Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+37
lyle6
medo
Viktor
RTN
Isos
Tsavo Lion
rick
HUNTER VZLA
miketheterrible
Henrik5927
JohninMK
d_taddei2
Pinto
AlfaT8
Werewolf
magnumcromagnon
George1
Godric
higurashihougi
Book.
aksha
sepheronx
dberwal
max steel
henriksoder
collegeboy16
ricky123
Sujoy
Mindstorm
Cyberspec
GarryB
TR1
Corrosion
NationalRus
f-insas
Austin
Admin
41 posters

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News

Austin

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty Re: Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News

Post  Austin Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am

GarryB wrote:Nice.

Really don't understand them not buying air con though...

Its considered as unmanly in IA if you cant fight Dessert Battle sitting inside the tank in heat , All previous tanks of IA never had an Air Con.

For a change though the limited upgrade proposed for T-90 does have provision for Air Con , so will the Arjun i think.
    TR1
    TR1

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty Nice video of T-90,T-72 and Arjun tank fighting Side by Side in the desert

Post  TR1 Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Nice video Austin, thanks.
    Austin

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty Re: Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News

Post  Austin Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:43 am

It appears from recent FORCE magazine update that Indian Army has purchased additional T-90.
    http://www.forceindia.net/BuyerCallstheShots.aspx

So total T-90 fleet will be 1657 + 235 = 1892   ( likely the last 235 is based on T-90MS to be deployed at North East )

Posting the relevant part

Armour
    The Indian Army’s Armoured Corps has also been affected by the slowdown in the economy that has impacted the modernisation drive to replace/upgrade its massive tank fleet. This means that armoured regiments will have to make do with their older tanks which suffer from night blindness, lack modern fire control systems and have underpowered power packs.

The Indian Army will continue to field close to 3,000 upgraded T-72 and T-90 MBTs over the next two decades, with the T-90s serving till 2030 and beyond. Almost half of the 1,657 T-90 tanks planned have already been inducted as of last year. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) also approved the manufacture of an additional 235 T-90S tanks worth almost Rs 6,000 crore last year. The Indian Army is now said to have only 800 T-90 tanks in service out of a planned total of 1,657 (plus 235 from the latest order).

In August last year, Bharat Dynamic Limited (BDL), Hyderabad, signed a contract for supplying Invar Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) to the Indian Army valued at Rs 3,000 crore. Deliveries are expected to be completed by 2018 and BDL has been manufacturing these missiles under technical collaboration with M/s Rosoboronexport of Russia. The T-90 is capable of firing the Invar which is a laser beam rider ATGM. It has a range of five km and is capable of destroying enemy tanks fitted with Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) protection. There are also plans for the license manufacture and delivery of advanced 3UBK20 (Mango) tank ammunition. All 16,000 rounds from a 2010 order for Fin Stabilized Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS) ammunition would have been delivered by now.

The shortage of ammunition for the T-72 and T-90 tanks has been an area of concern for quite a while now as indigenous efforts to produce state-of-the-art ammunition have not been very successful. The ageing T-72 tanks have experienced bursting tank barrels, with over 200 such cases having been reported last year according to reports in the media. Reports now suggest that the T-72s will have their main gun barrels replaced with that of the T-90 and approximately 800 T-90 barrels are likely to be procured in the near future. Facilities for overhaul of Tank T-72 were established in 1994 at HVF Avadi and in order to enhance the annual overhaul capacity, parallel facilities for overhaul were also created at 505 Army Base Workshop in 2005.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 am

Hope they get all the new T-90MS goodies...with such a big fleet it is worth it.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 am

TR1 wrote:Hope they get all the new T-90MS goodies...with such a big fleet it is worth it.

Well the case for T-90 Upgrade is already made by DGMF officially check the list

http://www.spslandforces.com/interviews/?id=14&h=Lt-General-D.S.-Siddhu,-Director-General,-Mechanised-Forces,-Indian-Army

SP’s: It seems that the T-90 will be our MBT for the next decade or so. Have any major modifications been planned in view of the changing battlefield environment? How are we catering for the digitisation of the battlefield in the future?

DGMF: As the mainstay of the armoured fleet, the T-90 Tank is slated to receive state-of-the-art upgrades to maintain its dominance on any future battlefield. These modernisation schemes include an active protection system, improved Commander’s thermal imaging sights providing true ‘hunter-killer’ capability, an advanced muzzle reference system for retention of zeroing both by day and night and necessary software upgrades to optimise the capabilities of the fire control system. In addition to a modernised digital fire detection and suppression system, the tank will also be fitted with an environmental control system to ensure longevity of sensitive opto-electronic sub-systems. A project for fitment of an auxiliary power unit to enhance ‘silent watch’ capability and conserve engine life is also under way. As regards digitisation of the future battlefield, we plan to fit the digital control harness. In addition, the Army is considering introduction of a software defined radio (SDR) which will ensure real time data, voice and image transfer. The SDR hierarchy will also support the battlefield management system (BMS) being developed indigenously.

For T-72

Tank T-72 comprises the majority of our tank fleet today. These are of 1972 vintage and need to be modernised to enhance their mission reliability. With this in view, we are in the process of replacing the existing engine with a more powerful engine, incorporating an auxiliary power unit, fitting a thermal imaging fire control system for the gunner with suitable night enablement for the driver and commander also. Other upgrades include the digital control harness and modernisation of the fire suppression system. To provide necessary realism to training; simulators for drivers, gunners and an integrated crew simulator for the crew are in various stages of introduction.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty It appears from recent FORCE magazine update that Indian Army has purchased additional T-90.

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:44 am

read about what APS they are gonna fit in their T-90S- LEDS-150. IMO Arena-E would be far better since it is russian  Twisted Evil .
    No but seriously, why bother with yet another supplier.
    Also any news about india's fmbt?
    henriksoder
    henriksoder

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty India Armed forces numbers

Post  henriksoder Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:58 am

Hello

I want to discuss the India Armed Forces strength. In my mind it kind of seems like a very important and strong military power in the world. According to my sorces they got like at least one million soldiers with reservs troops and that kind of seems like a huge amount but China must have almost two million with reserve troops (just look at the countries population). What can India do with their huge amount of soldiers, I guess that they carry very bad equipment and are not good organized or trained and dosen't have the military force to obtain a strong military power. I think India should continue to grow their military budget with the country economic progress. Like get more useful active soldiers in the sense that they must be better equipped, trained and organized to face a superior enemy.

I mean, they got alot of aircrafts, like 1745 aircrafts and two carriars which carry aircrafts, and that is pretty strong. I think India should focus on maintaining one carriar each on the two differents costs of India and obtain a strong air force from the main land in order to obtain a strong air space and a strong military offensive and defensive. The army should reform in order to maintain a strong military power in India and across their borders. India should work for a prosper economic development in India and for a free, prosper and peaceful world where human lives is respected and sustatined and where economic and human progress is insured. I read somewhere that India carry like 7000 tanks or something, but I dont know if that it's true, becouse then India tank force is almost the same in amount as US. How strong is India mark force, for example the tank force? India should focus on develop their military and gain neccesarry military equipment and a stronger and more effectful defense.

What is your opinion about the India armed forces? Duties in the world or their military strength or other exciting facts or opinions about India armed forces?

/Henrik
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:31 am

Wow wow affraid . Stop it there bounce . They might be carrying old equipment but it's baseless to say that they are not good organized or trained .

An Indian Army team has won the gold medal in the prestigious Cambrian Patrol held in the UK beating more than 140 participants in 2014 .

Exercise Cambrian Patrol is an annual international military patrolling event that makes its participating units cover a 80km course in less than 48 hours while performing numerous types of military exercises placed throughout the rugged Cambrian Mountains and swamp lands of mid-Wales in UK.

Yup India isn't in a position to project a global military power . by the way we had enough with murican miliary empire . In this multipolar era we don't need a single nation stretching its military unncessarily invading and murdering others .

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/indian-army-team-wins-gold-medal-at-a-prestigious-event-in-uk-114102800902_1.html
    dberwal
    dberwal

Post  dberwal Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:02 pm

henriksoder wrote:Hello

I want to discuss the India Armed Forces strength. In my mind it kind of seems like a very important and strong military power in the world. According to my sorces they got like at least one million soldiers with reservs troops and that kind of seems like a huge amount but China must have almost two million with reserve troops (just look at the countries population). What can India do with their huge amount of soldiers, I guess that they carry very bad equipment and are not good organized or trained and dosen't have the military force to obtain a strong military power. I think India should continue to grow their military budget with the country economic progress. Like get more useful active soldiers in the sense that they must be better equipped, trained and organized to face a superior enemy.
    IA is very well trained and completely volunteer force against conscription.
    Equipment is not bad but not what best money can buy.

India has never been a aggressor country in last 5000+ years of existence. That is the only reason we dont send our army to foreign land to fight. Look at the history of WW1 and WW2.

Indian troops were the largest contingent from a single country (leaving aside US and Russia)
    Allies won these war on our blood and don't have the shame to even acknowledge this part of history.

IA runs the premier Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School (CIJW) training facility in the world. CIJW was established in 1967 as the Jungle Training School. The current name is there from 1970.

This facility was open for other countries in 2001 and 3 US officers were the first to be trained here.
    Most of the countries who have started such training facility have first trained in India and learned from it. US/UK/French/Italy/Isreal..... are some countries who avail of these training facility.

Another one:
    The High Altitude Warfare School (HAWS) is a training and research establishment of the Indian Army. In 1948, Indian Army established a ski school in Gulmarg which later became the High Altitude Warfare School of the Indian army specializing in snow–craft and winter warfare. this st approx 2700 meter (9000 feet)

The Indian Army is among the most experienced and best trained in mountain warfare having fought numerous conflicts in the Himalayan mountain territories, at altitudes over 6000 meters (20,000 feet) and at temperatures as low as -50 Celsius. Given the extensive experience of the Indian Army in mountain warfare, troops from other nations regularly train and conduct joint exercises at these schools. Because of its experience in fighting wars in mountain regions for over 50 years. Indian Mountain Warfare Units are considered among the best in the world. Numerous army units across the world are now implementing training modules modeled after Indian Mountain Warfare training systems, these include US, UK, Russia

I mean, they got alot of aircrafts, like 1745 aircrafts and two carriars which carry aircrafts, and that is pretty strong. I think India should focus on maintaining one carriar each on the two differents costs of India and obtain a strong air force from the main land in order to obtain a strong air space and a strong military offensive and defensive. The army should reform in order to maintain a strong military power in India and across their borders. India should work for a prosper economic development in India and for a free, prosper and peaceful world where human lives is respected and sustatined and where economic and human progress is insured. I read somewhere that India carry like 7000 tanks or something, but I dont know if that it's true, becouse then India tank force is almost the same in amount as US. How strong is India mark force, for example the tank force? India should focus on develop their military and gain neccesarry military equipment and a stronger and more effectful defense.

What is your opinion about the India armed forces? Duties in the world or their military strength or other exciting facts or opinions about India armed forces?

/Henrik

Indian is like a sleeping elephant or tiger, Indian dont have a conqueror mentality as the 5000+ year history has shown but if put to a corner it can surely take care of itself.

Well looking at how world politics is developing 3-5 carrier force for Navy is what we are likely to see in next 20years (1 is operational, 1 under construction - induction in 3years and 1 just about to start construction)
    - Plus IN is interested in 40000 Ton LDP's ( likely to see 2-3 in next 5-7 yrs)

Tanks are more likely like 3800+ or so.

I don't believe we have any desire in policing world like US.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Nice work dbrewal but Indian army is lacking in high tech and high precision warfare kits and gears . We don't even posses enough ammunition to fight a month long war . corruption again is a issue in indian defense at political level , have no idea whether it's among high rank officials also .
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:25 pm

max steel wrote:Nice work dbrewal but Indian army is lacking in high tech and high precision warfare kits and gears . We don't even posses enough ammunition to fight a month long war . corruption again is a issue in indian defense at political level , have no idea whether it's among high rank officials also .

There is. My brother in law is in Indian air force. I hear of interesting stories. But that doesn't mean all.

Problem with India is that due to being a major arms importer, they have to rely on someone else. It is getting silly too on the mass amounts of differences on guns and systems used in India that just makes it hard on logistics and such (Tejas aircraft, MiG-29, Su-30, Rafale) and now trying to field two other tanks. I imagine it is a nightmare logistically and making sure you got enough munitions that work with each system.

Subsystems for plenty of stuff is made in India. Dunno where they get components though, probably Israel.
    dberwal
    dberwal

Post  dberwal Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:46 pm

max steel wrote:Nice work dbrewal but Indian army is lacking in high tech and high precision warfare kits and gears . We don't even posses enough ammunition to fight a month long war . corruption again is a issue in indian defense at political level , have no idea whether it's among high rank officials also .

we are able to buy what we can afford... rest we are developing (no other way out)

tell me which other country other than India publishes such statistics as ammo reserves to fight a full scale war?

well tell me which country is not subject to corruption?

Well corruption by nature once come in spreads its wings all over. Corruption is the parting gift Britishers gave us.

Indian Politics today is highly corrupt 10:1 ratio, But the change in leadership last year has revived hopes!!

Even Indian urban society is corrupt at a ration of 10:1

Indian defense force still by luck or chance are opposite of this ratio.

My personal views are that the current form of democracy as advertised by west is the cause of corruption.

aksha
    aksha

Post  aksha Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 am

Army zeroes in on Made in India rifles to replace INSAS
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/assault-rifle-excalibur-drdo-dalbir-singh-indian-army-arde/1/449238.html
    The performance of the DRDO-designed 'Excalibur' assault rifle in trials last month at the Armament Research and Development Establishment in Pune has further enthused the Army.
    Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 7SIWLcB

The Indian Army has decided to go for an indigenous assault rifle to replace the problematic INSAS rifles. The decision that could save thousands of crores in foreign exchange and boost local manufacture was taken recently by Army Chief General Dalbir Singh. The Army then cancelled a problematic Rs 4,848 crore order for importing Multi Caliber Assault Rifles on June 15-first reported by Mail Today on July 1.

"We are going in for a designed and Made in India rifle in keeping with the government's indigenisation thrusts," senior Army sources told Mail Today.

The performance of the DRDO-designed 'Excalibur' assault rifle in trials last month at the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in Pune has further enthused the Army. The Excalibur had only two stoppages (where the bullet gets stuck in the breech) after 24,000 rounds were fired, close to the Army's specifications of only one stoppage.

New features

The Excalibur is an improved version of the INSAS rifle and fires 5.56x45 mm ammunition. It has full-automatic capability over the INSAS which can only fire a three-round burst. The Excalibur barrel is shorter by 4 mm, has a side folding butt stock and features a Picatinny rail, a universal mount that allows a range of weapon sights and sensors to be fitted on the rifle.

DRDO officials say it will take the OFB's Rifle Factory Ishapore at least eight months to incorporate design changes suggested by the ARDE and field the first prototypes of what they are calling the 'Modified INSAS Rifle' (MIR). Changes suggested after trials include a smaller handguard and improved polycarbonate magazine.

If the Excalibur/MIR clears trials, it could be in the hands of infantry soldiers within two years, DRDO officials say. The DRDO is designing a second version of the Excalibur, the AR-2 that fires 7.62x39 mm rounds used by AK-47. The AR-2 will be offered as an alternative to the Russianorigin assault rifle.

The Army's 2011 tender was for a Multi Caliber Assault Rifle or for a weapon that could fire INSAS and AK-47 ammunition with a barrel change.

Five international firms - Beretta of Italy, Israeli Weapons Industries (IWI), Colt Defense of the US, Ceska Zbplojovka of Czech Republic and SiG Sauer of Switzerland-were shortlisted for the trials.

However, Army officials now admit the specifications were poorly drafted and unrealistic.
    Book.
    Book.

Post  Book. Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Indian Company Reveals UAV Partnership with AeroVironment
    by Neelam Mathews - August 5, 2015, 9:32 AM

Bangalore, India-based Dynamatic Technologies is co-developing a new generation lightweight unmanned aerial system (UAS) with AeroVironment of the U.S. It is named the Cheel (Hindi for Eagle) and will be based on AeroVironment’s proven expertise, with the design evolving from the 5 kg Raven and 12 kg Puma UAS. The project is one of the six “pathfinder projects” identified under the U.S.-India Defense Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) earlier this year.

“The first Cheel will fly eleven months after formal approval,” Udayant Malhoutra, Dynamatic CEO and managing director told AIN. The Indian company is already a supplier to Airbus, Bell and Boeing and has built an advanced avionics and communications laboratory; payload development facility; composites facility; and an assembly and testing facility for small UAS in Bangalore.

Denying recent media reports that the Indian Army had rejected the Raven, Malhoutra said that the Cheel would be different from the Raven. “It has a different signature incorporating the engineering capability of Dynamatic,” he said. Tom Cunningham, AeroVironment’'s vice president for strategic partnerships, said last February at the Bangalore airshow: “We’re going to take the form factor of Raven and add some features of Puma. We’re moving the propeller forward…it will fly higher with longer wings, and be easy to launch.” AIN understands that the Cheel will have solar power from wing panels, a development that is foreseen for the Puma on AeroVironment’s website.

The Puma is designed for land-based and maritime operations and the Cheel similarly be capable of landing in water or on land. It will also have the Puma’s precision navigation system with secondary GPS, which provides greater positional accuracy and reliability. The Cheel will be operated from a ground control station (GCS) that is compatible with all AeroVironment’s tactical ISR UAS. Dynamatic has conducted a number of trials of these UAS in mountainous, desert and jungle terrain along with homeland security-related forces, to check vagaries of the environment and to evaluate the needs of users. The Indian company was also involved in a U.S.-India exercise using the Raven UAS.

While the Cheel is the designated project under the DTTI, “the partnership with AeroVironment is for a family of UAS…[we will] create variants that offer a range of capabilities,” said Malhoutra. The partnership is exclusive. On the possibility of extending it to the Global Observer high-altitude long-endurance UAS being developed by AeroVironment, Malhoutra said, “Potentially we can work on anything. There has to be business rationale for both [companies].”

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2015-08-05/indian-company-reveals-uav-partnership-aerovironment

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 2wc2ovp
    Book.
    Book.

Post  Book. Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:26 am

Focus on Hypersonic Reusable Cruise Missile, Says Scientist
    By Express News Service Published: 09th August 2015 03:31 AM

VISAKHAPATNAM: After developing various versions of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, Indian scientists are focusing on developing a hypersonic reusable cruise missile which is first of its kind in the world, revealed BrahMos Aerospace founder and DRDO former chief controller (Research and development) A Sivathanu Pillai. He said that the idea of reusable cruise missile development was an inspiration from the Mahabharath, particularly Lord Krishna’s Sudharshan Chakra. Like Sudarshan Chakra, the hypersonic cruise missile will destroy the target with pin-point accuracy and fly back to the base for multiple use, he added.

Sivathanu Pillai was conferred with the GITAM Foundation Award by GITAM president MVVS Murthi during the 35th Foundation Day celebrations of GITAM University here Saturday.

Addressing the gathering on the occasion, Pillai shared his association with former President and fellow scientist APJ Abdul Kalam who passed away recently. “Kalam wanted to convert the SLV-3 into a missile, but the then ISRO chairman Satish Dhawan, wanted to keep ISRO away from missile development as it might affect the international cooperation that the ISRO had with many countries. But Kalam’s mind was always revolving around developing a re-entry class of missile,” he explained while talking about the origins of missile technology in India. Pillai recalled that after successful SLV-3 mission, Kalam succeeded in the missile project at DRDO through the formulation of the Re-entry Experiment (REX) which, much later, became Agni.

Pillai said that the growth of the technology level in advanced areas closer to the developed countries, has made India a nation of strength, winning it respect world-wide. He felt that BrahMos had established a global leadership for India. He suggested that Indian universities and educational systems should create two cadres of personnel particularly creating a global cadre of skilled youth with specific knowledge of special skills and another global cadre of youth focusing on research and innovation. “These two cadres could be utilised not only for powering the manufacturing and services sectors of India, but also fulfill the human resource requirements of various countries,” he added.

The founder of BrahMos Space felt that the country’s prosperity is powered by technology, which comes out of research and innovations. “If we are expected to achieve results which have been never before accomplished, we must employ methods which have been never before attempted, but with utmost honesty,” he opined.

On the occasion, Sivathanu Pillai presented the GITAM University Best Teacher awards to MRS Satyanarayana, K Manjusree Naidu, R Ventakateswarlu, MV Lakshmi, M Rama Rao, L Srinivas, K Mohan, B Nalini and Best Supporting Staff awards to T Sridhar, O Tata Rao, and Shaik Hussain. GITAM vice-president M Gangadhara Rao, vice-chancellor G Subrahmanyam, pro vice-chancellor D Harinarayana, registrar M Potharaju and others participated in the programme.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/andhra_pradesh/Focus-on-Hypersonic-Reusable-Cruise-Missile-Says-Scientist/2015/08/09/article2965112.ece

it can be good idea study
    Book.
    Book.

Post  Book. Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:51 am

Army for modular design concept for tanks
    New Delhi: August 11, 2015, DHNS

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/494578/army-modular-design-concept-tanks.html

Indian Army will not drop its modular design concept for the next generation main battle tanks, notwithstanding the criticism from the industry. The modular design, claims the Army, would allow subsequent development of 10 different variants of the tanks including light weight tanks, armoured recovery vehicles and trawls among others.

The Directorate-General of Mechanised Forces recently issued a request for information to the tank designers from all over the world to participate in designing the future ready combat vehicle that seeks to replace the ageing T-72 fleet. Though the concept received criticism within the industry, the army defended the proposal. “The FRCV will be a combat vehicle platform which will form the base for developing a family of vehicles,” said a statement issued by the Army.

The RFI does not give out the detailed parameters of the FRCV. These will be given to the agencies shortlisted for the design competition. The brief description of the FRCV, given out as part of the RFI, is only to give a very rough idea of what the product is likely to be, it adds. Indian Army began inducting the Russian origin T-72 tanks in the late 1970s. Since most of these tanks don’t have night vision and is based on outdated technology, a search is on for advanced main battle tanks as DRDO’s Arjun is not up to the mark.

The Indian Army currently relies on the modern T-90 tanks that came from Russia in the 1990s. The FRCV for a design competition to identify innovative design options, which will form the base for a combat vehicle platform. It is planned to subsequently develop other need-based variants on this platform, if found suitable.

“These platforms are to meet the futuristic requirements of the services beyond 2027 and are not in conflict with the current MBT Arjun Programme and its future orders,” Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said in the Parliament.

Two armoured regiments of MBT Arjun Mk-I have been raised and operationalised. Out of total indented quantity of 124 Arjun Mk-I tanks, as many as 122 indigenous tanks have been produced and inducted into Army. However, these tanks are used mostly in the desert regions as the terrain in Punjab and Jammu are not suitable for using the Arjuns in an operational role.

The defence ministry has also agreed to procure 118 Arjun Mk-II, when it is finally ready.

DH News Service

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Ibjujo
    India Heavy Vehicle Factory the T-90S producion line

Only lite tank future
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 am

Indian version of Armata ? Question Question Idea
    Book.
    Book.

Post  Book. Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:31 pm

higurashihougi wrote:Indian version of Armata ? Question Question Idea

I read the note. 40 ton lite tank

Arjun heavy no good Surprised
    Godric
    Godric

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty Army for modular design concept for tanks

Post  Godric Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Book. wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Indian version of Armata ? Question Question Idea

I read the note. 40 ton lite tank

Arjun heavy no good Surprised

India does not have the infrastructure to field the Arjun ... it can only be used in very limited areas ... imagine having a MBT that cannot be fielded in it's border areas including China & Pakistan and the disputed area of Kashmir region ... so it's development was a complete waste of time
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Media: India will acquire 149 BMP-2 produced by Russian license
    Book.
    Book.

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty India to procure 149 Russia-licensed BMP-2 IFV

Post  Book. Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:52 am

India to procure 149 Russia-licensed BMP-2 IFV
    30 October 2015 SPUTNIK, BORIS EGOROV, RIR

The Indian Defence Ministry on Thursday approved the acquisition of 149 BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles to be built in the country under license from Russia, The Times of India reported.

The decision, adopted by the ministry's Defence Acquisitions Council (DAC), comes shortly before Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar departs on visit to Russia on Friday, the newspaper said.

India is set to spend over $140 million to acquire new army vehicles, according to the newspaper.

A potential contract for 149 BMP-2 stipulates the licensed assembly of military vehicles directly in India at the facilities of one of the plants of the Ordnance Factory Board, a state holding company for the production of ammunition, weapons and vehicles.

The details of the contract are due to be discussed during Parrikar's visit to Moscow, the media outlet reported, citing an Indian military source.

According to the IHS Jane’s defense journal, the Indian Army operates 1,000-1,200 license-built BMP-2/2K infantry combat vehicles.

http://in.rbth.com/economics/defence/2015/10/30/india-to-procure-149-rusia-licensed-bmp-2-ifv_535475

India like the BMP
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:53 pm

India Successfully Competes User-Assisted Tests of Pinaka II Rocket System

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 1032628942

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160103/1032628806/india-rocket-test-launch.html#ixzz3wClhJhSH
    aksha
    aksha

Post  aksha Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 am

Nag missile hits bull’s eye with modified seeker
    https://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrg4HWqdHKAhXJkY4KHf8hBCcQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehindu.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fantitank-nag-missile-hits-the-bulls-eye-with-modified-seeker%2Farticle8108883.ece&usg=AFQjCNEkQWLoH4DzlIKFbZlb3aMbm-Bf8A

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 GdD64u5
    The indigenously-built third generation, fire-and-forget anti-tank missile, Nag, scored a “bull’s eye” and successfully hit the target 4 km away during a night trial in the Mahajan Field Firing Range, Rajasthan, last week.

During the test, the Thermal Target System (TTS) developed by a defence laboratory at Jodhpur was used as target for the missile, which is in the final user configuration. TTS simulated a target similar to an operational tank as thermal mapping from tank to TTS was carried out for generating thermal signature.

According to scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the trial validated the enhanced 4-km range capability of Imaging-Infrared seeker, which guides the missile to the target after its launch. The scientists said multi-purpose mission exercises were carried out for improving the system. With the modified seeker achieving requisite range capability, the scientists said the Nag missile was now ready for final, pre-induction user trials.

Director of Defence Research and Development Laboratory, (DRDL) K. Jayaraman said the final user trials would be conducted in different conditions in summer and winter this year. Using HEAT (High explosive anti-tank) warhead, the top-attack all-weather fire-and-forget system is capable of destroying modern tanks with armoured protection by nullifying their ERA (explosive reactive armour).
    aksha
    aksha

Post  aksha Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:18 am

Pinto
    Pinto

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News - Page 4 Empty Ministry of Defence may cancel EoI for $7.5-bn vehicle project

Post  Pinto Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am

The ministry of defence (MoD) is planning to cancel and reissue an expression of interest (EoI) for the army’s $7.5-billion futuristic infantry combat vehicle (FICV) programme.Sources told FE that the MoD has also extended the deadline until later this month as the companies are waiting for the new Defence Procurement Policy (DPP) recommendations to be finalised, which has recommended a minimum 40% indigenous content as compared to the 30% indigenous content in DPP-2008.

The MoD, which invited 10 companies in 2015 to submit proposals to develop the FICV under the ‘Make’ procedure, specified that two development agencies would be chosen.

Now, even as that competitive selection continues, industry watchers claim that “the decision to extend the date and re-issue the EoI is being done to ensure that the Ordnance Factory Board gets the FICV programme. However, since the OFB has no expertise, it will be allowed to work with a consortium of private companies.”

Industry sources claim that a consortium formed by L&T would include other players who have responded to the EoI. The nine private companies in the race — Larsen & Toubro; Tata Power (strategic engineering division); Tata Motors; Mahindra & Mahindra; Bharat Forge; Pipavav Defence; Rolta India; Punj Lloyd; and Titagarh Wagons.

The FICV programme was approved in 2009, whose EoI was first issued in 2010 but was subsequently cancelled. Last year, the army re-issued the EoI after a gap of three years to 10 Indian companies and had sought responses by mid-January 2016.

Two development agencies (DAs) will be selected and will compete for the $7.5 billion project. The Indian companies have been encouraged to form consortium (maximum five) and also tie up with as many foreign companies to bring home latest technologies on a licence basis to strengthen indigenous know-how.

According to an E&Y report ,‘Eye on Defence 2016’, “Four assessment categories with varied weightage have been listed out to pick these two agencies at the end of EoI stage. The cost of development of the prototype will be shared amongst the MoD and contenders with a 4:1 ratio. DRDO, being a technical evaluation agency, will not be competing/participating as a potential partner for any of the 40 key technologies identified by the army in its proposal. The contribution of the Indian industry to acquire, develop and indigenise critical technologies will be one of the key criteria in the assessment of various proposals. This current issue captures all this a segment wise listing of the probable technology partners for this programme.”

“Indigenisation is one of the important requirements of the program; therefore, parties must agree to collaborate to achieve the respective indigenisation targets for the development phase and serial production phase. A minimum 30% indigenous content on cost basis (excluding taxes, duties and other statutory obligations) is mandatory for the developed prototype of FICV. However, with 30% indigenous content, there is insufficient incentive to indigenise, which should be the primary objective in a ‘Make’ project,” the report states.

Also, the ownership of any intellectual property generated from any joint development will be mutually agreed upon and may be transferable to the MoD, if required for the programme.

Under the ‘Make’ procedure, the defence ministry will choose the best two proposals. Those two companies, and the OFB, will design and develop separate FICV prototypes. The defence ministry would reimburse 80% of their expenses. As a matter of fact, no design of such major platform has been developed in the country and hence, no suitable data on cost of design and development is available for guidance.

The best prototype will then be selected, and the vendor that built it will get a manufacturing contract. About 2,600 FICVs will be needed to replace the army’s old Russian-origin BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles.

War Machine
    * Firms are waiting for the new Defence Procurement Policy (DPP) recommendations, which include the recommendation for a minimum 40% indigenous content as compared with the 30% indigenous content in DPP-2008, to be finalised

* The defence ministry, which invited 10 companies in 2015 to submit proposals to develop the combat vehicle, specified that two development agencies would be chosen

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/ministry-of-defence-may-cancel-eoi-for-7-5-bn-vehicle-project/207497/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm