Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

MIG-21, MIG-25, MIG-29SMT. Your views

Svyatoslavich

Re: MIG-21, MIG-25, MIG-29SMT. Your views

Post  Svyatoslavich Today at 12:30 am

I read in Yefim Gordon's book about the MiG-29 that North Korea bought the license to locally produce MiG-29s in the 80's, but was never able to really manufacture one on its own, the few MiG-29 they have came from the Soviet Union in kits and were just assembled there.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov Today at 12:37 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:I read in Yefim Gordon's book about the MiG-29 that North Korea bought the license to locally produce MiG-29s in the 80's, but was never able to really manufacture one on its own, the few MiG-29 they have came from the Soviet Union in kits and were just assembled there.

They bought kits to assemble in NK, and failed basically. Licence was never part of the deal as there was not even remote chance NK would ever be able to materialise such agreement.
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Today at 5:14 am

Militarov wrote:
    Svyatoslavich wrote:I read in Yefim Gordon's book about the MiG-29 that North Korea bought the license to locally produce MiG-29s in the 80's, but was never able to really manufacture one on its own, the few MiG-29 they have came from the Soviet Union in kits and were just assembled there.

They bought kits to assemble in NK, and failed basically. Licence was never part of the deal as there was not even remote chance NK would ever be able to materialise such agreement.

I would imagine that if they really put emphasis on aircraft production or know how to do it, as they do in rocket and missile development, I imagine it wouldn't take them long to figure it out.  Especially if they start by reverse engineering something like MiG-21's or J-7's.  Piece by piece.  It would take a long time and I know it will be difficult with probably some of them being no longer operational afterwards, but at least they can solve the issue of lack of replacements.  Hell, since there is nothing left to lose, Iran and North Korea can work together.  Heck, both would make good money together from such a development IMO. Maybe its their next thing after they are comfortable with their missiles they have designed and start actually producing the models they want.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am