Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+70
ludovicense
Sprut-B
Podlodka77
Krepost
Belisarius
Rodion_Romanovic
wilhelm
Robert.V
Dr.Snufflebug
caveat emptor
Broski
Gazputin
thegopnik
andalusia
Lennox
Daniel_Admassu
Mir
ALAMO
limb
Russian_Patriot_
lancelot
Backman
Kiko
LMFS
Scorpius
PhSt
dino00
marat
miketheterrible
Dima
Hole
PapaDragon
KiloGolf
Singular_Transform
JohninMK
Singular_trafo
Zivo
william.boutros
Book.
KoTeMoRe
Project Canada
Rmf
mutantsushi
Prince Darling
Svyatoslavich
higurashihougi
eehnie
Neutrality
macedonian
George1
flamming_python
Vann7
AbsoluteZero
kvs
GarryB
Werewolf
Mike E
sepheronx
KomissarBojanchev
Firebird
magnumcromagnon
gaurav
TheArmenian
AlfaT8
Viktor
Regular
Cyberspec
TR1
Austin
Sujoy
74 posters

Russian Auto Industry

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Russian Auto Industry Empty Russian Auto Industry

Post  Sujoy Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Prospective New Car for Russian VIPs

07 Lada 21014 designed in Kaluga

Russian Auto Industry Car-4610
    Austin

Russian Auto Industry Empty Re: Russian Auto Industry

Post  Austin Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Looks Stylish but i will take the retro look Putin's ZIL Laughing
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Sujoy wrote:Prospective New Car for Russian VIPs

Russian Auto Industry Car-4610

That is the ugliest POS I have ever seen.

Looks like pimped out Lada's I see driven by 20 something year olds.

http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/11/14/how_to_turn_a_used_russian_car_into_a_work_of_art_20079.html

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:56 am

Sujoy wrote:Prospective New Car for Russian VIPs

Looks good...but are you saying they're gonna ride in pimped out Lada's ?

BTW, I didn't realise pimped out cars was so popular in Russia.

Back in the 1980's when we lived overseas for a few years, my old man bought a brand new Lada 2105 (his pride and joy). It was a boxy looking thing made out of solid metal panels and pretty reliable...it worked well even in -20 deg C. Soon after getting my driver's licence, me and a couple of mates took the Lada for a spin. I was fuking around too much and lost control of the car, flew over a ditch at close to 100km/h and smashed hard into a stone fence. The car was mangled pretty badly but none of us had any injuries. The local panel beater fixed it up for us for a discount price and thus saved me from getting killed by my old man Very Happy....anyway the point is, I doubt I would have survived a similar crash in one of these modern plastic wonders

The Lada 2105 in all it's glory Cool (our one was white though)

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 am

Really?

You think those Lada's would pass any modern safety test?
    The damage that a modern car would take would cost thousands more, but that's the price of safety.

In fact there are videos of Russian Top Gear or some other show testing Ladas for safety on dumies, the results are scary.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 am

Cyberspec wrote:
    Looks good...but are you saying they're gonna ride in pimped out Lada's ?

You might not see them in Moscow or St.Petersburg but in other smaller urban centers there is a possibility . The Kremlin hasn't officially sanctioned the purchase of these cars but from what I hear from Rossiya Gazzeta's India office is that local politicians are being encouraged to embrace Russian models. A number of local "car clubs" in Russia are therefore presenting their ideas .

Cyberspec wrote:BTW, I didn't realise pimped out cars was so popular in Russia.
    I would imagine as much since cars in Russia are about status, personality and self-expression. I do hope however that the Russian automobile industry can make a comeback . Here in India , foreign cars used to be popular but these days Indian cars are equally popular .

BTW - Good video . Appreciate you sharing it .

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 am

TR1 wrote:In fact there are videos of Top Gear

I'm telling you what I experienced personally. Judging by your comments, I was going to ask you whether your a fan of 'Top Gear'....now I know.

I still drive a 1987 Holden VL and although I've come close to changing to a newer car I've always changed my mind. It's done over 600 000 km (don't know exact figure since the gauge doesn't work properly) and it's still going. Show me a new car that will last that long and I'll trade in my VL. Obviously it's showing it's age now but I just change the parts that stop working and keep going. One of the main benefits is that most speeding cameras can't get me. The tow bar covers one of the letters because the rego plate is low. The newer cars have the rego plates higher up to avoid this loophole..
    Regular
    Regular

Russian Auto Industry Empty Russian Car Industry

Post  Regular Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Does anyone of You had experience with post soviet cars made in Russia?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Yes. Cheap, unsafe crap.

You can fix them with a wrench though.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm

AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Impressive, now when will it enter production?Wink 
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:05 am

AlfaT8 wrote:Impressive, now when will it enter production?Wink 

Do you think of buying some? Very Happy 
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:59 am

Viktor wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:Impressive, now when will it enter production?Wink 

Do you think of buying some? Very Happy 
    Love to, if i had the cash. Embarassed 
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 pm

X-Ray is a concept car and it's designed by same person who worked with Volvo XC60 concept. Looks good like most of his designs. I don't like proportions, it doesn't look practical to have such narrow side windows. Interior of the car is very well made and I like it a lot. Not sure about what is inside in the car, hows the chassis, engine or maybe it's an empty shell?
    But what happened to Lada C or C Cross?

Does Lada have resources and capabilities to put these concept cars in to production?
    What engines they can house? Does Lada have diesel engines, naturally aspires high performance engines?
    I think VAZ 2107 semyorachka was being made till last year, can't imagine production lines spewing something like that now. And Lada Kalina is one of the worst European cars in it's segment.
    My friend bought one from Germany for 1100 euros (!!!) 2009 year, less than 50000 km was covered. Quality of a car was so pathetic, not even KIA or DACIA models are so terrible.
    I only had chance to own Gazelle car and it was crap even if it was brand new, when warranty was over we sold them for nothing and decided to go with older but more reliable Ford Transit vans.

But is there other Russian car makers I don't know ? What happened to Moskvitch?
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Regular wrote:X-Ray is a concept car and it's designed by same person who worked with Volvo XC60 concept. Looks good like most of his designs. I don't like proportions, it doesn't look practical to have such narrow side windows. Interior of the car is very well made and I like it a lot. Not sure about what is inside in the car, hows the chassis, engine or maybe it's an empty shell?
    Who know, but overall good looking car at least.

Regular wrote:But what happened to Lada C or C Cross?
    I remember the Lada C in Geneva 2007, don't know what happened, but according to wiki they never left the experimental/concept stage.
    Lada
    Russian Auto Industry Select10

Regular wrote:
    Does Lada have resources and capabilities to put these concept cars in to production?
    Considering what happened to the C and C Kross, i am gonna go with.... no.

Regular wrote:What engines they can house? Does Lada have diesel engines, naturally aspires high performance engines?
    Who Knows??

Regular wrote:I think VAZ 2107 semyorachka was being made till last year, can't imagine production lines spewing something like that now. And Lada Kalina is one of the worst European cars in it's segment.
    My friend bought one from Germany for 1100 euros (!!!) 2009 year, less than 50000 km was covered. Quality of a car was so pathetic, not even KIA or DACIA models are so terrible.
    I only had chance to own Gazelle car and it was crap even if it was brand new, when warranty was over we sold them for nothing and decided to go with older but more reliable Ford Transit vans.
    Been hearing stories like that for years its always the same, i cant understand why Lada makes sought great concept cars yet fails miserably to bring them to production and continues to produce what has been known throughout the world as some of the worst cars in vehicular history, if they don't shape up soon there not gonna last long.

Regular wrote:But is there other Russian car makers I don't know ? What happened to Moskvitch?
    Of course there are other car makers, there's Lada, GAZ, TagAZ, UAZ, kaMAZ and a new kid called Yo-Auto.
    And as for Moskvitch according to Wiki, The factory, which had been renamed to OAO Moskvitch (Moskvitch Joint Stock Company) in the early 1990s, filed for bankruptcy in 2002 and ceased production.
    Moskvitch
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 am

Current generation Ladas (Kalina 2, Granta etc) have nothing to do with their notorious predecessrs. For example the new Granta is based on Renault platform). The old boxy Fiat based models are no longer in production. Lada is in partnership with Renault-Nissan.

UAZ makes now the Patriot SUV which is in good demand.

The only other Russian car is the Aquila made by TagAZ. It just made it to the market. Tagaz used to make Hyundais and SsanYongs too under license. Now they also make Chinese designed cars.

GAZ makes now only trucks, vans, minibuses and buses. It aslo makes Volkswagens, Chevrolets and others under licence.
    There are other Russian manufacturers (like Avtotor and others) who make foreign cars under licence including BMWs and Audis.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Lada Granta is huge for Avtovaz as the Granta is a good selling automobile and out of most of avtovaz products, is a big success (Kalina being another one).  Hyundai Solaris being second best in Russia which is produced in St.Pete

http://eng.autostat.ru/news/view/8156/

Lada Granta and Largus sells quite well in the CIS countries, more specifically Ukraine and Kazakhstan.

From what I have heard from someone who owned a Lada Kalina in Europe, said that the European variant is far better quality build than Russian, simply because they are built cheaply in Russia to meet the lower end of the financial spectrum.

I may be wrong in this, but Avtovaz has been taken over by Renault/Nissan group as they own majority shares.

The TagAZ Aquila is a sports car/Sedan for the cheap, around $10,000 for one.  We will see as to how well it does by the end of the year as it really just started to go on sale this year.

http://eng.autostat.ru/news/view/7463/

UAZ seems to be doing quite well for themselves, with the Patriot being most popular.  Now some people claim (from what they saw of a parked Patriot) is rust, but that is common, especially if you do not take care of it, dents or breaks happen, and the non-galvanized portion of the metal is exposed.

Right now, the Russian automobiles do quite well within Russia and in the CIS countries, with some decent sales outside of that like in Europe (Avtovaz only has a 5% market of it, but that is better than none) and Latin America.  They are also big in producing models of other companies from various countries as well for domestic and abroad.

Only markets like India and China need to be touched, and I think Avtovaz and TagAZ might have a potential.  But unfortunately, China is heavily protected for domestic industries, and India already has a decent car brand by the name of Tata motors.

I don't hold high hopes for the X-Ray simply because I find most of the electric cars tend be either vaporware or are just garbage in general.  Usually, when they hit as well, they are too costly, while you can purchase a cheap gas automobile, and purchase gas for many years, than what a electric car costs.  As well, build quality tends to be in question as well.  It is a wait and see.  Maybe it may struck great for those within cities, and used as a city driving automobile.  Nothing else.

Edit:

On another note, my good friends father (rest his soul) used to have two ladas back in the 70's in Ontario. Man loved the cars even though they were a bitch to operate and were not the best quality of vehicles, but sure as hell easy to fix and was cheap.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Coming soon in the future: A new Russian car from a company owned by billionaire/politician/prtesidential candidate Prokhorov, The company name is Yo-Mobile. The vehicle has Hybrid propulsion, it is called Yo-Crossover.

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:01 am

TheArmenian wrote:Current generation Ladas (Kalina 2, Granta etc) have nothing to do with their notorious predecessrs. For example the new Granta is based on Renault platform).

I thought Granta is based on Kalina platform as it says on some links? And what Renault car it is based on? Logan perhaps.  Price for Lux is more than than 9000 euros (400000 roubles)  Who in the world will spent that kind of money, You can get 2012 Renault Megane with around 5000 miles on clock from dealership with different engines to choose from.

The old boxy Fiat based models are no longer in production. Lada is in partnership with Renault-Nissan.
    Well Samara is still being made.

Does it sell better than Renault(Dacia) Duster?  

The only other Russian car is the Aquila made by TagAZ. It just made it to the market.
    Just checked it out. Thanks! It really has resemblence Mitsubishi eclipse 3 gen. Only sad thing is the engine.

Tagaz used to make Hyundais and SsanYongs too under license. Now they also make Chinese designed cars.
    Aren't Chinese designs banned in Russia? They are well known to be road hazards, with quality that would make even old Lada look like a Jaguar.

GAZ makes now only trucks, vans, minibuses and buses. It aslo makes Volkswagens, Chevrolets and others under licence.
    Hope they will improve their products with new management.

There are other Russian manufacturers (like Avtotor and others) who make foreign cars under licence including BMWs and Audis.
    I've heard about luxury Audi and BMW being assembled in Russia, but not about being built from scratch.
    And
    Thanks for the info Armenian!
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26 am

On another note, my good friends father (rest his soul) used to have two ladas back in the 70's in Ontario.  Man loved the cars even though they were a bitch to operate and were not the best quality of vehicles, but sure as hell easy to fix and was cheap.
    Ladas I remember used to be easy to fix but so as most cars from these times. Audi Coupe, 80 and 100 series were simple as Lada cars only different they were far superior with all parameters. I never seen Lada going over 200000 miles on clock, but I had Audi with even more mileage and it was solid, but I'm talking about old block diesel almost old as me.
    Or BMW E30 can be example of how simple and easy design was. I owned countless driving and non driving ones, they can be butcher in day and it takes two weeks to rebuild a new one.
    Today cars are build to feed dealerships with their endless error codes, components that can only be replaced with special tools, like MB E63 and their super expensive wheel alignment. All those fancy emission reductions can go to hell, I want my car to be simple, but well made one. These kind of cars don't exist in Europe any more.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:03 am

My answers are highlighted in bold.

Regular wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:Current generation Ladas (Kalina 2, Granta etc) have nothing to do with their notorious predecessrs. For example the new Granta is based on Renault platform).

I thought Granta is based on Kalina platform as it says on some links? And what Renault car it is based on? Logan perhaps.  Price for Lux is more than than 9000 euros (400000 roubles)  Who in the world will spent that kind of money, You can get 2012 Renault Megane with around 5000 miles on clock from dealership with different engines to choose from.

Yes, Granta is based on the Renault Logan platform.
    Last month (June) over 17000 Grantas were sold in Russia. Someone is buying them
    Laughing 

The old boxy Fiat based models are no longer in production. Lada is in partnership with Renault-Nissan.
    Well Samara is still being made.

The front wheel drive Samara is not based on the rear drive Fiat. It is a different platform. Still it is an old one and will stop being produced soon.

Does it sell better than Renault(Dacia) Duster?

Apples to oranges comparison. Patriot is a full framed (chassis based) model with true 4x4 capability. Renault Duster is a crossover vehicle not really suitable for off-roading. 

Tagaz used to make Hyundais and SsanYongs too under license. Now they also make Chinese designed cars.
    Aren't Chinese designs banned in Russia? They are well known to be road hazards, with quality that would make even old Lada look like a Jaguar.

Not too long ago, the same was said about Korean cars and about Japanese cars before that.

I've heard about luxury Audi and BMW being assembled in Russia, but not about being built from scratch.
    And
    Thanks for the info Armenian!
    You're welcome. And yes, I also prefer my cars simple, but that is not the way the industry is going. Even Ladas and Renault Logans are following that technological trend to some extent cry  .
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:03 am

I don't hold high hopes for the X-Ray simply because I find most of the electric cars tend be either vaporware or are just garbage in general.
    This X-RAY concept looks to be great.

But where it is advertised that it is Electric driven..?I thought it was diesel/petrol..Cool 
    Does AutoVaz have plans to enter India? How much cost will X-RAY will be on the road..?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 pm

@ Regular: Read the article I submitted. Granta is one of the best sold cars in Russia, as well, it is a pretty good exporter to the CIS countries as well, with Ukraine and Kazakhstan buying them.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:12 pm

sepheronx wrote:@ Regular: Read the article I submitted.  Granta is one of the best sold cars in Russia, as well, it is a pretty good exporter to the CIS countries as well, with Ukraine and Kazakhstan buying them.
    Thanks for the link. But what makes it better made than other Lada cars? Still it has to have most of it's parts that were already shared between Kalina and other infamous models.
    I'm not considering buying Lada or any Russian car in particular.. Just wondering if there is any light in the industry.
    For me there is nothing to choose from, no proper sedan, no 7 seater, no cross-hatch, I'm not talking about engine options.
    I hate Russian TV boasting about how Granta is new gen car and how it's superior to inomarki. Romania, poorest country in the Europe have same looking car made in their Dacia warehouse, but with more options and arguably better looks.
    I don't see the reason why Russian car makers couldn't target people who have 20,000 - 50,000 Euros to spend on a new car. Market is quite hungry for this type of cars too.
    Lada could be easily transformed in to something like Skoda and it would redeem it's name.
    Skoda Auto is doing pretty good by being part of VW concern while having unique models based on VW/AUDI concern components and they are Eastern Europeans. Funny thing, I find quality of Skoda build cars better their owner VW. Octavia comes to mind being better than Passat.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 am

The new version of Kalina (Kalina 2) just reached the market.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm