Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Syrian Civil War: News

max steel

Re: Syrian Civil War: News

Post  max steel on Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Just like 1990s chechen war . US funded terrorism got BTC pipeline built reducing Russia's leverage by supplying gas from caspian nation azerbaijan to turkey including georgia . Now the same trick used again to Build Qatari pipeline . Well apart from supplying weapons russia is doing nothing . They should send in their planes , attack helos , warships and must bomb the isis foothold areas in syria .

par far

Post  par far on Tue May 26, 2015 10:31 pm

max steel wrote:Just like 1990s chechen war . US funded terrorism got BTC pipeline built reducing Russia's leverage by supplying gas from caspian nation azerbaijan to turkey including georgia . Now the same trick used again to Build Qatari pipeline . Well apart from supplying weapons russia is doing nothing . They should send in their planes , attack helos , warships and must bomb the isis foothold areas in syria .

I don't why the Russian government has been slow to act, I think Putin and company think that the west will just forgive them. Just read history and you will find out if they forgive.
    Manov

Post  Manov on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 am

could be possible for Russia to send a "symbolic" force to help fight IS (like 4 su-34 and a pair of su-30sm with a il-78) to do some pinpoint mission, patrols and even some CAS. Politically the USAF operating there would have a hard time deciding if engaging those planes or not. And if Russia is audacious, bomb IS positions that the US neglects (or avoid) to do so. It could be a very good signal (and press). Not so costly (i think) and more symbolic than really turning the tide, but actually showing some results.

I know it is really hard to happen but, is it feasible?
    George1

Post  George1 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 am

Qatar Tries to 'Mainstream' Al-Nusra Front to Topple Syria’s Assad

Experts claim that the government of Qatar has portrayed the al-Nusra Front as a moderate fighting force to gain support from Sunni allies in an effort to oust Syrian President Bashar Assad.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The government of Qatar has portrayed the al-Nusra Front as a moderate fighting force to gain support from Sunni allies in an effort to oust Syrian President Bashar Assad, experts told Sputnik.

“The Qataris have convinced the new Saudi king that to topple Assad and punch a hole right in the middle of the Iranian sphere of influence in the region, they have to play with Jabhat al-Nusra [al-Nusra Front] and nudge them away from al-Qaeda,” Middle East geopolitics expert Kamran Bokhari told Sputnik.

During an exclusive interview with the Qatar-based Al Jazeera media outlet on Wednesday, al-Nusra Front leader Abu Mohammed al-Golani claimed his group had no intention of targeting the West, and only had designs on toppling the Shia Alawite Assad regime.

In 2012, the US State Department designated the al-Nusra Front as a terrorist organization and the UN blacklisted them in 2014 as an alias of al-Qaeda in Iraq.

University of Oklahoma Professor Joshua Landis told Sputnik that Qatar and Al Jazeera’s attempts to spin the al-Nusra Front as moderate is certainly a risky approach. However, for Qatar and its allies it is a necessary evil for winning the Sunni-Shia struggle.

“Yes, it is dangerous, but the alternative, according to the Sunni leaders, is to leave Assad in power,” Landis said.

US President Barack Obama, Landis added, has not publicly criticized Turkey's, Qatar's and Saudi Arabia's push to mainstream the al-Nusra Front.

Heritage Foundation Director of Foreign Policy Studies Steven Bucci told Sputnik that the Al Jazeera interview depicting the al-Nusra Front as not being anti-Western was hard to believe, especially considering the group was a spin-off from the Islamic State of Iraq (ISI).

The al-Nusra Front was a subsidiary of ISI, itself an Al Qaeda branch in Iraq, Bucci explained, but it spun-off from ISI to become Al Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria.

“So al-Nusra is still an al-Qaeda affiliate. The Al Jazeera article is nonsense,” Bucci concluded.

Syria has been in a state of civil war since 2011 with many insurgent groups, such ISIL and the al-Nusra Front, active in the country and aiming to overthrow the Assad regime.

Russia has repeatedly stated that Bashar Assad is a legitimate president of Syria, and that only the people of Syria should choose their government and leaders.

In January and April 2015, Moscow hosted two rounds of talks between Syrian government and opposition groups. During the second round of talks, the conflicting sides defined a framework for future negotiations on the settlement of the Syrian crisis.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/analysis/20150602/1022836252.html#ixzz3bstrJsqS
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am

Manov wrote:could be possible for Russia to send a "symbolic" force to help fight IS (like 4 su-34 and a pair of su-30sm with a il-78) to do some pinpoint mission, patrols and even some CAS. Politically the USAF operating there would have a hard time deciding if engaging those planes or not. And if Russia is audacious, bomb IS positions that the US neglects (or avoid) to do so. It could be a very good signal (and press). Not so costly (i think) and more symbolic than really turning the tide, but actually showing some results.

I know it is really hard to happen but, is it feasible?

Symbolic?

Paradrop a VDV division into IS heartlands, and show these GLA-wannabees what real warfare is pirat

Make an immediate course for the nearest SAA, Kurd or Iraqi controlled territory - with the airborne vehicles' speed it shouldn't take longer than 3 days to reach.

And enter every single occupied town, village and poorly-defended city along the way, round up all the ISIS fighters, administrators, moral police, and execute. I'm talkin' full Einsatztruppen style. No quarter asked for, no quarter given.
    Any well-defended settlements should simply be avoided. The point is to strike at the soft-underbelly, ISIS can't be everywhere at once.

ISIS offensives across every front will be thrown into disarray and ripe for counter-attack, as ISIS starts trying to gather forces to counter the VDV rampaging through their territory.
    Any formation approching the VDV or redploying in the vicinity should be sitting ducks for supporting airpower.

Nice to dream anyway paratrooper
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:26 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Symbolic?

Paradrop a VDV division into IS heartlands, and show these GLA-wannabees what real warfare is pirat

Make an immediate course for the nearest SAA, Kurd or Iraqi controlled territory - with the airborne vehicles' speed it shouldn't take longer than 3 days to reach.

And enter every single occupied town, village and poorly-defended city along the way, round up all the ISIS fighters, administrators, moral police, and execute. I'm talkin' full Einsatztruppen style. No quarter asked for, no quarter given.
    Any well-defended settlements should simply be avoided. The point is to strike at the soft-underbelly, ISIS can't be everywhere at once.

ISIS offensives across every front will be thrown into disarray and ripe for counter-attack, as ISIS starts trying to gather forces to counter the VDV rampaging through their territory.
    Any formation approching the VDV or redploying in the vicinity should be sitting ducks for supporting airpower.

Nice to dream anyway paratrooper
    with the superior mobility of the VDVs vehicles they could do something like drawing creeps into mobs and then wiping them out with powerful AoE attack in mmorpgs. first, attack settlements to provoke a reaction and once they follow you in their nice hiluxes go offroad onto the next target. they could follow you by road or in the desert but the tracked BMDs would easily leave them in the dust, so you have time for the next target. rinse and repeat until you drawn the ire of most of them and they are now in neat mile long convoy lines just waiting for an A-10(im sure uncle sam wouldnt mind, rather he would love to) to snort them like tony montana does coke.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 am

I think the VDV would struggle actually in that job... because I rather suspect that ISIS is so successful because the target cities and towns they choose they choose because of large Sunni populations in each city and town.

Liberation roles are much easier with the support of the local population... when potential supporters in the local population have already been purged by the occupiers most of what is left is either enemy or too afraid to resist or too weak to assist.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Monarchist

Post  Monarchist on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Russia abandoned Assad and Syria a long time ago. No wonder they have no friends or allies in the world.

Iran’s Soleimani vows Syria “surprise”
    The IRGC Quds Force chief made a surprise visit to Syria over the weekend near the frontlines outside Latakia.
    https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/NewsReports/565369-irans-soleimani-vows-syria-surprise?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz3bvqz9TyM

I trust Soleimani more then I trust the words of russian diplomat and government.
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Monarchist wrote:Russia abandoned Assad and Syria a long time ago. No wonder they have no friends or allies in the world.

Iran’s Soleimani vows Syria “surprise”
    The IRGC Quds Force chief made a surprise visit to Syria over the weekend near the frontlines outside Latakia.
    https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/NewsReports/565369-irans-soleimani-vows-syria-surprise?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz3bvqz9TyM

I trust Soleimani more then I trust the words of russian diplomat and government.

https://syrianfreepress.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/novorossia-tartus-putin/

This was in May of this year. Two major landing ships sending supplies to Syria. No, Russia hasn't abandoned Syria. They just dont announce what they do outright.

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Yes ..Russia is sending lots of new "secret supplies" ,which Syrians calls Good things
    in this week.. to tartus port..  So be prepared to see major new weapons in the hands of Syrian
    Government..  Russia have their own war ,right at their borders.. so it will be foolish for Russia
    to spread its army in Syria when they have another war in progress at their borders..

Here a new interesting Reports.. a must read for everyone.. the evidence
    Anyone needs that Shows how US and Turkey are arming ISIS..

Exclusive Breaking: US Accusations against Syria Backfire(Updated)

And Iraq Proves America is Aiding ISIS, including setting up "black ops" ambushes against the Iraqi Army

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/06/02/us-accuses-syria-of-aiding-isis/

Even CNN Pentagon front end media is now saying US trained saints mercenaries have joined ISIS..

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/29/politics/isis-man-trained-in-us/

But this is done to counter the strong new information and evidence surfacing of US support for ISIS.. CNN is watering down the storm.. by trying to make it look is a "rare" isolated case of "moderates" fighters moving to the side of ISIS.. they also covers it ,blaming Russia from training him too ..  When in reality US have been helping terrorist groups from the very start of the conflict in 2011. Today ISIS fight with lots of American and NATO weapons.. that do not exist in Syria or IRAQ arsenal. for example Anti Tank weapons from European Czech country
    that the CIA gave to Saudi Arabia ,now in the hands of ISIS.. not surprisingly. No

ISIS supply base in Turkey and Saudi Arabia and Golan Heigh Israel controlled zone and.. from there they use their airforce and artillery to cover the entry of terrorist in Syria and IRAQ.

The first video clearly shows US and ISIS are on the same side.. US airforce does not coordinate
    anything with IRAQ or Syria and they drop weapons and food to ISIS forces fighting Syrian Government and IRAQ.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:19 am

Russia abandoned Assad and Syria a long time ago. No wonder they have no friends or allies in the world.

Assad was looking west when the west turned on him.

Russia had good relations with Assad and Libya but they were hardly best buddies, and certainly no signed agreements for mutual protection.

Russia is not the USSR nor the US and is not bound to leap into conflicts around the world when their interests are at risk.

Having said that Russia will protect Syria in the UNSC to ensure no sneak attack is launched politically, and I suspect with their new drive to replace old equipment in their arsenal will lead to a lot of equipment that is no longer needed and would be valuable for Syria and her current problems.

However at the end of the day for a long term permanent solution to their problem I think Iran and Iraq and Syria need to get together and sort something out that will work for all of them and help defeat ISIS quicker.

I rather suspect all three countries helping Yemen against Saudi Arabia might be a useful thing too... if Saudi Arabia backed off ISIS would likely not be so strong.

Or you could be a western stooge that really doesn't care about the suffering of the people on the ground and don't care about long term solutions and just want to take a shot at Putin...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:37 am

Very interesting interview.. George Gallay with the owner of Syrianperspective ,who have
    relatives in Syria and receive direct information from Syrian army soldiers general staff through
    his Syrian journalist sources.

This is his website.. have near 2 millions of views.

http://www.syrianperspective.com/2015/06/ziad-and-george-galloway-why-the-us-wont-stop-isis-from-taking-over-george-galloway-and-ziad-fadel.html

OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:54 am

Vann7 wrote:

This is his website..  have near 2 millions of views.

http://www.syrianperspective.com/2015/06/ziad-and-george-galloway-why-the-us-wont-stop-isis-from-taking-over-george-galloway-and-ziad-fadel.html

I've been needing one of these Colonel Cassad equivalents for the Syrian conflict. Many thanks, bookmarked.
    max steel

Post  max steel on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:02 am

i have been following syrian perspective on facebook for past 7 months . no surprise at all . he constantly updatrs syria situation and i have adviced earlier in commrnts too one should follow syrian perspective instead of any msm on syria isis war .
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I heard Sanaa was lost to rebels? Is this true?
    max steel

Post  max steel on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 pm

sepheronx wrote:I heard Sanaa was lost to rebels? Is this true?
    follow syrian perspective . This thread is not so active .
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:44 am

max steel wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:I heard Sanaa was lost to rebels? Is this true?
    follow syrian perspective  . This thread is not so active .

He's a good antidote to the constant "Syria is lost" crowd (present here as well) but he exagerates the successes of the government side to put it mildly...still I love his colourful style of reporting - the SAA versus the Simian & Rodent hordes Cool

Eg:

Al-Jaanoodiyya:  The Syrian Air Force, flying Sukhoi bombers shellacked Al-Qaeda and killed a reported 43.  The rat terrorist propaganda outlets in England are claiming civilians were killed even though we know the citizens of Al-Jaanoodiyya were evacuated or had escaped long before the Al-Qaeda rodents came in. In any case, the mostly Chechen packs of vermin were vaporized by the SAAF.

Al-Sanqara Village: A nest of rats was set upon by our eagles and nebulized, all 12 rodents inside now a puff of atoms carried by the wind.

Kinsafra: SAAF again, and free to rain death on the slinking rodents as they fly undaunted from the Abu-Dhuhoor Airbase. No details about rat-stats.

Abu Dhuhoor: The SAA unleashed a maelstrom of fire from Howitzers and mortars as Nusra/Alqaeda rodents were gathering for their next abysmal and nihilistic attack on the airbase’s perimeter. Their carcasses were seen, at times, flying upward like beads of hot oil in a pan, misshapen and grotesque,

Read more at http://www.syrianperspective.com/2015/06/idlib-the-war-is-on-syrian-army-and-air-force-decimates-alqaeda-all-over-province-40-rodents-killed-in-al-jaanoodiyya-by-saar.html#kAsEmZSLLhV4DjJ8.99
    George1

Post  George1 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Syrian Army Restores Control Over Strategic Airbase

Syria's armed forces have regained full control over the Al-Thalaa military airbase in the country’s southern Sweida province, local media reported on Saturday.

Early reports by the Arabic-language version of satellite TV channel Al-Jazeera and some western media outlets had claimed that the strategic airbase had been overrun by a group of terrorists.

But sources in Syria told FNA on Friday that the country's army had pushed back the terrorists from the vicinity of the Al-Thalaa airbase.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitoring group, reported that the fighters withdrew under heavy government fire.

"Opposition fighters withdrew from areas … after heavy aerial bombardment and the arrival of reinforcements from the National Defense Forces and Popular Committees," said Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman.

Over 210,000 people have reportedly been killed in Syria since the outbreak of the crisis in March 2011.

New figures show that over 76,000 people, including thousands of children, lost their lives in Syria last year alone.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20150613/1023313198.html#ixzz3cwdAjXjp

TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Syrian Air Force pounds terrorist positions:

Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:17 am

TheArmenian wrote:Syrian Air Force pounds terrorist positions:

What's this footage from?....Su-24MK2?
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Cyberspec wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:Syrian Air Force pounds terrorist positions:

Yes , a syrian friend told me it's su-24
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Syrian Army, Hezbollah on a Roll Pushing ISIL, al-Nusra From Qalamoun

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20150614/1023347009.html#ixzz3d8hhNYaw

Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:27 pm

ahmedfire wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:

Yes , a syrian friend told me it's su-24

Thanks
    max steel

Post  max steel on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:36 pm

U.S finds it hard to recruit ‘moderate’ rebels to fight ISIS
    Wink

The United States on Wednesday said it was proving challenging to recruit Syrian opposition forces for a program to train and equip them to battle Islamic State militants, but that it was too soon to give up on the effort.

"We have enough training sites and so forth. For now, we don’t have enough trainees to fill them," U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter told a congressional hearing.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, noted that the training, which officials have said is taking place in Jordan and Turkey, had just started and that it was still too soon "to give up on it

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/u-s-finds-it-hard-to-recruit-moderate-rebels-to-fight-isis/
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:47 pm

max steel wrote:
    U.S finds it hard to recruit ‘moderate’ rebels to fight ISIS
      Wink

The United States on Wednesday said it was proving challenging to recruit Syrian opposition forces for a program to train and equip them to battle Islamic State militants, but that it was too soon to give up on the effort.

"We have enough training sites and so forth. For now, we don’t have enough trainees to fill them," U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter told a congressional hearing.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, noted that the training, which officials have said is taking place in Jordan and Turkey, had just started and that it was still too soon "to give up on it

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/u-s-finds-it-hard-to-recruit-moderate-rebels-to-fight-isis/

LOL lol! lol! lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 pm