient than a rocket-only system, and would allow a substantial reduction of the system mass for a given level of performance.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 6085
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Austin on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:39 am

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:In the case of RS-26, it’s not just that it doesn’t have a post boost vehicle (PBV), but it also doesn’t even have a third stage, hence the confusion, in some circles, about it being an IRBM.

    Unless a very high specific impulse (Isp) and structurally mass-efficient propulsion system was being used for each reentry vehicle (RV), replacing the third stage, the PBV, and the RVs with independently propelled RVs would technically have very little (i.e. almost no) advantage and a lot of disadvantages. That is the Isp and mass-efficiency requirements have to be so high as to offset the “penalty” of the configuration just described. The easiest way for the Russians to achieve the required level of Isp and mass-efficiency is through the use of a scramjet or a ramjet. The option of using a subsonic combustion ramjet is not viable due to the Russian speed requirements and one other technical consideration; so the “easiest” option available for them would be to use scramjets.

    Of course, this hypothetical system would really be an air-augmented ICBM, like for example the ancient Russian Gnom system. As such this system would even be more efficient than a rocket-only system, and would allow a substantial reduction of the system mass for a given level of performance.

    I practically see no reason why they should eliminate the 3rd stage , and I recollect an interview with Yuri Solmonov where he mentioned that PBV was eliminated and not any stages. The idea of it not having 3rd stage is propogated by Pavel Podvig blog but it does not have any technical merits ( as far as I can see )

    The IRBM thing is just a US creation , few senators got mad and started complaining based on some flimsy report

    Coming back to Scramjet , If Scramjet propulsion is used it would need air to burn in and in space you cant get scramjet to burn as there will be no fuel for it to burn , technicall you can burn a scramjet at 90 -100 km.

    So there is a possibility that once the 3rd stage is burnt out the Warhead having its own propulsion ( liquid fuel ) separates out and heads towards the designated target and once it reaches the high atmosphere of 90 km a scramjet propulsion takes over and powers it all along

    The other possibility is Warhead having own propulsion ( small liquid fuel engine , control system and guidance plus Warhead ) when in space so they disperse off and once it reaches high atmosphere its a Boost Glide Vehical like RS-24 warhead.




    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:42 am

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Of course, this hypothetical system would really be an air-augmented ICBM, like for example the ancient Russian Gnom system. As such this system would even be more efficient than a rocket-only system, and would allow a substantial reduction of the system mass for a given level of performance.

    Of course my reference to Gnom is only in a general sense, as Gnom, while being an air-augmented ICBM, had a very different trajectory profile.

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    RS-26

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 am

    According to ITAR-TASS, an anonymous source from the Russian armed forces general staff has said that RS-26 will enter service in 2015, starting with the RVSN's 51st Guards Rocket Division at Irkutsk.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 am

    Coming back to Scramjet , If Scramjet propulsion is used it would need air to burn in and in space you cant get scramjet to burn as there will be no fuel for it to burn , technicall you can burn a scramjet at 90 -100 km.

    Technically all it needs is oxygen to burn as a scramjet already has fuel on board.

    I have seen proposed designs with slush hydrogen used as the scramjet fuel... is super cold hydrogen can be pumped through the skin of the nose of the aircraft as well as the wing leading edge to cool them down before being pumped into the engine... this heat transfer makes the hydrogen hotter when it enters the engine... the hotter the better... and it also cools down areas that could overheat.

    it could operate in space by simply having an onboard oxygen supply that allows the hydrogen to burn while the aircraft is in space...



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5630
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Viktor on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:00 pm

    Another very important development  thumbsup

    MS-26 "Frontier" experience before the end of 2014.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9446
    Points : 9938
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  George1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:08 am

    so this is actually a missile more close to IRBM with a range of just above 5,500 so as not to violate INF Treaty.

    i have a question. Whats the purpose of the development of a nuclear missile of that range since the target can be reached with the greater range ICBMs that Russia has??

    1. Re-launch of a "SS-20 standard missile " as a part of a bid for global power on the part of Russia and send a message to the West that goes us back to where Cold War ended when INF Treaty was signed (1987) ?

    2. Part of an attempt of Russian military to develop a more sophisticated nuclear strategy that do not call for an all out nuclear first strike in case of nuclear war, by giving them a second strike capability?

    3. Or just Russian government want to promote the interests of the military-industrial complex by ordering various types of missiles?


    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:28 am

    George1 wrote:so this is actually a missile more close to IRBM with a range of just above 5,500 so as not to violate INF Treaty.

    i have a question. Whats the purpose of the development of a nuclear missile of that range since the target can be reached with the greater range ICBMs that Russia has??

    1. Re-launch of a "SS-20 standard missile " as a part of a bid for global power on the part of Russia and send a message to the West that goes us back to where Cold War ended when INF Treaty was signed (1987) ?

    2. Part of an attempt of Russian military to develop a more sophisticated nuclear strategy that do not call for an all out nuclear first strike in case of nuclear war, by giving them a second strike capability?

    3. Or just Russian government want to promote the interests of the military-industrial complex by ordering various types of missiles?


    You first repeat a myth, you ask "why", and then you try to justify the myth?

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9446
    Points : 9938
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  George1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 am

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    George1 wrote:so this is actually a missile more close to IRBM with a range of just above 5,500 so as not to violate INF Treaty.

    i have a question. Whats the purpose of the development of a nuclear missile of that range since the target can be reached with the greater range ICBMs that Russia has??

    1. Re-launch of a "SS-20 standard missile " as a part of a bid for global power on the part of Russia and send a message to the West that goes us back to where Cold War ended when INF Treaty was signed (1987) ?

    2. Part of an attempt of Russian military to develop a more sophisticated nuclear strategy that do not call for an all out nuclear first strike in case of nuclear war, by giving them a second strike capability?

    3. Or just Russian government want to promote the interests of the military-industrial complex by ordering various types of missiles?


    You first repeat a myth, you ask "why", and then you try to justify the myth?

    thats your judgement, i just raise a question

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 am

    If it only has a range of just over IRBM range then it would be because it will be used against targets in Asia, the middle east, and Europe and does not require the range to hit the US.

    Any ICBM loaded with extra warhead weight will have a reduced range, it really depends on the warhead selection.

    I doubt it will carry a huge number of warheads as they are developing a heavy ICBM for that purpose.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9446
    Points : 9938
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:13 am

    This system was sometimes referred as "Avangard" in past years

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5630
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Viktor on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:27 am

    Nice  thumbsup

    The new missile system RS-26 will go on combat duty in 2016

    Kyo
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 514
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2014-11-03
    Age : 67
    Location : Brasilia

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Kyo on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:59 pm

    Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup

    The new missile system RS-26 will go on combat duty in 2016


    http://rt.com/news/217695-abm-killer-missile-russia/

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5630
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:17 pm

    Nice .... weight reduction is apparently one of the most significant accomplishments .... thumbsup

    Source: launch control RS-26 will take place in early 2015

    dino00
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 116
    Points : 161
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Location : portugal

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  dino00 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:27 pm

    Test launch of Russia's new ballistic missile RS-26 due in March — source

    A test launch of the new solid propellant inter-continental ballistic missile RS-26, based on the previous model RS-24 Yars has been scheduled for the middle of March, a source in the defence industry said.
    "There are plans for launching the RS-26 toward the end of the quarter, some day in the middle of March," the source said.
    First published by TASS.

    http://in.rbth.com/news/2015/02/02/test_launch_of_russias_new_ballistic_missile_rs-26_due_in_march_source_41131.html

    RTN
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 185
    Points : 170
    Join date : 2014-03-24
    Location : Fairfield , CT

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  RTN on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:06 am

    GarryB wrote:Any ICBM loaded with extra warhead weight will have a reduced range, it really depends on the warhead selection.

    Garry, quick question. On what basis will they determine the "test range" of the RS-26? Obviously it is not going to fly for 10,000 miles during the tests.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  GarryB on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 am

    Garry, quick question. On what basis will they determine the "test range" of the RS-26? Obviously it is not going to fly for 10,000 miles during the tests.

    Decoys and jammers tend to be lighter than warheads, so you can load a missile with fewer warheads and lots of decoys and jammers or you can fill it with as many warheads as will fit and cram as many decoys and jammers as you can in the remaining space.

    Just like a ballistic bullet from a rifle if you change the trajectory angle you change the range of the bullet... though with aerodynamic bullets and lighter or heavier bullets you can also effect range.

    The tests they do involve precisely angled shots from a launch area to a target area... using a depressed trajectory you can keep a 10,000km range missile within the boundaries of the test range.

    With a few calculations knowing the payload carried and the chosen angle fired you can easily work out expected range with a standard payload.

    A really heavy missile like Satan could pretty much put a payload into orbit so the range is unlimited... of course most of the time a direct flight that lands first time is the quickest way to the target and the most likely path chosen.

    Putting a nuke in orbit is technically against the rules, though there were versions of the SS-9 and SS-18 that were fractional orbital bombardment systems (ie FOBS).

    Pretty much if you draw a straight line from one point on planet earth to another point anywhere else... you can continue that line around the world and make a full circle. A FOBs system is fired at the target, but going around the long way so it comes in and attacks from the opposite direction it is expected from.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9446
    Points : 9938
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  George1 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:01 pm

    Control Launch of Missile “Rubezh” (RS-26) is Scheduled for March

    Benchmark test launch of a new solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile having a working title of RS-26, created on the basis of RS-24 “Yars”, is scheduled for mid-March.

    This was announced today to TASS by a source in the defense industry. “It is planned to launch (RS-26) near the end of the quarter, somewhere in the middle of March,” the interlocutor of the agency said. According to him, after considering the results of the test launch it will be decided to take rockets into service.

    RS-26 is also known as the “Avangard” and “Rubezh”. It is expected that it will be lighter than “Yars” and will have improved warheads and multiple reentry warhead. These missiles will be launched only with mobile complexes – the silo-based options are not provided.

    Rmf
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 381
    Points : 376
    Join date : 2013-05-30

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Rmf on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:19 am

    RTN wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Any ICBM loaded with extra warhead weight will have a reduced range, it really depends on the warhead selection.

    Garry, quick question. On what basis will they determine the "test range" of the RS-26? Obviously it is not going to fly for 10,000 miles during the tests.
    you fly it on higher parabolic trajectory compared to optimal meaning it will have less range or against earth rotation. also sometime ballast weight is added to 3rd stage but that compromises acceleration data.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9446
    Points : 9938
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  George1 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 am

    The results of tests of ICBM's “Rubezh” found to be successful

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 6085
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Age : 40
    Location : India

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Austin on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:24 pm

    Developing a strategic missile RS-26 - one of the reciprocal steps on the deployment of US missile defense - a source in the Russian Defense Ministry


    Moscow. March 26th. Interfax-AVN - intercontinental ballistic missile RS-26 "Frontier", developed in Russia, does not violate the requirements of the START-3 and Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), said, "Interfax-AVN" on Thursday in the Russian Defense Ministry .

    "Americans have no official claims to the missile RS-26 will be charged. Because of these claims have no grounds. The American side was presented telemetry test launches RS-26, which clearly proves that the new missile belongs to the class of intercontinental ballistic and does not violate the agreement START -3 and INF - a spokesman said.

    He was commenting on the publication in the newspaper "Kommersant" that in Russia successfully completed state tests MS-26, which may soon enter the Strategic Missile Forces, and that the US considers this a violation of START and INF.

    According to him, work on the PC-26, which differs from the missile RS-24 fewer steps and a reduced range of start-up, is one of reciprocal steps Russia to deploy US global missile defense system.

    "We have repeatedly warned the US" counter-partners "that new US missile defense bases in Poland, Romania and other European countries will not go unanswered," - a spokesman said.

    He explained that at the start of missile RS-26 "Frontier", for example, from the interior of Russia, it becomes virtually invulnerable to any prospective US missile defense due to the small time steps of the active site of work.

    Earlier, former Chief of General Staff Strategic Missile Forces, Colonel-General Viktor Esin said "IF-AVN" that Russia promptly notify American partners under the START-3 to work on the modernization of intercontinental missile RS-24 variant, called the RS-26.

    "Moreover, it was demonstrated launch MS-26 from the Plesetsk cosmodrome at the Kura test site in Kamchatka at a distance of more than 6 thousand. 300 kilometers," - said V.Esin who participated in the preparation of the START-3.

    Thus, he said, the start-up performance confirms that the PC-26 is not subject to the restrictions on the range set by INF Treaty, prohibiting the United States and the Russian Federation to produce, test and deploy ballistic and cruise missiles, ground-based medium (from 1000 to 5500 km) is lower (from 500 to 1000 km) range.
    V.Esin recalled that the START-3 will allow the United States and Russia to modernize its intercontinental ballistic carriers. "And the Americans use it fully upgrading its" Minutemen "- V.Esin.

    He noted that the exercise with Plesetsk launch of the RS-26 shows that "no doubt about intercontinental missiles this class can not be."

    The expert also pointed out that Russia, as required by the START-3, notifies its American partners on activities in the field of modernization of strategic weapons and conducted launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles.

    Sponsored content

    Re: RS-26 Missile System

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:46 am


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 am