Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Development and Infastructure Projects of Russia

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Re: Development and Infastructure Projects of Russia

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:43 pm

whir wrote:
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean we have to build hideous ones.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:
    Any high-rise is better than those endless one-story gnome kingdoms that pollute the outskirts of most cities.

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:
    whir wrote:

But that is simply perception and nothing more. I prefer smaller buildings and not highrises.

Read an interesting article recently about rising interest in low-rise buildings (3-4 stories). They're mostly built a bit farther out from the city and suffer infrastructure issues (no schools, hospitals, good roads nearby). Even with that though they command something like a fifth of the market for new buildings.

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:35 am

Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    Maximmmm wrote:The people seem nicer (I swear I'm not kidding).
    Very intersting account. I hope you're right regarding people in Moscow, as this was the thing I most disliked there. Been there in summer 2011 - not that long ago. I speak some Russian, it sometimes takes me time to put the nouns and adjectives in their correct declensions, so I am a bit slow, and people showed no patience whatsoever towards me. English was completely useless, no one talked to me in this language: I even went to a restaurant close to Tretyakov gallery which had a sign saying that they speak English, but no, the waiter didn't, and again wasn't very helpful when I tried to speak Russian. Then I noticed that older people (50+) are way nicer and more willing to help, and started asking only them. And those who wore any kind of Soviet sign (pins, medals, banners, etc) were the nicest and most helpful of all. From this I infer that in the Soviet era people had better social skills, at least in Moscow.

This assessment is right on target. The recent generations of me, me, me and instant gratification behave exactly like
    you experienced. The older ones grew up in a different reference frame and actually give you the time of day.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:43 am

This is HUGE

Samara scientists work out the technology of "printing" aerospace components on a 3D printer
    Scientists of Samara state aerospace University (SSAU) began to develop the technologies for production of components for the aviation industry by "baking" them from the metal powder on a special 3D printer.
    "3D-laser sintering production of the first parts for small gas turbine engine — a combustor and a turbine.
    "Grown" on the printer metal parts are sent to bench test", — told reporters today in a press-service of the University.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:01 am

sepheronx wrote:This is HUGE

Samara scientists work out the technology of "printing" aerospace components on a 3D printer
    Scientists of Samara state aerospace University (SSAU) began to develop the technologies for production of components for the aviation industry by "baking" them from the metal powder on a special 3D printer.
    "3D-laser sintering production of the first parts for small gas turbine engine — a combustor and a turbine.
    "Grown" on the printer metal parts are sent to bench test", — told reporters today in a press-service of the University.

It is huge. So far 3D printing has been mostly about creating plastic parts. If they can control the metal crystal structure to
    assure the strength of the turbine blades then they have gone far. I can see a layered formation approach becoming superior
    to the casting process of the past. Pouring metal into a mold and having it cool has the problem of non-uniform cooling from the
    outside which creates micro-fractures and compromises the strength of the part.

What would be really cool is printing CPUs. The laser etching system being developed with Rusnano funding is in this category
    of technology.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:28 pm

kvs wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:This is HUGE

It is huge.  So far 3D printing has been mostly about creating plastic parts.  If they can control the metal crystal structure to
    assure the strength of the turbine blades then they have gone far.   I can see a layered formation approach becoming superior
    to the casting process of the past.   Pouring metal into a mold and having it cool has the problem of non-uniform cooling from the
    outside which creates micro-fractures and compromises the strength of the part.  

What would be really cool is printing CPUs.  The laser etching system being developed with Rusnano funding is in this category
    of technology.

Very interesting indeed, especially the speed of the process that is performed, because apparently according the article it only takes 48 hours to manufacture parts this (3-D printing) way, as opposed to the conventional method which takes 3-6 months. We should also take in to account a significant portion of the costs of the aerospace industry is the costs of labor over the time it takes to produce an aircraft. With the new 3-D printing process, it should insure a significantly shorter turn-around, and a largely automated process, so we could end up seeing a cost reduction of 50%.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Projects worth more than $8.3 billion to be discussed at Eastern Economic Forum

BEIJING, July 30. /TASS/. Investors and Russian authorities will discuss around 200 projects worth more than $8.3 billion in the framework of Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok in September, deputy minister for development of the Far East Maksim Shereykin said on Thursday.

"I don’t remember the exact sum, but it will be around something like 500 billion rubles [$8.37 billion at the current exchange rate]. This is the aggregate worth of these projects," Shereykin noted.

Investors will discuss on projects of different scale at the Eastern Economic Forum, he said. "There will be small projects from 200 million rubles [$3.35 million] and big projects, for instance a bridge across the Lena River which is worth several billion rubles," the deputy minister added.

More than 1,300 people have already registered to take part in the forum.

In May, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree to hold the annual Vladivostok Eastern Economic Forum on September 3-5. The decree states that the decision on the forum was made "in order to facilitate the accelerated development of the Far East and the expansion of international cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region.".

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Maybe off topic... dunno

New marine biology center and aquarium (big one) opened in Moscow:

Lots of pics (in comments too about one in Vladivostok)
    http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/65917/

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:52 am

Downvoted for marine biology center?

Wow, someone here really hates whales... cry lol1 Laughing

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:54 am

PapaDragon wrote:

Yep, that was weird. Just gave you a positive vote to compensate for this nonsense.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:16 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Yep, that was weird. Just gave you a positive vote to compensate for this nonsense.

Thanks dude! thumbsup

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 am

Russia’s ‘Batmobile’ Tram Outclasses Western Analogues – German Media

Russia has unveiled a new commuter tram that looks like something from a sci-fi flick and presents a serious challenge to its western counterparts, German media reported on Saturday.

“Russia has for decades been staking on trams and St. Petersburg and Moscow, along with Melbourne and Berlin, boast the longest tram lines around,” the German daily newspaper Die Welt wrote.

Dubbed as “Russian One” (or R1) this futuristic streetcar features LED cabin lighting, felt-covered sofas, wooden handrails, and sliding glass doors that operate by touchscreen.

The tram made its debut in the Chinese city of Qingdao last week, and is expected to hit the streets of China later this year.

With shiny black glass and an illuminated display it’s no wonder the locomotive has already been dubbed an “iPhone on rails” and the world’s first business-class tram.

Designed and built by Uralvagonzavod, a company that specializes in tanks, the tram is super high-tech, both inside and out, thanks to Wi-Fi, GPS, and LED mood lighting that changes according to the weather and time of day.

The cabin interiors – which can fit only 28 people per car and between 190 and 270 total – are designed to give standing passengers more space, while giving seated passengers more comfort.

Mass production of the R1 is scheduled for next year. It will be tested first in Yekaterinburg, then then in Omsk and, finally, in Moscow.

At around 1 million euros apiece, the R1 is twice cheaper compared to its European counterparts.

Alexei Maslov, the new tram’s designer, is sure that his brainchild will sit well with foreign commuters and will look great gliding elegantly down the streets of Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Melbourne.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150809/1025548922.html#ixzz3ieCqwXym

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:56 am

George1 wrote:Russia’s ‘Batmobile’ Tram Outclasses Western Analogues – German Media

Russia has unveiled a new commuter tram that looks like something from a sci-fi flick and presents a serious challenge to its western counterparts, German media reported on Saturday.

“Russia has for decades been staking on trams and St. Petersburg and Moscow, along with Melbourne and Berlin, boast the longest tram lines around,” the German daily newspaper Die Welt wrote.

Dubbed as “Russian One” (or R1) this futuristic streetcar features LED cabin lighting, felt-covered sofas, wooden handrails, and sliding glass doors that operate by touchscreen.

The tram made its debut in the Chinese city of Qingdao last week, and is expected to hit the streets of China later this year.

With shiny black glass and an illuminated display it’s no wonder the locomotive has already been dubbed an “iPhone on rails” and the world’s first business-class tram.

Designed and built by Uralvagonzavod, a company that specializes in tanks, the tram is super high-tech, both inside and out, thanks to Wi-Fi, GPS, and LED mood lighting that changes according to the weather and time of day.

The cabin interiors – which can fit only 28 people per car and between 190 and 270 total – are designed to give standing passengers more space, while giving seated passengers more comfort.

Mass production of the R1 is scheduled for next year. It will be tested first in Yekaterinburg, then then in Omsk and, finally, in  Moscow.

At around 1 million euros apiece, the R1 is twice cheaper compared to its European counterparts.

Alexei Maslov, the new tram’s designer, is sure that his brainchild will sit well with foreign commuters and will look great gliding elegantly down the streets of Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Melbourne.

Germans seem a year late to ze partayyyy.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:17 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    George1 wrote:Russia’s ‘Batmobile’ Tram Outclasses Western Analogues – German Media

Mass production of the R1 is scheduled for next year. It will be tested first in Yekaterinburg, then then in Omsk and, finally, in  Moscow.

Better late then never, I love the fact that UVZ's batmotram is half the cost of the average euro-tram, but easily several times the quality... lol1

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:37 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Better late then never, I love the fact that UVZ's batmotram is half the cost of the average euro-tram, but easily several times the quality... lol1

Actually it's 30% of Bombardiers Flexity Future. The cheapest offer is about 1.7 million euros a car from Poland (Pesa Jazz 134 - Contract with Warsaw TC at 55 million USD per 30 Trams). But again, the specs aren't anywhere near this. So that's a plus. As for several times the quality, it doesn't even need to be so. Even if the Trams are on par, that's already huge.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:40 am

All of NATO knows that Russia produces nothing and does not have the knowhow to produce anything. This is just Russian
    propaganda. NATO will soon give us all the truth of the matter.

I am eagerly waiting for this crusade of truth from NATO.

And I am sure I will be waiting decades from now.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:44 am

kvs wrote:All of NATO knows that Russia produces nothing and does not have the knowhow to produce anything.   This is just Russian
    propaganda.   NATO will soon give us all the truth of the matter.

Careful now, we don't want you to taste Freedom (without lube). Anyway, this was bound to happen, the only thing that worries me is the damn quality control. If that's covered, who cares if the car is overengineered. If the Chinese have contracted it, it might actually have a nice portfolio soon enough.

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    kvs wrote:All of NATO knows that Russia produces nothing and does not have the knowhow to produce anything.   This is just Russian

Careful now, we don't want you to taste Freedom (without lube). Anyway, this was bound to happen, the only thing that worries me is the damn quality control. If that's covered, who cares if the car is overengineered. If the Chinese have contracted it, it might actually have a nice portfolio soon enough.

Toronto's fancy new streetcars back in the 1980s had rather serious quality control issues. The only thing
    that matters is that they are fixable and in a reasonable time frame. If the cars fall apart after a couple of
    years of use, then they are crap. But I will dismiss this scenario out of hand. UVZ is not in the business of
    shaving mm of steel to save a few bucks at the expense of part integrity. The new rage in the west.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:57 am

kvs wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Toronto's fancy new streetcars back in the 1980s had rather serious quality control issues.   The only thing
    that matters is that they are fixable and in a reasonable time frame.   If the cars fall apart after a couple of
    years of use, then they are crap.   But I will dismiss this scenario out of hand.   UVZ is not in the business of
    shaving mm of steel to save a few bucks at the expense of part integrity.   The new rage in the west.

Same here, the difference in price is big, but doesn't seem to indicate the carboard trams and trains initially from China. As i said, there's good chance that the R1 is overengineered, rather than crap. So instead of shaving, the tram's rolling train might actually be tractor tough.

Interior pics...

http://blog.rcp.fr/?p=2299

Moar Pics. http://varlamov.ru/1112328.html

Maximmmm
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  Maximmmm on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:05 am

Speaking of public transport, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the wifi in transit. The moscow subway now has wifi in all trains and is testing it in some stations. It works really well, sadly there are shitty ads (weren't there last year), but they're tolerable. Now the plans are for wifi in every bus, tram and bus stop which is impressive as hell. The amount of wifi in public places such as parks is also incredible.

As for the busses/wagons themselves, although I've seen some of the newest tech around when I was in the city, a large proportion is still old soviet-built stock. It was actually very funny to see ancient trolleybusses with digitized bus number plates and new tourniquets for the bus cards.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:20 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Toronto's fancy new streetcars back in the 1980s had rather serious quality control issues.   The only thing
    that matters is that they are fixable and in a reasonable time frame.   If the cars fall apart after a couple of
    years of use, then they are crap.   But I will dismiss this scenario out of hand.   UVZ is not in the business of
    shaving mm of steel to save a few bucks at the expense of part integrity.   The new rage in the west.

Same here, the difference in price is big, but doesn't seem to indicate the carboard trams and trains initially from China. As i said, there's good chance that the R1 is overengineered, rather than crap. So instead of shaving, the tram's rolling train might actually be tractor tough.

Interior pics...

Well we are talking about UVZ here, they have a very good track record in quality control. If it's over-engineered as you say, all that means is that they can market less fancy and yet significantly cheaper versions of the R1 to poorer countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, etc.

Ivan the Colorado
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Ivan the Colorado on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 am

Maximmmm wrote:Speaking of public transport, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the wifi in transit. The moscow subway now has wifi in all trains and is testing it in some stations. It works really well, sadly there are shitty ads (weren't there last year), but they're tolerable. Now the plans are for wifi in every bus, tram and bus stop which is impressive as hell. The amount of wifi in public places such as parks is also incredible.

As for the busses/wagons themselves, although I've seen some of the newest tech around when I was in the city, a large proportion is still old soviet-built stock. It was actually very funny to see ancient trolleybusses with digitized bus number plates and new tourniquets for the bus cards.
    When were you in Moskva, Maxim? I went to Russia for two weeks in June. I managed to spend the last day at the Army-2015 expo in Kubinka because my relatives have a dacha there. I was thoroughly impressed with the improvements in infrastructure that I saw in Moskva and in Nizhniy Novogorod as well. I have been visiting Russia ever since the early 2000's when I was very young. The improvements over the years are nothing short of astounding and it will be interesting to watch the developments that will come on the near future especially with the World Cup coming.

And to all talking about the R1 tram. No, it is not over-engineered. While it does look very pretty on the outside, the internals of the tram are nothing revolutionary but rather evolutionary.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Interior pics...

Well we are talking about UVZ here, they have a very good track record in quality control. If it's over-engineered as you say, all that means is that they can market less fancy and yet significantly cheaper versions of the R1 to poorer countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, etc.

From the pictures the ergonomy looks pretty good and as I said, you can see the various bits of prototyping, including the seats, some finition details as well as the general ideas behind the car are sound, but still to be refined. On the other side the layout is typically on par with what you expect from Bombardier (which is basically the leading company for this). What I didn't failed to get also is the optimization of the commands and FoV for the driver. This also means that this could be governed and driven, it could well roll on it's own (depending on how it will be connected, ground line or air line).

Here Flexity Outlook in Brussels.

And this is R1. There's a 2.3 vs 1 million price tag battle here.

The felt seats can be changed overnight, with different materials and still cost the same I guess.

Very good Russian product from what I see, it would have to be tested thoroughly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:15 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 am