Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Future russian aircraft carriers.

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Re: Future russian aircraft carriers.

Post  Project Canada on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm

I think the new Zvezda shipyard in Vladivostok has more potential than the previous USSR shipyard Nikolayev since Zvezda is facing open sea, while ships built in Nikolayev will have to go through the bosporus strait, which could be restricted by the Turks.

BTW why didn't they come up with building a huge shipyard in the Arkengelsk region that can build Aircraft carriers? Is it because of the climate? Its in open sea too, unlike in the baltics and black sea

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  hoom on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Severodvinsk...

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 pm

hoom wrote:Severodvinsk...

Im sorry, i forgot to mention, however my impression is that the shipyard there is mostly for sub construction. Maybe it can be expanded to accommodate construction of large surface ships as well

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Project Canada wrote:
    hoom wrote:Severodvinsk...

Im sorry, i forgot to mention, however my impression is that the shipyard there is mostly for sub construction. Maybe it can be expanded to accommodate  construction  of large surface ships as well

It lacks capable dockyard cranes to begin with.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am

There is no point in building Carriers now... they need more modern smaller vessels to operate with the current carrier, and of course they need support vessels and a world wide network of foreign friendly bases to "visit" too.

I suspect a production start date of 2022-2023 with operational capability 2030 or so for the first new carrier and 2034 for the second.

I would hope they plan a drastic upgrade of the K between now and 2022 that would include a nuclear power plant and complete upgrade of sensors and weapons and perhaps a small simple EM cat to allow a heavier AWACS aircraft to operate from the carrier.

In mid 2020s an upgrade of aircraft to add PAK FA in a naval version.

As I said elsewhere I would add UKSK capability because that adds supersonic and later hypersonic anti ship and land attack cruise missile capability and anti sub capability too...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

TheRealist
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  TheRealist on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I am really interested in this particular topic, especially the new aircraft carrier and the shipbuilding facilities that may eventually construct these vessels.

In my own view I do believe that Zvezda Shipyard is the potential candidate for the future aircraft carrier production facility.

As shown:

TVERKI

As shown they have already installed in the first stage of the construction two goliath type cranes and they did announce another type of goliath type crane that has a lifting capacity of 1,200 tons. As these cranes are installed during the first phase of construction of the shipyard it would seem that these are of a smaller capacity but this is just the first phase, the installation of the 1,200 ton capacity crane will be installed in the second phase as mention by Igor Sechin.

Later, the President was able to personally verify this – he inspected the area of installation work of the complex, where a few days ago was delivered of modern specialized cranes with lifting capacity of 320 tons. Moreover, these impressive units is only a part of a joint contract with plant with Chinese partners. In the near future on the «Star» appears, tap the type of «Goliath», lifting capacity 1200 ton, it’s almost 3 Boeing-747. The word «unique» here is not for effect – such cranes in Russia never imported and are not exploited.

I watched in Sdelanounas the installation of these cranes.

Also during President Putin's visit to the Zvezda Shipyard three weeks ago you can notice the presence of Deputy Minister of Defence Yuriy Borisov and Rogozin is also present which adds to my speculation of the Zvezda Shipyards potential role in the naval shipbuilding program.

Given also the sheer dimension of the dry dock which is 114 x 14 x 485, one would assume that it will cater to large naval orders in the future.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 pm

A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

Interesting times ahead, if Russians get serious about this. Lets hope a new Nikolayev will emerge soon russia

Singular_trafo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Singular_trafo on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:26 pm

KiloGolf wrote:A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

Interesting times ahead, if Russians get serious about this. Lets hope a new Nikolayev will emerge soon russia

The crane and the dock trivial and small cost of the whole project.

The plant that make from the sheets modules is the most important.

The shipyard that managed to make Tajfun submarine can make without any trouble a supercarrier, with minor modifications.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Singular_trafo wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

The shipyard that managed to make Tajfun submarine can make without any trouble a supercarrier, with minor modifications.

I'll venture to say that steel bought and processed in the far East is cheaper than Europe. So Zvezda is positioned very well in that regard. I have no idea what the Russian industry in the region is like, but they could fill the gaps by getting some modules built in Korea and/or China.

Singular_trafo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Singular_trafo on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    Singular_trafo wrote:

I'll venture to say that steel bought and processed in the far East is cheaper than Europe. So Zvezda is positioned very well in that regard. I have no idea what the Russian industry in the region is like, but they could fill the gaps by getting some modules built in Korea and/or China.

Out of question.

You can't build warship modules in antoher country.

You need to make them there.

And the cost of the steel irrelevant, the hours that you need to make them is the most important.

Singular_trafo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Singular_trafo on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:17 am

GarryB wrote:There is no point in building Carriers now... they need more modern smaller vessels to operate with the current carrier, and of course they need support vessels and a world wide network of foreign friendly bases to "visit" too.

I suspect a production start date of 2022-2023 with operational capability 2030 or so for the first new carrier and 2034 for the second.

I would hope they plan a drastic upgrade of the K between now and 2022 that would include a nuclear power plant and complete upgrade of sensors and weapons and perhaps a small simple EM cat to allow a heavier AWACS aircraft to operate from the carrier.

In mid 2020s an upgrade of aircraft to add PAK FA in a naval version.

As I said elsewhere I would add UKSK capability because that adds supersonic and later hypersonic anti ship and land attack cruise missile capability and anti sub capability too...

From russia standpoint it is irrelevant if China, _India or Russia build carriers.

All of the hold up the US military force, and grinding it into useless pieces, if they try to cover the whol eworld.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:04 pm

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 pm