Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+14
Djoka
Asf
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
AlfaT8
Cpt Caz
a89
TR1
Russian Patriot
flamming_python
sepheronx
milky_candy_sugar
Admin
18 posters

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Admin
    Admin

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle Empty Russia, France to Jointly Build Armored Vehicle

Post  Admin Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 am

Russia, France to Jointly Build Armored Vehicle

16:32 29/06/2012
    ZHUKOVSKY, June 29 (RIA Novosti)

Russia and France will jointly build a new armored infantry vehicle in the next 18 months, the Rosoboronexport arms export monopoly said on Friday.
    Speaking at the Engineering Technologies forum at Zhukovsky near Moscow, Igor Sevastyanov, the company’s deputy chief, said he was heading a working party incorporating new technology from both nations and that a model had been made.

"We have a project under the aegis of a Russian-French group for land forces, which I head," Sevastyanov said. "Now we are working on development of some vehicles with a French base but with Russian weapons and Russian turrets.”

“The vehicle should appear in the near future, around 18 months. We have a draft design and a model has been made," he added.

He said France is also interested in co-production, with Russia, of an armored personnel carrier to be sold to third countries.

It may also be used by the French or Russian armed forces, he said, adding that the new vehicle would have to meet both Russian and NATO standards.

Previous media reports have suggested that talks have taken place between Russia and French military vehicle manufacturer, Panhard, on purchasing Panhard vehicles for Russia’s border guard service. The results of the talks have not been disclosed.

Sevastyanov also said Russia and the United States could cooperate in joint development of arms and military equipment. He did not mention any specific projects, only saying a “joint product” might be around in five to 10 years.

In addition, he said, all arms contracts previously signed with Egypt will be carried out.

“Egypt’s Defense Ministry confirmed that all contracts concluded with Russia will be implemented, possibly with some adjustments,” he said.
    “Egypt is an excellent paying client.”

On Libya, Sevastyanov said the country’s authorities were interested in continuing military-technical cooperation with Russia and unfreeze the contracts that were put on hold after the revolution.

Last August, Rosoboronexport chief Anatoly Isaikin put Russia’s “foregone profits” from the frozen contracts at $4 billion.

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120629/174304789.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle Empty Re: ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Post  GarryB Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 pm

This sounds pretty positive, though I do find it interesting that they want to jointly produce armoured vehicles now with three new vehicle families with 5 different versions are about to be revealed...

The front and rear engined Armata and the kurganets-25 and Boomerang-25 and 10 should result in a range of vehicle platforms suitable for a range of tasks with vehicles like Vystrel and Tigr-M to fill in the gaps.

Very good news about the continuation of military sales to Egypt and Libya too.
    milky_candy_sugar
    milky_candy_sugar

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle Empty ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Post  milky_candy_sugar Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 pm

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 183721617

MOSCOW, September 25 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s Uralvagonzavod and France’s Renault are jointly developing a new infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) with an increased firing range of up to 16 kilometers, the Russian company said Wednesday.
    “We [Uralvagonzavod and Renault Trucks Defense] unveiled today a prototype of a future IFV,” Uralvagonzavod general director Oleg Sienko said at Russian Arms Expo-2013, which opened Wednesday in the Urals city of Nizhny Tagil.
    “The French side provided us with the transmission, the engine, the concept and the fire control system,” he said.
    According to Sienko, the new IFV will be highly competitive on global markets because it is equipped with a powerful 57-mm gun, instead of the 30-mm variant that is standard for current IFVs.
    “With its maneuverability and fire power, we are certain that this product will be in high demand on the market,” Sienko said, adding that a joint Russian-French venture could be formed to set up localized production of the new IFV in Russia.
    Renault, France’s second-biggest carmaker, has made the Russian market one of its priorities for international development. Russia is already Renault’s fourth-largest automobile market.
    In 2014, the Renault-Nissan Alliance will get a majority stake in a joint venture with the Russian Technologies State Corporation, called Alliance Rostec Auto BV, which will control AvtoVAZ, leader of the Russian car market.

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130925/183718541.html
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Ugly vehicle. And probably will end up the way of Iveco, not end up in service after a while. No point in this when Boomerang will be about, will be similar, and will be compatible with spare parts from Kurganets and Armata, which will make it significantly more economical.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 pm

sepheronx wrote:Ugly vehicle.  And probably will end up the way of Iveco, not end up in service after a while.  No point in this when Boomerang will be about, will be similar, and will be compatible with spare parts from Kurganets and Armata, which will make it significantly more economical.
    Don't be daft sepheronx, I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that this is a vehicle made for export. It's even hinted at in this very article if you read it carefully.

There was even a post over at Gurkhan's mentioning what must be this vehicle a few months back.
    When Rogozin visited France there were a bunch of agreements over joint-production and weapon sales.
    One of the things mentioned was a French APC with a Russian turret; made as a joint-venture for export and with a customer currently in negotiations.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah, well tell that to regular than when I mentioned the same thing in the other thread. Dont see how I state obvious is daft unless you dont know the word.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Easy gentlemen FlammingPython and Sepheronx , we don't need a pissing member war over French equipment

That being said, I think both of you have valid points. Something tells me the customer may be a former French North African colony- maybe Algeria , maybe Mali.

but other than that it mostly likely will not get implemented at home- Shogui is not dumb.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah its obviously not mean for Russia.

However a modern Russian 57mm turret is very interesting indeed, especially with sub-caliber rounds.
    a89

Post  a89 Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 am

However a modern Russian 57mm turret is very interesting indeed, especially with sub-caliber rounds.

I was hoping to see this caliber in BMPT.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 pm

a89 wrote:
    Same, I think it makes more sense than 30mm. Plenty of space in hull for 57mm rounds, and the shell is far more potent.
    Cpt Caz
    Cpt Caz

Post  Cpt Caz Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:24 pm

This photo gives you a pretty good idea of just how big this thing really is:

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 88qv

It's certainly no BTR. Shocked
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Cpt Caz wrote:This photo gives you a pretty good idea of just how big this thing really is:

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 88qv

It's certainly no BTR. Shocked
    ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle Btr80inserbia
    Sure as hell ain't!! Shocked
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Same, I think it makes more sense than 30mm. Plenty of space in hull for 57mm rounds, and the shell is far more potent.
    The new 57mm gun for Russia will likely be an IFV weapon for use against 30-40 ton enemy IFVs.

For a smaller country such a weapon could be used as a substitute for a light tank gun as the APFSDS rounds will likely penetrate most old generation tanks from the sides and possibly even from the front (ie old T-54s or T-34s and Shermans).

For the BMPT the threat is mostly from infantry and light ground and air targets so it would be harder to justify the enormous 57mm rounds... personally I think the BMPT model shown based on the armata with what appears to be a 23mm 6 barrel gatling, a 40mm automatic grenade launcher and a 120mm rifled gun/mortar would actually be the best all round compromise... even better than the best current anti infantry weapon load out on the BMP-3M. The 23mm gun is actually lighter than the 2A72 30mm cannon and the ammo is more compact so more can be carried. The high rate of fire would make it useful against targets that appear without warning and aerial targets that are close. the 40mm grenade launcher allows the vehicle to engage targets behind heavy frontal cover and out to 2.5km range with automatic fire allowing compensation for the small relative size of the individual grenades.... and of course the 120mm gun/mortar has a wider range of ammo than the 100mm rifled gun of the BMP-3, which only has HE Frag and missile ammo. The 120mm can fire the full range of Russian (and French) 120mm mortar ammo including laser guided rounds, and can also fire 120mm shells including HE Frag and HEAT previously used on the NONA which have a bigger and more effective payload than the 100mm rounds fired by the BMP-3M and a longer effective and maximum range.
    Cpt Caz
    Cpt Caz

Post  Cpt Caz Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:47 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Sure as hell ain't!! Shocked
    On the bright side, with a vehicle so large you definitely don't have to worry about soldiers riding on top. Wink 
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Cpt Caz wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:Sure as hell ain't!! Shocked
    On the bright side, with a vehicle so large you definitely don't have to worry about soldiers riding on top. Wink 
    How, the Turret takes up almost all of the flipping space. Rolling Eyes  Suspect 
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am

http://warspot.ru/ru/articles/1253-oboronekspo-2014-demonstratsiya-noveyshih-dostizheniy-otechestvennogo-opk

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle %D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE_18

Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 am

What vehicle is that? - Is it the French/Russian one? Nevermind, it is that French Russian one....

Anyway, thanks for that great link P.I.!
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 am

Mike E wrote:What vehicle is that? - Is it the French/Russian one? Nevermind, it is that French Russian one....

Yes it's the ATOM IFV, and due to sanctions it will be completely domestically built on the Russian side, with UVZ willingness to produce the vehicle is an indication that they see potential in it:

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2014/08/blog-post_14.html

Though I think some changes should be involved, such as changing the engine, gears and parts to be similar in spares/parts commonality to that of the Boomerang wheeled platform. Some people where complaining that the ATOM IFV sits to high giving it a larger profile, and while it's true it also has superior mine protection due to the higher profile, and APS (Active Protection System) plus PPS (Passive Protection System) should be able to make up for the higher profile. Personally I think ATOM IFV does have a place in Russia with some modifications to make the internal running parts to have commonality with the Boomerang platform, the MVD (The Ministry of Internal Affairs) could make good use of it in Dagestan.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:21 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Mike E wrote:What vehicle is that? - Is it the French/Russian one? Nevermind, it is that French Russian one....

Yes it's the ATOM IFV, and due to sanctions it will be completely domestically built on the Russian side, with UVZ willingness to produce the vehicle is an indication that they see potential in it:

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2014/08/blog-post_14.html

Though I think some changes should be involved, such as changing the engine, gears and parts to be similar in spares/parts commonality to that of the Boomerang wheeled platform. Some people where complaining that the ATOM IFV sits to high giving it a larger profile, and while it's true it also has superior mine protection due to the higher profile, and APS (Active Protection System) plus PPS (Passive Protection System) should be able to make up for the higher profile. Personally I think ATOM IFV does have a place in Russia with some modifications to make the internal running parts to have commonality with the Boomerang platform, the MVD (The Ministry of Internal Affairs) could make good use of it in Dagestan.

That is great to hear! I think most people were bummed that it was half French, but now that it will be indigenous it has potential. Even more so if it shares the Boomerang platform, or at least one related to it.

I completely agree... The more commonality the better, as long as the parts themselves are good, and I know they won't!

That is my only gripe about, the higher stance. However, as you said, protection systems should make up for it.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:26 am

I didn't even know a new APC system was being worked on... Embarassed

Hopefully it will be properly utilized, because I feel like Arena wasn't utilized at all.

This new system, plus Armata's new armor, plus the "relict" ERA are going to make a heck of a combo! - This is somewhat unrelated, but do any of you know if the EMT-7 system or similar are going to be on future vehicles? It seems like a good asset, but I haven't found much on it...
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 am

Personally I think ATOM IFV does have a place in Russia

With Boomerang platform - I think no.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:51 am

It is good to not have all your eggs in one basket, and the ATOM is "another basket"... - Yes, I know that saying is overused.
    GarryB
    GarryB

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle Empty ATOM IFV photo

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 am

ATOM is a single vehicle... Boomerang is a family of vehicle types.

I rather suspect ATOM might compliment BTR-80s in the export market where the ATOM will be the top of the line vehicle while BTR-80s and BTR-82s will be the budget models.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 am

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10612571_654128038028079_3562616416988176196_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10649473_654128691361347_1699167000648940949_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10636278_654127971361419_1065558210265922498_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 1620780_654127954694754_3985538782127413198_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10577210_653173041456912_1183552108832248847_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10609547_653172984790251_269964526155392908_n

ATOM Infantry Fighting Vehicle 10635786_653172701456946_7277643403725597769_n
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:01 am

The Atom's turret looks nice and small, the 57 mm gun looks huge in comparison...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am