Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Prοject 22160 - Offshore Patrol Vessel

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Re: Prοject 22160 - Offshore Patrol Vessel

Post  hoom on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am

5th now due to be laid down on 25th Nov.
    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3806478
    Name will be Виктор Иванович Великий which translates as Victor the Great.
    Apparently not royalty but this guy https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9,_%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80_%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87 Hero of the Soviet Union as wharf commander at Nov 1943 Soviet landings at Kerch.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 am

hoom wrote:5th now due to be laid down on 25th Nov.
    Name will be Виктор Иванович Великий which translates as Victor the Great.
    Apparently not royalty but this guy https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9,_%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80_%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87 Hero of the Soviet Union as wharf commander at Nov 1943 Soviet landings at Kerch.

Great news, can't wait to see first one complete, they are lookers definitely.

Also, thank you hoom for posting something in Naval treads that is not related to Kuznetzov butthurt war, I really appreciate it. thumbsup

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  hoom on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:23 am

Yeah, I wish they'd at least get around to launching the first one so we can get a decent look at it.
    I'd like to think they are doing near full fit-out before launch so that in-service comes shortly after but I'm not hopeful.

miketheterrible
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  miketheterrible on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:27 am

If such a vessel is successful and capable, let us hope the mod decides to order more and ha e other shipyards doing work on it. Enough of these shipyards making their own types.

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:06 am

miketheterrible wrote:If such a vessel is successful and capable, let us hope the mod decides to order more and ha e other shipyards doing work on it.  Enough of these shipyards making their own types.

These are anti piracy/patrol vessels not dedicated warships. Only certain fleets need them, the Northern fleet doesn't require this class of ship. These are suitable for the BSF sure. The mainfleet's will get Karakuts which is more proper for them.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:55 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:If such a vessel is successful and capable, let us hope the mod decides to order more and ha e other shipyards doing work on it.  Enough of these shipyards making their own types.

These are anti piracy/patrol vessels not dedicated warships. Only certain fleets need them, the Northern fleet doesn't require this class of ship. These are suitable for the BSF sure. The mainfleet's will get Karakutswhich is more proper for them.

Buyan/Karakurt is exactly the role these ships will have in case of war with added bonus of having full sized AA system.

SeigSoloyvov
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:14 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

These are anti piracy/patrol vessels not dedicated warships. Only certain fleets need them, the Northern fleet doesn't require this class of ship. These are suitable for the BSF sure. The mainfleet's will get Karakutswhich is more proper for them.

Buyan/Karakurt is exactly the role these ships will have in case of war with added bonus of having full sized AA system.

In case of war anything that can be used will be used that however doesn't change what I said. Karakuts are being built to serve that purpose these ships are again Anit-piracy/patrol ships. Yes they can be used in time of war for war it's still a warship.

Just Russia will not build 20 of these, if that was the case ZERO reasons to build Karakuts or another ship. so the idea Russia would mass produce every specialized ship it makes is silly. This ships serves a limited purpose within the navy so its not going to be produced in mass numbers Frankly I'd be surprised if you see more then ten of these.

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  hoom on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:19 am

bonus of having full sized AA system

Thats one of the reasons I'm keen to see one launched: The export version pamphlet offers Sthil-1 which would give these very solid capability but most sources indicate the ones being built will have only a single Ghibka turret & not even any AK-630.

Edit: Uh I was failing to read the front part of the quoted sentence Embarassed
    I guess I'm over-eager to see one of these new classes other than 11356 using Sthil-1 since its an AA system with decent range & which definitely actually works.

Last edited by hoom on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

In case of war anything that can be used will be used that however doesn't change what I said. Karakuts are being built to serve that purpose these ships are again Anit-piracy/patrol ships. Yes they can be used in time of war for war it's still a warship.

Just Russia will not build 20 of these, if that was the case ZERO reasons to build Karakuts or another ship. so the idea Russia would mass produce every specialized ship it makes is silly. This ships serves a limited purpose within the navy so its not going to be produced in mass numbers Frankly I'd be surprised if you see more then ten of these.

I never said they will be replacing anything. They are anti-piracy vessels and that is the role they will be performing.

But in case of war they will be going after same targets as Buyans and Karakurts (land targets in 90% cases, Syria style)

miketheterrible
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  miketheterrible on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:09 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:

These are anti piracy/patrol vessels not dedicated warships. Only certain fleets need them, the Northern fleet doesn't require this class of ship. These are suitable for the BSF sure. The mainfleet's will get Karakuts which is more proper for them.

I mistaken the ship of course. Was thinking of another one.

These ships have the option (apparently) of Shtil-1. If that is the case, then this is one hell of a border patrol ship.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 am

Anti piracy vessels are urgently needed because having a custom designed ship that can operate on its own in open waters and also deal with pirates and other issues like that would free up the vessels they have been using that include destroyers like the Sovremmeny class vessels and Udaloy class that could be better used for other duties.

Sending a boat to operate off the coast of Africa looking for pirates and protecting Russian shipping it really needs to be able to defend itself... so decent armament as well as decent storage for endurance is a must.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Patrol ship "Victor Veliky" lay the plant in Tatarstan

KAZAN, November 23. /Offset. Damir Khairulin TASS/. Patrol ship of project 22160 "Victor the Great" lay on the shipyard. Gorky Zelenodolsk (Tatarstan) on November 25. This was reported by TASS first Deputy General Director of the plant Alexander Karpov.
    "On November 25, will be laid patrol ship "Victor the Great," is the 165th order. It is named after hero of the Soviet Union", - said Karpov. According to the interlocutor Agency, the head ship of project 22160 "Vasily Bykov", founded in February 2014, will be transferred to the customer in 2017.
    Patrol ships of project 22160 - ships modular, far sea zone. Designed by North design office for ship of the Navy of Russia.
    Court equipped with radio-technical and hydroacoustic armament and electronic countermeasures. Main propulsion of the ship is represented by installation type CODAG with capacity up to 25,000 kW. To increase search capacities and search and rescue operations, the ship provided basing 12-tonne helicopter.
    Six patrol ships of project 22160 have to join the Russian Navy until 2020.

Подробнее на ТАСС:

PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

I never said they will be replacing anything. They are anti-piracy vessels and that is the role they will be performing.

But in case of war they will be going after same targets as Buyans and Karakurts (land targets in 90% cases, Syria style)

exactly so why 2 hulls for 2 roles no t1 hull for 2 roles? I guess the whole discussion here is why to build 2 ships to two roles instead of 1 hull with 2 roles?  that´s why IMHO 20 22160 with corvette or patrol ship roles is better solution but this is just me.

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  hoom on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:46 am

And its been laid down http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2283636.html

Couple of shots of in-build ones but not looking very complete.
    Hoping for some better update pics on the first one which is supposed to be launching soon.

hoom
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  hoom on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 am

So I've thought the render used at the laying down was a reliable depiction of what's being built except you can see that the render here is this version with 1 window on the central section of the bridge & flat panel radars on the fat mast

But the in-build pics show 3 windows there

Which fits this model

And this render

Both without flat panel radars, a less plump mast & with an MR-123 firecontrol radar (for the gun?).

I'm inclined to suspect the use of the 1st render is just a boo-boo since it's very similar at a glance to the 2nd one, though might have thought they'd correct it by the 5th ship Suspect

Neither version (nor any of the models or drawings I've seen) has a Gibka launcher that I've been able to identify dunno

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:20 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 pm