Saudi Arabia negotiating purchasing more arms from Russia

soldieroffortune
    Corporal
    Corporal

Saudi Arabia negotiating purchasing more arms from Russia

Post  soldieroffortune on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 am

According to this article in Izvestia:

http://www.izvestia.ru/news/news213197

Saudi Arabia and Russia are negotiating new arms deals. In particular, Saudi Arabia is interested in buying the newest Russian anti-aircraft/missiles complex S-400.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Re: Saudi Arabia negotiating purchasing more arms from Russia

Post  Vladimir79 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:13 am

Don't forget to translate it...

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating the purchase of Russian weapons

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating with Moscow for the purchase of Russian military equipment. "Competition in this market is very high, and we are on the new players, so for details of our talks, I omit. I can only say that the Russian weapons may take place in the Saudi arsenal," - noted the deputy director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Constantine Biryulin.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia in the procurement of arms and military equipment focused solely on the Western partners, especially the United States. After lengthy visits Russia Saudi military delegation in February and March 2007 memorandum of understanding was signed between the Kingdom and Moscow. In October of that year, French media reported that Saudi Arabia has signed an agreement for the purchase of more than 150 Russian MI-35 (for NATO - Hind) and Mi-17 (Hip). However, until this information has not officially confirmed. In July, there have been reports of negotiations between Russia and Saudi Arabia on the purchase of air defense S-400

soldieroffortune
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  soldieroffortune on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am

[quote="Vladimir79"]Don't forget to translate it...

[quote]

I've a question: Should I also translate the articles (or parts thereof) that I use as references and don't quote? Say, I submit a post and list my references in the end, some of which may not be in English, - is it allowed? Please clarify. Thanks.

crod
    Private
    Private

Post  crod on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:17 am

Vladimir79 wrote:Don't forget to translate it...

Saudi Arabia has been negotiating with Moscow for the purchase of Russian military equipment. "Competition in this market is very high, and we are on the new players, so for details of our talks, I omit. I can only say that the Russian weapons may take place in the Saudi arsenal," - noted the deputy director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Constantine Biryulin.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia in the procurement of arms and military equipment focused solely on the Western partners, especially the United States. After lengthy visits Russia Saudi military delegation in February and March 2007 memorandum of understanding was signed between the Kingdom and Moscow. In October of that year, French media reported that Saudi Arabia has signed an agreement for the purchase of more than 150 Russian MI-35 (for NATO - Hind) and Mi-17 (Hip). However, until this information has not officially confirmed. In July, there have been reports of negotiations between Russia and Saudi Arabia on the purchase of air defense S-400

150 Mig-35s??? wtf? that'll make them the most powerful airforce in the region wont it? and if they get their hands on the s-400 surely that's a regional power game changer?

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

soldieroffortune wrote:
    I've a question: Should I also translate the articles (or parts thereof) that I use as references and don't quote? Say, I submit a post and list my references in the end, some of which may not be in English, - is it allowed? Please clarify. Thanks.

Nah... but if you have something you want people to read, translate it.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 pm

crod wrote:

150 Mig-35s??? wtf? that'll make them the most powerful airforce in the region wont it? and if they get their hands on the s-400 surely that's a regional power game changer?

Not migs, Hinds (mi-35 hind). Those vehicles are monsters and could provide a long range attack (Longbow style). As for the S-400, it would surely make Saudi Arabia a no fly zone for Stealth, and UCAV's!

soldieroffortune
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  soldieroffortune on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 pm

crod wrote:

Not MiG-35, but Mi-35, please recall that Mi-35 is the export version of the Mi-24 helicopter. Most powerful Air Force in the region is still that of Israel.

crod
    Private
    Private

Post  crod on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 am

ah! my apologies folks, should have a little more prudent with my reading! i thougt 150 mig-35s was huge Embarassed

Turk1
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Turk1 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Russia will not sell all those weapons to Saudis. Just Mi-17. They are too close to USA.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Turk1 wrote:Russia will not sell all those weapons to Saudis. Just Mi-17. They are too close to USA.

They will sell export version of whatever.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm