Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News

Mindstorm
    Captain
    Captain

Re: Indian Army (IA): Equipment and News

Post  Mindstorm on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

I read the BMP-3M that was specifically built for UAE sacrificed Amphibious capability with gain in weight from new engine and electornics

Never heard of that.
    What is for sure is that BMP-3M retain entirely its amphibious capabilities, while enormously increasing any other foundamental of the machine.

http://www.be-and-co.com/oaf_pdf/oaf_010710.pdf

Mention should be made that even after the complete upgrade of the BMP-3, its buoyancy remains on a par with the production model.
    In other words, it can swim across wet gaps at Sea State 3 without special preparations.

Therefore i highly doubt that this information would be correct (probably nothing more than the umpteenth sample of bad ,or worse mercenary, journalism likely coming from some western source).

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

GarryB wrote:There are no IFVs that are more modern than Kurganets. Amphibious capability is not a priority for NATO forces so most of their medium and heavy vehicles are amphibious.

Kurganets is still on drawing board Smile

Among the modern IFV both Wheeled and Tracked how many of them have amphibious capability ?

I think your abve statement is contradictory , if Amphibious capability is not a priority how come medium/heavy vehicals are amphibious ?

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Mindstorm wrote:
    Therefore i highly doubt that this information would be correct (probably nothing more than the umpteenth sample of bad ,or worse mercenary, journalism likely coming from some western source).

That could be the case then
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am

Kurganets is still on drawing board

... hey you are the one claiming western vehicles are more modern ...

ie
    Do the more modern IFV from West/Europe like Boxer in 25 T class lacks Amphibious capability.

Among the modern IFV both Wheeled and Tracked how many of them have amphibious capability ?

What a really dumb question Austin... I am very disappointed.

Whether or not an IFV has amphibious capability or not does not determine how sophisticated it is.

The Armies that buy these vehicles have requirements, and the vehicles are designed to meet those requirements... the fact that NATO countries don't think they need amphibious capability does not make their vehicles more sophisticated or better.

Russia has a lot of rivers and lakes and because of this they have a requirement for their medium and light vehicles to be amphibious where possible.

You clearly have decided this makes them thinly armoured and weak.

You are wrong.

The separation of crew and armament with the Kurganets and Boomerang should make them the safest Russian IFVs ever made and to retain their amphibious capability should make them the best all round vehicles available bar none.

In answer to the question of what modern armed force has medium amphibious vehicles... the US Marines. Razz

I think your abve statement is contradictory , if Amphibious capability is not a priority how come medium/heavy vehicals are amphibious ?

Read it again now that it has been corrected...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 am

When I mean Modern Western I meant Modern and Operational like Boxer.

What i wanted to know was do these Western IFV maintain Amphibious capability because if they didnt India wont find much use for it.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 am

Sorry, I can't help you there... I don't really follow western weapons development... apart from the main vehicles like the Bradley and the Warrior, which I know are not amphibious, I don't know much about western developments in that regard.

Once thing you should keep in mind however is that we are not talking about IFVs, we are talking about the whole family of vehicles, so when a previous Russian brigade bowled up to a river it generally had to scout for the depth and good entry and exit points before crossing as its tanks would need to snorkle.

With medium brigades having Kurganets or Boomerang vehicles for every role they should all just be able to turn on their bilge pumps, lower their trim plates and drive straight in to a river of any depth or river bed surface type.

The same for the Medium Boomerang brigades.

Even assuming these western IFVs and APCs have amphibious capability the MBTs they will be operating with will not and in most cases will have to wait for an engineer unit to build them a bridge.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Mindstorm
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Mindstorm on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Western latest (after 1990) trends in IFV's technical requirements and construction's philosophy has nothing to do with innovation but with the quick shift into focus of optimization for regional COIN operations, mostly in urbanized areas.

Requirements of the latest IFV in western counties ,in facts, has been relieved from the historical task to slow down ,for what was possible, overwhelming Soviet Forces advancing in the Great European Plain in the attempt, at least, to "channel" and concentrate them and allow, in this way, a more efficient employment of tactical nuclear weapons ( obtaining a de-escalation of the conflict).

Today ,instead, requirements of IFV such as Schützenpanzer Puma, ASCOD Pizarro, CV-90 etc... are dictated mostly by COIN missions against technically inferior opponents which employ mostly guerrilla warfare tactics in urbanized areas ; in this optic the most important features to assure crew's survivability become :

1) All around protection against AP heavy submachine gun fire
    2) High resilience to RPG fire
    3) High survivability against middle charge IEDs
    4) Good speed and mobility on-road and on compact terrains (to complicate aiming task of ambushing elements armed with RPG and machine guns and reducing time of exposure to enemy fire.
    5) Multispectral sensor suit and integrated data sharing capabilities, to allow combined engagement or avoiding of a potential ambush point detected by a third asset.
    6) Pin point precision engagement capability in the 1500-2000 meters radius circle. (Enemy are almost totally devoid of military class long range ATGMs while ambush fire from defilade in urban environments become habitual)

Now anyone can realize how IFVs constructed around similar central requirements in a high intensity conflict against a very powerful enemy wouldn't result merely unsuitable but even on the border of the ridiculous.

The first most critical (even strategic...) requirement of an IFVs for efficiently fight in an high intensity conflict against a symmetric opponent is capability to move unhindered in ANY terrain of ANY sector of the conflict's theatre -both in offensive and ,even more, counteroffensive operations - so to achieve:

1) Local Force's Concentration Overmatch on enemy forces and ,possibly, insulation of one or more of its components.
    2) Tactical Surprise ,through attacks executed from vectors unexpected or uncovered by enemy formations.
    3) Avoid enemy Fortified Positions ,Minefields and Artillery/Infantry Ambush points.
    4) Actively search open "corridors" to enemy frail supply lines and logistical tail.

In this regard anyone can realize how ,in a conflict between very strong opponents, real amphibious capability work literally as a strong Force's Multiplier.

Someone should think how much Schützenpanzer Puma or CV-90....if any.....,with the infantry elements carried , would be present in a particular moment ,in a precise theatre's sector, for attack enemy forces from a particular direction or penetrate in its rearguard or supply lines and, instead, how much BMP-3/3M would be present in the same conditions in a theatre like the following :

Naturally the opponent would be........China (not some small third world opponent completely uncapable to defend itself Rolling Eyes )
    Someone is surprised that amphibious capability is one of the central requirement of Indian FIFV program ?

I've leaved out the question of fire power and capabilities to engage any battlefield menace because here the difference become even crushing.

If i was a troop of an ATGM squads in covered/fortified positions placed on an hill and equipped with TOW and Javelin i would be extremely scared knowing that groups of enemy BMP-3Ms (that can come literally from anywhere ) can stop quietly at 7-7,5 km of distance and saturate at leisure the entire area with an indirect rain of overhead detonating supersonic 3UOF19/E-3UOF19 HE-Frag rounds , advance and engage the remaining fortified positions with Arkan missiles ; all of that from a wide stand-off range Neutral Neutral

Same situation against enemy Pumas, M3 Bradley or ASCOD with, at maximum theirs auto-cannon’s fire to effectively engage enemy ATGMs squads ?
    Well, i would definitely NOT be in any those vehicles or in one of the infantry squads it carry.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 am

Good Post Mindstorm

Mindstorm wrote:
    1) All around protection against AP heavy submachine gun fire
    2) High resilience to RPG fire
    3) High survivability against middle charge IEDs
    4) Good speed and mobility on-road and on compact terrains (to complicate aiming task of ambushing elements armed with RPG and machine guns and reducing time of exposure to enemy fire.
    5) Multispectral sensor suit and integrated data sharing capabilities, to allow combined engagement or avoiding of a potential ambush point detected by a third asset.
    6) Pin point precision engagement capability in the 1500-2000 meters radius circle. (Enemy are almost totally devoid of military class long range ATGMs while ambush fire from defilade in urban environments become habitual)

Agreed , Western Military conventionally is more oriented towards anti-Insurgency Operation and their new design reflect those quality which you had mentioned above, Something Indian Army will never face as we dont expect to be fighting in streets of Pakistan.

The first most critical (even strategic...) requirement of an IFVs for efficiently fight in an high intensity conflict against a symmetric opponent is capability to move unhindered in ANY terrain of ANY sector of the conflict's theatre -both in offensive and ,even more, counteroffensive operations - so to achieve:

1) Local Force's Concentration Overmatch on enemy forces and ,possibly, insulation of one or more of its components.
    2) Tactical Surprise ,through attacks executed from vectors unexpected or uncovered by enemy formations.
    3) Avoid enemy Fortified Positions ,Minefields and Artillery/Infantry Ambush points.
    4) Actively search open "corridors" to enemy frail supply lines and logistical tail.

In this regard anyone can realize how ,in a conflict between very strong opponents, real amphibious capability work literally as a strong Force's Multiplier.

India Pakistan Conflict will be Short and Intense against a Nuclear backdrop.

We need FICV with good firepower , protection/safety and amphibious capability besides integrating with multispectral sensors and add on armour.

I am sure a modernised variant of BMP-3 will meet the tracked requirement for wheeled requirement we might have to look at available western types in 25 Ton class.

I think superav is a good option for IA

http://www.armyrecognition.com/italian_army_italy_wheeled_and_armoured_vehicle_uk/superav_apc_8x8_iveco_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_amphibious_italian_army_italy_tech.html

Mindstorm
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Mindstorm on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:04 am

I am sure a modernised variant of BMP-3 will meet the tracked requirement for wheeled requirement we might have to look at available western types in 25 Ton class.

No variant of BMP-3 will meet technical requirements of Indian Army for FIFV program.

Indian Army must obviously assure that its FIFV will retain operational significance in a future battlefield environment ,therefore the vehicle should integrate the most modern solutions both in the defensive department :

1) Passive protection (in particular new composites and meta-alloys)
    2) Active protection (APS, soft kill systems )
    3) NBC shielding (in particular new anti-meutron fillers and also....EMP/HP microwave shielding for electronic components)
    4) Multispectral signature reduction (both in-built and through mass-produceable camo-coverage)

In the offensive department:

1) Improved medium caliber gun (40 mm or over)
    2) New type of medium caliber munitions, even better if telescopic (capable to engage ANY sub-MBT menace on and over the battlefield )
    3) Stand-off missiles with very high jamming immunity

In the mobility department:

1) Full amphibious capabilities
    2) Active suspension systems
    3) Composite transmission
    4) New generation engines (with high specific power and very low fuel consumption)

In ther vectronic department:

1) Multi sensor data unification
    2) Sensors working on very wide electromagnetic bands
    3) Capability to process indipendently data stream coming from third part assets
    4) Capability to guide indipendently reconnaissance UAVs

Therefore India don't need BMP-3/3M ,but it need a perspective IFV built on the same basis principles of BMP-3/3M : a machine designed to fight and win a major war against a very powerful enemy (BMP-3s and BTR-80s was intended and capable to let the bulk of Soviet mechanized infantry to transverse indipendently the English Channel from various points !)

I think superav is a good option for IA

Obviously not, here we talk of IFVs Wink

Amphibious capabilities in vehicles intended to travel at 60-70 km/h in enemy territory engaging and destroying enemy man power, vehicles, C4 bases, airfileds and radars and delivering, in the meantime, assault infantry squads to paralyze and take control of the most important strategic targets in the theatre is ALL ANOTHER THING in respect with a simple amphibious landing vehicle.
    It is not a case that US has canceled EFV.

Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  Sujoy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:38 pm

This is exactly where Rosoboronexport fails to show imagination .

For the FICV competition it has teamed up with the state run Ordinance Factory Board (OFB) . One of the other contender in this competition is almost knocked out . Now, this is a golden opportunity for Rosoboronexport but yet they fail to capitalize .

The MoD’s Secretary for Defence Production & Supplies also remains a Board-member of all the MoD-owned DPSUs, his/her loyalty will always be with the DPSUs . So the OFB + Rosoboronexport combination is clear favorite.

Rosoboronexport should have at least given a visual presentation of their FICV if not showcase a prototype with the promise that initially BMP 3 will be supplied and the FICVs would be supplied within a short period of time .

This is exactly where the US wins in India . US defense contractors will now tie up with DRDO so that they can participate in this project and make DRDO a partner in a upcoming US FICV project .

India can only use MBTs or amphibious infantry fighting vehicles like BMP 3 in the desert areas of the Western sector and a few areas of the Northern plain . Against China the high peaks of the Himalayas guarantee that MBTs and infantry fighting vehicles cannot be used . It's NOT without reason that China or India does NOT have any tank regiment in forward position in their borders . China intends to pulverise India's forward position with a barrage of MLRS fire supported by precision artillery fire and India intends to use NLOS - BM to blunt China's edge .

BMP3/FICVs are therefore exclusively to be used against Pakistan . This is exactly where Rosoboronexport needs to step up the plate and kill the competition before it starts. Now, that was the carrot , where is my stick ?

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

Mindstorm wrote:Therefore India don't need BMP-3/3M ,but it need a perspective IFV built on the same basis principles of BMP-3/3M : a machine designed to fight and win a major war against a very powerful enemy (BMP-3s and BTR-80s was intended and capable to let the bulk of Soviet mechanized infantry to transverse indipendently the English Channel from various points !)

Can you tell me what is the kind of protection level does BMP-3M offers.

Is it immune to small arms fire from all sides , the frontal protection which is stronger is it immune to 30 mm gun ? What about protection from mine how good is that ?

Mindstorm
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Mindstorm on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Can you tell me what is the kind of protection level does BMP-3M offers.

Is it immune to small arms fire from all sides , the frontal protection which is stronger is it immune to 30 mm gun ?

I image that you talk of resilience to KE penetrators.
    BMP-3 (in its first export version) is impenetrable by vast majority of 25mm and 30mm APFSDS rounds (for angles of incidence 0-30 degrees) for great part of its frontal projection.
    BMP-3M (always exportable version), with add-on armor shields and new laminated alluminium alloy is impenetrable by all type of 25 -30 mm APFSDS in its entire frontal projection and from 12,7 reinforced AP rounds all-around.

This factor was one of the main catalysing element triggering quick introduction of 35mm guns on several LAVs and extensive researchs on 50mm Supershot, CTA 40 and Super 40 rounds.

What about protection from mine how good is that ?

Very ,very limited (several design solutions work even against mine detonation resilience in BMP-3.
    BMP-3 was designed to render very diffcult (or even impossible) for enemy to plan minefield's placement ,through superbe tactical mobility amd full amphibious capability.
    Naturally that would be true in typical offensive/counteroffensive operations in a major war; in COIN operations, instead, where your BMP-3 would execute theirs daily patrols coming from well known HQ bases and on urban roads all change.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Pretty sure BMP-3 front was rated against 30mm AP, not APFSDS.

Mindstorm
    Captain
    Captain

Post  Mindstorm on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Pretty sure BMP-3 front was rated against 30mm AP, not APFSDS.

I image that you are not the person at which is necessary to explain the difference in denominations of acronyms between Western and Russian literature....do you know, forgiving this "little" detail, no Russian MBT would have been tested against an APFSDS round..... ever !!! Very Happy Very Happy

If you have instead some doubts on the figures involved you would be interested to graph at pag 7 Wink

http://www.kalasnyikov.hu/dokumentumok/cta.pdf

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 am

Very simply if 30mm could penetrate the BMP-3M reliably there would be no wide scale move to larger more powerful cannon calibres.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

I think the protection for BMP-3M is quite decent considering its generation but Mine Protection is important may be it was not part of BMP-3M design process.

Hopefully they will address that in Kurgents-25
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm

The design focus of the new generation Russian armoured vehicles is crew and troop safety.

Very simply you can't make a vehicle that is mine proof, the best they can aim for is a vehicle that protects the people inside it from the most common threats it is likely to face.

The problem is that people are not stupid... when the standard land mines fail to kill enemy soldiers then you start enhancing them with heavier charges or extra charges located around the primary charge. Eventually they will hit on an effective counter to any armour array.

At the end of the day any tracked vehicle is vulnerable to losing a track to even a relatively small mine, and once immobilised it is vulnerable till it can be recovered.

Just like APS systems improve armour without adding too much weight or design complication, active anti mine technologies like rollers and ploughs and even the use of systems like TOS to clear known mined areas will reduce the threat of land mines.

Built in electronic jammers to counter IEDs and explosive sensors can also reduce the threat too, but the threat can never be totally eliminated.

In Vietnam the VC used to wire up dud 1,000lb bombs as mines for anti personel and anti armour use... no vehicle could run over such a mine and protect its crew... unless it is unmanned.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:11 pm

GarryB wrote:The design focus of the new generation Russian armoured vehicles is crew and troop safety.

Probably also the reason why they went from 100 mm Gun to 40 mm one so as to get more space for crew comfort and protection.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Probably also the reason why they went from 100 mm Gun to 40 mm one so as to get more space for crew comfort and protection.

First of all we really don't know what gun they will go for in their IFVS... the likely weapons are a new 45mm telescoped round and an upgraded S-60 57mm round.

I rather suspect that they might retain the 100mm guns in some form and if they are replaced it will likely be by a more flexible weapon like the 120mm rifled gun mortar seen on the Vena and the armata BMPT model.

The large calibre gun will be rifled because its primary round will be HE and that is what it is for... a direct fire artillery vehicle.

At the moment there are three main types of IFV in Russian service... the BMP-1 with good HE firepower and good anti armour penetration with HEAT rounds but low ammo capacity, low rate of fire, limited elevation, and low muzzle velocity. They also have the BMP-2 with high rate of fire, high muzzle velocity, good ammo capacity, but lacking armour penetration performance against Bradleys and Warriors, and also lacking a powerful HE capacity against structures. And the third vehicle is the BMP-3 which has even better HE firepower than the BMP-1 with a more compact and effective HE round that can be stored more efficiently, with a reasonable rate of fire, but also with an auto cannon, so it is the best of both vehicles.

The new IFVs will need to be able to engage enemy IFVs which means 30mm is not powerful enough, so they need to change that. A good 45mm round with APFSDS rounds and also perhaps laser guided HE shells could possibly do a reasonable job of replacing both the 100mm and the 30mm but I suspect that they will also introduce a BMPT like vehicle to boost direct fire HE capacity with a rifled 120mm gun/mortar. It means maintaining... and actually increasing the direct fire HE capacity without introducing a new calibre that is flexible to use shells and standard mortar rounds (including NATO 120mm mortar rounds BTW).

It is all together possible they might keep some IFVS with the 100mm/30mm weapon combination simply because it is effective in operational environments where the enemy does not have significant armour... the 30/100mm weapons are cheap and available and stocks of ammo will be usefully used instead of newer expensive guided rounds.

Having IFVs with HE shells of 100mm or greater calibre means less reliance of MBTs for fire support and the greater elevation and low velocity means targets behind cover can be engaged using indirect fire more easily... the combination of higher muzzle velocity and lack of elevation range means MBTS are actually fairly restricted as to the targets they can hit... pretty much direct fire line of sight stuff.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 pm

I dont know Russia will so easily give up to 100mm capability being able to shoot guided ATGM at long distance.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 am

They already have... look at the BMP-2M upgrade with four fixed Kornet launchers.

If they are not going to add 100mm gun capability to a 45mm gun armed Kurganets then they will likely add 4-8 Kornet-EM launchers with 8.5km range against enemy armour and 10km range against softer targets and aircraft... which is rather better than any model 100mm laser guided GLATGM (Gun launched ATGM).

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

GarryB wrote:It is all together possible they might keep some IFVS with the 100mm/30mm weapon combination simply because it is effective in operational environments where the enemy does not have significant armour... the 30/100mm weapons are cheap and available and stocks of ammo will be usefully used instead of newer expensive guided rounds.

Having IFVs with HE shells of 100mm or greater calibre means less reliance of MBTs for fire support and the greater elevation and low velocity means targets behind cover can be engaged using indirect fire more easily... the combination of higher muzzle velocity and lack of elevation range means MBTS are actually fairly restricted as to the targets they can hit... pretty much direct fire line of sight stuff.

You are right they may retain 100 mm/45 mm dual gun capability has Kurgants-25 is also a bigger platform of 25 T and 7 wheel what can afford to have both 100 mm MG coaxiled with 45 mm Anti-Aircraft gun. Perhaps even external missile like 6-8 Kornets-E

I think todays ammo is much more powerful and even have intelligent round or fuses built into them so its possible that a smaller caliber ammo ( eg 57 mm ) can cause as much as damage as todays bigger 100 mm caliber gun
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 am

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I think if they do keep the 100mm rifled gun then it will be with a 30mm cannon because they compliment each other... one is a low velocity weapon with a large HE punch with a curved trajectory for landing rounds behind protection like houses or rock walls, while the other is a high velocity high rate of fire weapon useful against enemy light vehicles and infantry and aircraft.

A 45mm or 57mm weapon is much a larger weapon and the ammo is pretty big too and there will not be room for lots of 45/57mm rounds AND 100mm rounds too. 30mm rounds are not actually that small but take up rather less space.

45/57mm rounds should also have enough HE power to make the 100mm gun less useful.

I rather suspect that a possible choice might be to have BMPTs armed with 120mm gun/mortars in significant numbers within a brigade.

Remember that in an old brigade the BMP-3s offered significant direct and indirect fire power, while the APCs with HMGs (14.5mm) and light cannon (30mm) in the BTR and BTR A model APCs also offered supporting fire.

The new brigades will lose a lot of firepower with the replacement of the 100mm/30mm with 45/57mm guns so perhaps a compromise of some vehicles with 100mm/30mm armament and the rest with 45/57mm would be one option.

The old mix was largely created because BMPs had heavy armament, while the BTRs had light armament and armour, but in this case all the vehicles will be the same so the IFVs will have heavy armament (45/57mm and Kornet EM) while the light vehicles will have lighter weapons (30/14.5mm) the reduction in firepower could be countered by having a couple of platoons of BMPTs with 120mm rifled gun mortars which would more than replace the 100mm rifled guns as the 120mm has greater range and more powerful ammo, of a much wider variety and also more guided weapon options.

The 100mm round of the BMP-3 is a near perfect round for the role however as it has a large projectile with a small case which makes it compact and effective.

Hopefully the new modular vehicles will allow a range of weapons options to maintain flexibility as the 100mm rifled gun would be a very useful weapon in a range of environments against a range of targets.

Sujoy
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  Sujoy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm

NATO Armoured Vehicles Spec Sheet

AJ-47
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  AJ-47 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm

I think that buying the BMP-3M could be a good decision for India, but they need to do some changes to get the most from this vehicle.
    The main problem for India is the requirement to have the BMP-3 swim. The meaning of that is 25 ton vehicle that can’t have a good protection.

To solve that India has to have two vehicles:
    1. APC. - For that we need to take out the turret of the BMP-3, and replace it with Kliver turret but replace the 30mm gun with 14.5 HMG. By doing that we will separate the troops from the explosive ammo and the soldiers will be safer.
    2. ICV. - For that we will use the same BMP-3m, but only with 3 crew stuff and no dismount troops. By doing that we will keep the power of the BMP-3 but without put the troops in danger way.

I think that the 2 project that India has developed, the weapon carrier (tank destroyer) called NAMICA and an AIFV known as Abhai, are close to my way of thinking.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 26, 2017 1:44 am