Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

4 posters

Serenity/Firefly

GarryB
    GarryB

Serenity/Firefly Empty Serenity/Firefly

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 pm

I was looking at DVDs the other day in a local shop and I saw a disk set for a TV series called Firefly.

What attracted my attention was the guy from the TV Series Castle was on the cover, and also the DVD was in the bargain bin for $5 so I bought it.

I mentioned buying the DVD the next day to a workmate and he suggested I watch the TV series before watching the movie based on the TV series called Serenity, which I did.

What a great series!

I really enjoyed it, and was disappointed when I got to the end... sort of like the same disappointment you get when you finish a good book knowing there is no sequel.

For those not familiar the TV series is set in the distant future where humanity has expanded to the stars, where terraforming has been perfected so almost any rock can be turned into a rough approximation of Earth of today. It has a US cowboy theme with new frontier type cliches and old hand guns... but it actually works IMHO.

The amusing thing is that the main bad influence is "The Alliance" which controls the main planets and tries to control the outer planets too and hints like parties with the upper "class" feeling very English, while the border planets feeling very American western but with an interesting mix of other cultures thrown in... all of the characters seem to be able to speak Mandarin yet only seem to use it for swearing to get by the censors.

I also like the characters... the captain, played by the guy from Castle, is no goody two shoes and will do nasty things when needed to protect his ship and his crew. The theme is to do business, not save everyone with a problem.

The movie, which is set after the TV series answers a few questions, but there are still a few threads left untied as the TV series was cancelled.

For those familiar with US TV programmes there is a guy from the TV series Chuck, and the girl terminator from the terminator TV series that I recognised.

Anyway if you get the chance the TV series is called Firefly, and the Movie that is set after the TV series is called Serenity.

I recommend both. Smile
    TR1
    TR1

Serenity/Firefly Empty Re: Serenity/Firefly

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 am

I have heard good things about the series, but IIRC it is only a few seasons, and I hate getting into a show, just for it to be short.

Anxiously waiting for Game of Thrones, so good...
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 am

Actually it isn't even the complete first season... there are about 4 disks with 3-4 episodes per disk except the first (the first pilot episode is 2 hrs long) and the last (with only about 2 episodes, so we are talking about 12-14 episodes, plus the movie.

It is very well written and acted.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I guess you mean this Serenity?

The movie was good.
    ricky123

Post  ricky123 Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 am

i have seen the movie not the series ..

i am too waiting for GOT

my wait list

1: game of thrones
    2: warehouse13
    3: grim
    4: secret circle
    5:eureka
    6:the finder (too bad the black actor died )

spartcus is on now so it will keep me occupied lol
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:24 am

Werewolf wrote:I guess you mean this Serenity?

The movie was good.

Yup, that is the one.

The TV series pretty much tells the story of how the crew got together and a few of their adventures.

If you enjoyed the movie the TV series will fill in a few blanks as well. If you haven't seen the movie... watch the TV series first.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am