Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian radar systems558

Russian radar systems

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Russian radar systems

Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:19 pm

I think we need only one such topic where we will discuss all sort of Russian radar systems.

Now Russian radar systems are spread among numerous other topics and the whole situation is not clear.

So to start I have one interesting topic that emerged today.

The Russian Defense Ministry will develop a network of beyond horizon radar with detection range of 3000 miles using as a basis the

OTH radars 'Konteyner' developed by Niidar.

Defense will create a new network-horizon radar

The Ministry of Defence of Russia began to create a network of radars that allow for airspace surveillance within a radius of three thousand miles away. According to the source , "Interfax" in the heart of the new radar systems will be "Container".

The interviewee noted that the network can be deployed at short notice and will conduct reconnaissance radar airspace, even outside of the border. Specific dates, number of stations, their location and other details were not disclosed.

The-horizon radar (OTH-Radar) "Container" developed research and production complex " SRI distance radio communication . " The principle of reflection of radio waves is determined (the order of ten meters), the length of the ionosphere , which allows to detect a target even when it is hidden behind the horizon. The first such station was built shortly after the Second World War, after which the technology has consistently improved; Duga "Container", according to some sources , is being tested in 2002 near the town of Gorodets. The system, based on similar Duga different from other network-horizon radar "Voronezh": used for the observation of objects in space and detecting

launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles. The main objective of "containers" to the identification of small-ship cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles.

LINK

LINK OF THE COMPANY

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian radar systems

Post  medo on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Podsolnuh is smaller OTH radar and as I know, some of them are already operational in Far East and in Black Sea.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 am

Question regarding PESA vs AESA

I know Irbis-E is a very powerful PESA, but besides its detection/tracking ranges, how does it fair compare to its competitors that are in AESA form?  As well, since it lacks LPI mode, is it not easier to track an aircraft using PESA vs one using AESA?  As well, due to AESA's better ECM capabilities, how did Russia improve Irbis-E's ECM capabilities over that of the Bars radar?

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am

sepheronx wrote:Question regarding PESA vs AESA

I know Irbis-E is a very powerful PESA, but besides its detection/tracking ranges, how does it fair compare to its competitors that are in AESA form?  As well, since it lacks LPI mode, is it not easier to track an aircraft using PESA vs one using AESA?  As well, due to AESA's better ECM capabilities, how did Russia improve Irbis-E's ECM capabilities over that of the Bars radar?

As far as I can remember Ирбис-Э (Irbis-Eh) is not a PESA; it is not an AESA either. ESAs do not consist of only PESAs and AESAs; there are many other types of ESA radar types.

Irbis-Eh can be classified as ~((3A + P)/4)ESA if a person insists on carrying on from a PESA/AESA type of terminology! As far as I can remember, it is semiactive in transmit and active on receive.

In relation to LPI-capability and ECM resistance, an Irbis-Eh-type radar is indistinguishable from an AESA type.

Academically speaking, one of the thing that has the potential of distinguishing a run-of-the-mill AESA from an Irbis-Eh-type radar (not necessarily an Irbis-Eh though) is the potential reliability aspects related to the lifetime of the transmitter TWT(s).

I should also mention that an Irbis-Eh-type radar has potentially also advantages over a run-of the-mill AESA in certain areas.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:00 am

New radar sets deployed although it is not clear which type and how many.

Up to 30 new radar sets should be delivered by the end of this year.

In the Western Military District in the air defense system on alert have taken up new radar

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 pm

I think russian moD will buy a lot of new radars for all military districts.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 pm

96L6 Lira radar 

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 pm

You prempted me by like 30 seconds.Damn you Victor!

The desert paint is certainly interesting. Maybe an export brand new 96L6....

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 pm

TR1 wrote:You prempted me by like 30 seconds.Damn you Victor!

CoolVery Happy

TR1 wrote:The desert paint is certainly interesting. Maybe an export brand new 96L6....

Was thinking the same. Perhaps Algeria? 

Russia now adds one 96L6 per battery to increase flexibility in case 64N6 gets destroyed for whatever reason.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Wait I thought 96L6 was the "standard" search radar, and 64N6 was the additional bonus?

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 am

Ooops nevermind.

Mixed up 96L6 and 92N6.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 pm

And as many times before we can only guess what types might those be.

Anyway 4 new ones.

The latest air defense station, which will protect Moscow, entered service

LINK

SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  SOC on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Have they deployed Rezonans?

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:05 pm

According to RT, 4 new radar sets deployed around Moscow seem to by Lira 96L6

Moscow beefs up air defense with 4 new all-altitude radar stations

SOC wrote:Have they deployed Rezonans?

As Im aware those are still in the VKO. It could be that some kind of modernization was applied to them to increase the range or number of targets processed.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:17 am

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/35799/

Actually they didn't say which radar they got, but photos on news show 96L6 radar.

Now, here is interesting question. If they actually got 96L6 radars, will they be part of S-400 battalions or will be independent early warning radars?

Current date/time is Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 am