Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Share

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5391
    Points : 5640
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

    There are lot of informations about one country buys XXX Attack Helicopters from another country for the total costs of XX Mln/Bln USD.

    The problem is when comparing one information with the another how much one unit would cost there are diffrent costs.
    The point is often such reports wich are reffering to dealings don't provide often and reliable sources about what kind of deal and its transfers it's inclueding, like extra parts,engines,teaching personal,personal to teach maintenance for foreign mechanics, and so on.

    Also i don't believe that Attack Helicopters have a standard price per unit for every willing buyer.Since it's a question about buisness i think the Unit costs can variate from customer to customer.
    Not all cows giving exactly 2 liters milk, others give more so i think they will be milked when they could manage this.

    So the question is about the Unit costs for the developing country wich should have a moderate prize per unit.

    So here is the question to the community wich maybe has more reliable sources about the actual costs per Unit for all Attack Helicopters you could know.

    I mean there are sources wich claim that Mi-28N costs about 8 Mln USD per unit and other claims it costs 45 Mln USD (not ruble).

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    costs of aircraft

    Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm

    hi does anyone know the actual cost of MI-35 hind and MI-17 hip?? also if anyone wants to share any other costs of aircraft please post.

    Deep Throat
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 100
    Points : 132
    Join date : 2013-05-22

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  Deep Throat on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 pm

    Ballpark price for MI 35 this fiscal is $ 36 million

    Ballpark price for MI 17 this fiscal is $ 16 million

    It depends on which country is buying and how many have been ordered .

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  TR1 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:26 pm

    Mi-28 costs around 35 million and Ka-52 a bit more, so I am pretty skeptical that Mi-35 is similar in price.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:14 pm

    yeah i agree, thought the hind was about half that of a mi-28, about 18-20million maybe i am wrong.


    TR1 wrote:Mi-28 costs around 35 million and Ka-52 a bit more, so I am pretty skeptical that Mi-35 is similar in price.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Production and cost

    Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:31 pm

    Hi all, thanks for reading,

    Does anyone know the production and costs for Mig 29SMT or M2, and the MI-35????? any info would be great. I know the cost can vary any export costs or sales to Russian armed forces would be great. I personally think these two are a must have in any basic or advanced armed forces. Any info would be great.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:12 pm

    Well, Russian AF is buying 16 MiG-29SMT for 473 million dollars...but that was before the Ruble crashed. So who knows what the cost is now.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:22 pm

    TR1 wrote:Well, Russian AF is buying 16 MiG-29SMT for 473 million dollars...but that was before the Ruble crashed. So who knows what the cost is now.


    thanks for the info, thats pretty good price, 29.5 million per aircraft, for what i would call a decent aircraft. Smile

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15482
    Points : 16189
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:09 am

    It is no uber 5th gen super fighter, but it is fully multirole and you can buy a wide range of air to air and air to ground weapons for it.

    Attach something like Damocles or the new targeting pod they are developing for the MiG-35 and MiG-29M2 and you would have an aircraft every bit as good as any modern in service western aircraft.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:27 pm

    GarryB wrote:It is no uber 5th gen super fighter, but it is fully multirole and you can buy a wide range of air to air and air to ground weapons for it.

    Attach something like Damocles or the new targeting pod they are developing for the MiG-35 and MiG-29M2 and you would have an aircraft every bit as good as any modern in service western aircraft.

    nice Very Happy

    i think Russia should try and push sales of Mig-29SMT/M2, as well as SU-27, SU-24.
    Firstly the Mig-29SMT/M2 would be ideal to for airforces on a smaller budget, and once sold means that you effectively have them tied to maintainence, repair, and spare parts costs, as well as taking away potential sales opportunities from other countries, apart from China no other country can really offer such a decent aircraft at a decent price and you also have Russia's no nonsense approach to selling military equipment. I might wrong in saying this but even if china offered a cheaper aircraft i am still dubious to the quality of it.

    As for the Su-27 and Su-24, both upgraded to SM and M2 would still make them attractive for foreign buyers while it would give Russia a chance to replace them with Su-35 and Su-34.

    do you or anyone know whats likely to happen with MI-24's? i remember reading that most are coming to the end of their life. And it seems Russia are only replacing a small number with Mi-35, but i could be wrong, 11 Mi-35's have been delivered every year for the last 3 yrs to the Russian airforce.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5391
    Points : 5640
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:14 pm

    They won't take all Mi-24's out of service at least not within next 5 years, what they will do is modernize even more after the fleet park of Mi-28 has reached the wanted number, since the Mi-24 is an absolute unique helicopter they will need it for lot of different missions.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:19 pm

    Werewolf wrote:They won't take all Mi-24's out of service at least not within next 5 years, what they will do is modernize even more after the fleet park of Mi-28 has reached the wanted number, since the Mi-24 is an absolute unique helicopter they will need it for lot of different missions.

    Huh? I have not seen any plans whatsoever that they intend to modernize legacy Hinds- especially since new attack helos are arriving in large numbers.

    They bought 48 new Mi-35s in any case, so those will be around for a while.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5391
    Points : 5640
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 pm

    TR1 wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:They won't take all Mi-24's out of service at least not within next 5 years, what they will do is modernize even more after the fleet park of Mi-28 has reached the wanted number, since the Mi-24 is an absolute unique helicopter they will need it for lot of different missions.

    Huh? I have not seen any plans whatsoever that they intend to modernize legacy Hinds- especially since new attack helos are arriving in large numbers.

    They bought 48 new Mi-35s in any case, so those will be around for a while.

    Not now, but there also no other plans but to exchange the oldest versions and the oldest by fuselage Mi-24's that are currently stored with newly build Mi-35, but there are few hundreds that have a fairly young age and haven't reached their maximum lifespan yet and since they do not plan to withdraw all stored hinds i doubt they will just scrap them and stay with 130 Mi-24VM2's.

    d_taddei2
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 743
    Points : 903
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    reply

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:35 pm

    Werewolf wrote:They won't take all Mi-24's out of service at least not within next 5 years, what they will do is modernize even more after the fleet park of Mi-28 has reached the wanted number, since the Mi-24 is an absolute unique helicopter they will need it for lot of different missions.


    Of course the Mi-24 is a unique helicopter but surely it would be better to start to replace them with Mi-35's over the course of the next few years, then they could sell the Mi-24's to foreign markets who have already have Mi-24's The Mi-35 is so much better, unless of course they have plans in place to design and build and new helicopter with the similar unique design and are using the mi-35 as a stop gap to replace end of life Mi-24;s intil the design is complete. I hope in the future they don't scrap the unique design of the hind, my fear is they will go down the route of having dedicated attack heli's like Mi-28, armour scout Ka-52, and transports like Mi-17 and this will be done to stream line things. i hope if doesnt happen. The Hinds design is ideal in inserting special forces in hostile areas, the armour and fire power cant be match by transports such as Mi-17. And when its not being used as that you still have it as an attack heli/gunship. I personally think if your armed forces only had to have one type of attack heli then this should be the one as as it versatility is greater than Mi-28 etc.

    mack8
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 923
    Points : 983
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  mack8 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

    TR1 wrote:Well, Russian AF is buying 16 MiG-29SMT for 473 million dollars...but that was before the Ruble crashed. So who knows what the cost is now.

    Imo it's going to be much less, equivalent to say 350-400 million? They are priced in roubles not dollars, i doubt the rouble fall makes any significant difference, they are not importing anything to build those MiGs so i can't see why their price in roubles should change.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  TR1 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:30 pm

    mack8 wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Well, Russian AF is buying 16 MiG-29SMT for 473 million dollars...but that was before the Ruble crashed. So who knows what the cost is now.

    Imo it's going to be much less, equivalent to say 350-400 million? They are priced in roubles not dollars, i doubt the rouble fall makes any significant difference, they are not importing anything to build those MiGs so i can't see why their price in roubles should change.

    Because prices have changed in Russia. MiG can't just pay the exact same amount to its workers, or assume its production costs/subcontractor orders will stay identical in rubles.
    If they do not re-negotiate the price, they will lose money on this contract.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:43 pm

    TR1 wrote:
    mack8 wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Well, Russian AF is buying 16 MiG-29SMT for 473 million dollars...but that was before the Ruble crashed. So who knows what the cost is now.

    Imo it's going to be much less, equivalent to say 350-400 million? They are priced in roubles not dollars, i doubt the rouble fall makes any significant difference, they are not importing anything to build those MiGs so i can't see why their price in roubles should change.

    Because prices have changed in Russia. MiG can't just pay the exact same amount to its workers, or assume its production costs/subcontractor orders will stay identical in rubles.
    If they do not re-negotiate the price, they will lose money on this contract.

    It really all depdends. But that seems very cheap upgrade costs.

    That said, are there any further orders for more MiG-29 upgrades and new ones? Any word on MiG-35?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Production Costs of Aircrafts/Helicopters

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:45 am


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 am