Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russia, US and other developments in Hypersonic Research

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russia, US and other developments in Hypersonic Research

Post  Austin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

BrahMos missile cant be intercepted in next 20 years: A Sivathanu Pillai

BrahMos, the world's only supersonic cruise missile and a symbol of the India's military prowess has been billed to be "uninterceptable" for the "next 20 years", by none other than the "father of BrahMos" himself.

"The equivalent of BrahMos is yet to built. And, in the next 20 years, it cannot be intercepted by an enemy," says A Sivathanu Pillai, scientist, and CEO and MD of BrahMos Aerospace sharing the vision for the future trajectory of growth for the iconic missile technology developed jointly by India and Russia.

"We take pride in the fact that BrahMos, world's only supersonic cruise missile, a symbol of Indo-Russian co- operation, where India provided the guidance, avionics, software and airframe components, etc, has been successfully delivered to both the Indian Navy and the Indian Army and the aerial version for the Indian Air Force too shall be ready in few years time," Pillai told PTI in an interview.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm

gaurav
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  gaurav on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm

U.S never developed any supersonic cruise missile only subsonic cruise missile .Now they are trying to accelerate their Hypersnic program..?

I think that was a complete failure

"However after 16 seconds, a fault was identified with one of the cruiser control fins.
    "Once the X-51 separated from the rocket booster, approximately 15 seconds later, the cruiser was not able to maintain control due to the faulty control fin and was lost," the Air Force statement said.
    One of four X-51A vehicles remains after a series of tests with mixed results.
    U,S hypersonic test flight

U.S hypersonic flight test

The other hypersonic programs such as  Falcon  HTV-2 are related to "pure" ballistic missiles hence they are not pursued eagerly.
    The ballistic missile launch can be detected as a nuke attack.

The information given is misleading because mach numbers are inconsistent.

Hachimoto
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Hachimoto on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Don't spit because it's a US program!! it is in developement phase and the tests are here to detect failure in design / material /..etc

gaurav
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

hypersonic programs

Post  gaurav on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm

So much and so much thanks Cool

nemrod
    Major
    Major

Russia, US, developments in Hypersonic Research:

Post  nemrod on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130930/183845015/Russia-US-Neck-and-Neck-in-Hypersonic-Research--Rogozin.html

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Commenting on the recent nuclear submarine fire at a shipyard in Russia’s Far East, Rogozin said that snap inspections will be held at all Russian industrial facilities under his supervision to see how the management follows work and fire safety instructions.
    Finally at least one good idea from this guy.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Oh man, Rogozin's supervision, that has to be at such high industry standards Wink

Hopefully we get good pics from his visits (he is a twitter whore after all) that gauge the state of the Pacific Shipyards.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 pm

The sheer annoyance of members always talking trash of Rogozin. The man at least pushes for domestic. I bet if you guys were in position, you would import all, right?

Anyway, this is a very good idea, as this will keep management on their toes, especially if there is any reprecutions if there are violations.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Pay me the amount of money he gets, and I will talk about "all domestic" too all over Twitter and take photo opps in snazzy jackets every other day.

Come back to me when Rogozin actually does something without cameras around him.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 pm

I like his leather jacket. Were can I get a Rogozin loadout?

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:04 am

IDK about his leather jacket, but you can get that tank suit he was wearing from UVZ, all for the cheap affordable price of 87,000 rubles:

http://uvzshop.ru/catalog/dress/Form-00129/

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:18 am

Nice find TR-1... and they take Visa.... Smile

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 am

Tank suit for 87,000 rub?

It enrages me that all this new shit that they're exhibiting; the expensive tank suits, etc... none of it will find its way to the troops. It's all fucking pokazukha; for show before the cameras.
    For the troops, conscripts anyway - they'll just give out some low-quality rubbish and not what they need.

That's what I suspect anyway. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see how a country can change all that much in just a few years.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am

It is definitely a stupidly priced suit.

But it is just UVZ, the real problem is MoDs attitude towards enlisted men.
    Shoigu is at least doing some work on that level - like his decree of modern showers in every base. Common sense stuff, but common sense and the Russian military are sometimes contradictory subjects.

When you treat men like crap how do you expect they will treat their expensive shiny new Armatas...

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 pm

TR1 wrote:It is definitely a stupidly priced suit.
    Just a way to siphon some money off for some people I suspect.

I remember my eyes bulged out of my head when I read the figures circa 2011/2012 or so about how much was meant to be spent on each new conscript for the Yudashkin uniform and issued personal assortment (cup, cutlery, towels, etc...). It was approaching something like 100,000 rub if my memory doesn't fail me.

Approaching 100,000 rub for that assortment of cheap low-quality crap? They should have just had it produced all in China; 1/10th the price and the quality might have been a little better too.

I hope the tank suit is a little better. The fact that they are selling it commercially as well as through opaque military contracts is an encouraging sign; perhaps its quality could go half-way to matching its price. Maybe.

Deep Throat
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Hypersonic ICBM - Unique Russian Concept : Possible ?

Post  Deep Throat on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 am

In early 1997 engineers from the Raduga Design Bureau in Dubna came out with a unique concept for ICBMs.

Placing several supersonic or hypersonic cruise missiles instead of a nuclear warhead in a heavy ballistic missile. The designers thought that with this weapon, the Soviet Union would have been able to engage U.S. aircraft carrier fleets anywhere in the world directly from Siberia. A ballistic missile would carry the warhead into the targeted area, and there the cruise missiles themselves would detect and strike the target.
    The idea was abandoned because of inadequacy of funds.

QUESTION : Is such a concept possible today ? If YES, what are the pros and cons ?

Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  Sujoy on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Deep Throat wrote:QUESTION : Is such a concept possible today ? If YES, what are the pros and cons ?
    Guidance of these individual missiles , I suspect will emerge as a major hurdle .

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:04 am

Actually I have suggested such an idea myself... though my design used SLBMs.

The enormous speed of the SLBM and then the hypersonic missiles means the flight time to target is actually fairly short... a vulnerability of cruise missile carriers is that the launch platform could be engaged before missile release in addition to the fact that the missile carrier would need to be something like a Tu-160 or Tu-95 which is not easy to hide.

the current subsonic missiles with ranges of 5,000km mean the delivery vehicle can operate outside most air defence systems but the long flight time makes targeting moving targets problematic.

Satellite detection and tracking of targets however mean a SSBN in the Black Sea could receive target data about an attempted hijacking off the African coast with the mothership launching small attack boats towards a Russian vessel in the region... launch an SLBM and five minutes later a single hypersonic AShM is descending at mach 7 on the motherboat, while helicopters from a nearby Mistral class carrier send Ka-52Ks to deal with the individual attack boats...

Heck... give them supercavitating noses and let them go after submarines... Twisted Evil 

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 am

The main stumbling block will be the same as with Global Strike... how does everyone distinguish between a hypersonic AShM and a real SLBM... and basically they can't till it goes splash or boom, or BOOM.

BlackArrow
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  BlackArrow on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Deep Throat wrote:
    QUESTION : Is such a concept possible today ? If YES, what are the pros and cons ?
    The price is a major con naturally - as well as actually making the technology work. How are you going to guide the thing all the way from Siberia to a USN carrier target in the South Atlantic?

nemrod
    Major
    Major

SR-72 designed to overpower Russian Air Force

Post  nemrod on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:10 pm

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/features/2013/sr-72.html

http://aviationweek.com/awin-featured-story/exclusive-skunk-works-reveals-sr-71-successor-plan

The news nowadays are dominated mostly by Gaza's tragedy and genocide against palestinians, also in Ukraine, by russian-ukrainians ethnic-cleanning and slaughtering. These news are marked by agressive and barbaric western stance against Russia, uncommunly US'administration that are the sources of most of the problems in the world.
    Hence, I had not enough time to take looks about technology.

Nevertheless, it is worth sometimes to see what's happenned, and what are  projects  in american's mind to overpower China and Russia.

Could SR-72 to overpower the future Mig-41 ?

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:44 pm

There is almost no chance that it would be able to penetrate Russian air-defenses. The S-500 should be able to take care of it.

Also, the heat of the aircraft at hypersonic speeds would show up on IRST systems like a nuclear explosion.

No point in building a "Mig-41", interceptors are (currently) a thing of the past. Besides, the Russian aerospace industry is busy with the PAK-FA, newer variations of MiG's and Flankers, and the Fulcrum replacement. russia

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Russian aerospace is creating no Fulcrum replacement at the moment, actually.

A light modern fighter is far from decided. They might just go for a UCAV.

Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Hannibal Barca on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 pm

US industrial complex raise the stakes much above what they can catch. For someone who can't accomplish even relatively moderate programs like the f35 or the Zumwalt a mach 6 ramjet is well above their capabilities. Just an attempt to sell magazines. In the meantime they can spend their time trying to master ......mach 1 with F35  Laughing Razz Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:47 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 am