Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Zubr-class LCAC

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Zubr-class LCAC

Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 am

Hi all, Russian navy isnt my strong point, but have always be facisinated with the ZUBR class. It would be great if anyone can give some more info on the hovercraft other than that supplied from wiki, also does anyone know if it has ever been used in any conflict?????? Also any views on its use, capabilities, and its future(does it have one?). I remember seeing a clip on youtube of one landing on a beach full of sunbathers looooool, they were all pretty shocked.

Last edited by George1 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Zubr-class LCAC

Post  TR1 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:22 am

Russia still has two operational.

China just bought 4 from Ukraine, 2 of which are yet to be made in China.
    The Ukranians basically stole a Russian design and called it a new name- another reason why I want all defense ties with Ukraine cut to a minimum. Enough is enough, every Russian tax dollar spent in Ukraine when it could be spent in Russia is a crime (it is unavoidable in many cases, like Motor-Sich engines).

Not that the guys up top care about the taxpayers money, but what else is new.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 am

TR1 you really don't like the Ukraine eh?

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am

flamming_python wrote:TR1 you really don't like the Ukraine eh?
    Their net trolls have been pissing me off Wink

I want to see them wail in anguish and denial more.

EDIT: Also selling SAMs to Georgia before the war....should have consequences.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 am

Pretty soon Klimov will be making some of those important Motor Sich engines for helicopters so Russia is getting weaned off the Ukrainian engine nipple.

(interesting that the most powerful soviet engines for attack helos and medium transport helos as well as tanks came from the ukraine...)

The Zubr is very well armed with the twin 30mm gun turrets up front they also have fully retractable Grad rocket launchers for hammering a beach in preparation for a landing... if I remember correctly something like 10% of beaches world wide are suitable for landing ships in terms of depth and angles, while 70% of the worlds beaches are land able by hovercraft.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:52 am

GarryB wrote:Pretty soon Klimov will be making some of those important Motor Sich engines for helicopters so Russia is getting weaned off the Ukrainian engine nipple.

(interesting that the most powerful soviet engines for attack helos and medium transport helos as well as tanks came from the ukraine...)

The Zubr is very well armed with the twin 30mm gun turrets up front they also have fully retractable Grad rocket launchers for hammering a beach in preparation for a landing...  if I remember correctly something like 10% of beaches world wide are suitable for landing ships in terms of depth and angles, while 70% of the worlds beaches are land able by hovercraft.

yeah its pretty well armed its even has anti air capabilities and are capable of carry decent amount of troops etc. Wow never knew about landing % of beaches etc, good to know, i am sure i read some where that the ZUBR can scale 1.5m high verticle walls, pretty impressive.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 am

Begs the question then as to why Russia seems to be moving away from its lead in hovercraft landing and combat vehicles.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 am

They are expensive and not efficient in terms of propulsion, though for a landing vessel they are the most effective and efficient available as they can land on ground to soft to drive through (marsh/river delta/quicksand) but too thick to sail through... and as a super bonus they float/fly over land mines that might have been positioned on likely beaches.

I rather suspect new hovercraft that can operate from the new Mistrals might be developed as operating from a mothership greatly extends their operational range and allows better flexibility for the landing forces.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:31 pm

the uses of the ZUBR are fantastic, all the typres of terrain that it can glide over especially marshes where an enemy wouldnt be expecting an attack from never mind, something like this,and unloading armoured vehicles and troops on mass would overwhelm them, and then you still have the grad launchers and 30mm cannons, Smile obviously they are probably quite weak against missle boats etc. the mine thing is pretty cool, i read this aswell that it is protected from magnetic influence mines with an active system to compensate for the magnetic fields generated by the ship and transported materials, cool Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 pm