Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Serbian Armed Forces

Jelena

Army base in south officially open

Post  Jelena on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Army base in south officially open

23 November 2009 | 09:51 -> 14:39 | Source: B92, Tanjug
    CEPOTINA -- The Serbian Army (VS) Base Jug (South), located near Bujanovac, has been officially opened today.

The base, known also as Cepotina after a nearby hill, was hailed as the largest and most modern of its kind in the region.

Serbia's top military and state officials attended the ceremony, including President Boris Tadić, Defense Minister Dragan Šutanovac, VS CoGS Lt. Gen. Miloje Miletić, PM Mirko Cveković, and Police Director Milorad Veljović.

"All Serbian citizens who wish for peace and stability in the region and for the best possible inter-ethnic relations, ought to be pleased with the opening of Base Jug. All those who do not wish for peace and who are involved in organized crime… should not be pleased," Tadić said during the ceremony today.

The president stressed that "the army is one of the key factors" for the state as it fights organized crime, and added that the base is located strategically, and offering "key guarantees" for security and peace in the south of Serbia.

The base, Tadić continued, is important for the overall state and army security capacity in many ways, but it also represents a development potential for the south, "since residents of the region will be able to find employment there".

He said that Jug would have an important role in the preparations for peace missions, and that the completion of works on the base – started six years ago – and those on Corridor 10, would provide for the region's equal development.

Serbia, the president, repeated, has two "key strategic goals", one being membership in the EU, and the other preservation of the country's sovereignty and territorial integrity in Kosovo.

"Serbia will never give up on either of these goals," said Tadić.

Defense Minister Dragan Šutanovac also addressed those present at the ceremony to say that the base had been MoD's largest and most important infrastructure project in the past decades.

He also stated that the ministry will strive to bring other military installations in Serbia to the same standard, and that the base's modern medical unit will be at the disposal of the local community.

The base is located some five kilometers south of Bujanovac in southern Serbia, near the Ground Safety Zone (GSZ), and the administrative line with Kosovo and Metohija.

Its location is some 90 kilometers from Bulgarian border and 30 kilometers from Macedonia.

The base covers 35 hectares of land, with more than 30 facilities built so far, able to accommodate almost 1,000 people.

According to the announcements from the Serbian Defense Ministry, the base could be expanded to another 65 hectares, in order to become a training center for peace operations.

Reactions

Faculty of Security professor Zoran Dragišić told B92 that the base has a strategic importance for Serbia, considering its location.

"The base has excellent location. It is in a place of greatest Serbian security problems and where greatest security challenges for Serbia can be expected. This is one of the key concrete steps related to the reform of the defense system," this expert believes.

According to him, the military installation's true significance "will depend on political circumstances".

"Considering the policy that is being conducted in Serbia I think that this base can be an important factor for the security of the whole region," said Dragišić.

The southern Serbian region, sometimes referred to as "the Preševo valley", is home to the country's largest ethnic Albanian minority outside of Kosovo, and was on the brink of war after the 1999 conflict in the province.

Local Albanian leaders do not approve of the new base.

Bujanovac municipal chief Saip Kamberi sees Base Jug as "a militarization of the region".

"From the beginning we stood against the idea to have special police and military forces in the region, therefore I do not think this base will contribute to its stability, there was no reason to militarize this region by opening a base, and create an illusion of the state of emergency," said he.

Preševo municipal president Ragmi Mustafa was even more critical, and said that ethnic Albanians will now be "surrounded on all sides by people in uniforms".

"Albanians from the Preševo valley will be occupied in their own homes. We believe that days of armed conflicts are behinds us and therefore there is no need for a military base in the Preševo valley," he was quoted as saying.

Albanians are trowing fits over our new military base Very Happy

CEPOTINA, 23. 11. 2009.
    The opening ceremony of VS Base Jug (South), near Cepotina Hill in southern Serbia (Tanjug)

CEPOTINA, 23. 11. 2009.
    Soldiers are seen at the newly opened VS Base Jug (South) near Cepotina Hill in southern Serbia (Beta)
    fredleander

Re: Serbian Armed Forces

Post  fredleander on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Jelena wrote:Albanians are trowing fits over our new military base Very Happy

Have things quieted down between Serbia and Kosovo now or are there powers in Serbia that are working actively to get Kosovo back?

Viktor

Serbian military

Post  Viktor on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 am

Just wanted to add the best video of S-125 shooting (music is pervertedly good)

250th missile brigade shooting practice at Šabla polygon August.2011
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 am

George1

Post  George1 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 am

Source: Army of Serbia does not have a single fighter jet in working condition

During the recent floods, doubts appeared in public whether the Army of Serbia has enough capacity to fulfill its third constitutional mission to help the population during natural disasters, but the actual condition of the combat equipment raises the question of whether the Army of Serbia can perform its first duty – defense of the country.

A source of Beta agency, close to the Air Force command confirmed the report of Serbian daily Politika that the Army of Serbia does not have a single fighter in working condition because batteries for MiG-21 and MiG-29 were not purchased from Russia.

Although it is a purchase of the assets that cost tens of thousands of euros per set, a delay in the purchase occurred not only because of the lack of money, but also because of “very rigid and bureaucratized system” that indefinetly prolongs the procurement, although even Russian squadrons, that use MiG-29, purchase batteries on the civilian market.

However, the same source claims that the situation in aviation is so difficult that it goes beyond the issue of procurement of batteries, but threatens to cause elimination of an entire corps due to the lack of aircrafts, fuel, spare parts, and even trained personnel.

Although on paper Army of Serbia has two aviation brigades stationed in Batajnica, Kraljevo and Nis, and a dozen types of aircrafts and helicopters in use, besides Gazelle helicopters, all other types of aircrafts do not fly at all, or the maintenance is being performed only on few of them, insufficient even for the basic flight training.

Fighter Aviation stopped flying last month, but even before that the situation was not much better. Despite the fact that there are dozens of MiG-21 and MiG-29 on the Batajnica airport, in reality only three MiG-21 aircrafts are active (two single seat versions and one two-seater) and three MiG-29. Before the crisis with the batteries their activities were limited only to basic maintenance and attendance in air defense system tests, which are currently not performed, probably for the first time after World War II.

The other MiG-21 aircrafts are not flying because of the expiration date of the producer – 30 years since the introduction to armament. Two MiG-21 had an extension of the period for another year, or two years, with assistance of the representatives of the manufacturer from Russia, but one of them will pass the expiry date as early as next week, after which it will be permanently grounded.

Although it has four MiG-29, left after NATO bombing in 1999, Serbia has rarely used more than three aircrafts at the same time, despite the repair that was done a few years ago.

Fighter Aviation of the Army of Serbia has aircrafts Orao and Supergaleb, but again only on paper, because Orao aircrafts have not flown for more than half a year. After the crash of the aircraft Orao in Mrcajevci, in mid-November 2013, all aircrafts of the this type were grounded. The analysis of the crash and eventual system repairs of the other aircrafts have not yet been performed, so the aircrafts remain grounded.

A few days ago one Orao two-seater flied, but this was not an aircraft from the unit, but an aircraft that has spent few years in repairing, so now flight tests are being performed. As for the aircraft G-4 Supergaleb, Army of Serbia has about a dozen aircrafts of this type, but the problem is that announced modernization of them is being prolonged for years, as well as digitalization that should enable their usage until 2020 and training of the future pilots for modern aircrafts. In fact, with current possibilities and composition of the instrument panel, which are only analog, future pilots can not be trained for modern aircrafts which only have digital multipurpose instruments. Therefore it was decided to carry out the modernization of the aircraft, especially the cockpit, but the deadline for tendering for the job expired at the end of 2008.

The basic trainer aircraft at the moment is still Utva-75, which is at the end of its resources, and which should already be out of use. Instead of it Lasta 95 should be introduced, but the introduction of the aircraft is still delayed because the planned changes in the construction have not been carried out. It was estimated that these changes would prevent the repetition of the crash in which Major Goran Savic was killed on September 26 2012.

The situation is not much better in the transport component of the aviation because at this moment Serbia has only two operational An-26 aircrafts. However, repair resource is expiring this year on one of the aircrafts, and next year on the other one. Although both aircrafts could still be repaired, the budget does not include funds for it, so their fate is uncertain. As for helicopters, which were very actively used during recent floods, their condition is very difficult both in terms of numbers and in terms of age. Army of Serbia uses total of eight tranasport helicopters – two Mi-17 and six older Mi-8. The average age of Mi-17 helicopters is 24 years, while the youngest Mi-8 is 34 years old.
    Battalion0415

Post  Battalion0415 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Serbien have 20000 soldiers in Ground Forces + 4000 man in Air Force of their Armed Forces - Wiki.
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:23 am

Battalion0415 wrote:Serbien have 20000 soldiers in Ground Forces + 4000 man in Air Force of their Armed Forces - Wiki.

You wipe your ass with every thread here. What is it with you?
    NickM

Post  NickM on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 am

George1 wrote:Source: Army of Serbia does not have a single fighter jet in working condition

Not surprising. The Serbs suffered heavily at the hands of NATO in the Kosovo war. More than 10,000 Serbian army regulars were killed and the major portion of their air force was wiped off.

Even today that country is in complete ruins and unemployment is rife. A number of Serbs are therefore forced to work in the UK. There is a large population of migrant Serb workers in London.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:34 am

NickM wrote:
    George1 wrote:Source: Army of Serbia does not have a single fighter jet in working condition

Not surprising. The Serbs suffered heavily at the hands of NATO in the Kosovo war. More than 10,000 Serbian army regulars were killed and the major portion of their air force was wiped off.

Even today that country is in complete ruins and unemployment is rife. A number of Serbs are therefore forced to work in the UK. There is a large population of migrant Serb workers in London.

Someone has no idea about 1999 NATO aggression, the bombing campaign was a major bullshit without singificant results due the massive and clever use of Serbian dummies so US aggression ended up not capable to comprimise Serbias military strength that is why after a while they started targeting purposely civilians, hospitals, trainstations, TV stations, infrastructure and even chinese embassy. The jets are not in operatable conditions because they have no money to keep them operatable which is also result of US aggression.
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 pm

galicije83

Post  galicije83 on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 am

For all one u came from US and other NATO countries.

I was member of Yugoslav Army in 1999. I was in 125th brigade, only brigade in our army who get after the Kosovo war in 1999. heroic medal for participation in that war for herosim in same war.

We lost less then 500 soldiers in that war, and most of them was killed by albanians terrorists not by NATO bombs. Losses in the military technique were minimal, we lost just 15 tanks, 8 planes MiG 29s, rest losses ate irrelevant.

I was there when NATO troops came in My country, yours officers was speechless when they see what we have from hardware after bombing stops and when we start withdrawing from Kosovo (Serbia).

After 2000 and 5th October our democratic qovernment destroyed our army by order of the USA.
    kvs

Post  kvs on Sat May 02, 2015 5:20 pm

galicije83 wrote:For all one u came from US and other NATO countries.

I was member of Yugoslav Army in 1999. I was in 125th brigade, only brigade in our army who get after the Kosovo war in 1999. heroic medal for participation in that war for herosim in same war.

We lost less then 500 soldiers in that war, and most of them was killed by albanians terrorists not by NATO bombs. Losses in the military technique were minimal, we lost just 15 tanks, 8 planes MiG 29s, rest losses ate irrelevant.

I was there when NATO troops came in My country, yours officers was speechless when they see what we have from hardware after bombing stops and when we start withdrawing from Kosovo (Serbia).

After 2000 and 5th October our democratic qovernment destroyed our army by order of the USA.

Serbia got the Maidan treatment from Uncle Sam the blood sucker. After 2004 Ukraine also had its army rendered useless by the Orange
    vermin and now that is coming back to bite them in the a**.

The Empire is never happy with any compromise from its vassals. Serbia's pro-Empire regime can bend over all it wants but Serbs will
    still be victimized. I am sorry that the f*cking west takes out its hate on Serbs because it can't take it out on Russians (although it
    is trying really hard). I followed the events of the 1990s closely and it became clear that the west (i.e. NATO, I don't consider Latin
    America to be part of the west) was de facto the successor of the Reich. The arming of the Croats by "peaceful" Germany in a direct
    continuation of the policy of the Nazis, the support for the political descendants of the SS Divisions, just like in the case of Ukraine where the
    Bandera zealots get full NATO support, and so on. NATO's behaviour is overwhelming evidence of its true nature.

cheesfactory

Post  cheesfactory on Sat May 02, 2015 8:06 pm

galicije83 wrote:For all one u came from US and other NATO countries.

Hi.
    Interesting, where you were stationed when there is no secret? In which unit you were?
    Greets
    galicije83

Post  galicije83 on Sat May 02, 2015 8:44 pm

I was in 125th motorized brigade from town in Kosovo and Metohija called Pec. We defend Kosare outpost from 9th April to 10th Jun 1999. My brigade have biggest casualties in that war among all units of Yugoslav Army. We lost 108 men (18 officers and NCOs, 50 regular troops, 13 reservist and 24 volunteers).

I was wounded in that battle for outpost Kosare in late May. But wound was light and i was back to the my unite after 3 days spend in hospital.

That is all i can tell u about my brigade and my unite in that brigade.

cheesfactory

Post  cheesfactory on Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi
    Thats all? You have not said a word about your unit. It is no secret... On the direct frontlines at Kosare, we had 2th Battailon of the 125th (was in charge from karaula Morina to Djeravice, approximately in the middle was karaula Košare), a small Company of the 72th, a small Company of 63th and three volunteer platoons (lot of Russians and serbs/peoples from my area). You were so in 2th Battaiilon? Good chance that we know each other personally...In which hospital you were for three days?
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:38 am

sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:58 am

Seems that Serbian defense industries are on the ball. I did always like Serbia's tank upgrade potentials. The M-2001 (T-90 style tank) was quite nice. This looks far better. Would like to see more of it and even in service. Possibly fantastic upgrade for current T-72's and M-84 tanks.
    Book.

Post  Book. on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:25 pm

EDePro unveils the new SPIDER anti-armor guided missile system
    International Fair of Armaments and Defence Equipmen 23 - 26 June 2015 Belgrade, Serbia

EDePro's range of missiles has been officially enlarged at PARTNER 2015 exhibition with the addition of the new Spider guided missile system. EDePro's new Spider is a fiber optic guided "man in the loop" tactical missile capable to reach targets at range up to 9 km.

The Spider missile system is graded as a tactical NLOS system for back up of infantry action whose primary device is modern guided projectile with its own propulsion. Spider system is designed for battlefield isolation and anti-armor combat at distances up to 9 km.

The missile is equipped with an imaging infrared seeker. The missile uses a tandem warhead – two shaped charges, a precursor warhead to detonate any explosive reactive armor and a primary warhead to penetrate the underlying armor. The Spider missile tandem warhead can penetrate up to 1000 mm RHA (rolled homogeneous armor).

Spider missile is powered by a solid proppellant boost engine (2400N of thrust) during booster phase and by a solid propellant sustainer engine (240N) for the main propulsion. During booster phase, the Spider missile reachs a flight speed of 200 m/s.

It has a maximum range of 9 km. It has a total length of 1.8 m a body diameter of 0.14 m. The missile has a weight of 45 kg at launch and 35 kg in flight. The Spider missile inertial opening main wings provide compact deployment into launching container set.

The missile is stored in a launch canister, which provides storage for fifteen years without preventive maintenance. Mounted on its launch platform, the Spider missile is ready to fire.

The launch platform can be integrated on different systems as ground vehicle, small ship or helicopter, depending on user request. According to EDePro's official, the Spider is currently adapted to be fitted on aerial platforms such helicopters for air-to-air combat use.

EDePro new Spider guided missile showcased at PARTNER 2015

http://www.armyrecognition.com/partner_2015_news_online_show_daily_coverage/partner_2015_edepro_unveils_the_new_spider_guided_missile_system_32406153.html

Serbia NLOS missle nice
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:27 pm

sepheronx wrote:Seems that Serbian defense industries are on the ball.  I did always like Serbia's tank upgrade potentials.  The M-2001 (T-90 style tank) was quite nice.  This looks far better.  Would like to see more of it and even in service.  Possibly fantastic upgrade for current T-72's and M-84 tanks.
    This wouldn't be compatible with older chassis... ie it is a new vehicle and not an upgrade. 

Possibly a few test chassis for the Vihor of which this tank is built, could be used (lengthed w/ an extra road wheel).

That ATGM looks pretty nice, but what do they mean by NLOS (I know what that stands for but fiber optic guided typically wouldn't match up with it).
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Seems that Serbian defense industries are on the ball.  I did always like Serbia's tank upgrade potentials.  The M-2001 (T-90 style tank) was quite nice.  This looks far better.  Would like to see more of it and even in service.  Possibly fantastic upgrade for current T-72's and M-84 tanks.
    This wouldn't be compatible with older chassis... ie it is a new vehicle and not an upgrade. 

Possibly a few test chassis for the Vihor of which this tank is built, could be used (lengthed w/ an extra road wheel).

That ATGM looks pretty nice, but what do they mean by NLOS (I know what that stands for but fiber optic guided typically wouldn't match up with it).

I am pretty sure I read it as a deep upgrade to M84. And it wouldnt surprise me as I seen the PUkrainians lengthen, highten and strengthen T-62 and T-64 chassis.

If not, and it is brand new all around, I am more impressed with Serbian defense industry than any other.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:58 pm

It is possible for it to be an upgrade, but it would be very tough to actually build it... The hull and chassis is ba lengthed version of the M-90 Vihor's, which itself was already a significant modification of the M-84. 

Some is new, some is old.
    Book.

Post  Book. on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Mike E wrote:That ATGM looks pretty nice, but what do they mean by NLOS (I know what that stands for but fiber optic guided typically wouldn't match up with it).

Hello mike

It kind like spike javelin
    Wifi comm hitec but can jam
    I think fiber optic ok

Last edited by Book. on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh ok... So basically fire and forget, that's impressive for such a small industry.
    Book.

Post  Book. on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:10 pm

UAE investments in Serbia
    An agreement worth up to $200mn was signed between the Serbian arms company Yugoimport SDPR and the UAE’s Emirates Advanced Research and Technology Holding (EARTH) at the International Defence Exhibition in Abu Dhabi last year.

A source in Serbia told MEE the investment relates to the Serbian missile system ALAS (Advanced Light Attack System), which is a “multipurpose anti-armour weapon with effective range up to 60km”. The source said the UAE is interested in these missiles because “they should be able to destroy all existing models of tanks in the world”.

The UAE is the fourth largest arms importer in the world, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, and spent over $19bn on military equipment in 2012. With a national population of fewer than one million the UAE, in terms of arms per capita, is now widely viewed as being the most heavily armed nation on the planet.

The UAE-Serbian defence relationship is becoming increasingly close, according to the Serbian source, who said “initial forms of cooperation have been established at the level of military security agencies, military police and special units, and in the fields of information and communication technologies and cyber defence”.

While the source said the UAE is primarily interested in Serbia’s burgeoning defence industry, the Emiratis have also made numerous other investments across several industries.

One of the most prominent deals has been Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways buying a 49 percent stake in Serbia’s lossmaking JAT Airways in August 2013. A new company was born out of that investment, Air Serbia, with the stated aim of creating an eastern European transportation sub-hub.

- See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uaes-shadowy-dealings-serbia-44700108#sthash.eyqYD9Vs.dpuf

UAE invest Serbia rocket

New R&D money here

Book.

Post  Book. on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Kvadrat-ML 2K12-ML new Serbian upgraded version of Soviet-made 2K12 KUB air defense system
    International Fair of Armaments and Defence Equipment 23 - 26 June 2015 Belgrade, Serbia

Currently, the Serbian army uses the Soviet-made SA-6 Gainful (2K12 KUB) as standard air defense missile system. At Partner 2015, the International Defense Exhibition in Belgrade, the Serbian Defense Company Litaktak presents an upgraded version of the standard SA-6 under the name of Kvadrat-ML or 2K12-ML.

The upgraded 2K12-ML Surface-To-Air (SAM) System (Kvadrat-ML) features improved performance and extended functional capabilities due to new algorithms of data processing and displaying, digital signal processing with software based MTI and automatic data readout and processing. 2K12-ML is offered as the upgraded follow-on to 2K12M1.

The new 2K12 upgrade is able to detect and destroy low-flying targets including VLO (“stealth”). Improved operation in jamming conditions, in presence of reflections from underlying surface.

Equipment is designed to continuously operate for 48 hours with one hour rest time;
    All components, panels, units and modules are designed as replaceable units and can be easily replaced with spare ones.

System provides automatic operational monitoring and functional check. Checks are performed each time Engagement Radar Vehicle starts or at any time as requested by operator.

System is equipped with the simulator enabling training of combat crews in realistic conditions including simulation of ECM (Electronic countermeasure) applied by the enemy.

The new system is able to detect aircraft at a maximum altitude of 7 km to a maximum range 100 km. It can also detect cruise missile at a maximum altitude from 3 to 7 km at a maximum range of 25 km. The 2K12-ML can destroy target from a minimum range of 3.4 km to a maximum range 25 km with an altitude from 250 m to 14 km.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/partner_2015_news_online_show_daily_coverage/kvadrat-ml_2k-12-ml_new_serbian_upgraded_version_of_soviet-made_2k12_kub_air_defense_system_12306153.html

Good for ME army update

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 am