Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Development and Infastructure Projects of Russia

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Development and Infastructure Projects of Russia

Post  George1 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Construction of Russian Section of Railway Bridge to China to Start in 2015

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Trutnev said that construction for the Russian section of the first railway bridge to cross the Amur river and connect the country with China will begin in late 2015.

KHABAROVSK (Russia) (Sputnik) – Construction will begin in late 2015 for the Russian section of the first railway bridge to cross the Amur river and connect the country with China, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Trutnev said Thursday.

"A decision was made to finance this project at the expense of the Far East Development Fund and the Russian Direct Investment Fund. A government commission session took place, the work will begin next year," Trutnev told reporters.

He added that the construction of the Russian part of the bridge may take a year and a half.

A Russia-China intergovernmental agreement for construction of the railway bridge was signed in 2008.

China expects to finish the construction of its segment of the bridge by the end of 2015.

According to Chinese estimates, the new railway bridge over the Amur River would diminish the distance for shipments through China's Heilongjiang province to Russia.

Earlier reports suggest that, as of April 2015, China invested around 952 million yuan into the project, with total investment expected to be 2.64 billion yuan ($426 million).

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150813/1025697756.html#ixzz3ih2K3hNS

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Kuril Islands Development Program Provides Opportunities for Investors

Developing the Kuril Islands is very profitable, a Russian official told Sputnik.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The federal program for the development of Russia's Kuril Islands for the period between 2016 and 2025 includes opportunities for domestic and foreign investors, the deputy minister for the Development of the Russian Far East, Artur Niyazmetov, told Sputnik on Wednesday.

On Monday, the Russian government adopted the development program with an overall budget of over 60 billion rubles ($940 million) allocated for the islands. The program includes 9.3 billion rubles of foreign investment.

"The ministry [for the Development of the Russian Far East] is open to any proposals, including from the investors from the Asian-Pacific region," Niyazmetov said.

The federal development program stipulates the construction of 123,000 square meters (1.3 million square feet) of housing and social infrastructure, the modernization of transport systems and the expansion of telecommunications.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/business/20150812/1025669516.html#ixzz3ih7dTX6y

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    When were you in Moskva, Maxim? I went to Russia for two weeks in June. I managed to spend the last day at the Army-2015 expo in Kubinka because my relatives have a dacha there. I was thoroughly impressed with the improvements in infrastructure that I saw in Moskva and in Nizhniy Novogorod as well. I have been visiting Russia ever since the early 2000's when I was very young. The improvements over the years are nothing short of astounding and it will be interesting to watch the developments that will come on the near future especially with the World Cup coming.

And to all talking about the R1 tram. No, it is not over-engineered. While it does look very pretty on the outside, the internals of the tram are nothing revolutionary but rather evolutionary.

I was in Russia all of July and a week of August. Mostly on the black sea though. Stayed in Moscow a bit on my way in and the way back.

In a related topic: I took the overnight train up from Novorossiysk to Moscow (#30 if anybody cares), which was also my first ever long train ride (>4hr), here's my thoughts...
    The ride was surprisingly awesome, the #30 route is the shortest of the available trains (22h total vs 1d 12h for the longest) and is a so-called "firmenniy" train so the quality is supposed to be better than average.
    I rode in a 4 person coupe. The wagons all had aircon which was good but had a nasty habit of either working a bit too actively or a bit weakly. As long as you have a sweater and socks prepped, you'll be fine.
    The beds all had fresh linens and were surprisingly comfortable, I slept pretty well. The wagons themselves were amazingly quiet, you could barely hear the train move. In fact, the movement of the train itself was so smooth that most of the time I missed when we stopped at stations because the acceleration & deceleration was hardly noticeable.
    Toilets all had running water, plenty of paper towels&napkins and were cleaned during the trip. No problems there.
    The food was pretty pathetic, a yoghurt and grenola bar for dinner and some pasta(?)(had literally no taste at all) and a piece of nondescript meat for breakfast. That was it.
    Then again, if you come prepared with food of your own, you'll be more than fine. Each wagon has a hot water dispenser that I used for plenty of tea and doshirak, so I was quite well-fed and comfortable. If you care to spend money you can go order food in the restaurant car, which I didn't do.

The train rolls into Kazansky railway station which is probably the nicest in Moscow. It looks great on the inside and outside and is pretty easy to get to.

Price was around 5300 roubles, which is a bit steep (plane tickets were 7200), but in the peak of the season when air tickets are scarce and way more expensive it's a pretty good option.

Overall the trip really did away with some of the old stereotypes of Russian railways, sure there's still old non-firmenniy trains running around with terrible conditions, but if you care to look you'll find something that is more than tolerable.

One thing I have to say about roads. Moscow is now completely decked out with good roads, as for the provinces...
    I stayed in a resort town on the black sea and the roads were pretty much unchanged from 10 years ago. Even worse was the attitude of the drivers, fucking knuckleheads all around, especially the ones from the caucasus. Cops stand nearby not giving a single fuck. Frankly the regional government needs to get off its ass and do what they did in Moscow: Massive and actively enforced fines. It's quite a turn of events when the drivers in Moscow are kinder and gentler than in the rest of the country.

Also as a side-note. The all-access transit cards that are now in use in moscow (metro/tram/bus/aeroexpress) are awesome. Cheap and very pleasant to use.

Last side-note: I was stopped by cops in a subway station to be a witness to an arrest. Myself being a kid of the 90s in the far-east I had a little bit of an internal freakout when it happened. I worried over nothing, the cops were super kind, apologized for the delay, thanked me for the help and gave me a free entrance to the metro after. For somebody who hadn't had any interaction with cops since the early 2000's the change was absolutely staggering. I'm not kidding when I say that I was amazed for a long time afterwards. Maybe it's just the capital, but holy hell was it a different experience than back in the day.

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:56 pm

New infrastructure to serve needs Ust-Luga port and new money squeezed out from Baltic neighbours pockets.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ust-Luga

http://periskop.livejournal.com/1444839.html

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Here is a example of math calculations. How many trains the main track can support. Or best said at what time delay the trains can be on main tracks. Divide the total time per day to number of trains you whish to put and you get the delay. Then is sincronize time of trains by conductors and station operators. Add 3 main tracks and numbers of trains are multiplied and distance of time between trains is less.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:39 pm

You all will know for sure that west say that all in forums like this is a lie. Personally i know that the internet...well can inform but disiform too...and a picture can be full proof.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:41 pm

The overall impressions says a lot in my opinion. And must read what people say

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Russia to build $26,2 mln tourism cluster on Black Sea

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 pm

"East, West and Russia - who is really behind in the technology race?"

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/08/east-west-and-russia-who-is-really.html

higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  higurashihougi on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    "East, West and Russia - who is really behind in the technology race?"

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/08/east-west-and-russia-who-is-really.html

Some more examples

U.S. H-bomb still needs tritium to ignite the explosion. Russian H-bomb no longer need tritium. And Tsar Bomba somehow is the sign for Russian dominance in nuclear weapon.

Biggest titanium producer is of Russia. Most of titanium products in the world is made in factory in Russia, under the hand of Russian workers and engineers. Titanium valley is in Russia.

MiG-25 became the standard for the development of Su-27...37, MiG-29/35, F-14/15/18.

Soyuz, Proton and RD-180 send most of Western satellites and spaceship into the sky. Most basic parts of ISS is made by Russia.

Russia is the pioneer in smoothbore cannon, autoloader, composite armour, and today is unmanned turret.

Russia is the pioneer in oil drilling technology and today it is still amongst the best in oil technology.

higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  higurashihougi on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 am

Russian ramjet

http://sputniknews.com/military/20150823/1026084410/russia-creates-breakthrough-jet-engine.html

Breakneck Speed: New Russian Jet Engine to Propel Aircraft to 9,000 Kmh

A new Russian hypersonic engine capable of propelling an aircraft up to 9,000 kmh will be unveiled during the MAKS-2015 air show in Zhukovsky, outside Moscow.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 am

higurashihougi wrote:Russian ramjet

http://sputniknews.com/military/20150823/1026084410/russia-creates-breakthrough-jet-engine.html

Breakneck Speed: New Russian Jet Engine to Propel Aircraft to 9,000 Kmh

A new Russian hypersonic engine capable of propelling an aircraft up to 9,000 kmh will be unveiled during the MAKS-2015 air show in Zhukovsky, outside Moscow.

But the "idiots" at Sputnik couldn't even do a proper photo for the piece. This only helps to muddy the perception of
    Russian technology.

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:32 am

Nice video , showing Moscow road & infrastructure developement launched by mayor Sergey Sobyanin

Resuts 2011-2015

- 400 km of new roads
    - 130 new road linked infrastructure (tunnels , bridges etc.)
    - 8 interchanges

http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150404/1020482641.html

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:17 am

Rostov on Don - Azov highway has been opened , cutting trip to just 20-25 minutes

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Lastochka High-Speed Train Launched Between St. Petersburg and Vyborg

Lastochka trains operate on Oktyabrskaya Railway along two routes: St. Petersburg-Veliky Novgorod-Bologoye and St. Petersburg-Petrozavodsk.

St. Petersburg (Sputnik) – The Lastochka high-speed train made its first journey from St. Petersburg to Vyborg on Wednesday.

The Lastochka electric train was designed by Germany’s Siemens on the Desiro platform for commuter operation on Russian railroads. Its maximum speed is 160 km. per hour and its operating temperature ranges from 40 C to minus 40 C. Russian Railways chose Lastochka trains, which run today in several regions, for transportation during the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi.

“The Lastochka trains are a breakthrough. They have raised passenger service to an entirely new level in terms of both speed and comfort,” Acting Governor of the Leningrad Region Alexander Drozdenko said at the ceremony of launching the commuter train.

He said that for 1.5-2 months the cost of a ticket on a Lastochka train will be the same as on its predecessor.

Head of the Oktyabrskaya Railway Oleg Valinsky said that experts are considering the possibility of launching Lastochka train service to Volkhov, Gatchina and Sosnovo.

Lastochka trains operate on Oktyabrskaya Railway along two routes: St. Petersburg-Veliky Novgorod-Bologoye and St. Petersburg-Petrozavodsk.

A number of Lastochka trains run by Russian Railways were manufactured by Siemens. Now Uralskiye Lokomotivy (a joint venture of the Sinara Group and Siemens) has started their production. The first Russian train was produced in May. In all, Russian Railways ordered 1,200 cars for Lastochka trains. The project provides for 80 percent localization by 2017, but the partners are already ahead of schedule.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20151016/1028646402/lastochka-train-leningrad-region.html#ixzz3oq2phFHs

Kimppis
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Kimppis on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 pm

I've been wondering... How bad is the Russian infrastructure overall in 2015? Because I keep hearing about this stereotype that Russian infrastructure is absolutely terrible (which is certainly not true by global standards/averages). Some statistics/comparisons? How much has it improved since... let's say 2005? I'd imagine it's quite a bit better. And you can certainly see articles (on this very page Very Happy) and official announcements stating how new roads are being built etc., but how is it really going to improve overall at this rate by 2025 or so?

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:30 pm

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Kimppis wrote:I've been wondering... How bad is the Russian infrastructure overall in 2015? Because I keep hearing about this stereotype that Russian infrastructure is absolutely terrible (which is certainly not true by global standards/averages). Some statistics/comparisons? How much has it improved since... let's say 2005? I'd imagine it's quite a bit better. And you can certainly see articles (on this very page Very Happy) and official announcements stating how new roads are being built etc., but how is it really going to improve overall at this rate by 2025 or so?

You keep hearing this from the hate-filled anti-Russian propaganda spigots in the western media.

See Austin's post of the Lastochka commuter train. It goes 160 km/h. We have nothing like this in
    Canada. The two main Canadian cities, Toronto and Montreal, are linked by a joint freight and passenger
    rail line where train speeds do not exceed 120 km/h. If they ran trains on dedicated passenger rails at
    150 km/hr it would take just over 3 hours to cover the distance. Instead it takes 4 hours plus time
    for stops. There isn't even a proper express train between the two cities. All trains make stops along
    the way.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 pm

kvs , Russian Fastest Train is Sapsan its top speed is 250 km/hr upgradable to 350 km/hr
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapsan

Sapsan set records for the fastest train in Russia on 2 May 2009, travelling at 281 km/h (175 mph)[7] and on 7 May 2009, travelling at 290 km/h (180 mph).

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Kimppis wrote:I've been wondering... How bad is the Russian infrastructure overall in 2015? Because I keep hearing about this stereotype that Russian infrastructure is absolutely terrible (which is certainly not true by global standards/averages). Some statistics/comparisons? How much has it improved since... let's say 2005? I'd imagine it's quite a bit better. And you can certainly see articles (on this very page Very Happy) and official announcements stating how new roads are being built etc., but how is it really going to improve overall at this rate by 2025 or so?

I honestly don't know how it is for the rest of Russia. Of course there are many projects and even some mega-projects on the way around Russia, but then other infrastructure might be left alone and just continue to age, only we wouldn't know about it. The only solution is to visit and see for yourself.

I can tell you about St. Petersburg though. So in the past 10-15 years or so we've had:
    - Construction of the Ring Road & dam system to alleviate traffic and flooding
    - Beautification of the centre for the 300-year old city anniversary celebrations
    - Construction of a big new airport terminal, reconstruction of the older ones
    - Ongoing construction of the Western Diameter (highway toll road to Finland and Moscow)
    - Construction of the Ust-Luga cargo port
    - High-speed Sapsan rail services to Finland and Moscow, new trains for both commuter and inter-city services, renovation of all railway stations in the city and construction of many smaller rural stops and platforms
    - Beautification of several municipal residential areas of the city (with mixed results depending on local authorities), construction of playgrounds, kindergardens, outdoor sports facilities, etc...
    - Slow process of renovations of old residential and general-use buildings in the city centre
    - Construction of a lot of housing (last year was the highest pace since 1987), office buildings, business complexes, shopping centres
    - Construction of a new Ice Palace stadium, ongoing construction of a new Football stadium
    - 1-2 new metro stations, renovation of a few others, ongoing construction of a new metro line and a couple more stations
    - Renovation and upkeep of almost all roads in the city, partial reconstruction of rural road network in proximity to the city
    - Considerable progress on alleviation of traffic jams; removal of many tram lines from the centre and introduction of new high-speed tram lines further from the centre, new junctions, bypasses, bridges constructed
    - Ongoing and constantly changing, never-ending reconstruction of a small island in the centre hosting several warehouse buildings dating back to Catherine the Great times
    - High-speed internet everywhere, fast food, coffee chains, restaurants too
    - Improved tourist infrastructure - more tours and sights, a lot of new hotels and hostels, more English language support and signs
    - Plans for the construction of an Airport Express train service/line, that never seem to materialize

Still need:
    - Beautification and better cleaning of residential areas, they still look fugly
    - Bicycle tracks and highways
    - Water taxis & buses
    - Some new or renovated schools, haven't seen one from the outside that doesn't look like a Soviet-style jumble of prefabricated concrete blocks
    - Increased pace of renovation of buildings in the city centre
    - Pollution reduction from truck traffic going right through the middle of the city to/from the port zones
    - Ferry terminal looks fugly
    - Reconstruction of the masses of Soviet-era housing blocks outside the city-centre (that most of the population live in), that are already 2 decades past their expiry date

Rmf
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Rmf on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:05 pm

one good way would be to use cng in cars ,compressed natural gas - methane which russia is no1 in reserves for- public transport ,buses ,and taxis, and better recycling technologies and culture - that can be much improved.
    i dont see bikes going strong its very cold for very long out there.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:01 pm

World’s first LNG-powered locomotive put into operation in Russia

"The plant has handed over to the Sverdlovsk railway a TEM19 shunting locomotive. This is the world’s first railway engine powered by liquefied natural gas," the press service said

BRYANSK, November 13. /TASS/. The world’s first LNG-powered railway locomotive has been put into operation in Russia, the press service of the Bryansk Machine-building Plant, the manufacturer of such engines, told TASS on Friday.

"The plant has handed over to the Sverdlovsk railway a TEM19 shunting locomotive. This is the world’s first railway engine powered by liquefied natural gas," the press service said.

NLG engines, according to the press service, will make it possible to reduce environmental burden and cut transportation costs. Thus, the new LNG locomotive will make it possible to save energy resources by 24% a year.

The Bryansk Machine-building Plant is Russia’s biggest manufacturer of shunting and mainline locomotives, freight railway cars of various types. It is incorporated into the Transmashholding corporation.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Russia’s Baltic Shipyard to commission power unit for world’s first floating NPP in 2016

This is the Russian industry’s serious contribution to the Arctic region development

ST. PETERSBURG, December 7. /TASS/. A floating power unit, which the Baltic Shipyard in northwest Russia is building, should be commissioned in September 2016, Vice-Premier Dmitry Rogozin said at a forum on the Arctic development on Monday.

The power unit is designed for the world’s first floating nuclear power plant (NPP) Russia is building, the vice-premier said.

"A floating power unit is under construction: this is unique innovation technology, which has evoked the interest of many countries, including the states far away from the Arctic region," the vice-premier said.

"We should commission the 600 MW power unit in September next year," Rogozin said.

This is the Russian industry’s serious contribution to the Arctic region development, the vice-premier added.

The Project 20870 Academician Lomonosov floating power unit is a non-self-propelled vessel with two KLT-40 nuclear reactors on its board and is designed to provide electric power for Arctic areas and desalinate sea water.

The power unit is expected to operate for a period of up to 40 years, given that its reactors are regularly re-charged every 2.5-3 years.

The floating power unit will be operated by the vessel’s constant crew of several dozen people.

The Academician Lomonosov floating power unit, which the Baltic Shipyard is building, is expected to operate in the town of Pevek in the northeastern Chukotka Autonomous District.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:19 pm

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/71580/

So Omsk company Irtysh and Chinese company are setting up JV for manufacturing TV's in Russia. This comes after Toshiba moved from the market (they didnt manufacture in Russia but had 10% of the market).  So this is good news too.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:57 pm

sepheronx wrote:http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/71580/

So Omsk company Irtysh and Chinese company are setting up JV for manufacturing TV's in Russia. This comes after Toshiba moved from the market (they didnt manufacture in Russia but had 10% of the market).  So this is good news too.

On the other thread the question about the impact of the ruble devaluation was raised. The above points to some of the fallout of this.
    High priced foreign goods vendors are squeezed out of the market and are replaced with cheaper domestic vendors. Nothing stops
    these domestic vendors from forming partnerships with foreign firms. I guess Toshiba couldn't be bothered with localizing production
    in Russia. Too bad for Toshiba.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:07 pm

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:07 pm