Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Share

    Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1219
    Points : 1241
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Hannibal Barca on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

    Just give me two examples he was right about politics.
    Yes he does know hardware staff.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:38 pm

    Hannibal Barca wrote:
    It is not just Ukrainians and Russians who can have rubbish politicians... in the US the republicans in congress would rather kill a bill that will help americans just to make Obama look bad than do the right thing and actually do their job.

    Sorry mate but this is completely different from what we see in Ukraine.
    In commonwealth countries like yours or Canada or Anglosaxon lead like US you can't go too far in rioting or plotting against you country.
    Once public opinion realize that you try to break the inner stability of society you are done.
    This is the reason why USA plots against anybody else, that they are confident  that they can handle such attacks better than their opponents.

    I spend  2010 living in London. Long story short, it is not a great thing to be a 25 year old English native in town.
    It is not a rush situation but you are semi-competent you realize that your parents 30 years ago where in better shape all in all. Yet nobody really gone bananas there.
    In Kiev, despite the huge problems for the average Joe, you can see it has been a huge progress during the last 20 years yet Kiev is the one in flames.

    I was always under the impresson that people who grew up in a society run under order more so than democracy, then one day it all changes, does not know how to handle it. Mix in poverty and a group of people who are easily influenced by momey amd creed, then you got what we have now in Ukraine. Westerner Ukrainians (some of my family is from lviv) can be pretty radical because of the past and well, ancient hatreds die hard. They do not seem to get along with the eastern Ukrainians. If two sides who dont like each other, are living in the same country together, may not end up together for long. Look at Yugoslavia as example. As much as everyone in the west love to boast saying we are all equal.... we are not. Harsh realities.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  TR1 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 pm

    flamming_python wrote:Hannibal Barca: TR1 is usually right about things. Just read his posts; any of them - 95% of the time he's right.
    You don't like it, I don't like it, but there we go :)You should show some respect though, the guy knows his stuff.


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  George1 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

    US-Born Wild Wins Gold for Russia in Snowboard Giant Slalom

    ROSA KHUTOR, Russia, February 19 (R-Sport) – US-born snowboarder Vic Wild won a surprise Olympic gold medal for Russia in the parallel giant slalom Wednesday, minutes after his wife won bronze in the women's event.

    Washington state native Wild was half a second down to Switzerland’s Nevin Galmarini before the second run of the final at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, but blazed back to win by two seconds as his opponent ran wide on the turns.

    Wild’s wife Alena Zavarzina, who won bronze for Russia, played a key role in his decision to switch allegiances to Russia in time for the 2011-12 season, citing the low funding for Alpine snowboard events in the US. Since then, Wild has become a snowboard heavyweight, winning world championship bronze last year and taking his first World Cup win in parallel slalom this season.

    Gasparini narrowly missed out on completing a golden double for Switzerland in parallel giant slalom after Patrizia Kummer defeated Japan's Tomoka Takeuchi in the final of the women’s competition.

    The men’s bronze was won by Slovenia’s Zan Kosir, who overturned a 0.76-second disadvantage to beat German Patrick Bussler on the second run of the small final.

    Earlier, there was a surprise as reigning champion and gold medal favorite Jasey Jay Anderson of Canada went out in the first knockout round, losing to Slovenia’s Rok Marguc.

    russianumber1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 31
    Points : 39
    Join date : 2013-12-18

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  russianumber1 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:44 pm

    how many gold medals in russia may even win the final?

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  GarryB on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:25 am

    We simply don't know if putin is the best at managig the russian military since all the candidates have never run the countries but judging by his predecessors putin looks like a real genius. However I don't think he's the biggest military management genius in russia. With Zyuganov continuing the USSR's legacy I'm more inclined to belive the military would be in better shape if he was president instead of putin of course at the cost of some other sectors.

    Funny... the main alternative to Putin is the communist party... Reagan would probably have chosen Putin every time over the communist party alternative... but it seems the west would rather see a communist Russia than a successful one.

    Putin might not be ideal for the military, but he seems to be pushing Russian interests in all areas... which is what Russia seems to need. The communists are likely to create a lot more red tape and focus on the military, which will get them in to debt... if their economy is not producing they will not be able to pay and things could get very bad very quickly.



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  sepheronx on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 am

    So some retarded Pussy riot members get attacked by idiot cossack guys and now look at the whole shlew of people saying Russian's are uncivillized in MP.net. Even the mods. Holy hell, people are stupid.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  TR1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 am

    Mp.net....what do you expect?

    But yes, Cossaks are basically rednecks and Russian hicks.

    Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1219
    Points : 1241
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Hannibal Barca on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 am

    Funny... the main alternative to Putin is the communist party... Reagan would probably have chosen Putin every time over the communist party alternative... but it seems the west would rather see a communist Russia than a successful one.


    Are you sure about this ?
    The communist thing was just a pretext to fanaticize against Russia. Anything would do if needed....
    I am sure in retrospect West would love Russia to still be communistic.
    They would be sure that they would never, NEVER had an opponent with a high standard of living (actually not even above Africa) and enough cash in hand.
    Without this you can never have social stability and create serious alliances.
    Create new technologies, sell culture, music way of living etc in other words become influential.
    In thermodynamics you can never transfer heat from a cold to a hot body equally a poorer society can never influence a richer one.
    This is precisely what happened during CW1 and would love to have the same thing again.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:44 am

    Hannibal Barca wrote:
    Funny... the main alternative to Putin is the communist party... Reagan would probably have chosen Putin every time over the communist party alternative... but it seems the west would rather see a communist Russia than a successful one.


    Are you sure about this ?
    The communist thing was just a pretext to fanaticize against Russia. Anything would do if needed....
    I am sure in retrospect West would love Russia to still be communistic.
    They would be sure that they would never, NEVER had an opponent with a high standard of living (actually not even above Africa) and enough cash in hand.
    Without this you can never have social stability and create serious alliances.
    Create new technologies, sell culture, music way of living etc in other words become influential.
    In thermodynamics you can never transfer heat from a cold to a hot body equally a poorer society can never influence a richer one.
    This is precisely what happened during CW1 and would love to have the same thing again.

    Reagan was a warmonger and he loved the cold war, he was among with McCarthy the one who spread russophobia in the US and western world that people there were so deluded that they believed that every citizen in Soviet Union was a blood thirsty cold blooded monsters just waiting to rip people apart. He would love to vote for communist party just to ensure the cold war mentality, which unfortunatley never ended due the western propaganda of russophobic lies.

    There is this video about Petr Ufimtsev where this CIA agent said that he was about to be introduced to a scientist from Soviet Union during the cold war and he was expecting a hardlining never smiling man hating communist and was suprised to meet a humble,friendly and warm old man.

    Empires live from fear among their own population from the everlasting selfmade enemies.

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  collegeboy16 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm

    SU is scary... in 1 generation a backward third-worldish country becomes a superpower... amazing to say the least tho the human cost was horrific too. Maybe they can do a comeback in a few decades along with china and india- the world is too big to be contained by one power alone so why not 4?

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  George1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 pm

    Russian Sotnikova wins stunning figure skating gold at Sochi Olympics

    Sotnikova, 17, had trailed Kim by less than a point after a dazzling short program on Wednesday and overtook the 23-year-old two-time world champion to win with a total score of 224.59 points.

    It is a first women's singles gold medal ever for Russia and a third figure skating gold for the host nation in Sochi after it won the team event and the pairs title went to Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

    Kim put in a superb free skate but fell short, having to settle for silver with 219.11. The bronze went to Carolina Kostner of Italy, who posted 216.73.

    With the surprise victory, Sotnikova dramatically steals the show from her 15-year-old compatriot Julia Liptiniskaia, who had dominated the build-up to the individual event after crushing allcomers in the team event earlier in the Games.

    Lipnitskaia fell in Wednesday's short program and again on Thursday to disappear as a medal challenger, eventually finishing fifth with 200.57.

    Kim, meanwhile, missed the chance to become the third female skater to take back-to-back Olympic golds since Katerina Witt in 1988, a feat that would have been all the more impressive by the fact that she hadn't competed in a top-level event since winning the world championships in March.

    The winning free skate by Sotnikova was set to a classical violin piece and saw just one obvious mistake, a stumble after exiting a jump.

    KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 986
    Points : 1139
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 19
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    We simply don't know if putin is the best at managig the russian military since all the candidates have never run the countries but judging by his predecessors putin looks like a real genius. However I don't think he's the biggest military management genius in russia. With Zyuganov continuing the USSR's legacy I'm more inclined to belive the military would be in better shape if he was president instead of putin of course at the cost of some other sectors.

    Funny... the main alternative to Putin is the communist party... Reagan would probably have chosen Putin every time over the communist party alternative... but it seems the west would rather see a communist Russia than a successful one.

    Putin might not be ideal for the military, but he seems to be pushing Russian interests in all areas... which is what Russia seems to need. The communists are likely to create a lot more red tape and focus on the military, which will get them in to debt... if their economy is not producing they will not be able to pay and things could get very bad very quickly.

    Well I guess its ok, leave the KPRF to take over when the economy is on its feet.

    BTW god forbid putin to start following hardcore Austrian economics or to become a Randroid  No ...

    zino
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 119
    Points : 133
    Join date : 2013-11-21
    Location : Northern Italy Autonomous Okrug

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  zino on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm

    sepheronx wrote:So some retarded Pussy riot members get attacked by idiot cossack guys and now look at the whole shlew of people saying Russian's are uncivillized in MP.net.  Even the mods.  Holy hell, people are stupid.

    I've watched the video. Punk or not, those girls are indeed strong russian women! They took the beating without a fuss or whining, they retrieved their guitar from the trash can and walked away. What a women! Nadezhda, would you marry me?  Smile

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  TR1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 pm

    zino wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So some retarded Pussy riot members get attacked by idiot cossack guys and now look at the whole shlew of people saying Russian's are uncivillized in MP.net.  Even the mods.  Holy hell, people are stupid.

    I've watched the video. Punk or not, those girls are indeed strong russian women! They took the beating without a fuss or whining, they retrieved their guitar from the trash can and walked away. What a women! Nadezhda, would you marry me?  Smile

    Hahah.

    Most women would cry and sue instantly.

    Hannibal Barca
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1219
    Points : 1241
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Hannibal Barca on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 am

    TR1 wrote:
    zino wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So some retarded Pussy riot members get attacked by idiot cossack guys and now look at the whole shlew of people saying Russian's are uncivillized in MP.net.  Even the mods.  Holy hell, people are stupid.

    I've watched the video. Punk or not, those girls are indeed strong russian women! They took the beating without a fuss or whining, they retrieved their guitar from the trash can and walked away. What a women! Nadezhda, would you marry me?  Smile

    Hahah.

    Most women would cry and sue instantly.

    Not really. They were paid well enough from CIA for exactly this sort of beating. Simply pros  lol! lol! lol! 

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5629
    Points : 6282
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Viktor on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm

    Check the medal count  Very Happy 

    Sadly Russian hockey team did not made it.

    zino
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 119
    Points : 133
    Join date : 2013-11-21
    Location : Northern Italy Autonomous Okrug

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  zino on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:24 pm

    Viktor wrote:Check the medal count  Very Happy 

    Sadly Russian hockey team did not made it.


    Yes sad. But the chemistry of the team was crap since two years. Russian hockey needs more effort to raise more young players.

    Sorry for the OT: how is the KHL in Zagreb? Is there some love for the new team? How are welcomed the russian teams there?
    (Curious like a cat)  What a Face

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5629
    Points : 6282
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Viktor on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 pm

    zino wrote:
    Viktor wrote:Check the medal count  Very Happy 

    Sadly Russian hockey team did not made it.


    Yes sad. But the chemistry of the team was crap since two years. Russian hockey needs more effort to raise more young players.

    Sorry for the OT: how is the KHL in Zagreb? Is there some love for the new team? How are welcomed the russian teams there?
    (Curious like a cat)  What a Face

    Wouldnt know, you have to ask zg18 for that since he is from Zagreb and Im from Split and Split is all about football, basketball, swimming.

    But until he gets here and from what I know KHL is extremly popular in Zg.

    russianumber1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 31
    Points : 39
    Join date : 2013-12-18

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  russianumber1 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:02 am

    russia again the 2nd place medals table

    zg18
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 868
    Points : 944
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  zg18 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 am

    zino wrote:Sorry for the OT: how is the KHL in Zagreb? Is there some love for the new team? How are welcomed the russian teams there?
    (Curious like a cat)  What a Face

    Zagreb Medveshchak team is very popular , i once went to a game  Very Happy 

    Very good atmosphere compared to traditional popular sports like football (football is mafia controlled in Croatia), so people are coming and give new popularization for hockey.

    I wouldn`t how Russian teams are welcomed since i`m not sport fan , but KHL was good move IMO , for hockey popularity.

    Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5629
    Points : 6282
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Viktor on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:31 pm

    Check the medal count - Russia No.1  Very Happy

    Russian team repeated USSR record the number of awards in one Winter Olympics

    zino
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 119
    Points : 133
    Join date : 2013-11-21
    Location : Northern Italy Autonomous Okrug

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  zino on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:34 pm

    zg18 wrote:
    zino wrote:Sorry for the OT: how is the KHL in Zagreb? Is there some love for the new team? How are welcomed the russian teams there?
    (Curious like a cat)  What a Face

    Zagreb Medveshchak team is very popular , i once went to a game  Very Happy 

    Very good atmosphere compared to traditional popular sports like football (football is mafia controlled in Croatia), so people are coming and give new popularization for hockey.

    I wouldn`t how Russian teams are welcomed since i`m not sport fan , but KHL was good move IMO , for hockey popularity.

    Thank's for the answers.

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  TR1 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:47 pm

    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10501048&categoryid=2378529


    LOL! I love the butthurt.

    So when America, a land of immigrants, wins medals with immigrants and transplants, its all good, but when Russia does (like with Victor Ahn and Vic Wild) it needs to be pointed out.

    LMAO! Cry more ESPN.


    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  TR1 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

    KomissarBojanchev wrote:It really a shame that the Russians are only 7th place in medal count. I thought they'd be more prepared. Instead of making such an impressive, but mostly useless opening, Russia should've invested more money in better training facilities and athletes that don't suck.
    Is  there an extremely tiny chance that Russia might in the next few decades have a medal count a bit closer to that of the  USSR?

    So, Russia just tied the USSR's best ever Winter Olympics results. And that is without Belarus (which got 5 golds!) and other ex-USSR nations.



    So what was that about athletes sucking?

    Sponsored content

    Re: 2014 Winter Olympics: News

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:56 am


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:56 am