Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Pics wanted - AGS 17/30 on BMD 2

steve501
    Private
    Private

Pics wanted - AGS 17/30 on BMD 2

Post  steve501 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Has anyone got any pics of the AGS17/30 cupola mounted on a BMD 2 - i want to model a couple on my BMD 2

cheers
    Steve

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Pics wanted - AGS 17/30 on BMD 2

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 am

Haven't got any good angles... these are the best ones I have for the BMD-2:

Of course it seems to be the same as the Berezhok upgrade for the BMP-2 so you might be better off looking for photos of that perhaps to get an idea of what it looks like from above.

Here is a vid showing the BMP-2 Berezhok, but I suspect the AG-30 arrangement is the same for BMD-2.

Note at about 3 minutes it shows the 30mm grenade launcher.

Note also that this is an old video because it gives the AGS-30s range as 1.7km.

With new more effective ammo it can reach 2.2km with a more efficient HE payload.

I would also add that replacing the old Kornets with Kornet-EMs would almost double the reach of the vehicle and allow limited ability to engage helos out to 10kms.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

steve501
    Private
    Private

Post  steve501 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks Gary, do you think many of the BMD 2 will have the added AGS fitted to the turret

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 am

I have heard that they are planning not to buy new vehicles and that the focus will be upgrading existing vehicles.

That means BMP-2 and BMD-2 upgrades will be priorities.

I have heard however that the boss of the VDV likes the BMD-4M and wants those instead, and the big question is whether he will get his way.

It is my understanding that the first order for An-70s is for about 60 aircraft... if the VDV get a significant number of these aircraft then I rather suspect they will use some for transports and some for para dropping.

The huge advantage the VDV has over most western forces is armour and mobility. They can be dropped 100km away from their target in the middle of nowhere but then drive to their objective and attack it.

Air dropping a force that then attacks an airstrip means instead of dropping the entire force you can air land most of it at the captured air base. The rough field capabilities of the An-70 means that they could simply set up their own air base somewhere where there is a stretch of flat hard ground.

Landing vehicles is much simpler and quicker and safer than parachuting them... and more importantly the parachuted vehicles have weight restrictions, while the landed vehicles are limited only by the payload capacity of the aircraft that brings them... about 50 tons for An-70 and 60 tons for the IL-476... 150 tons for the upgraded An-124s.

BTW I am sometimes asked why bother with a 30mm grenade launcher... the BMD-2 already has a 30mm cannon. The low velocity of the 30mm grenade launcher compliments the high velocity 30mm auto cannon. Often targets will fire from behind cover... a burnt out tank will still stop 30mm cannon shells, and the high velocity 30mm cannon wont be able to drop rounds over the tank to land directly behind it because it is a high velocity weapon with a too flat shooting trajectory.

The 30mm grenade launcher on the other hand is a low velocity round that could easily be lobbed over a tank or other cover.

In the book "Rapid Fire" by Tony Williams there is a comment about a BMP-3 commander hesitating in combat trying to decide what weapon to engage the enemy with, but the reality is that a soldier in combat has a wide choice of methods of killing too.
    You might have a rifle, a pistol, a knife, an entrenching tool, your bare hands and feet. The situation dictates which is the most effective... an individual enemy at 200m you use a rifle. A small armoured vehicle you use that disposable RPG-22 launcher on your shoulder... an enemy soldier steps out a door half a metre away...your bare hands would be quickest etc etc.

The point is that having more weapons gives you more options when each weapon has a different characteristic and pluses and minuses.

Sorry for the rant... Embarassed

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

steve501
    Private
    Private

Post  steve501 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks Gary, would any have been fitted during the 2nd Chechen war to BMD 2
    cheers
    Steve

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 am

Well the second Chechen conflict is described as ending in 2009, so AFAIK it is possible they might have used some, but purely for testing purposes.

Current date/time is Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm