Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Share
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11481
    Points : 11954
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:25 am

    US troops stay in Afghanistan also for geopolitical reasons , says top MP

    MOSCOW, October 15. /TASS/. The US decision to extend military presence in Afghanistan is motivated not only by military, but also by geopolitical considerations, the first deputy chairman of the Russian upper house’s defence and security committee told Tass on Thursday in comments on a statement by US President Barack Obama.

    "This decision was forecasted, as in 14 years, since 2001, Americans have failed to either protect Afghanistan against Taliban and Al-Qaeda or to stop drug trafficking from that country," Franz Klintsevich said.

    "Moreover, the situation there has worsened further, and withdrawing from Afghanistan in this conditions would mean acknowledgement of their own impotence," the parliamentarian said.

    Earlier on Thursday, Obama said the US would keep the current number of US military, 9,800, in Afghanistan for the most part of 2016, and their mission would remain the same.

    President Obama said the troop extension could "make a real difference" for Afghanistan and Afghan security forces, which he said were "not as strong" as they needed to be.

    The legislator said Washington’s decision was not purely military, but geopolitical" and could be in particular prompted by Russia’s growing influence in the region.

    "Afghanistan has started looking to Russia of late. Contacts of our countries’ representatives have got more frequent at very different levels. Of course it could not go unnoticed by Americans," Klintsevich said.

    "I would not either disregard the developments in Syria. I don’t rule out that successful activity of our Aerospace Forces could also directly or indirectly influence the decision of the US president," the parliamentarian added.

    In March, Obama suspended the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, although earlier he had pledged that half of them would return home by the end of this year, and that in a year’s time American military would stay only on the territory of the US Embassy in Kabul.

    On Thursday, the president said the US would keep 5,500 troops after 2016 that would be stationed in four locations - Kabul, Bagram, Jalalabad and Kandahar.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11481
    Points : 11954
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  George1 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

    Kerry’s Central Asian Trip Part of 'Eurasian Game of Chess'

    US State Secretary John Kerry is now on a trip across Central Asia. According to political analyst Boris Mezhuev, the US is making efforts to strengthen its influence in the region, in response to Russia’s growing role in the Middle East.

    On October 30, US State Secretary John Kerry started his Central Asian journey, which will continue until November 3. During the trip, Kerry was expected to visit Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.

    This is the first visit by a US Secretary of State to all five ex-Soviet Central Asian countries.

    A number of issues are on the agenda, including regional and global security, the fight against terrorism as well as bilateral ties between Washington and the region.

    In Samarkand, Uzbekistan Kerry also held a meeting with all top diplomats of the region.

    The US has intensified its role in Central Asia to compensate for their losses in the Middle East where Russia has recently emerged as a significant player.

    "It was a surprise for the US. Russia has emerged as a major player in the Middle East, a region traditionally dominated by Washington. The US is now sending a signal it could bolster its influence in Central Asia," he told Radio Sputnik.

    "The US still keeps its forces on the ground in Afghanistan. I believe Washington wants to create a coalition against the Islamist threat in Central Asia and deepen its ties with the region," he added.

    The analyst explained that the US keeps its troops in Afghanistan to counter Russia’s dominance in the region.

    "Washington knows that if its troops are withdrawn from Afghanistan it will lose the country forever. At least, Central Asian countries would pay more attention to various Eurasian security blocs, like the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, the Collective Security Treaty Organization etc. Thus, Russia’s influence will grow," Mezhuev pointed out.

    According to him, now the US is trying to prove it can retain both military and political influence in Central Asia.

    "This is why all that is happening. It’s just a typical 'grand chessboard', as Bzhezhinsky described it. Washington is letting Russia know that its role in the region is both a military and political one," he concluded.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/politics/20151102/1029476674/kerry-trip-central-asia.html#ixzz3qLm6CvI5

    victor1985

    Posts : 650
    Points : 681
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  victor1985 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:11 pm

    And those nations speak to kerry? What a bunch of traitors...russia must be for them main ally and only

    par far

    Posts : 1686
    Points : 1857
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Turkmens begin gas pipeline rival to Iran’s

    Post  par far on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:48 pm

    Turkmenistan is building a gas pipeline to rival Iran, this is probably the US telling(probably came after John Kerry's visit) Turkmenistan to do this and this is right before the sanctions on Iran are to be lifted, so this just the US screwing a Russian ally. Russia cannot trust the post soviet countries and need to be careful with them because they can be easily affected by the west. The pipeline will run trough Afghanistan and Pakistan, won't the terrorists blow it up, probably not because the US controls the all terrorists. And this is coming out just after the Russian plane crash in Egypt.





    http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/11/08/436775/Turkmenistan-gas-pipeline-TAPI-Iran-




    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3671
    Points : 3776
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  kvs on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:08 pm

    par far wrote:Turkmenistan is building a gas pipeline to rival Iran, this is probably the US telling(probably came after John Kerry's visit) Turkmenistan to do this and this is right before the sanctions on Iran are to be lifted, so this just the US screwing a Russian ally. Russia cannot trust the post soviet countries and need to be careful with them because they can be easily affected by the west. The pipeline will run trough Afghanistan and Pakistan, won't the terrorists blow it up, probably not because the US controls the all terrorists. And this is coming out just after the Russian plane crash in Egypt.

    http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/11/08/436775/Turkmenistan-gas-pipeline-TAPI-Iran-


    They can do whatever they want. Turkmenistan does not have the reserves to serve every market. It is already over-committed in its exports
    to China. Bach in the early 2000s there was this delusion that the Caspian basin was the new Middle East. There were big plans for the Nabucco
    pipeline to bypass Russia and feed the EU with Turkmen gas. It was all epic BS. The only suppliers that can compete with Russia are Iran together
    with Qatar.

    http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/turkmenistan-supplied-125-bcm-gas-to-china-25610

    Turkmenistan is supposed to ship 40 bcm/year of gas to China. That is a lot of gas and it does not have much more export capacity.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7113
    Points : 7385
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:33 pm

    kvs wrote:
    par far wrote:Turkmenistan is building a gas pipeline to rival Iran, this is probably the US telling(probably came after John Kerry's visit) Turkmenistan to do this and this is right before the sanctions on Iran are to be lifted, so this just the US screwing a Russian ally. Russia cannot trust the post soviet countries and need to be careful with them because they can be easily affected by the west. The pipeline will run trough Afghanistan and Pakistan, won't the terrorists blow it up, probably not because the US controls the all terrorists. And this is coming out just after the Russian plane crash in Egypt.

    http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/11/08/436775/Turkmenistan-gas-pipeline-TAPI-Iran-


    They can do whatever they want.   Turkmenistan does not have the reserves to serve every market.   It is already over-committed in its exports
    to China.   Bach in the early 2000s there was this delusion that the Caspian basin was the new Middle East.   There were big plans for the Nabucco
    pipeline to bypass Russia and feed the EU with Turkmen gas.   It was all epic BS.   The only suppliers that can compete with Russia are Iran together
    with Qatar.  

    http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/turkmenistan-supplied-125-bcm-gas-to-china-25610

    Turkmenistan is supposed to ship 40 bcm/year of gas to China.   That is a lot of gas and it does not have much more export capacity.

    Take into account that Kazakhstan, Iran and Russia have major control over Caspian sea and all 3 have major agreements with each other on the control and resources belonging there. Probably to prevent that idea of the Nabucco.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4469
    Points : 4630
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:38 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    par far wrote:Turkmenistan is building a gas pipeline to rival Iran, this is probably the US telling(probably came after John Kerry's visit) Turkmenistan to do this and this is right before the sanctions on Iran are to be lifted, so this just the US screwing a Russian ally. Russia cannot trust the post soviet countries and need to be careful with them because they can be easily affected by the west. The pipeline will run trough Afghanistan and Pakistan, won't the terrorists blow it up, probably not because the US controls the all terrorists. And this is coming out just after the Russian plane crash in Egypt.

    http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/11/08/436775/Turkmenistan-gas-pipeline-TAPI-Iran-


    They can do whatever they want.   Turkmenistan does not have the reserves to serve every market.   It is already over-committed in its exports
    to China.   Bach in the early 2000s there was this delusion that the Caspian basin was the new Middle East.   There were big plans for the Nabucco
    pipeline to bypass Russia and feed the EU with Turkmen gas.   It was all epic BS.   The only suppliers that can compete with Russia are Iran together
    with Qatar.  

    http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/turkmenistan-supplied-125-bcm-gas-to-china-25610

    Turkmenistan is supposed to ship 40 bcm/year of gas to China.   That is a lot of gas and it does not have much more export capacity.

    Take into account that Kazakhstan, Iran and Russia have major control over Caspian sea and all 3 have major agreements with each other on the control and resources belonging there.  Probably to prevent that idea of the Nabucco.

    The resource sharing agreement included all the major Caspian Sea bordering nations, including Turkmenistan:

    https://www.rt.com/news/191592-caspian-sea-nations-deal/

    Turkmenistan will not have the luxury of using the Caspian Sea as a political weapon, and will likely be veto'd by the other nations.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11481
    Points : 11954
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  George1 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:19 pm

    Kazakhastan FM: Central Asia no pawns in "big game"

    ASTANA, December 23. /TASS/. Kazakhstan rejects the "big game" concept in the Central Asian region, which is a space for cooperation, Foreign Minister Erlan Idrissov told a news conference on Wednesday.

    Kazakhstan "flatly rejects the ‘big game’ concept ‘some politicians of the world began to talk about in connection with the active exchange of highest-and high-level visits, visits of the leaders of China, Russia, Turkey, India, Japan, the United States and Europe."

    "Kazakhstan and the countries of Central Asia are mature players, not pawns in any game," the minister said. "Kazakhstan sees Central Asia as a space for cooperation, collaboration and trust."

    Idrissov believes that "the legitimate interests that various major players have can be successfully combined and not collide" in Eurasia. In his opinion, this is a distinctive feature of Nursultan Nazarbayev's concept, "when everybody wins." "We will be consistently pursuing this line", which is the key to understanding Kazakhstan’s multi-vector policy, the minister added.

    http://tass.ru/en/world/846235
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2459
    Points : 2469
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    The Situation in Kazakhstan

    Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

    Four-Day Terror Spree Leaves at Least 20 Dead in Kazakhstan

    Six suspected terrorists remain at large in Kazakhstan following the deadliest internal attacks in the country's history, according to Kazakh officials. Twenty people — including 13 attackers killed by government forces — were reported dead this week in Aktobe, a city in the country's northwest sector near the border with Russia.

    "The government of Kazakhstan and Ministry of Internal Affairs are closely examining the events and what has taken place," said Yerlan Kubashev, a political counselor at the Embassy of Kazakhstan in Washington, D.C. "As the situation continues to unfold, we will not be able to draw any conclusions."

    The four-day rampage began Sunday with robberies at two gun stores, and continued as assailants hijacked a bus and rammed their way into a military base, where they killed three service members and wounded nine others. On Wednesday, the attackers assaulted a children's camp.

    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-10/four-day-terror-spree-leaves-at-least-20-dead-in-kazakhstan

    Interesting how this happened in a city with a quarter Russian population.
    Also this city was known as Aktyubinsk, but anti-Russian policies changed it to Aktobe.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7113
    Points : 7385
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:46 pm

    Changing names doesn't = anti Russian. Could also be nationalists nationalizing the country. That is what current leader does. To gain strength a power over the country, band together nationalists.

    And attacks happen everywhere. It hit a Kazakhstan military base. What does half a quarter Rus population have to do with this? Finding links where there is none?
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2459
    Points : 2469
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Changing names doesn't = anti Russian. Could also be nationalists nationalizing the country. That is what current leader does.  To gain strength a power over the country, band together nationalists.

    And attacks happen everywhere. It hit a Kazakhstan military base. What does half a quarter Rus population have to do with this? Finding links where there is none?

    I didn't mean Russians did that. As the city has a well known track record of jihadis attacks many years now.
    But the city has also been nothing short of colonised so to speak from the countryside with Muslim Kazakhs after the fall of USSR.

    PS. dropping Russian names is not pro-Russian either. Also the city predates USSR, so changing its name is falsification of history. It was a Russian fort.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7113
    Points : 7385
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:56 pm

    But that is now the issue of Kazakhstan as the city is their jurisdiction. Russians also have left in droves in the past from Kazakhstan so who fills the void? They simply "nationalizing" for central power. Always the case if you look at most CIS countries. I don't like it myself, but I don't see it as anti-Russian but more like: "I R Kazakh, Urah!" kinda thing. They are still very much friendly an sympathetic to Russia.

    As for the incident, it will be a growing trend, something Kazakhstan will have to work hard on in dealing. The more Muslims move in, the more likely terrorist cells increase. I know Russia is ramping up anti terrorism training with Kazakhstan and other CIS countries, but ultimately, Kazakhstan will have to work double/triple shift in dealing with these kind of people.

    Sucks that Russia has so many Muslim based nations south of her. But something they need to help deal with.

    I imagine in coming years, Kazakhstan will build a larger anti terrorist groups. They have little choice IMO.

    Edit: I do find it interesting that this happens not so long after the "anti gov protests" though. Soros hand?
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2459
    Points : 2469
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Edit: I do find it interesting that this happens not so long after the "anti gov protests" though. Soros hand?

    I find it interesting as it's near the oil too. Apparently the whole area there is a hub for oil and full of pipelines. Russia wouldn't want to mess that up. So it leaves us with the "moderate" and their support groups.

    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7113
    Points : 7385
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 29
    Location : Canada

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 pm

    Bad news for Kazakh authorities as well then. I imagine it will be a pretty hard crackdown on t authorities end.

    Project Canada

    Posts : 664
    Points : 667
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Location : Canada

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  Project Canada on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:54 am



    Sucks that Russia has so many Muslim based nations south of her. But something they need to help deal with.

    I find it suspicious how Islam spread quickly in central asia after the collapse of USSR (I suspect KSA has a big hand in this), i mean the region already has islamic past but this could have been rectified if only the Russian church has actively converted muslims/non religious people in these areas to Russian orthodoxy. imo political correctness in relation to islam needs to be obliterated completely, cause today, Islamic propagation = okay, not much fuss. Christian propagation = Insult to Muslims! Disrespect to Muslim religion! Extremism! etc Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Khepesh

    Posts : 1667
    Points : 1736
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  Khepesh on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:48 am

    Shooting occuring in Alma-Ata, said to be in two locations. Seems police are the targets. Photos and video in the link http://informburo.kz/novosti/video-s-telom-ubitogo-vo-vremya-perestrelki-v-almaty-policeyskim-poyavilos-v-seti.html
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11481
    Points : 11954
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  George1 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 am

    Russian, Turkmen presidents sign strategic partnership treaty

    A convention on the legal status of the Caspian Sea may be finally coordinated at a next summit of the region’s states

    ASHGABAT, October 2. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkmen counterpart Gurbanguly Berdimukhamedov have put their signatures to a bilateral treaty on strategic partnership. Their talks ended with the conclusion of another 14 joint documents.

    Agriculture ministers inked an inter-government agreement on cooperation in the agri-industrial complex, and industry ministers, an inter-government agreement on cooperation in industry.

    Other bilateral agreements concern cooperation in sports, tourism, the health service standards and metrology, inter-regional relations.

    Also, Putin and Berdimukhamedov made a joint statement.

    A convention on the legal status of the Caspian Sea may be finally coordinated at a next summit of the region’s states, Berdymukhamedov said.

    "We hope that the issue of finishing joint work on a convention on the Caspian status may be considered already at the fifth summit of the Caspian Sea states," the president said at talks with visiting Russian President Vladimir Putin.

    "This issue is of strategic importance for us, and I think that all of us, the Caspian Sea countries, will come out in favor of settling it," the Turkmen leader said.


    More:
    http://tass.com/politics/968483

    Sponsored content

    Re: Εconomic, political and security developments in Central Asia

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:59 am