Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Electronic Warfare Systems

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Electronic Warfare Systems

Post  medo on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:08 am

Considering the size and construction of Murmansk-BN complex, I would say this one is capable to jam OTH radars.

ahmedfire
    Captain
    Captain

Post  ahmedfire on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:12 pm

GarryB wrote:Watched the vid... interesting... but saw this vid:

Impressive, I need to learn Russian language Sad

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm

ahmedfire wrote:

Same here. Sad

Wish there were some Russian language courses where i live.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:33 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:
    ahmedfire wrote:

Same here. Sad

Actually the next best thing you could do is fiddling with the captions and translation settings on the youtube vid, and here's how you can get rough translations in the captions:

1.) Step one: click on the 'Youtube' icon on the bottom right corner of the video to get to the main youtube website.

2.) Step two: click on the 'CC' caption icon on the dark blackish-grey bar at the bottom of the youtube video. It should automatically have Russian captions setting on.

3.) Step three: click on the 'gear-cog' emblem to the right of the 'CC' captions icon to bring up video options. A transparent grey box should show up with some options, within that a dark grey box their is a white bar that has a 'Subtitles/CC' title to the left of it. Click on the black 'down arrow' and a white box should pop with caption/subtitle options, and click on the very bottom option with a grey divider line above...it should say 'Translate Captions'. It should bring up a dark grey box with a title 'Translate...', with a white bar with the name of languages. Click on the language bar, then scroll down till you find 'English'. Click on that, then click 'OK'.

...After you complete those steps you should get rough translations, however keep in mind it's far from perfect...it has a hard time translating fast speech, slurred words, some trouble with accents and slang...but with that being said you should get a good enough rough translation that you can get a basic understanding on what they're talking about.

Last edited by magnumcromagnon on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:56 pm

Presented quite like a sensationalistic journalist, he has no idea how it works but kind of ridiculous the work with his attempts to produce a TV show, i don't like such shows.

However the technology is awesome.

The vehicle was shown at the end, that is powerful enough to jam AWACS powerful radars and networks.

The Mi-8 with a big magnetron, a big microwave so powerful that they could fry the passengers on board, that is why the entire cockpit is isolated in faradaic cage. Jamming entire battlefields and the coolest vehicle was the mobile EM couple, that produces an EM field to let Radar guided missiles think they already reached their target and detonate high in the sky instead killing Radars,SAM's etc.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 am

Yeah... I didn't understand a word, but that bit where the Uragan launchers are firing a barrage of rockets and the EW vehicle is clearly spoofing their proximity fuses and making them explode at a safe altitude was interesting...

Shame they don't have a few of those in Eastern Ukraine.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 am

GarryB wrote:Yeah... I didn't understand a word, but that bit where the Uragan launchers are firing a barrage of rockets and the EW vehicle is clearly spoofing their proximity fuses and making them explode at a safe altitude was interesting...

Shame they don't have a few of those in Eastern Ukraine.

Well that vehicle is only designed to simulate an Radar radiating vehicle as a dome dozens of meters above the ground so they detonate in safe distance, the problem is i don't know any fuzes on Uragans or Grads that are reacting to radar bandwidths or emitters.

ahmedfire
    Captain
    Captain

Post  ahmedfire on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:
    ahmedfire wrote:

Same here. Sad

Actually the next best thing you could do is fiddling with the captions and translation settings on the youtube vid, and here's how you can get rough translations in the captions:

1.) Step one: click on the 'Youtube' icon on the bottom right corner of the video to get to the main youtube website.

2.) Step two: click on the 'CC' caption icon on the dark blackish-grey bar at the bottom of the youtube video. It should automatically have Russian captions setting on.

3.) Step three: click on the 'gear-cog' emblem to the right of the 'CC' captions icon to bring up video options. A transparent grey box should show up with some options, within that a dark grey box their is a white bar that has a 'Subtitles/CC' title to the left of it. Click on the black 'down arrow' and a white box should pop with caption/subtitle options, and click on the very bottom option with a grey divider line above...it should say 'Translate Captions'. It should bring up a dark grey box with a title 'Translate...', with a white bar with the name of languages. Click on the language bar, then scroll down till you find 'English'. Click on that, then click 'OK'.

...After you complete those steps you should get rough translations, however keep in mind it's far from perfect...it has a hard time translating fast speech, slurred words, some trouble with accents and slang...but with that being said you should get a good enough rough translation that you can get a basic understanding on what they're talking about.

Yes i tried it before but no english appeared ,don't know why!

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 am

Well that vehicle is only designed to simulate an Radar radiating vehicle as a dome dozens of meters above the ground so they detonate in safe distance, the problem is i don't know any fuzes on Uragans or Grads that are reacting to radar bandwidths or emitters.

In that case it would be acting against simple radio proximity fuses.

On the artillery rockets to get an air burst the fuses send out a simple weak radio signal. Large solid things like the ground reflect the signal... once the reflected signal gets to a certain strength it can assume the flat object or ground is a specific distance and will set off the payload.

So for instance on the fuse of the weapon there is a fuse setting for an air burst 5 metres above the ground or 3 metres off the ground. the radio fuse will have been calibrated so that when it is 5 or 3 metres from the ground the level of radio signal return is measured so that when it reaches that return level of power the warhead goes off.

This vehicle defeats proximity air burst fuses by detecting the radio signal from the fuses and transmitting that signal as powerfully as it can do no matter what distance they are they will set off the fuses...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

If a message is sent in radio spectrum in a codified way such that when you receive signal to know what is missing and how much of message was jammed. Short language sent could make also all easier. Also transmiting same message on different devices and different frecvency and carryer would make all easier.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Best is when you emit 100 frecvencies in order then jump to another 100 frecvencies upper or lower. And how would be that missiles when they receive signal to have a autocomplete like when you writing something on pc. I mean how would be that message to be sent in human letters to missile then the missile software complete the message was jammed. Or not in human language but in a artificial maked one

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Emitting on frecvencyes that noise signal used is a way to foul jamming

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 am

If a message is sent in radio spectrum in a codified way such that when you receive signal to know what is missing and how much of message was jammed.

Jamming doesn't remove data from a data transmission.

Most of the time it is like extra data transmitted along with the message.

Imagine a 4 Terabyte file made up of all the letters of the alphabet with the letters "Hello Friend" mixed in randomly. with trillions of other letters mixed in there is little to no chance to find the original text...

Short language sent could make also all easier. Also transmiting same message on different devices and different frecvency and carryer would make all easier.

Hiding the signal or scrambling it across several frequencies at one time.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 pm

I saw that a ECCM practice is that someone burn your equipment. There is somehow a atenuating of power material that would prevent burn of equipment?

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 pm

GarryB wrote:
    If a message is sent in radio spectrum in a codified way such that when you receive signal to know what is missing and how much of message was jammed.

Jamming doesn't remove data from a data transmission.

Most of the time it is like extra data transmitted along with the message.

Imagine a 4 Terabyte file made up of all the letters of the alphabet with the letters "Hello Friend" mixed in randomly. with trillions of other letters mixed in there is little to no chance to find the original text...

Short language sent could make also all easier. Also transmiting same message on different devices and different frecvency and carryer would make all easier.

Well...if the missile had on its computer the exact scheme of frecvecies that own troops will emit would help to something? Also i ask myself if a receiver on the missile could ignore enemis frecvencies and adopt just ones that are needed? And a missile could establish where exacly frecvencies are coming from? Cause i think if yes they could have in their computer the location of own troops.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:13 pm

GarryB wrote:

Well but the missile that receive does not having multiple receiving devices that does not having nothing whit the frecvencies designated to the each other ? I mean a receiver receive all signals or specified ones like a emiting device emit in some frecvencies but not others?

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 pm

After all point is how much power of calculation has the computer of missile , how much power have the equipment and how much equipment you fit into the missile. So ....is about the construction of missile too.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Question: can a missile guide herself from the sun? Like old sailors?

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 pm

victor1985 wrote:Question: can a missile guide herself from the sun? Like old sailors?

What would the missile do if its night-time, cloudy, or it's too close to sunrise/sunset and it's not possible to calculate the sun's angles to the horizon precisely enough?
    Also don't forget that much of Russia rests at severe northern latitudes; where the sun is very close to the horizon for half the year - for the but few hours each day when it's visible. Good luck determining how far north or east/west you are from that.

Even in ideal conditions, the resolution you would gain from determining your position from the sun's position in the sky won't be good enough for any sort of precision weapon.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:37 am

victor1985 wrote:Question: can a missile guide herself from the sun? Like old sailors?

With celestial navigation, missiles, aircraft, submarines, ... use stars for navigation purposes. The Russian R-29 SLICBM/SLBM is an example of a missile that has celestial navigation capability.

The celestial navigation system on many Russian missiles can also operate in conjunction with "artificial stars", i.e., satellites with, for example, laser reflectors.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:41 am

I've never tinked to a sattelite as an artificial star. What is best is how can be that jammed? Cause i dont think how. Also a vertical and horizontal compass can be used.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 am

victor1985 wrote:I've never tinked to a sattelite as an artificial star.

That's the reason I put the term in quotation marks; "artificial star" is not a standard term.

By the way, using satellites with laser reflectors for navigation involves the active mode of the navigation system.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 am

Actually I just remembered that cosmonaut Valerij Kubasov developed a navigation method, as part his candidate of science degree dissertation at MAI, that involved rocket engine burns maximally referenced with respect to the direction to the sun to change the trajectory of an spacecraft from an existing trajectory to the desired one.

I have forgotten the details, but at least a subset of burns would have been with the spacecraft directly and continuously pointing in the direction of the sun or directly pointing away from the direction to the sun.

The idea was to sacrifice some efficiency but to achieve simplicity and reliability in extreme situations like in an emergency re-entry during a situation involving lots of instrument failure.

Spacecrafts have also extensively used navigation systems involving automatic and manual tracking of the sun as a reference.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 am

I have reading some wikipedia articles about ARH and semi active radar homing. But as i suspected is easy to take countermeasures. All you need to do is guess the frecvency that a missile work for data link and homing. Ofcourse change of frecvency is an issue but no so big if you manage signal receivers. A question: how is best atack or defend when is comes about EW and ECW?

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Share of new equipment in Russia's electronic warfare troops to reach 70% by 2020

The troops will receive radio jamming devices, radar and navigation equipment, systems for the protection from high-precision weapons, as well as control and support equipment

MOSCOW, April 15. /TASS/. The share of modern technological equipment in the Russia’s electronic warfare (EW) troops will reach about 70% by 2020, and this year the troops will receive about 300 newest samples, the Defense Ministry’s press service told TASS on Wednesday - Russian army’s EW Expert Day.

"In recent years the troops are undergoing large-scale re-equipment, getting modern technology, including electronic warfare equipment. The upgrading is aimed at increasing the share of modern EW equipment by 2020 to 70%, which is feasible given the current funding of the federal weapons development programme," the Defense Ministry said.

According to the ministry, the troops will receive radio jamming devices, radar and navigation equipment, systems for the protection from high-precision weapons, as well as control and support equipment. "Among them, particular importance is attached to the Krasuha-2O, Murmansk-BN, Borisoglebsk-2, Krasuha-S4 and Svet-KU advanced ground-based electronic warfare systems," the Defense Ministry reported.

According to the ministry, the Russian armed forces today are equipped with state-of-the-art electronic surveillance and electronic jamming systems, which are not inferior to their best foreign analogues, and even surpass them in a number of characteristics.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:56 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:56 am