Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Nuclear Weapons Industry

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Nuclear Weapons Industry

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm

And C) FOBS could hit targets around the globe "within 20-40 minutes".

It takes an object in low earth orbit approximately 90 minutes to travel once around the planet.

It takes even longer if you have to perform 5-6 orbits to get your orbital trajectory over the target you are after.

Can you see how 20-40 minutes to hit anything on the planet is just US BS unless you base these systems all over the globe.

Perhaps the new system he is talking about is a mobile ICBM with MARV warheads with their own seekers and propulsion so they can be delivered by air (An-124) to any region and fired (10,000km plus) at all sorts of targets (including mobile targets like ships) with the terminal guidance to make them accurate enough for a small light warhead?

FOBs has been banned for some time and would be too destabilising.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:36 pm

They (could) have their own propulsion system to lesser that time. - I really was just saying that it could strike targets almost as quick.

Multiple launchers?

More realistic that they (or RU) could do that than building a huge electromagnetic cannon that can fire around the globe...

Very possible... Maybe they will reveal more on it later...

You're telling me a nuclear-bomb-projectile launcher that could hit targets around the globe in "20-40 minutes" isn't? Any weapon of "mass destruction" is destabilizing, to say the least. - I do support MAD at the moment.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Mike E wrote:They (could) have their own propulsion system to lesser that time. - I really was just saying that it could strike targets almost as quick.

Multiple launchers?

More realistic that they (or RU) could do that than building a huge electromagnetic cannon that can fire around the globe...

You're telling me a nuclear-bomb-projectile launcher that could hit targets around the globe in "20-40 minutes" isn't? Any weapon of "mass destruction" is destabilizing, to say the least. - I do support MAD at the moment.

Do you even realize that this is impossible with huge nuclear warheads?

The higher the speed the more air drag and therefor friction is present, the warhead would melt down if it would be launched with enough Mach to even travel 1000km. One EM cannon can not cover even one continent with warheads big as nuclear warheads even tactical ones.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    Mike E wrote:They (could) have their own propulsion system to lesser that time. - I really was just saying that it could strike targets almost as quick.

Multiple launchers?

Do you even realize that this is impossible with huge nuclear warheads?

The higher the speed the more air drag and therefor friction is present, the warhead would melt down if it would be launched with enough Mach to even travel 1000km. One EM cannon can not cover even one continent with warheads big as nuclear warheads even tactical ones.

Who said the nuclear warheads have to be "huge"? 

I was thinking that it would have a propulsion source to speed up its entry into the atmosphere where it will hit similar speeds (or greater speeds) than a MIRV or MARV. Newer technology could be used in advanced "shields" that will take the heat! - Pun intended

You get my point. Either way, not a single country in the world has the technology and/or resources to build a such cannon. - Maybe in the future...

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Vann7 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 am

Tesla had more advanced ideas of military weapons ,that what we have today.. that will make look nukes
    that US and Russia have like a weapon for amateurs. Tesla for example investigations claimed it was
    possible to manipulate the earth magnetic field and direct it at will , with a powerful enough machine..
    and for example manipulate the earth magnetic field and induce a lethal current into another nation and
    fry the entire country. Not by launching a missile ,but simply by knowing how to direct energy.. Is Similar to a Lightning but a billion times more powerful and that instead of killing one person it touch, wipe an entire nation. he also claimed that manipulating earth magnetic fields you could create earthquakes and or break the earth in parts.. Shocked 

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:56 am

Tesla, was in my book, the smartest man that ever lived. It is simply ridiculous the ideas he came up with, which were later "invented" by someone else. I don't doubt that his "crazy" "world changer" weapon ideas couldn't be made...

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 am

All live on this planet only exists because we have a protective magnetic field around the earth. Today we know that roughly every 26.000 years the magnetic field and the polarity is switched and during this process the magnetic airfield is either weakened or shot down for days up to weeks. During this time the earth is exposed to radiation from sun and space, lot of civilisations have been extingt through the high temperatures and radiation where humans literally were ignited from radiation. This Magnetic field around the earth is not so strong like we can create using technology, but it strentgh comes from its size. All living form on earth is nothing else but an electric circuit which runs on very low electrical communication between organs, brain to muscles and the rest of the body. In tests on trouts it was proven that the magnetic field when in a laboratory changed EM field compared with the EM field of the earth the physology of those trouts changed significantly, (not monstrous or anything just looked more neanderthal compart with normal raised trouts), this test proved that the EM field has direct influence of our physiology. Any change of EM field of the earth has direct impact on all live, of course not in the manner like in the trout test but when applying Teslas theories which are today less of theory then yes you can direct magnetic fields in such a manner that storms can be favored to locate in some spots. Storm clouds gather only when there is enough static voltage.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 am

They (could) have their own propulsion system to lesser that time. - I really was just saying that it could strike targets almost as quick.

They could but it would be very inefficient... they would be constantly accelerating but also having to constantly turn because to move around the earth at faster than low earth orbit speed means leaving earth orbit and heading off out into deep space unless you are constantly turning back to head for earth...

A huge EM cannon that could launch things into orbit would be very useful, but limited as to what sort of payloads it could get into space... water would be the most useful as it could be converted into oxygen or used as water, or rocket fuel and would not be damaged no matter what the acceleration.

Something that ensures no matter what the other guy does you can still wipe him and his friends off the map is a good thing as it assures the destruction is mutual and therefore suicidal. (ie irrational).

Having something that can destroy stuff anywhere in minutes puts everyone on a hair trigger where decisions have to be made fast while you still have lots of options... that is bad and can lead to the very thing you want to avoid... a real WWIII.

[quote]Tesla had more advanced ideas of military weapons ,that what we have today.. that will make look nukes
    that US and Russia have like a weapon for amateurs. Tesla for example investigations claimed it was
    possible to manipulate the earth magnetic field and direct it at will , with a powerful enough machine..
    and for example manipulate the earth magnetic field and induce a lethal current into another nation and
    fry the entire country. Not by launching a missile ,but simply by knowing how to direct energy.. Is Similar to a Lightning but a billion times more powerful and that instead of killing one person it touch, wipe an entire nation. he also claimed that manipulating earth magnetic fields you could create earthquakes and or break the earth in parts.[/quote[]

George Lucas had more advanced ideas about military weapons... he thought of a space station the size of a small moon that could destroy entire planets... thinking is one thing but actually making it happen and proving it is even possible is another.

Besides there is only one planet in this universe we can live on... I really hope no one is stupid enough to risk totally screwing it up playing with the earths magnetic field for shts and giggles.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 am

Playing for shts and giggles by provocing Russia a nuclear superpower is not the brightest idea either but the sociopaths still do it. Those sociopaths in power are ought to be killed who are running this madness and madhouse.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 am

GarryB wrote:

They could but it would be very inefficient... they would be constantly accelerating but also having to constantly turn because to move around the earth at faster than low earth orbit speed means leaving earth orbit and heading off out into deep space unless you are constantly turning back to head for earth...

A huge EM cannon that could launch things into orbit would be very useful, but limited as to what sort of payloads it could get into space... water would be the most useful as it could be converted into oxygen or used as water, or rocket fuel and would not be damaged no matter what the acceleration.

Something that ensures no matter what the other guy does you can still wipe him and his friends off the map is a good thing as it assures the destruction is mutual and therefore suicidal. (ie irrational).

Having something that can destroy stuff anywhere in minutes puts everyone on a hair trigger where decisions have to be made fast while you still have lots of options... that is bad and can lead to the very thing you want to avoid... a real WWIII.

Tesla had more advanced ideas of military weapons ,that what we have today.. that will make look nukes
    fry the entire country. Not by launching a missile ,but simply by knowing how to direct energy.. Is Similar to a Lightning but a billion times more powerful and that instead of killing one person it touch, wipe an entire nation. he also claimed that manipulating earth magnetic fields you could create earthquakes and or break the earth in parts.[/quote[]

George Lucas had more advanced ideas about military weapons... he thought of a space station the size of a small moon that could destroy entire planets... thinking is one thing but actually making it happen and proving it is even possible is another.

Besides there is only one planet in this universe we can live on... I really hope no one is stupid enough to risk totally screwing it up playing with the earths magnetic field for shts and giggles.

I meant that a small, "booster" stage could get the warhead to the atmosphere quicker... Having real propulsion is a waste...

The problem is how to retrieve the "projectile", as it would;

A) Be traveling at very high speeds.

B) Wouldn't be accurate. - Like launching a rocket that has no steering system... So it would need heavy RCS systems. - Maybe some "control surfaces" for in the atmosphere.

C) Would have to be "caught" by a net like system.

Not only that, but the cannon would be of outrageous size, cost, and complexity. - Bummer Mossad had to kill Gerald Bull......

True, and that is why I'm an avid supporter of MAD.

Yes and No... Look at how the invention of the ICBM took operations from multiple hours or even days, to a couple hours. It was a big shock at first, but things calmed down and countermeasures were developed. FOBS would probably have a similar effect.

You can't compare Lucas and Tesla.. Has Tesla lived longer (had more time), he could've "delivered" (or not). He always claimed that he had such weapons.... If this is true nobody knows, but even I admit that he was probably dreaming.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 am

Werewolf wrote:Playing for shts and giggles by provocing Russia a nuclear superpower is not the brightest idea either but the sociopaths still do it. Those sociopaths in power are ought to be killed who are running this madness and madhouse.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 am

Mike E wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Playing for shts and giggles by provocing Russia a nuclear superpower is not the brightest idea either but the sociopaths still do it. Those sociopaths in power are ought to be killed who are running this madness and madhouse.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

An answer to the last sentence of GarryB's reply to me. That playing with earth EM field is insane but not more insane then playing war with nuclear powers, same level of insane to me.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 am

Ok, thanks.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:06 am

Russia Looks to Revive Nuclear Missile Trains to Counter U.S. Attack Capability

George Shuklin / WikicommonsThe last surviving RT-23 missile perched above its railway based launcher at the Central Museum of Railway Transport in St. Petersburg

Russia's Strategic Rocket Forces are considering bringing back iconic Soviet-era nuclear missile trains as Moscow pumps money into a complete overhaul its aging nuclear arsenal.

According to an unidentified source in the Russian military-industrial complex quoted by the TASS news agency on Thursday, the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology — makers of the Topol, Yars and Bulava missiles — is designing a next-generation missile launching train.

"While the decision to start manufacturing [missile trains] is still pending, the probability is high that it will happen," the source was quoted as saying, explaining that technical studies and cost estimates are still being conducted.

"In the best-case scenario, they will be deployed by the end of the decade, probably somewhere around 2019," he said.

The Russian nuclear forces are the prime beneficiaries of Moscow's sweeping 20 trillion ruble ($500 billion) military rearmament drive, with authorities pledging to completely modernize the country's arsenal with new rockets better suited to respond to modern threats.

The Soviet Union began deploying nuclear missile trains in 1987. The trains used RT-23 Molodets missiles, built by the giant Yuzhmash machine building plant located in modern day Ukraine. By the time the U.S.S.R. collapsed in 1991, 56 of the missiles were deployed on missile trains. Ukraine stopped building RT-23s, and by 2005 Russia had decommissioned all of them.

In December last year, Lieutenant General Sergei Karakayev of the Strategic Rocket Forces said that the U.S. Prompt Global Strike program was forcing Russia to begin conducting studies on putting the concept back into practice.

Prompt Global Strike refers to the development by the U.S. of hypersonic missiles that will be capable of fast, high precision strikes anywhere on the globe.

In this context, missile trains make a lot of sense for Russian defense strategists. One of the key elements of any nuclear war plan is the ability of your nuclear forces to survive a first strike from an opponent and counterattack with devastating force.

A missile train would increase the survivability of Russia's nuclear arsenal, complicating efforts to locate its missiles by moving them quickly and consistently around the country.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:13 am

From memory the main issues with ICBM trains was the size and weight of the ICBMs requiring special train carriages to be made... they were just too big and heavy.

With modern technologies making them smaller and lighter putting them on train carriages is much more practical... the ideal is to create them so that they look and operate like other train carriages which would make them harder to spot.

As you can imagine the idea of the cruise missile in the shipping container wouldn't really work if it had a special shipping container that was twice as wide and twice as long as a standard container. All the handling and storing equipment would not work and they would stand out from other containers.

It is the same with ICBM trains.

the interesting thing is that the train could have Pantsir and TOR and BUK and even S-350 or S-400 and S-500 on board to help protect it...

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:21 am

"Topol" and "Bulava" reaffirmed their reliability and high efficiency

Russian Rocket sword

Russia and China can seriously spoil the blood of Washington, deploying off the coast of the USA submarines with cruise missiles long range

It would be better not to open Pandora's box

Russia has never considered its strategic weapons as an instrument of aggression

Nuclear deterrence: from Stalin to Putin

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Fundamentally new quality of nuke charges - Nuclear Center of Snezhinsk

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Chelyabinsk nuclear physicists started to develop the unique characteristics of the charges

http://tass.ru/ural-news/2033285

Ammunition used in the five kinds of carriers of strategic nuclear forces

Snezhinsk (Chelyabinsk Region), June 10. / TASS /. Nuclear Center of Snezhinsk (VNIITF, Chelyabinsk region) started the development of new charges with unique characteristics. This was announced by Director of the Center Michael Zheleznov at a meeting with the general director of the state corporation "Rosatom" Sergey Kiriyenko.

"One of our new development center - is used five types of media strategic nuclear forces ammunition with unique characteristics" - said Zheleznov, noting that the center is also engaged in the modernization of existing weapons and charges.

According Zheleznova the past 10 years Snezhinsk Center, which is celebrating 10 June 60 anniversary, put into service 10 types of nuclear weapons.

According to Kiriyenko, in the abolition of nuclear tests, the institute Snezhinsk "not only provides the performance and the modernization of previously developed the charge, but also could provide a forces in combat duty with fundamentally new quality of charges."

"Half of all Russian nuclear power made Snezhinsk. Including all charges made here are used Navy and all of the charges, which are used by the Air Force," - concluded the head of "Rosatom", which is located in the Chelyabinsk region with working visit.

New torpedoes, new hypersonic missiles and new IRBMs require new warheads Smile

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 am

Russian missile factory to increase production volume by 17%

Votkinsky Zavod in western Urals is the batch manufacturer of Iskander-M tactical missiles, Topol-M strategic missiles and sea-based Bulava ballistic missiles

IZHEVSK, 28 August. /TASS/. A factory in Udmurtia, western Urals, that manufactures the Bulava and Topol-M ballistic missiles plans to increase the output at the yearend by 17% to $402.2 million, the Director General of the enterprise, Viktor Tolmachov told reporters during a meeting the regional President, Alexander Solovyov in the city of Votkinsk where the factory is located.

"We’re working exactly in compliance with the plan, like we did at the beginning of the year," Tolmachov said. "We’ll finish the year with 27 billion rubles ($402 million at the current exchange rate TASS). We aren’t falling. We’re growing instead and we’ll finish the year with a 17% increase."

At present, Votkinsky Zavod (the Votkinsk Factory) is building up a portfolio of orders for next year.

"We’ve met the production targets for this year and now we’re getting advanced payments for next year," Tolmachov said. "The factory has two or three work shifts a day."

"The volumes of the state defense order are increasing because we’ve earned the reputation of an enterprise that fulfills the state defense orders year after year," he said.

Votkinsky Zavod experts say its output of manufactured items totaled $160 million in the first six months of the year — up 9.2% versus the same period in 2014.

As of 2015, the factory embarked on an investment project worth $83.1 million and aimed at the revamping and technology overhaul of production facilities, which will last continue through to December 2019. The factory plans to spend $21.8 million for the purpose this year.

Votkinsky Zavod is the batch manufacturer of Iskander-M tactical missiles, Topol-M strategic missiles and sea-based Bulava ballistic missiles.

It also manufactures commercial produce, including appliances for the oil and gas industry, nuclear plant equipment, metal-cutting units, and custom-made equipment.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 am

Mike E wrote:Tesla, was in my book, the smartest man that ever lived. It is simply ridiculous the ideas he came up with, which were later "invented" by someone else. I don't doubt that his "crazy" "world changer" weapon ideas couldn't be made...

Tesla is without any doubt one of the greatest minds that ever existed and lived. Sadly not many people know about him, even worse most of the people are not even aware in what fields he contributed. If you ever get chance visit Nikola Tesla museum in Belgrade, its something really special.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Nuclear weapons industry

Post  sepheronx on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 am

Quick question: Who still makes the nuclear warheads in Russia? A quick readup on wiki (and cant find anything else) states that Seversk did build make the plutonium but the two plutonium reactors were shut down in a 2003 agreement with US.  So who makes the nuclear material for warheads in Russia and how?  Apparently all of Russias plutonium reactors are closed since 2010.  Are all current warheads using old plutonium?

kvs
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  kvs on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:39 am

Vann7 wrote:
    fry the entire country. Not by launching a missile ,but simply by knowing how to direct energy.. Is Similar to a Lightning but a billion times more powerful and that instead of killing one person it touch, wipe an entire nation. he also claimed that manipulating earth magnetic fields you could create earthquakes and or break the earth in parts.. Shocked 

You need to supply a reference. This is some BS attributed to Tesla which he would never spout. The Earth's geodynamo is composed
    of millions of cubic kilometers of molten iron that cannot be manipulated by anything that humans can produce. If we are talking
    about trying to nudge the nonlinear dynamical system with some appropriate small perturbations then 1) it is impossible to model them
    to predict the desired solution since in such nonlinear systems errors grow exponentially fast and 2) you could be waiting thousands of
    years for your manipulation attempts to even register in a changed progression of the geodynamo circulation.

Tesla had beam weapon ideas that in my view had potential but critical details were "lost".

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:38 am

sepheronx wrote:Quick question: Who still makes the nuclear warheads in Russia? A quick readup on wiki (and cant find anything else) states that Seversk did build make the plutonium but the two plutonium reactors were shut down in a 2003 agreement with US.  So who makes the nuclear material for warheads in Russia and how?  Apparently all of Russias plutonium reactors are closed since 2010.  Are all current warheads using old plutonium?

Let me rephrase my question cause it seems to be quite confusing.

Since Russia has decommissioned its reactors to make weapon grade Plutonium, how is Russia making new warheads?  Using already produced Plutonium from old warheads?  My understanding is that Plutonium degrades over time.

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:46 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Quick question: Who still makes the nuclear warheads in Russia? A quick readup on wiki (and cant find anything else) states that Seversk did build make the plutonium but the two plutonium reactors were shut down in a 2003 agreement with US.  So who makes the nuclear material for warheads in Russia and how?  Apparently all of Russias plutonium reactors are closed since 2010.  Are all current warheads using old plutonium?

Let me rephrase my question cause it seems to be quite confusing.

Since Russia has decommissioned its reactors to make weapon grade Plutonium, how is Russia making new warheads?  Using already produced Plutonium from old warheads?  My understanding is that Plutonium degrades over time.

Just in case Smile Fast neuron reactors breed more plutonium then consume and not surprisingly Russia is among leaders in this technology.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 am

Yes, the fast neutron reactors or breeder reactors they are putting into service will create more fuel than they use... and it will be possible to make all the weapons grade material you need with them alone...

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:24 am

GarryB wrote:Yes, the fast neutron reactors or breeder reactors they are putting into service will create more fuel than they use... and it will be possible to make all the weapons grade material you need with them alone...

They seem to have relatively small sizes so System 6 may profit from Rosatom research Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:41 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:41 pm