Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Su-24 Fencer

    Share

    eridan

    Posts : 159
    Points : 163
    Join date : 2012-12-13

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  eridan on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 am

    Any news on the number of Su-24 in service as of now? Air International had a text by Alex Mladenov in June where he wrote:
    4 squadrons of Su24M remain, with two of them slated to receive Su-34 by the end of the year. That'd suggest some 50 something planes, with training/attrition airframes accounted for. In addtion he mentions some 40 recon variants of Su-24 remaining until 2020-mid 2020s when they will be retired.

    Any changes to that?
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 pm

    eridan wrote:Any news on the number of Su-24 in service as of now? Air International had a text by Alex Mladenov in June where he wrote:
    4 squadrons of Su24M remain, with two of them slated to receive Su-34 by the end of the year. That'd suggest some 50 something planes, with training/attrition airframes accounted for. In addtion he mentions some 40 recon variants of Su-24 remaining until 2020-mid 2020s when they will be retired.

    Any changes to that?

    Including Naval Aviation could be 8 squadrons plus training aircraft.
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1420
    Points : 1596
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am

    eridan wrote:Any news on the number of Su-24 in service as of now? Air International had a text by Alex Mladenov in June where he wrote:
    4 squadrons of Su24M remain, with two of them slated to receive Su-34 by the end of the year. That'd suggest some 50 something planes, with training/attrition airframes accounted for. In addtion he mentions some 40 recon variants of Su-24 remaining until 2020-mid 2020s when they will be retired.

    Any changes to that?
    It's probably about right or maybe more su-24 in service. With their upgrades su-24 are still useful and I'd imagine those in syria will likely remain in service for quite sometime. There's other areas which need more attention for replacement. But I have to admit that procurement of su-34 has been quite rapid compared to other aircraft. The navy have a smaller number of su-24 and if am right (correct me if I am wrong) that around 50% have already been replaced by su-30. 

    Its looking likely that su-24 will be fully replaced before any other aircraft. Su-25 will be upgraded as will a certain number of mig-31 with eventual replacement.  Su-27 is being replaced by a mix of su-30 & su-35. And last to be replaced is mig-29 with mig-35 which seems to be a low priority. You might find the mig-29smt will be sent to their base in syria and on russian soil will be just mig-35. Does anyone know is su-35 is now only aircraft to be replacing su-27 or are they still purchasing su-30 to replace them as well.

    eridan

    Posts : 159
    Points : 163
    Join date : 2012-12-13

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  eridan on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 am

    Yes, the Air international text said the figure addressed only the Air force numbers. Supposedly there was to be the second part of analysis covering naval aviation, but to date i haven't seen it in air international magazine.

    Would that mean that naval aviation is basically using more combat su-24 than the air force at the moment? 2-4 squadrons compared to 4 squadrons for the navy? What sort of additional numbers are we looking at for training? 10%? 30%?

    Are combat squadrons 12 planes or more?
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 pm

    eridan wrote:Yes, the Air international text said the figure addressed only the Air force numbers. Supposedly there was to be the second part of analysis covering naval aviation, but to date i haven't seen it in air international magazine.

    Would that mean that naval aviation is basically  using more combat su-24 than the air force at the moment? 2-4 squadrons compared to 4 squadrons for the navy?  What sort of additional numbers are we looking at for training? 10%? 30%?

    Are combat squadrons 12 planes or more?

    12 planes for most. Long range bombers may be less.

    3 squadrons under Naval control, 4 in Russia VKS plus 1 in Syria. Probably 20-25 left in training units.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:
    eridan wrote:Any news on the number of Su-24 in service as of now? Air International had a text by Alex Mladenov in June where he wrote:
    4 squadrons of Su24M remain, with two of them slated to receive Su-34 by the end of the year. That'd suggest some 50 something planes, with training/attrition airframes accounted for. In addtion he mentions some 40 recon variants of Su-24 remaining until 2020-mid 2020s when they will be retired.

    Any changes to that?
    It's probably about right or maybe more su-24 in service. With their upgrades su-24 are still useful and I'd imagine those in syria will likely remain in service for quite sometime. There's other areas which need more attention for replacement. But I have to admit that procurement of su-34 has been quite rapid compared to other aircraft. The navy have a smaller number of su-24 and if am right (correct me if I am wrong) that around 50% have already been replaced by su-30. 

    Its looking likely that su-24 will be fully replaced before any other aircraft. Su-25 will be upgraded as will a certain number of mig-31 with eventual replacement.  Su-27 is being replaced by a mix of su-30 & su-35. And last to be replaced is mig-29 with mig-35 which seems to be a low priority. You might find the mig-29smt will be sent to their base in syria and on russian soil will be just mig-35. Does anyone know is su-35 is now only aircraft to be replacing su-27 or are they still purchasing su-30 to replace them as well.

    They say they will be ordering more Su-30SM's. As for the naval aviation, the regiments had basically run down into just having 1 squadron of flyable Su-24's left. The Su-30's have just been added as a second squadron to date.
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1420
    Points : 1596
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 am

    franco wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    eridan wrote:Any news on the number of Su-24 in service as of now? Air International had a text by Alex Mladenov in June where he wrote:
    4 squadrons of Su24M remain, with two of them slated to receive Su-34 by the end of the year. That'd suggest some 50 something planes, with training/attrition airframes accounted for. In addtion he mentions some 40 recon variants of Su-24 remaining until 2020-mid 2020s when they will be retired.

    Any changes to that?
    It's probably about right or maybe more su-24 in service. With their upgrades su-24 are still useful and I'd imagine those in syria will likely remain in service for quite sometime. There's other areas which need more attention for replacement. But I have to admit that procurement of su-34 has been quite rapid compared to other aircraft. The navy have a smaller number of su-24 and if am right (correct me if I am wrong) that around 50% have already been replaced by su-30. 

    Its looking likely that su-24 will be fully replaced before any other aircraft. Su-25 will be upgraded as will a certain number of mig-31 with eventual replacement.  Su-27 is being replaced by a mix of su-30 & su-35. And last to be replaced is mig-29 with mig-35 which seems to be a low priority. You might find the mig-29smt will be sent to their base in syria and on russian soil will be just mig-35. Does anyone know is su-35 is now only aircraft to be replacing su-27 or are they still purchasing su-30 to replace them as well.

    They say they will be ordering more Su-30SM's. As for the naval aviation, the regiments had basically run down into just having 1 squadron of flyable Su-24's left. The Su-30's have just been added as a second squadron to date.
    So su-35 is not replacing replacing the remaining su-27 and only X amount of su-35 will be bought with continued purchases of su-30sm in til su-27 are replaced? ? I wonder how quick mig-29 replaced as no sign of it being replaced quickly as yet and they must be equally worn.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 12224
    Points : 12703
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  George1 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 am

    so the Su-24s now in service are about 100?
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:48 pm

    George1 wrote:so the Su-24s now in service are about 100?

    Around 120 plus 40 or so Su-24MR's.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm

    So su-35 is not replacing replacing the remaining su-27 and only X amount of su-35 will be bought with continued purchases of su-30sm in til su-27 are replaced? ? I wonder how quick mig-29 replaced as no sign of it being replaced quickly as yet and they must be equally worn.


    - Su-35 still replacing Su-27's
    - Probably only 5 combat squadrons still active with the Su-27. Another 3 squadrons of Su-27SM's and shortly 2 squadrons of Su-27SM3.
    - By the end of 2020 probably only a couple of Su-27 squadrons left.
    - Probably 50-60 Mig-29, -29UB and -29S's left. Some have received limited upgrades. Plus 50 Mig-29SMT/UBM active.
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1420
    Points : 1596
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm

    franco wrote:So su-35 is not replacing replacing the remaining su-27 and only X amount of su-35 will be bought with continued purchases of su-30sm in til su-27 are replaced? ? I wonder how quick mig-29 replaced as no sign of it being replaced quickly as yet and they must be equally worn.


    - Su-35 still replacing Su-27's
    - Probably only 5 combat squadrons still active with the Su-27. Another 3 squadrons of Su-27SM's and shortly 2 squadrons of Su-27SM3.
    - By the end of 2020 probably only a couple of Su-27 squadrons left.
    - Probably 50-60 Mig-29, -29UB and -29S's left. Some have received limited upgrades. Plus 50 Mig-29SMT/UBM active.
    So come 2025 what's figures are you expecting? I know it's a bit of guess. 
    Su-35?
    Su-30?
    Su-27sm/sm3? 
    Su-34
    Mig-29/smt 
    Mig-35
    Su-24 all variants 
    Mig-31 
    Su-25 sm3? ?
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3048
    Points : 3080
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:
    franco wrote:So su-35 is not replacing replacing the remaining su-27 and only X amount of su-35 will be bought with continued purchases of su-30sm in til su-27 are replaced? ? I wonder how quick mig-29 replaced as no sign of it being replaced quickly as yet and they must be equally worn.


    - Su-35 still replacing Su-27's
    - Probably only 5 combat squadrons still active with the Su-27. Another 3 squadrons of Su-27SM's and shortly 2 squadrons of Su-27SM3.
    - By the end of 2020 probably only a couple of Su-27 squadrons left.
    - Probably 50-60 Mig-29, -29UB and -29S's left. Some have received limited upgrades. Plus 50 Mig-29SMT/UBM active.

    So come 2025 what's figures are you expecting? I know it's a bit of guess. 


    Su-35 - 160
    Su-30 - 160-180
    Su-27sm/sm3 - 70-80
    Su-34 - 180-200
    Mig-29/smt - 100 (including the K's)
    Mig-35 - 20-30
    Su-24 all variants - 100-120
    Mig-31 - 120
    Su-25 sm3 - 120 (including SM)
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1420
    Points : 1596
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:16 am

    franco wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    franco wrote:So su-35 is not replacing replacing the remaining su-27 and only X amount of su-35 will be bought with continued purchases of su-30sm in til su-27 are replaced? ? I wonder how quick mig-29 replaced as no sign of it being replaced quickly as yet and they must be equally worn.


    - Su-35 still replacing Su-27's
    - Probably only 5 combat squadrons still active with the Su-27. Another 3 squadrons of Su-27SM's and shortly 2 squadrons of Su-27SM3.
    - By the end of 2020 probably only a couple of Su-27 squadrons left.
    - Probably 50-60 Mig-29, -29UB and -29S's left. Some have received limited upgrades. Plus 50 Mig-29SMT/UBM active.

    So come 2025 what's figures are you expecting? I know it's a bit of guess. 


    Su-35 - 160
    Su-30 - 160-180  
    Su-27sm/sm3 - 70-80
    Su-34 - 180-200
    Mig-29/smt - 100 (including the K's)
    Mig-35 - 20-30
    Su-24 all variants - 100-120
    Mig-31 - 120
    Su-25 sm3 - 120 (including SM)
    So despite the rapid purchases of su-34 the su-24 will be still in service in 6-7yrs ok.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5972
    Points : 5999
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  Militarov on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:16 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:
    So despite the rapid purchases of su-34 the su-24 will be still in service in 6-7yrs ok.

    Make it 15.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Su-24 Fencer

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:14 am