Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Share

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1779
    Points : 1819
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  franco on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:19 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:BTRs have better sea keeping properties than heavier BMPs, plus the naval infantry are the poor second cousins... they will reportedly get their own model Kurganets adapted for sea keeping.

    I remember them mentioning first 2-3 years ago how specialised version of BMP3 was made for them, later they stopped talking about it and these modernised BTR80s started appearing instead. Yeah i heard about Kurg 25 based vehicle for them but till it comes they should do something as stopgap solution coz their armor looks quite sad i must admit, they seem always being pushed aside.

    Those in the West appear to be getting the BTR82AM first.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:26 pm

    franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:BTRs have better sea keeping properties than heavier BMPs, plus the naval infantry are the poor second cousins... they will reportedly get their own model Kurganets adapted for sea keeping.

    I remember them mentioning first 2-3 years ago how specialised version of BMP3 was made for them, later they stopped talking about it and these modernised BTR80s started appearing instead. Yeah i heard about Kurg 25 based vehicle for them but till it comes they should do something as stopgap solution coz their armor looks quite sad i must admit, they seem always being pushed aside.

    Those in the West appear to be getting the BTR82AM first.

    Yes, those are refubrished BTR80s to the level of BTR-82A. And their designation is BTR82AM. They are easy to recognise they have welded swim barrier at the front.

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1779
    Points : 1819
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  franco on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:33 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:BTRs have better sea keeping properties than heavier BMPs, plus the naval infantry are the poor second cousins... they will reportedly get their own model Kurganets adapted for sea keeping.

    I remember them mentioning first 2-3 years ago how specialised version of BMP3 was made for them, later they stopped talking about it and these modernised BTR80s started appearing instead. Yeah i heard about Kurg 25 based vehicle for them but till it comes they should do something as stopgap solution coz their armor looks quite sad i must admit, they seem always being pushed aside.

    Those in the West appear to be getting the BTR82AM first.

    Yes, those are refubrished BTR80s to the level of BTR-82A. And their designation is BTR82AM. They are easy to recognise they have welded swim barrier at the front.

    Not much sense in making new BTR82's when the Boomerang is almost ready to go into production.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:36 pm

    franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    franco wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:BTRs have better sea keeping properties than heavier BMPs, plus the naval infantry are the poor second cousins... they will reportedly get their own model Kurganets adapted for sea keeping.

    I remember them mentioning first 2-3 years ago how specialised version of BMP3 was made for them, later they stopped talking about it and these modernised BTR80s started appearing instead. Yeah i heard about Kurg 25 based vehicle for them but till it comes they should do something as stopgap solution coz their armor looks quite sad i must admit, they seem always being pushed aside.

    Those in the West appear to be getting the BTR82AM first.

    Yes, those are refubrished BTR80s to the level of BTR-82A. And their designation is BTR82AM. They are easy to recognise they have welded swim barrier at the front.

    Not much sense in making new BTR82's when the Boomerang is almost ready to go into production.

    That we shall see, i dont belive anything till i see them rolling from the production line, and even if/when they do, naval infantry will again be the last to get them. What i am saying is that they should deliver them more of these refubrished BTR80 models, coz look what they are using on the video, its kinda sad.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15490
    Points : 16197
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  GarryB on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 am

    If they do get landing ships the least they can have is dedicated troop transports in the form of Kurganets...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:34 am

    GarryB wrote:If they do get landing ships the least they can have is dedicated troop transports in the form of Kurganets...

    Hopefully they do, i feel abit sad when i see those PT76 and BTR60s... Kurganets in form of light tank with 120mm gun, mortar carrier and APC/IFV on Kurganets platform would greatly improve their performance.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:33 pm

    About 1,000 Russian Marines begin live firing practice on Caspian

    Over 100 pieces of military hardware are involved in the firing practice

    MOSCOW, September 10. /TASS/. About one thousand Marines of Russia’s Caspian Flotilla have begun live firing practice, which is part of the surprise combat readiness checks of Russia’s military units in the Central Military District declared earlier this week, Colonel Gennady Gnezdilov, deputy chief of the Russian Navy’s coastal forces said on Thursday.

    "The Marines have begun a number of control measures, including live firing practice with the use of standard small arms and weapons mounted on combat vehicles, tactical operations and combat vehicles’ drive tests across rugged terrain, Gnezdilov said.

    He said more than 100 pieces of military hardware were involved in the firing practice.

    According to earlier reports, about 40 naval and support ships of the Caspian Flotilla left for high seas. Some Marines were moved to the artillery proving ground Pesko and Adanak. A total of 3,000 troops and 120 pieces of military equipment are involved in the combat readiness check on the Caspian.

    The surprise combat readiness checks in the Central Military District began last Monday, with aviation from other military districts, airborne troops and military transport aviation taking part. All in all the checks encompass 95,000 troops, 7,000 pieces of military hardware on the ground, and 170 aircraft.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

    Russia's Northern Fleet Arctic brigade lands Marines on Kotelny Island for first time

    More than 230 servicemen from the Arctic brigade and 30 pieces of wheeled and tracked vehicles were landed on the Arctic island

    MURMANSK, September 15. /TASS/. A group of Russian Northern Fleet warships practised an amphibious Arctic landing exercise on Tuesday, the fleet press office told TASS.

    The Northern Fleet's Georgy Pobedonosets and Kondopoga large amphibious assault ships reaching Russia’s New Siberian archipelago on Monday, landed marines on Kotelny Island on Tuesday. Arctic brigade units took part in an amphibious operation of this kind for the first time.

    "The exercise in amphibious landing onto rough terrain started with the support of shipborne aircraft. Two Kamov Ka-27 [NATO reporting name: Helix] shipborne helicopters took off from the large antisubmarine ship Severomorsk to transport advance parties to the western shore of Kotelny Island," the press office said.

    Then the Georgy Pobedonosets started to land amphibious troops. The ship arrived at the landing site and offloaded vehicles, equipment and personnel. The Kondopoga was the second to land marines on Kotelny Island.

    More than 230 servicemen from the Arctic brigade and 30 pieces of wheeled and tracked vehicles, including articulated tracked amphibious snow and swamp-going vehicles with high cross-country ability and MT-LBV multipurpose tractors, were carried to Kotelny Island during the exercise.

    Quad bikes recently fielded with the Arctic brigade will be tested in harsh conditions of the Arctic Ocean islands for the first time.

    After fighting for amphibious landing and securing positions on the shore, the Arctic brigade’s units moved inland towards the base camp.

    During the ships’ stay off the New Siberian archipelago, they will have to conduct all-arms forces’ exercise to protect the archipelago and the Russian Arctic coast, the press office said.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:00 am

    Over 1,000 Marines Participate in Landing 'Attack' in Russia's Far East

    Russian marines used advanced reconnaissance and missile systems to liberate the coast from "terrorists".

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The Russian Pacific Fleet held assault landing exercises in the Primorsky Territory involving over 1,000 marines, 10 warships, as well as planes and helicopters, the spokesman of Russian Defense Ministry’s Eastern Military District said Monday.

    "According to the drills' scenario, the coast was captured by simulated terrorists. The Pacific Fleet marine units were dispatched on large landing ships to eliminate the 'enemy,'" Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov said.

    He added that during the exercises, marines successfully used advanced reconnaissance and missile systems enabling troops to destroy targets within their area. Troops also used new weapons and unmanned aerial vehicles.

    Over 80 units of military and special equipment, about 10 warships and support vessels, aircraft and helicopters of military transport, army and attack aircraft participated in the drills.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151019/1028729883/russian-marines-drills.html#ixzz3oziyWj2G


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 am

    Black Sea Fleet marines return to permanent base after tour of duty in Syria

    More:
    http://tass.ru/en/defense/847234


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am

    Two photos of Russian Marines in Syria. Can anyone identified the type of their weapons?
    One is Dragunov sniper rifle with a wooden handguard





    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:58 am

    George1 wrote:Two photos of Russian Marines in Syria. Can anyone identified the type of their weapons?
    One is Dragunov sniper rifle with  a wooden handguard




    AK103 i belive and PKM.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am

    Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:



    A hybrid solution if I ever seen one, 100/30 combo armament like a BMP-3/BMD-4, side applique armor like a Kurganetz-25, wheels most likely derived from Boomerang-25, 1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family, plus a transformable body to reduce drag in the water. It'll have a 3-man crew, and hold 10 paratroopers, have top speeds on land up to 55 km/h, and 37 km/h in the water, landing ships will be able to deploy soldiers 40-60 km's away from coasts:

    platform BMMP

    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1516
    Points : 1558
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:

    It'll have a 3-man crew, and hold 10 paratroopers, have top speeds on land up to 55 km/h, and 37 km/h in the water, landing ships will be able to deploy soldiers 40-60 km's away from coasts:


    not bad, I wonder why wheeled platform - to easier achieve high speed  in water?

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15490
    Points : 16197
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 am

    Wheeled vehicles are cheaper to operate and to buy than vehicles with tracks, and while tracked vehicles can operate over more varied terrain wheeled vehicles can be quite comparable and offer much better mine resistance in the sense that a small mine that destroys one wheel will not immobilise the vehicle yet that same mine would sever a track and fully immobilise a tracked vehicle.

    If you are talking about two vehicles in the same weight class (25 tons), where one is tracked and one is wheeled then the wheeled vehicle will have less internal capacity because the wheel arches take up more internal space, but the greater mobility potential on roads and much lower operating costs and higher road speeds make wheeled vehicles very attractive... assuming protection and firepower are similar it is cheaper and easier to go for the wheeled vehicle.

    In the past the choice has been between the BTR and the BMP but in that case the BTR has rather less armour and rather less fire power, yet the navy still chose the BTR often because of reduced costs and acceptable mobility.

    I remember a US expert given the chance to drive around a BTR-60 and he described it as being the ultimate RV (recreation vehicle).

    8 wheel drive plus the ability to change the tire pressure to improve traction on soft ground make it a very capable off roader, but there are conditions where even it will get stuck... but then even tracked vehicles get stuck from time to time...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:

    Post  Militarov on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:56 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:



    A hybrid solution if I ever seen one, 100/30 combo armament like a BMP-3/BMD-4, side applique armor like a Kurganetz-25, wheels most likely derived from Boomerang-25, 1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family, plus a transformable body to reduce drag in the water. It'll have a 3-man crew, and hold 10 paratroopers, have top speeds on land up to 55 km/h, and 37 km/h in the water, landing ships will be able to deploy soldiers 40-60 km's away from coasts:

    platform BMMP

    "1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family" - bad idea.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 am

    so this is a proposed BMP-3 with wheels for Marines? I dont like that idea.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3684
    Points : 3796
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:49 pm


    Saw this over a year ago and forgot all about it until magnumcromagnon posted that pic.

    You guys have no idea what a pain in the ass tracking this thing down was!!!    angry  cry

    Dec 2014:


    http://twower.livejournal.com/1530141.html

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:12 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:



    A hybrid solution if I ever seen one, 100/30 combo armament like a BMP-3/BMD-4, side applique armor like a Kurganetz-25, wheels most likely derived from Boomerang-25, 1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family, plus a transformable body to reduce drag in the water. It'll have a 3-man crew, and hold 10 paratroopers, have top speeds on land up to 55 km/h, and 37 km/h in the water, landing ships will be able to deploy soldiers 40-60 km's away from coasts:

    platform BMMP

    "1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family" - bad idea.

    Normally I would agree with you however considering how it's set to be apart of the naval assets, it's likely apart of the naval logistics chain with the possibility of sharing parts and spares in a military branch where gas turbines are more prevalent.

    So ultimately my opinion on the use of gas turbines within ground vehicles:

    a) For use within vehicles used only for ground forces (such as the T-80U) it's a terrible idea.

    b) For use within the Naval Infantry, with the potential to share logistics with gas turbines in the naval logistics chain. It's an interesting idea, and if it proves to be the case then it could potentially be a great idea (if done correctly).

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:54 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Marine Assault vehicle, platform BMMP:



    A hybrid solution if I ever seen one, 100/30 combo armament like a BMP-3/BMD-4, side applique armor like a Kurganetz-25, wheels most likely derived from Boomerang-25, 1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family, plus a transformable body to reduce drag in the water. It'll have a 3-man crew, and hold 10 paratroopers, have top speeds on land up to 55 km/h, and 37 km/h in the water, landing ships will be able to deploy soldiers 40-60 km's away from coasts:

    platform BMMP

    "1250 hp gas turbine engine derived from the T-80U family" - bad idea.

    Normally I would agree with you however considering how it's set to be apart of the naval assets, it's likely apart of the naval logistics chain with the possibility of sharing parts and spares in a military branch where gas turbines are more prevalent.

    So ultimately my opinion on the use of gas turbines within ground vehicles:

    a) For use within vehicles used only for ground forces (such as the T-80U) it's a terrible idea.

    b) For use within the Naval Infantry, with the potential to share logistics with gas turbines in the naval logistics chain. It's an interesting idea, and if it proves to be the case then it could potentially be a great idea (if done correctly).

    Turbine engines in general are horrible idea for any "ground" vehicle. Even if operated only by navy, that means that you will have to supply bunch of spares only to the navy...while you will supply everyone else with diesels and spares... Why would you do that, there is nothing in terms of performance that would justify that. Navy also does not operate so small gas turbines to justify it that way, which makes them just a burden on the logistics.

    Our P40 radar turbines were such pain in the ass...

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5391
    Points : 5640
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm

    T-80's performed horribly with gas turbines in really hard terrain they performed like 80km and already dried up half the tank. Gas turbines are useless in that regard and shouldn't go on anything that needs to be powered by shaft turbine for ground use.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:12 am


    x_54_u43
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 188
    Points : 208
    Join date : 2015-09-19

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  x_54_u43 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:32 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:

    Deja Vu

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9457
    Points : 9949
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  George1 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:44 pm

    Air defence units of the Marine formation performed combat firing on Kamchatka

    The servicemen performed marching, deployed Shilka ZSU-24 at the Radygin range, and met training qualification standards.
    After that the air defence system crews performed firing against fast-moving targets.

    http://eng.mil.ru/en/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12078673@egNews

    Russian Naval Infantry hasn't any more modern air defence? Why not Tunguska-M1? It would be far better for them instead of old ZSUs guns


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4877
    Points : 4924
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Militarov on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:23 pm

    George1 wrote:
    Air defence units of the Marine formation performed combat firing on Kamchatka

    The servicemen performed marching, deployed Shilka ZSU-24 at the Radygin range, and met training qualification standards.
    After that the air defence system crews performed firing against fast-moving targets.

    http://eng.mil.ru/en/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12078673@egNews

    Russian Naval Infantry hasn't any more modern air defence? Why not Tunguska-M1? It would be far better for them instead of old ZSUs guns

    There are not that many Tunguskas in service i guess around 250ish. And Naval infantry is famous for having the most outdated equipment in whole Russian armed forces, BTR60, PT76, Shilka... And look at it this way, Shilka is far better than having towed ZSU-23-2.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Naval Infantry: Equipment and News

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:37 pm


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:37 pm