Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Economy General News: #1

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Economy General News: #1

Post  macedonian on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 pm

OK guys, a bit controversial in today's PC'ness, but here goes:
    After meeting some (actually - quite a lot of) Russians while on a skiing holiday in Bulgaria, I now feel (quite strongly in fact) that how I felt before was right - and that perhaps "Democracy" isn't the "proper way" for Russia. And I also now feel that Putin is THE proper President for Russia (at this moment). Now, my opinion is not an academic one (not in the slightest), it's not supported by various researches and thesis, but you might say that it's been empirically proven, given the Russian ruling class and its citizenry in the past.
    Hope I didn't offend anyone as I also think that "Democracy" (well, at least the type of democracy as we know it today) isn't the proper system for Macedonia either.
    Not at all, perhaps some sort of "Meritocracy" (where people proven in their field rule the things in that particular field) would serve us much better?!

Just an opinion/observation though - hit me with your thoughts.

P.S.
    Is posting UI frowned upon here...or..is it OK?
     afro

_______
    sh-t, messed up on where to send the forum reply...
    but this is as good-a-place as any, I guess...

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 am

And ask any middle aged Bulgarian about Russia and he'll start the geobbels rhetoric about how Russians are "naturally incompetent, lacking superior European values and technology and will never improve unless they embrace European democracy". Seriously, I've had frequent discussions with a large amount of people here who define theselves as the intellegenstia  and almost all(especially the western immigrants) have such views. They instantly get a hardon upon hearing the words "EU" and "democracy".
    They also like to talk how the reason Bulgaria has so many Russian residents and tourists is because they hate putin and Russian living conditions. Looks like you proved them wrong.

I doubt the Macedonian Bulgarians have such opinions since they've gotten a lot less support and funding from western organisations( not like the EU Bulgarians got that but it was successfully disguised as "democratic reforms") and are more Serbian aligned.

Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Hannibal Barca on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:37 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:And ask any middle aged Bulgarian about Russia and he'll start the geobbels rhetoric about how Russians are "naturally incompetent, lacking superior European values and technology and will never improve unless they embrace European democracy". Seriously, I've had frequent discussions with a large amount of people here who define theselves as the intellegenstia  and almost all(especially the western immigrants) have such views. They instantly get a hardon upon hearing the words "EU" and "democracy".
    They also like to talk how the reason Bulgaria has so many Russian residents and tourists is because they hate putin and Russian living conditions. Looks like you proved them wrong.

And all this is true but should be attributed at 90% to communism and not Russian people.
    I mean communism is beyond a shred of a doubt the most ridiculous political system man ever invented.
    You can't really describe it. You can only experience it.
    I didn't experience it either but knowing the people came from Russia in the 90s and until VERY VERY recently,
    I mean my god! Only fellow communists and sub-Saharan immigrants are comparable.
    The level of decadence is staggering. Western Europe is in it's worst decline since 1054 and still the remaining Russian immigrants are further down,
    just living their European dream, my ass!

As of Russian people, communism aside, what can I say?
    I have nothing positive to say about modern Greeks, yet, if we had Russia we would dominate the universe with a hand behind the back!
    and this Slavs still straggling five centuries now to surpass Britain, a f@@ing tiny, poor, island!!!
    They really lack some qualities, I know that many other people, like Balkans for example, have by nature. Some street smarts attitude or a common sense or something.
    They also have some good qualities, no doubt, but I focus on the negative side here.

collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  collegeboy16 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:
    And all this is true but should be attributed at 90% to communism and not Russian people.
    I mean communism is beyond a shred of a doubt the most ridiculous political system man ever invented.
    You can't really describe it. You can only experience it.
    I didn't experience it either but knowing the people came from Russia in the 90s and until VERY VERY recently,
    I mean my god! Only fellow communists and sub-Saharan immigrants are comparable.
    The level of decadence is staggering. Western Europe is in it's worst decline since 1054 and still the remaining Russian immigrants are further down,
    just living their European dream, my ass!

As of Russian people, communism aside, what can I say?
    I have nothing positive to say about modern Greeks, yet, if we had Russia we would dominate the universe with a hand behind the back!
    and this Slavs still straggling five centuries now to surpass Britain, a f@@ing tiny, poor, island!!!
    They really lack some qualities, I know that many other people, like Balkans for example, have by nature. Some street smarts attitude or a common sense or something.
    They also have some good qualities, no doubt, but I focus on the negative side here.
    IMO communism aint that bad... it only turned to sh!t once the SU became embroiled with the west for world domination.
    Actually communism is behind the world's most rapid social developments, SU, PRC...
    Also, britain is already surpassed long ago... Besides in a few decades it would be a -stan country.  Twisted Evil 

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:06 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:And ask any middle aged Bulgarian about Russia and he'll start the geobbels rhetoric about how Russians are "naturally incompetent, lacking superior European values and technology and will never improve unless they embrace European democracy". Seriously, I've had frequent discussions with a large amount of people here who define theselves as the intellegenstia  and almost all(especially the western immigrants) have such views. They instantly get a hardon upon hearing the words "EU" and "democracy".

I doubt the Macedonian Bulgarians have such opinions since they've gotten a lot less support and funding from western organisations( not like the EU Bulgarians got that but it was successfully disguised as "democratic reforms") and are more Serbian aligned.

Russophobia at it's worst! If the Bulgarians you know believe that Russians are genetically pre-disposed to be incompetent, then ask a simple question..."Which country has a superior space program than Russia?"

...Keep in mind Russia has a superior Space program than any other country despite the disaster that was the 90's and the Yeltsin years. The next best space program (NASA) buys rocket engines exclusively from Russia to send rockets in to space, and they're only manned program they have left goes through the Soyuz rocket. Russia had nearly twice as many launches as the U.S., and over 6 times as many launches as the EU with it's empty rhetoric and theoretical cultural superiority. Let's keep this in context, Russia had more launches than China, India, the European Union, Japan, South Korea, and Ukraine combined!

Also tell the Russophobic Bulgarians that you know that the president of the European Union is not democratically elected, he's oligarchically hand-picked.

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 am

Just goes to show how 'open-minded' these people are. Intelligentsia, my ass...

KomissarBojanchev wrote:I doubt the Macedonian Bulgarians have such opinions since they've gotten a lot less support and funding from western organisations( not like the EU Bulgarians got that but it was successfully disguised as "democratic reforms") and are more Serbian aligned.

Better stop this s-it right now!!!
    Don't poison the thread with our Balkan crap.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Years ago I read, that Putin doesn't want a democracy in Russia, but he want that Russia become a republic. There is a big difference between democracy and republic and don't forget US founding fathers create America as republic and warn, that USA should never become a democracy. Democracy is a role of majority over minority, what is practically the role of capital over its citizens and as Socrates said, democracy lead to caos and destruction. On the other hand republic is a role of laws, which protect minority against evil will of majority. They suggest, that Putin should role in Russia for more than 20 years, that Russian citizens matured in their republican values and become responsible citizens to protect their country.

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 pm

medo wrote:Years ago I read, that Putin doesn't want a democracy in Russia, but he want that Russia become a republic. There is a big difference between democracy and republic and don't forget US founding fathers create America as republic and warn, that USA should never become a democracy. Democracy is a role of majority over minority, what is practically the role of capital over its citizens and as Socrates said, democracy lead to caos and destruction. On the other hand republic is a role of laws, which protect minority against evil will of majority. They suggest, that Putin should role in Russia for more than 20 years, that Russian citizens matured in their republican values and become responsible citizens to protect their country.

That's exactly how I feel (not only about Russia, but other countries as well).
    In my view - democracy only serves to raise the mediocrity level among the population make them excel less, and keep the intelligentsia down (as the percentage of the intelligentsia is far less than the 'common' folk). In a hypothetical scenario, if say a referendum was cast pro or con the construction of a:

1. Nuclear power station - everyone gets a vote, and the voices of scientists (on one hand) and/or environmentalists (on the other) get lost in the pool of votes.
    2. Monument, the votes of sculptors, historians and sociologists are lost among the majority too. The only way they could affect public opinion is via the media, which (at least where I've lived) is seriously biased...

So, again, some sort of meritocracy would work far better. Establish the rules which everyone needs to follow (Criminal Laws etc.) but have some sort of mechanism that would not allow the 'less professional, but more politically prone people' rise through the ranks...just as I'm typing and reading through my post, I realize that what I'm describing is in fact a Monarchy...NVM - back to the drawing board... Laughing 

Unless Russians feel that after the Romanov, a new dynasty of Vladimirovich would serve them better...LOL pirat 

____
    P.S.

Would be great if you could find the said article - would make an interesting read.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:15 pm

I mean communism is beyond a shred of a doubt the most ridiculous political system man ever invented. wrote:

When someone who has no idea about anthropology talks about economical systems.

For the record for you and others. Without communism we wouldn't exist in a larger society than 100+/-20 people per group and would still have a society of gatherers and hunters.

Only Communism within groups has given the groups to develope new professions for blacksmithing,trading,fishing and so on.

Communism in such groups was the reason people collected all the necessary resources and could produce "More-product" after a while which gave them time and free hands to develope jobs.
    No Communism = No society like today.

Years ago I read, that Putin doesn't want a democracy in Russia, but he want that Russia become a republic. There is a big difference between democracy and republic and don't forget US founding fathers create America as republic and warn, that USA should never become a democracy. Democracy is a role of majority over minority, what is practically the role of capital over its citizens and as Socrates said, democracy lead to caos and destruction. On the other hand republic is a role of laws, which protect minority against evil will of majority. They suggest, that Putin should role in Russia for more than 20 years, that Russian citizens matured in their republican values and become responsible citizens to protect their country. wrote:

Democracy doesn't exist today, its only the word that western countries love to print on their banner while beneath they are all controlled centralistic from one point.

Democracy won't work anyway, in todays time people have developed so many personal interests that it is easy to manipulate its own citizens.

There are groups of older people so i create a party that advertises shit the party self doesn't believe and doesn't want to fullfill just to get votes.
    Then there is another group of youngs so in germany now we have the "Pirates" that have basically no political programm for anything relevant but are nothing else but a trojan horse to spread all the undecided voters into different camps.
    Just in year 2013 we had 7 new parties all with cathy phrases and "political programms" all appeared from nowhere, even to blind people it was dubious.

Democracy will never work with large groups, its just a system to keep idiots being idiots in the believe they have power and are only to blame themselfs when something isn't working.
    If the west is so democratic why don't they implement everywhere democracy?
    Why not start democracy within a family? So kids would overrule any decision made by their parents.

DemoCRAZY not democracy just a new label for dictatorship.

Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Hannibal Barca on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 pm

I am referring to the two posts above Werewolf,

No, what you describe is closer to aristocracy. A system, very unstable in general cause it tends to become either democracy or monarchy but extremely effective when it happens that the balance stuck in the middle. It is pretty much what Chinese manage to sustain after the death of Mao with impressive success in general. I guess this is what Putin envisioned for Russia as well (and I add here that he already cloned their fascist economic model), but it is impossible to be attempted with such a low level of social coherence, low constitutional awareness and all this you very well described above.

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Werewolf wrote:DemoCRAZY not democracy just a new label for dictatorship.

I believe the proper term is DEMON-CRACY... Laughing

Hannibal Barca wrote:I am referring to the two posts above Werewolf,

There is always the 'Quote' button... Smile
    I agree with SOME of the things you wrote, will have to elaborate more on the matter later, as I need to go out now...

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Not just Russia but even India got significantly impacted with Rupee Devaluation and Slow Growth

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/burPSwwZ4JstNqkBGGWXCP/Economy-grows-45-in-fiscal-2013.html

With the revised GDP numbers, the size of the Indian economy now stands at $1.6 trillion in 2012-13 at the rupee’s Friday value of 62.66 against the dollar.

So from being a $2 Trillion Economy a year or two back   thanks to Rupee Fall and Low Growth we are now $1.6 Trillion Economy

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/govt-revises-2012-13-growth-downwards-to-4.5percent/1/202882.html

Per capita income at current prices is estimated at Rs 67,839 in 2012-13 as against Rs 61,855 in the previous year, a growth of 9.7 per cent as against an increase of 14.5 per cent during the previous year.

Our Per Capita was already low in BRICS and now India Per capita is also reduced to ~ $1085 compared to USD 1500

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Why did this occurred?

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Much has been done during 2013, I hope the pace will continue and grow russia 

83 medical facilities finished in 2013

130 kindergardens finished in 2013

Construction of Russian seaports

199 sports facilities

New agricultural enterprises (only the biggest ones)

200 medium and large new productions (51 launched with the participation of foreign investors, 134 built "from scratch")

New schools: 102

325 kindergardens finished in 2013

450 kindergardens finished in 2013 (numbers keep increasing) Very Happy

LINK

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Viktor wrote:Why did this occurred?

Rupee fell like any thing when Fed decided to withdraw QE or the threat to do so was done.

India has high Current Account Deficit and the growth is slowing down ......India also has high budget deficit in the world.

Rupee was 54.23 against USD in Jan 2013 ,  Today it is 62.50 in Jan 2014 
    http://www.rediff.com/business/slide-show/slide-show-1-rupee-vs-dollar-from-1990-to-2013/20130612.htm#13

All in All bad sign for Indian Economy till the next election is done and a new Government comes some time in May 2014

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Austin wrote:
    Viktor wrote:Why did this occurred?

Rupee fell like any thing when Fed decided to withdraw QE or the threat to do so was done.

India has high Current Account Deficit and the growth is slowing down ......India also has high budget deficit in the world.

Rupee was 54.23 against USD in Jan 2013 ,  Today it is 62.50 in Jan 2014 
    http://www.rediff.com/business/slide-show/slide-show-1-rupee-vs-dollar-from-1990-to-2013/20130612.htm#13

All in All bad sign for Indian Economy till the next election is done and a new Government comes some time in May 2014

I never understood India's economics. I tried to ask my wife what is going on, but I don't get a real answer. I don't get much answers from many. As an outsider, all I can say is that from what I see, is that the nation is too split. What I mean is, too many CM's are trying to have their own little power in their regions/provinces, and everyone is fighting for power (fighting in the sense of soft. Undermining each other). With the elections coming up, it seems that Congress is pooched and BJP will have authority. If they get authority, hopefully they will be able to unite the people. But I feel that the Muslim population of India will go bonkers over Modi being PM.

India has a recipe to have a massive economy and do better than most. They have a large population, large amount of skilled and unskilled labor (meaning cheaper wages), good universities, and a well developed tech field. Only issue I see is energy (need of oil), and so they need to import that. But so does China. I feel that Indian organizations (energy especially) are not as aggressive as China's and do not have many assets (oil wells lets say) outside of India. Maybe the dealings with Iran will help their country.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So it seems that the marketing of Sochi (sales of souvenirs) has proven quite good for Russia. Over a $1B in sales.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/46574/

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:24 am

user78  http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/46609/
    02/02/14 10:28:06

7. Although Russia Russia its reserves of "black gold" is almost behind the previous countries - 6% of world reserves, oil is already here can result in 22 years.

Again, these "22 years" ..    
    Only proven oil reserves (all categories) in Russia is estimated at 28.8 billion tons. Even with a record production of 523 million tonnes per year will be enough for 55 years.

In addition, Russia's largest reserves of shale oil in the world, which is now mined in full swing states:
    According to the U.S. Department of Energy, Russia has the largest reserves of shale oil - 75 billion barrels. For Russia and the United States (58 billion barrels), followed by China (32 billion barrels), Argentina (27 billion barrels) and Libya (26 billion barrels).

This is another 20 years of production at 523 million tons per year.

Huge oil reserves (undiscovered) are on our Arctic shelf. Here are rough estimates:
    In the Arctic, according to Russian experts, is now "hidden" about 80 billion tons of fuel and 80 percent of this volume constitute gas reserves.

another 30 years of oil production by 533 million tons per year.

And another huge untapped oil fields on the mainland:
    Major oil and gas regions of Russia and one of the largest oil producing regions of the world is the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug. Despite the fact that the county takes only 3% of the territory of Russia, he was for many years, provides 57% of oil production in the country. It opened more than 500 oil and gas deposits, reserves of about 20 billion tons. Probable oil reserves are estimated at 35 billion tons.
    Today KhMAO ranks first in Russia in terms of oil production. In 2011, the share of Yugra had more than 50% of total Russian production of hydrocarbons. All extracted oil - more than 10 billion tons - is only a third of what has yet to get here. A total reserves of oil in the bowels of the region could reach 100 billion tons

Another plus 70 years of production at a minimum.

Total oil will last us another 170-200 years.    
    Meanwhile, Russia is also one of the leaders in natural gas reserves, as well as in the development of nuclear energy.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Viktor wrote:

199 sports facilities

200 medium and large new productions (51 launched with the participation of foreign investors, 134 built "from scratch")

LINK

555 kindergardens finished in 2013 (numbers keep increasing) Very Happy

LINK

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Aggregate assets of Russian banks reached 57.4 trillion rubles   

http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/46611/

57.4 trillion= USD 1.6 Trillion

Asset growth in 2013 decreased significantly compared with the results of previous years. By the year-end assets of Russian credit organizations grew by 16% compared to 19% a year earlier and 23% in 2011. While in absolute terms was again achieved a record growth - 7.91 trillion rubles. against 7.88 trillion rubles. in 2012. Thus, on January 1, 2014 the amount of the total assets of Russian banks reached 57.4 trillion rubles., Representing 84.5% of GDP in 2013, compared with 80% a year earlier. This testifies to the growing contribution of the banking sector in the GDP, which is also confirmed by the fact that the value added industry "financial activities" in 2013 grew by 12% compared to 1.3% on average in other industries.

The slowdown in growth of bank assets is largely a result of slowing economic growth and a series of regulatory measures by the Central Bank of unsecured lending market cooling population, which acted engine of growth of the banking sector in recent years. Sharp slowdown in consumer lending is one of the major changes in trends of Russian banks in 2013.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 am

Reserve Fund of the Russian Federation in January rose by 7.38%, NWF - 6.17%

"As of February 1, 2014 the total volume of the Reserve Fund was 3 070.74 billion rubles, which is equivalent to 87.13 billion U.S. dollars <...> The total volume of the National Welfare Fund was 3 079.94 billion rubles, which is equivalent to 87.39 billion U.S. dollars, "- said in a statement.

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm

I read predictions, that in 2015, 2016 China will become the largest economy in the World, not because China will grow that much, but because US will fall that much, and that in time to 2018 Chinese currency backed by gold will replace US dollar as reserve currency. Euro and EU will crash too. How is Russia ready for those changes?

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 am

medo wrote:I read predictions, that in 2015, 2016 China will become the largest economy in the World, not because China will grow that much, but because US will fall that much, and that in time to 2018 Chinese currency backed by gold will replace US dollar as reserve currency. Euro and EU will crash too. How is Russia ready for those changes?

US will push economic control on others, and inflate their way out to victory. As well, China pretty much pinned the Yuan against USD, so that it rests below the USD, even if USD goes down, so that they can have continuous cheap products and people will buy it. For them, it works as they have huge control (as of right now) on industrial products. So Yuan cannot be reserve currency, especially since it is not a floating currency and tied to USD.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm

How Russia’s energy sector is eyeing a bigger game beyond the Olympics

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:00 pm

[quote="Viktor"]
    Viktor wrote:

199 sports facilities

LINK

555 kindergardens finished in 2013 (numbers keep increasing) Very Happy

LINK

698 kindergardens finished in 2013 (numbers keep increasing) Very Happy

LINK

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel