Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

• Reply to topic

BZhRK "Barguzin" railway ICBM

GarryB
GarryB

BZhRK "Barguzin" railway ICBM - Page 8 Empty Re: BZhRK "Barguzin" railway ICBM

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:33 am

Procurement of the Barguzin was postponed to pump more money into the Sarmat. After Sarmat is put into the service Barguzin will be back.

With the elimination of the INF treaty it could be heavily expanded to include IRBMs too... in standard railcars...

That will cost too much $; cheaper to use ice-breaking tugs to tow missile barges up & down the wide Volga, Ob' & Yenisei rivers. This will also extend navigation for commercial shipping following them in winter months, benefiting the economy.

Spending money on rail links is a double whammy... you get your new military capability but you also boost logistics capacity too... it can be linked to local civilian settlements too to further improve the quality of life of the region a stumbling block being access and supply costs and regularity... having a rail link would massively improve things... taking stuff in and getting stuff out.

Ice breaking tugs with barges for out-sized or awkward loads, but day to day stuff would normally be air delivered which limits what can be sent either way... rail links will improve things... in a similar way that rail links in the US opened up the country and allowed expansion and growth...

Tsavo Lion
Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 am

Where it was possible to build w/o huge effort & investments, it was already done- they have the needed rail network already, & it's their main land transport. Big bases r already close to the railroads; many small 1s were closed since 1991.
The air transport is the most expensive & least developed; the water transport is the least expensive, & all 5 seas in the European part r connected via the internal waterways.
A lot cheaper to have sea/lake bottom ICBMs.
The NFT will still be adhered by the US in Europe (at least for the time being)- the reason for leaving it is China's C/BMs opposite Taiwan, Okinawa, Guam & mainland Japan.
Tsavo Lion
Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:38 am

Deputy Prime Minister said that Russia is unlikely to return to the Barguzin BZHRK project
PapaDragon
PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Tsavo Lion wrote:Deputy Prime Minister said that Russia is unlikely to return to the Barguzin BZHRK project

Not much need for it now that INF is gonzo
Hole
Hole

Post  Hole on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm

Put cruise missiles on trains.
PapaDragon
PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Hole wrote:Put cruise missiles on trains.

Trucks are cheaper and more mobile

Everyone is talking about missiles while ignoring how useful trucks are as launch platforms
Hole
Hole

Post  Hole on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Trucks, trains... who cares?

BZhRK "Barguzin" railway ICBM - Page 8 000130
PapaDragon
PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Hole wrote:Trucks, trains... who cares?

I am getting skeptical about this, they've been talking about it for over a decade and it's still nowhere near production or deployment
Isos
Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

I am getting skeptical about this, they've been talking about it for over a decade and it's still nowhere near production or deployment

Like I said once, this sort of weapon carrier would be a major step in geting relations with west ten times more bad than they are.

I doubt russian MoD want US to deploy similar thing at its borders. That would needs huge amount of time and money to track. Because US could also design it in matters of week and put tomahawks inside. Actually they already designed it during cold war.
PapaDragon
PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Isos wrote:
PapaDragon wrote:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f10/19/89/13/22/000130.jpg[/img]

Like I said once, this sort of weapon carrier would be a major step in geting relations with west ten times more bad than they are.

I doubt russian MoD want US to deploy similar thing at its borders. That would needs huge amount of time and money to track. Because US could also design it in matters of week and put tomahawks inside. Actually they already designed it during cold war.

They still need it for Bykov patrol ships and still nothing
GarryB
GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:15 am

I doubt russian MoD want US to deploy similar thing at its borders.

Have you been asleep?

News reports stating eastern european countries formerly in the warsaw pact buying all sorts of long range air launched guided missiles and SAMs that they never needed before...

The fact is that the west is the aggressor... the Russians don't win by outspending the west... because they can't... all they can do is take measures to ensure that the west knows no matter what it does the Russians will destroy them in return... so there is no chance for anyone to win. The Russians don't need to survive, they need to make it clear to the west that no matter what they do, how much they spend, that there is no chance for the west to survive the resulting backlash.

I suspect the main reason we have not seen the cargo ship container Club in Russian service is because it has a range of 300km... as per the INF treaty.

With the INF treaty gone they can put 4,500km range cruise missiles or ballistic missiles and they can put them on trucks or trains or ships or even inside transport aircraft...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 pm