Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Russia set to restore radar shield on western borders in 2010

Post  Russian Patriot on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 am

Russia set to restore radar shield on western borders in 2010

RIA Novosti

15/01/201004:23

MOSCOW, January 15 (RIA Novosti) - Russia will restore the complete radar coverage of its western borders when a new radar facility in the southern town of Armavir becomes fully operational by mid-2010, the Space Forces commander said.

The Armavir radar will be the second facility, after the Lekhtusi complex in the Leningrad Region, to close a gap in radar coverage on Russia's western borders after the closure of radar sites in Skrunda (Latvia) in late 1998 and recently in Mukachevo and Sevastopol, in western Ukraine.

"The facilities in Armavir and Lekhtusi will ensure the complete radar coverage on the relevant directions that could pose a missile threat," Maj. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko told reporters in Moscow.

The general later clarified that the new Voronezh-DM class radars would monitor missile trajectories and probable directions for a missile attack in northwestern and southwestern Russia.

With an effective range of 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) the Voronezh class radar has capabilities similar to its predecessors, the Dnepr and Daryal, which are currently deployed by Russia in Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan, but uses less energy and is more environmentally friendly.

The Lekhtusi missile early warning radar outside St. Petersburg became operational in December last year, while the Armavir facility is still in the testing phase.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100115-rianovosti03.htm

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

New recce vehicle?

Post  medo on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:30 am

I find pictures of this new recce vehicle equipped with with one of Credo type radar and EO system. Is there any more informationsabout this vehicle? It have army license plates, so this one is from army units.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Radar systems

Post  GarryB on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 am

Looks like the base vehicle is the same as used for transportation of the Tochka tactical ballistic missiles (9P129).

Its internal capacity to store ballistic missiles should make plenty of room for the folding arm.

The basic vehicle should have rather good cross country performance and be fully amphibious, but otherwise I know little about this new application for the vehicle.

The Credo-1E system has a rather different appearance and is a radar system while this system seems to have an optical ball turret.
    The Credo system has variants mounted on modified BTR chassis and MT-LB chassis but I have never seen it on the 9P129 before.

The large square box below the ball turret probably contains mechanical stabilisation equipment and probably a gyro and likely does not contain a radar, so I would think this is not a Credo system at all... in the sense that Credo is a radar system, like Fara.

The recon model of the BMP-1 and the BMD-1 has optics and a radar mounted in the turret... perhaps this is part of the replacement for those vehicles with the optic component likely radically improved.

Just looking at the vehicle itself I was going to suggest the possibility of it having two arms one with optics and one with radar, but looking at the size of the folding arm at max extension in the top photo I rather doubt there is room. With a top quality thermal imager like Thales Catherine sight it is likely this system has a similar detection range to the Credo radar against some targets. If it contains a quality digital TV camera with high zoom it should offer excellent performance. Park it in the middle of a forest and poke the sensor ball above the tree line... any threat and you can drop the arm and move... artillery fire is much less effective within a forest as the trees absorb fragments and reduce blast effect.

The vehicles that normally carry Credo are used for spotting enemy artillery and calculating the origin of fire for counter-battery "attention". This vehicle could perhaps perform the mission based on the visible signature of a launch/attack, but maybe it will operate with a radar vehicle too.

I am guessing.

Interesting photos though. Thanks.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Here is a picture of Credo-1E radar. it is difficult to say, if if the thinner box in front is Credo-1E radar antenna. Also it is difficult to say, if antenna could also rotate as EO ball on the pictures. But combination of both, Credo radar and EO system is good combination for battlefield surveillance and directing of artilery fire.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Develop tools and artillery reconnaissance. Currently set up new means of radar (radar Credo-1C "," Aistenok "," Zoo-1M), audio (ACP-7M), opto-electronic (PDP-4A) and air artillery reconnaissance (reconnaissance complex " fescue), which for several years comes to the troops.

http://vpk.name/news/46729_Bog_voinyi_v_novyih_dospehah.html

So perhaps this is PDP-4A?

Presumably they are all based on the same vehicle with different packages at the end of the arms and different electronics in the vehicles.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I don't find that to be a very sensible recon asset. It was designed to pull up well behind the front line and launch missiles, not go behind enemy lines and scout. That ZIL chassis is know for its lack of off-road mobility.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess if they plan to operate it down roads in forests or amongst buildings or thick bush then you have a recon sensor popping up from nowhere with little chance of engaging the actual vehicle.

The radar models would be used to detect and track incoming artillery fire and determine their source. I expect the electro optics model will be used for passive detection of things like helos and low flying aircraft without a huge risk that the vehicle could be attacked except from directly above.

I would think a UAV might be better but from the information I posted below these vehicles are for air artillery. Would that mean air defence artillery?
    The mention of audio recon I suppose could allow the vehicle to detect a tank division by its engine noise or aircraft.

Maybe they improved the vehicles cross country performance, but with road mobile units I think working in pairs will be needed in some areas just to ensure you have a vehicle to help you out of deep mud or deep snow if you get stuck.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I find some info about this recce vehicle. It is artillery recce vehicle Kredo-1S 1L269 for ground and low flying target recce and artillery fire directing.

Link: http://komandos.start.bg/article.php?aid=14618

Unfortunately it's in Russian, but this source write, it have Kredo-1 radar with range of 35 km to detecting tanks and 15 km to detecting man and EO complex with TI, TV and laser range finder. It was accepted in army in 2007.

It is also mentioned in this article.

http://vpk.name/news/46729_Bog_voinyi_v_novyih_dospehah.html

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Unfortunately that radar has a hard time distinguishing men from vegetation.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 am

Radio engineering troops will get new radar
    http://vpk.name/news/47560_radiotehnicheskie_voiska_poluchat_novyie_radiolokacionnyie_stancii.html

Поставка новых радаров будет осуществляться в рамках госпрограммы вооружений на 2011-2020 годы. До 2020 года планируется переоснащение Радиотехнических войск на 70 процентов "современными и перспективными образцами радиоэлектронного вооружения". В числе новой техники войска получат радиолокационные станции дежурного и боевого режимов типа "Каста", "Гамма", "Небо" и "Рудиолуч". Также будет проводится модернизация уже принятых на вооружение систем.

Vlad or any body can identify these new radars ?

I have identified two based on some discussion.

Gamma-S1Ye --> http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/wiki/files/71/Gamma-S1Ye-MAKS-2007.jpg
    Protivnik-GE ---> http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/wiki/files/80/Protivnik-GE.JPG
    http://pvo.guns.ru/rtv/protivnik.htm

Pervius
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Pervius on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Kurile and Iturup Islands build up will likely expand Russia's western radar. Maybe S-400's as well going there?

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 am

Seems like a new Mobile UHF Phased array radar from Russia

http://www.vniirt.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=22

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Seems like a new Mobile UHF Phased array radar from Russia

http://www.vniirt.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=22
    [quote]

Maybe this could be a battery radar for Pantsir-S1. It's placed on the same Kamaz truck and is in desert colors, what make good association, because Pantsir is always showed in desert color.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I had sent those pictures and link to Dr Carlo Kopp from APA and this is what he has mentioned to me in an email

####
    I have seen a picture before but not the description. It is the L-band acquisition radar for standalone batteries of the Pantsir S1 / SA-22 - yes it is a proper full AESA design using technology from the VNIIRT Gamma DE series C
    ####

This is clarify what those radars are for.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:52 am

Nice find Austin.

They seem to be expanding the number of radars in the L band range... I suspect that with the use of L band wing mounted radar in T-50 and Su-35 and perhaps Mig-35, (though I have not got confirmation of the latter I suspect they could use it too), that the Russians believe it might be useful... at least against LO fighters like Rafale and Typhoon, and also perhaps the F-35 and even F-22.

This makes ground based mobile radars as this very interesting... especially with Pantsir-S1s operational ceiling variably described as 10,000m and 15,000m, as the latter would probably mean that for normal operations the F-35 will not be able to fly over a Pantsir battery.

This anti stealth role is also useful for Pantsir as it does not rely on radar guidance or terminal homing, and has not forward facing optical ports so DIRCMs on the target will have a hard time stopping the missiles.

Current date/time is Mon May 25, 2015 9:18 pm