Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Share
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:23 pm

    Will be interesting after SAP2020 what they decide to do. Cause that will effect the def budget greatly. If they decide that the next SAP is half of the current amount for 5 years (procurement set at lets say 10T Rubles rather than the current 24T), then that would drop the defense budget greatly as they wont have to pay for as much. Save revenue would then go to other projects or straight to the reserve funds.

    Backinblack

    Posts : 37
    Points : 49
    Join date : 2015-10-16

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Backinblack on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 am

    Russian Navy’s Missile Launch Upon ISIS May Cost RUB 10 Bln: http://mil.today/2015/Syria9/
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10517
    Points : 10994
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:30 pm


    Russian to spend $34.8 bln on Armed Forces in 2016 — draft budget

    Russia will spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. A total of 2.233 trillion rubles ($34.8 billion) is planned to be allocated from the budget for the Russian Armed Forces in 2016, according to a report from the Defense Committee of the State Duma published on Friday.

    The announced sum is lower by 176.674 million rubles ($2.8 million) against the one allocated for the same purposes this year.

    The report also said that a total of 3.145 trillion rubles ($49 billion) was planned to be allocated on the "national defense" next year.
    Russia to spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    The federal budget spending on nuclear weapons will grow by almost 4 billion rubles ($62 million) in 2016 as part of national defense expenditures.

    According to the document, the funding set aside in accordance with the budget item is more than 44.5 billion rubles ($693 million) in 2015, while over 48.3 billion rubles ($754 million) has been earmarked for 2016.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:33 pm

    George1 wrote:
    Russian to spend $34.8 bln on Armed Forces in 2016 — draft budget

    Russia will spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. A total of 2.233 trillion rubles ($34.8 billion) is planned to be allocated from the budget for the Russian Armed Forces in 2016, according to a report from the Defense Committee of the State Duma published on Friday.

    The announced sum is lower by 176.674 million rubles ($2.8 million) against the one allocated for the same purposes this year.

    The report also said that a total of 3.145 trillion rubles ($49 billion) was planned to be allocated on the "national defense" next year.
    Russia to spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    The federal budget spending on nuclear weapons will grow by almost 4 billion rubles ($62 million) in 2016 as part of national defense expenditures.

    According to the document, the funding set aside in accordance with the budget item is more than 44.5 billion rubles ($693 million) in 2015, while over 48.3 billion rubles ($754 million) has been earmarked for 2016.

    Wait... There are two different categories? "Armed Forces" and "National Defense"?
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:15 am

    Kimppis wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    Russian to spend $34.8 bln on Armed Forces in 2016 — draft budget

    Russia will spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. A total of 2.233 trillion rubles ($34.8 billion) is planned to be allocated from the budget for the Russian Armed Forces in 2016, according to a report from the Defense Committee of the State Duma published on Friday.

    The announced sum is lower by 176.674 million rubles ($2.8 million) against the one allocated for the same purposes this year.

    The report also said that a total of 3.145 trillion rubles ($49 billion) was planned to be allocated on the "national defense" next year.
    Russia to spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    The federal budget spending on nuclear weapons will grow by almost 4 billion rubles ($62 million) in 2016 as part of national defense expenditures.

    According to the document, the funding set aside in accordance with the budget item is more than 44.5 billion rubles ($693 million) in 2015, while over 48.3 billion rubles ($754 million) has been earmarked for 2016.

    Wait... There are two different categories? "Armed Forces" and "National Defense"?

    I noticed that too.  So somehow national defense falls under a different category than the military budget.  And national defense budget is massive compared to army.  This may make some sense.

    Funny thing to also notice is how the exchange rate really plays into this.  I don't know if George added in the USD amount but it really doesn't matter/apply here except for imported goods (which drastically dropped for military purposes).  National defense on the other hand I never noticed as a separate entity.  But they are spending a ton on it.  I wonder if groups like MVD, and FSB falls under this?
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    George1 wrote:
    Russian to spend $34.8 bln on Armed Forces in 2016 — draft budget

    Russia will spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. A total of 2.233 trillion rubles ($34.8 billion) is planned to be allocated from the budget for the Russian Armed Forces in 2016, according to a report from the Defense Committee of the State Duma published on Friday.

    The announced sum is lower by 176.674 million rubles ($2.8 million) against the one allocated for the same purposes this year.

    The report also said that a total of 3.145 trillion rubles ($49 billion) was planned to be allocated on the "national defense" next year.
    Russia to spend over $750 mln on nuclear weapons in 2016

    The federal budget spending on nuclear weapons will grow by almost 4 billion rubles ($62 million) in 2016 as part of national defense expenditures.

    According to the document, the funding set aside in accordance with the budget item is more than 44.5 billion rubles ($693 million) in 2015, while over 48.3 billion rubles ($754 million) has been earmarked for 2016.

    Wait... There are two different categories? "Armed Forces" and "National Defense"?

    I noticed that too.  So somehow national defense falls under a different category than the military budget.  And national defense budget is massive compared to army.  This may make some sense.

    Funny thing to also notice is how the exchange rate really plays into this.  I don't know if George added in the USD amount but it really doesn't matter/apply here except for imported goods (which drastically dropped for military purposes).  National defense on the other hand I never noticed as a separate entity.  But they are spending a ton on it.  I wonder if groups like MVD, and FSB falls under this?

    "National defence" seems to be the actual defence budget, because that sum is $49 billion, which makes perfect sense considering the ruble's devaluation. On the other hand, that $34.8 billion for the armed forces is too low and too much of a drop for that to be the actual defence spending. The article also mentions that it has only dropped by $2.8 million.

    So WTF? Why haven't I seen this before? So is Russias actual official military spending 49 + 35 billion = 84 billion, which is actually more than $160 billion before the devaluation. It doesn't make much sense... that would be almost 40% budget and probably over 6% of the GDP. But still, that $35 billion is too low. It would only be something like 15% of the budget.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:48 pm

    Not really as before the devaluation, that would mean the budget for mil would be over $60B which could be right. I wonder if the mil budget falls under national defense and thus out of the $49B, $34.8 is used for mil and rest for other. If we know how much Russia pays for things like Su-30's .
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:05 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Not really as before the devaluation, that would mean the budget for mil would be over $60B which could be right. I wonder if the mil budget falls under national defense and thus out of the $49B, $34.8 is used for mil and rest for other.  If we know how much Russia pays for things like Su-30's .

    But wouldn't $35/60 billion be too low too much of a drop? Last year military budget was around $90 billion after all. That $35/60 billion wouldn't be even close to 20-25% of the budget or 4+% of the GDP. And I just read like a week ago that the Russian military budget is going to be around 50$ billion in 2016. So maybe some of that $34 billion is for the military and the rest are for internal security, or maybe the other way around (like some of that $49 billion is also used for weapons procurement).
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:28 pm

    Last years budgetwas around $50B and that was before the excha.ge rate difference.
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:25 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Last years budgetwas around $50B and that was before the excha.ge rate difference.

    What? So they cut it by something like 30%? It was around 80 billion in 2014 and I thought it actually increased last year.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:33 pm

    Austin posted official spending numbers from Russia. No budget in 2014 was in the $40B range. In 2015 it was in the $50B range and in 2016 the $60B range (before devaluation of currency). Those numbers you are stating are speculations from sipri I think. So we are basing what Russian gov are saying.  The rest is pure speculations.

    http://www.russiadefence.net/t24p120-russian-military-budget#109498

    Austins earlier post about 3.145T rubles for national defense was correct seeing as how the article George posted repeats it. Only info we have additional is that it seems that mil budget is a part of that and nuclear missiles may be separated from the mil budget.
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:18 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Austin posted official spending numbers from Russia. No budget in 2014 was in the $40B range. In 2015 it was in the $50B range and in 2016 the $60B range (before devaluation of currency). Those numbers you are stating are speculations from sipri I think. So we are basing what Russian gov are saying.  The rest is pure speculations.

    http://www.russiadefence.net/t24p120-russian-military-budget#109498

    Austins earlier post about 3.145T rubles for national defense was correct seeing as how the article George posted repeats it. Only info we have additional is that it seems that mil budget is a part of that and nuclear missiles may be separated from the mil budget.

    Russian nominal GDP was at 2 trillion USD before the devaluation

    The Russian defence budget has been around 4% of the GDP and 20% of the budget during the past few years, atleast, right?

    And 4% is/was around 80 billion USD. (1% would 20 billion, ofc.)

    Russian military budget was already ranked as the 3rd highest in the world, in official, nominal terms already back in 2012-13. That's how I remember it, atleast. And UK's France's budget has been around 60 billion this whole time. So Russia's budget must have been higher than that.

    So Russia's military budget is around 3 trillion rubles next year? That is 46 billion USD (not the 35 billion for the "armed forces") for "national defence", which would be around 90+ billion before the devaluation. So that 49 billion, again, makes perfect sense.

    SIPRI's own numbers were and are ofc higher, but they were 80 billion+ like years ago. In 2012 or 2013. I think...

    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_Russian_Federation

    "The Russian government's published 2014 military budget is about 2.49 trillion rubles (approximately US$69.3 billion), the third largest in the world behind the US and China. The official budget was set to rise to 3.03 trillion rubles (approximately US$83.7 billion) in 2015, and 3.36 trillion rubles (approximately US$93.9 billion) in 2016.[1] As of 2014, Russia's military budget was higher than any other European nation, and approximately 1/7th (14%) of the US military budget. However, a collapse in the value of the Rouble has greatly reduced the dollar-value of the Russian budget to around 50 billion USD as of February 2015, despite a 33% increase in the Rouble-value of the budget.[2]

    And the same articles shows that SIPRI's figure was already at 90 billion back in 2012.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 pm

    Read my post, follow link, read Austins post and his link. Those are accurate numbers, not wikis.

    The wording on Georges link is not very good. Tass has really bad sentence structures that makes it very confusing to read and understand.

    Essentially, what I am getting out of this is that the National Defense Budget is over 3T Rubles ($49B USD) and that out of that $49B, $34B of it is going to the military (paying soldiers, maintenance, training, benefits, etc etc etc) and the rest through things like FSB, Nuclear weapons, other special operative groups, possibly weapons procurements, etc. The wording makes it sound like something else but essentialy defense budget is $49B (or $90/some odd B in old exchange rate). But defense means multitude of things and well, I imagine the national police units like Omon fall under the budget.


    Last edited by sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:26 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Read my post, follow link, read Austins post and his link. Those are accurate numbers, not wikis.

    Russian military budget is around 3 trillion roubles? That is 45+ billion USD right now. Which would be around 90 billion USD before the devaluation, not 50 billion, right?

    Russian military budget was 2.5 trillion roubles in 2014. Which would be 70+ billion USD before the devaluation, not 50.

    That's the only thing we are disagreeing on. I think? I don't know anymore, lol.

    Wiki is saying the same thing btw, regarding the rouble value of the budget. It's sourced.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:29 pm

    Yes, the national defense budget is $49B this year. Military is $34B (part of the budget).  I think groups like MVD, Omon, FSB have a budget of about $1B (lol).

    Tass is lousy in their sentenceing and english translations at times. Making their articles a riddle more than anything.
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:31 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Essentially, what I am getting out of this is that the National Defense Budget is over 3T Rubles ($49B USD) and that out of that $49B, $34B of it is going to the military (paying soldiers, maintenance, training, benefits, etc etc etc) and the rest through things like FSB, Nuclear weapons, other special operative groups, possibly weapons procurements, etc.  The wording makes it sound like something else but essentialy defense budget is $49B (or $90/some odd B in old exchange rate).  But defense means multitude of things and well, I imagine the national police units like Omon fall under the budget.

    sepheronx wrote:Yes, the national defense budget is $49B this year. Military is $34B (part of the budget).  I think groups like MVD, Omon, FSB have a budget of about $1B (lol).

    Tass is lousy in their sentenceing and english translations at times. Making their articles a riddle more than anything.

    I see, that explains it. Smile
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2583
    Points : 2621
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  franco on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 pm

    Kimppis wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Read my post, follow link, read Austins post and his link. Those are accurate numbers, not wikis.

    Russian military budget is around 3 trillion roubles? That is 45+ billion USD right now. Which would be around 90 billion USD before the devaluation, not 50 billion, right?

    Russian military budget was 2.5 trillion roubles in 2014. Which would be 70+ billion USD before the devaluation, not 50.

    That's the only thing we are disagreeing on. I think? I don't know anymore, lol.

    Wiki is saying the same thing btw, regarding the rouble value of the budget. It's sourced.

    Russia doesn't do it's budget in US$. End of story.
    avatar
    Kimppis

    Posts : 318
    Points : 324
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Kimppis on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 am

    franco wrote:
    Kimppis wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Read my post, follow link, read Austins post and his link. Those are accurate numbers, not wikis.

    Russian military budget is around 3 trillion roubles? That is 45+ billion USD right now. Which would be around 90 billion USD before the devaluation, not 50 billion, right?

    Russian military budget was 2.5 trillion roubles in 2014. Which would be 70+ billion USD before the devaluation, not 50.

    That's the only thing we are disagreeing on. I think? I don't know anymore, lol.

    Wiki is saying the same thing btw, regarding the rouble value of the budget. It's sourced.

    Russia doesn't do it's budget in US$. End of story.

    That's true, especially after the devaluation.

    And Saudi Arabia's budget is $80 billion... Hahahahahaha...
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3147
    Points : 3270
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  kvs on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 am

    Even in rubles, the Russian military budget is not reflecting the scale of this complex in Russia. The price structure is almost absurdly
    small compared to any of the western countries. For example, the Project 636.3 diesel-electric submarines had a price of about
    $330 million dollars before devaluation and around $190 million today. This is less than 10% of the price of similar boats from the west.
    But there are also large scale non-market and hence non-priced processes in the Russian military-industrial complex (MIC). It's a sort of
    cultural thing, companies engage in activity and exchange goods and services without shuffling vast amounts of money around.
    You can call it a Soviet hold-over, I can call it efficiency (as in better use of resources with less bureaucracy).

    The Russian GDP is supposed to be about 71 trillion rubles in 2015. A 3 trillion budget amounts to 4% of the GDP, this is
    comparable to that of the USA. But the Russian economy is supposedly six times smaller in terms of PPP GDP. Does anyone
    believe that Russian military capacity is 1/6 that of the USA? That is simply laughable.

    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:49 am

    kvs wrote:Even in rubles, the Russian military budget is not reflecting the scale of this complex in Russia.   The price structure is almost absurdly
    small compared to any of the western countries.   For example, the Project 636.3 diesel-electric submarines had a price of about
    $330 million dollars before devaluation and around $190 million today.   This is less than 10% of the price of similar boats from the west.
    But there are also large scale non-market and hence non-priced processes in the Russian military-industrial complex (MIC).   It's a sort of
    cultural thing, companies engage in activity and exchange goods and services without shuffling vast amounts of money around.
    You can call it a Soviet hold-over, I can call it efficiency (as in better use of resources with less bureaucracy).  

    The Russian GDP is supposed to be about 71 trillion rubles in 2015.   A 3 trillion budget amounts to 4% of the GDP, this is
    comparable to that of the USA.   But the Russian economy is supposedly six times smaller in terms of PPP GDP.    Does anyone
    believe that Russian military capacity is 1/6 that of the USA?   That is simply laughable.  

    Add in, that the price of a Armata tank is roughly $3.4M per tank while tanks like Leopard II are far more expensive.  Or Su-30SM is roughly $30M (or less since Su-35 is roughly $31M per aircraft) per aircraft while equivalent US or European one is in the $50+ Million.

    cracker

    Posts : 232
    Points : 273
    Join date : 2014-09-04

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  cracker on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 am

    Can someone quickly calculate a realistic estimate of the budget in $$ (value of 1$=30rub typical "stable" period in the 2000s)?

    I want that this number includes every thing related to Russian defense and interior security, like police, defense facilities, secret services, modernisation projets, etc... not only what "seems" to be the basic "military" budget.

    We all know 80-90b$ is BOLLOCKS. I don't mean the money exchange rate comparison in a void, but i mean, the REAL effective budget if everything is compared to another country (like USA 600b$).... What I want to see (as a result) is rather how would Russian actual budget be in the USA, i think, like 250 to 300b$ equivalency. And remember that US budget is eaten by worldwide bases, the maintaining costs (utterly ridiculously high) of the dozen nuclear carriers, and the terrible lobbying of us MIC companies.

    If you look other countries with 50-60-80b$ budgets, they don't even have 1/10th of the russian capacities.... Saudi???? WTF these morons are paying 1 million $ per rifle or what??... Hell, even china with its "2x greater" budget on paper, isn't remotely close to the total capacities of russia. Anyone dares challenge this point? Chinese military is inferior in EVERY category possible to russian military, except maybe for the SURFACE vessels of the navy, and of course, the total number of active men in service (which means shit). For fu** sake, china isn't even issuing body armor to its troops, USSR did it since the 1970s.

    -Russia has the most sophisticated nuclear arsenal and is buying new systems. They also have the biggest numbers active.
    -Russia has a massive navy especially the submarines, second only to the US navy, but with strike/defense capacities nearly comparable to US navy (not talking deployment of airforces and troops, only the submarines), some of russian submarines are simply the most sophisticated ever devised.
    -Russia has a massive ground army with so many redundancy in firepower, it's not even funny. Russian army's artillery and AA defenses + ballistic missile forces (non nuclear) are simply out of reach even of US army in terms of numbers and quality.
    -Russia has countless facilities, sophisticated ones, operation centers, etc... many modern buildings have been made in last decade.
    -Russia has a strong "internal army" and militarised police, with big means. They have a lot of security services of various kinds.
    -Russia has a complex hierarchy of military research and production centers, probably second to none (US system is different and not really comparable), inherited from soviet times but also modernised /transformed by current russia modernisation program.
    -Russia has the 2nd most powerful airforce and quite frankly no other country (on its own) other than USA can touch RUAF. Even if it's a pathetic dwarfed version of the USSR air force, modern RUAF is still extremely strong and varied.

    Now tell please, how can CLOWNS make a f********** list of assending bugets$$ by country and put saudi arabia on the same f******* level as RUSSIA??? for f*** sake?

    quite simply, this type of ranking has no sense. "oh look! Russia is so weak! we have a budget roughly 80% of hers, and we are small country! Russia so weak!"

    Russia buys russian weapons, and functions almost 100% internally for military questions. Once the nutheads understand that, they'll maybe start to be less clownish. Fake $ value / equivalents have 0 meaning when it comes to Russian military budget and real military capacities.

    When your average american clown says "look, we have 8 times the budget of russia, we are 8 times stronger", he basically fools himself to no point.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  sepheronx on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 am

    It would be easy if we knew how much Russia paid for their Su-30's for example or their upgrades to MiG-29's, MiG-31's, Su-24's, etc.

    Since there is very little word on how much Russia pays for, we hardly know.  But judging by the large aquisitions of planes like Su-30SM (plans to purchase an additional 75) and Su-35's gives us the indication they are fairly cheap products (Su-35 is roughly $31M per aircraft judging by the fact Russia paid $1.5B for 48 aircrafts, which is a darn good price for the aircraft).  Since like Franco said all their orders are in Rubles, it makes it somewhat easier to guess.

    But it is true Russia can purchase a lot more with less money in terms of modern military equipment.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 786
    Points : 804
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Big_Gazza on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:06 am

    One other factor to consider that the majority of the Russian MIC is either publically-owned or the State is a major share-holder with veto powers within the company board-rooms.  Russian government can mandate that her MIC companies put the interests of the nation first, and profits second.  State owned companies invariably return their profits back to the public purse in any case, so it rather pointless to pursue profit as the penultimate goal, as profit/cost is a zero sum game in such an arrangement.

    The EU and US MIC however is 100% privatised and its companies place profit making as their No 1 concern, trumping everything including the national good and the maintenance of a well-paid skilled labour force (that delivers a solid tax base to the national government).  Profits are maximized at the expense of the public purse, and then locked away in private cash stashes, becoming unavailable for future needs of the state (thereby requiring the US gov to print more money to replace that now lost to private hoarding).

    In a nutshell, money in Russia is a renewable resource as the Russian gov can keep the money fluid and recycled back into the nations productive economy.  In the West, the constant flow of newly created money is skimmed off and locked away as collateral in the debt-based system and is no longer available for productive purposes.  Which system is more robust in the long term?  My money is on the Russians...
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2583
    Points : 2621
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  franco on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:01 pm

    Some budget comparisons for 2014-2016;
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1560197.html

    Austin

    Posts : 6330
    Points : 6730
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Austin on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:35 am

    Financing of Russian uniformed agencies to increase by $810 mln in 2016
    Business & Economy
    November 03, 17:00 UTC+3
    Overall, the spending planned for security and law enforcement in Russia equals 2.024 trillion rubles ($31.8 billion)

    http://tass.ru/en/economy/833785

    MOSCOW, November 3. /TASS/. The financing of Russia’s uniformed agencies will grow by 26 billion rubles ($410 million), according to a draft resolution the State Duma Security and Anticorruption Committee has issued in response to the 2016 draft budget. The committee is reviewing the main financial document of the nation, with the interested governmental bodies taking part in the process.

    Overall, the spending planned for security and law enforcement equals 2.024 trillion rubles ($31.8 billion).

    A draft federal budget was published in the state Duma’s electronic database on October 24. Under the draft, the 2016 defense spending was set at 3,145.090 billion rubles ($49.5 billion), i.e. there is a 25.5-billion-ruble ($400-million) increase over 2015.

    At the same time, the financing of the Public Order and Anti-Crime Program was set by the draft budget at about 816 billion rubles ($12.8 billion) — an approximately 15-billion-ruble (about 2%) reduction compared with 2015.

    Relative to the GDP, the defense spending alone is 4% in 2016. Its share of the overall federal budget will diminish to 19.6% compared with 2015 (20.2%).

    Russia’s federal budget income in 2016 is planned to be 13.577 trillion rubles ($213 billion) and expenditures — 15.761 trillion rubles ($248 billion), according to the draft law worked out by the Finance Ministry and published on the Federal Website for Draft Laws and Regulations.

    The budget includes the estimated GDP standing at 78.673 trillion rubles ($1.24 trillion) and an inflation rate within 6.4%.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Military budget of the Russian Federation

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 pm