Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+27
magnumcromagnon
zg18
zino
collegeboy16
medo
sepheronx
coolieno99
GarryB
Zivo
macedonian
russianumber1
Admin
TR1
flamming_python
Vann7
calripson
Werewolf
Viktor
Flyingdutchman
Regular
Hannibal Barca
gaurav
AlfaT8
As Sa'iqa
KomissarBojanchev
Firebird
George1
31 posters

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Regular
    Regular

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 5 Empty Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Post  Regular Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:06 pm

TR1 wrote:http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10501048&categoryid=2378529

LOL! I love the butthurt.

So when America, a land of immigrants, wins medals with immigrants and transplants, its all good, but when Russia does (like with Victor Ahn and Vic Wild) it needs to be pointed out.

LMAO! Cry more ESPN.

It's only american idiotism on display. Vic Wild, boohoo, maybe they had to find him american wife and better funding? It's usually Russians who leave their country to pursue better luck in states, but hey, when it happens vice versa, then it's not fair.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 5 Empty Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Post  Hannibal Barca Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Yeah this is great result but hosting nations always score massively. Great Britain even score third ahead of Russia in 2012.
    To be honest Russia's natural position is to be first in Winter Olympics.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:Yeah this is great result but hosting nations always score massively. Great Britain even score third ahead of Russia in 2012.
    To be honest Russia's natural position is to be first in Winter Olympics.
    Natural position is more to do with investment. We see good improvement over 2010 Olympics.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:21 pm

The home advantage is a real thing, but on the other hand, Russia won a bunch of medals in fields it traditionally is not good at. That, combined with the high profile success of imports, bodes well for both domestic and imported success in the future, and the overall Olympic competitiveness.

What do you mean a third ahead btw? England got 5 more gold in 2012, but 16 less medals in total than Russia.

Most people predicted Russia would be anywhere from 3rd-5th place at best this Olympics, though it depends how you count (gold vs total).
    This far surpasses expectations. Even if Norway passes Russia in Gold medals, Russia leads by a big margin (5 medals) in Silver.

+ No big messups, no terrorist attacks. So far, so good Smile .

Anyways, more Imported Victors please.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

+ No big messups, no terrorist attacks. So far, so good

affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid 
    Oh an optimistic post from you !!  lol! 

...But you are losing Ukraine...well, at least for the moment...   attack attack attack   geek
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Good, I don't want or care for the Ukraine at all Wink.

Most importantly for me, is the loss of defense ties. I have been counting for the years, but looks like it may come sooner than I expected.

Plus they did not do well in the Olympics at all. Now Belarus with its 5 golds, theres a tasty target lol.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 am

Russia Snatches Improbable Biathlon Relay Gold

SOCHI, February 22 (R-Sport) – Russia claimed an improbable biathlon team relay gold on Saturday after a last-gasp shooting calamity from Norway's Emil Hegle Svendsen set Anton Shipulin on a course to victory.

Norway had been out in front at the final standing shooting but the usually dependable Svendsen missed twice. Shipulin shot clean along with Simon Schempp and overtook the German to score a gold that looked unlikely for most of the race at the Laura biathlon complex.

The Germans finished 3.5 seconds behind the Russians, with the Austrians claiming the bronze 29.8 seconds back.

It means host nation Russia equals two medal records. It now has 29 medals overall, the same as the Soviet team of 1988, and 11 gold, matching the total in Lillehammer 20 years ago.

The result, Russia's first biathlon title at its home games in the sport's last event, denied Norwegian legend Ole Einar Bjoerndalen a record ninth career Olympic gold.

At one stage the Russians had been half a minute off the pace, as Bjoerndalen took control in the third leg with a lead of more than 20 seconds over the Germans. But despite shooting clean, the 40-year-old allowed Arnd Peiffer to reel him in and by the final changeover there was less than ten seconds in it.

Dmitry Malyshko kept pace with Peiffer to squeeze the field together for the dramatic final leg finish.

The other victorious Russians were lead-off man Alexey Volkov and Evgeny Ustyugov. There was no place in the team for individual bronze medalist Evgeny Garanichev.

Russia's other biathlon medals have come from the women's relay with silver, and Olga Vilyukhina's silver in the women's sprint.

The result also puts a gloss on an otherwise disappointing biathlon campaign from the Russians on their home track.

The Norwegians, meanwhile, are denied a fourth biathlon gold of the games after Bjoerndalen took the sprint, Svendsen the mass start and the mixed team the relay – an appropriate reflection of the nation’s domination of the sport.

An expected challenge from a strong France team led by pursuit and individual champion Martin Fourcade never materialized, with the team finishing eighth.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 am

TR1 wrote:Good, I don't want or care for the Ukraine at all Wink.

Most importantly for me, is the loss of defense ties. I have been counting for the years, but looks like it may come sooner than I expected.

Plus they did not do well in the Olympics at all. Now Belarus with its 5 golds, theres a tasty target lol.

There's nothing good about that at all. The implications of a russophobic govt. are bad enough, just look at Georgia when it had the russophobic Hawkishvili, he had a very lax attitude towards controlling Dagestani extremists penetrating Georgian territory, now imagine the same with Crimean Tartars extremists and keep mind in they'll be motivated to carryout bombings in Russia because of the actions of the Georgian Joseph Stalin deporting Tartars to Kazakhstan. You'll have greater amounts of incidents of meddling in Russian public daily lives, I mean you have the Pussy Riot debacle, where the band members stole a frozen chicken and used it as dildo out in public...I mean my gosh Russians are being demonized for having public indecency laws!!! Meanwhile there's 11.6-16 million Hispanic Americans stuck in civil rights purgatory, and you have a world wide network of torture and kidnapping being ran by NATO. It makes you wonder if human civilization will survive an additional 2 hundred years of existence when the self-proclaimed "free thinker" class cant keep their priorities straight!
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Good, I don't want or care for the Ukraine at all Wink.

There's nothing good about that at all. The implications of a russophobic govt. are bad enough, just look at Georgia when it had the russophobic Hawkishvili, he had a very lax attitude towards controlling Dagestani extremists penetrating Georgian territory, now imagine the same with Crimean Tartars extremists and keep mind in they'll be motivated to carryout bombings in Russia because of the actions of the Georgian Joseph Stalin deporting Tartars to Kazakhstan. You'll have greater amounts of incidents of meddling in Russian public daily lives, I mean you have the Pussy Riot debacle, where the band members stole a frozen chicken and used it as dildo out in public...I mean my gosh Russians are being demonized for having public indecency laws!!! Meanwhile there's 11.6-16 million Hispanic Americans stuck in civil rights purgatory, and you have a world wide network of torture and kidnapping being ran by NATO. It makes you wonder if human civilization will survive an additional 2 hundred years of existence when the self-proclaimed "free thinker" class cant keep their priorities straight!

At the end of the day, the Ukraine is finished and if what's left of it tries to make a move on Russian military facilities/troops then it will be annihilated to the extreme; Russia's gloves will fly right off. Even the West won't support them; Kiev is looking more like 90s Grozny by the day; I wouldn't be surprised if they soon start having public executions/already had them.

All the actions of the current government are illegitimate, deputies of the Regions party and other figures deposed government are either on the run, in hiding or have been cowed into submission; there are reports of families being held hostage, torture, you name it. And this illegitimate parliament has elected an illegitimate new head of MVD; who has rapidly started subordinating police units to him across Eastern Ukraine. You can imagine the situation is volatile.
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 am

Well, seems after the Cross-Country 1,2,3 victory - Russia will be 'The Winner' of the games.
    Priceless

russia 
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 am

Ideal ending.

Most medals.
    Most golds.
    Biggest penis.

But seriously, best ever performance for Russia in a Winter Olympics.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:56 am

macedonian wrote:Well, seems after the Cross-Country 1,2,3 victory - Russia will be 'The Winner' of the games.
    Priceless

russia 
    haha, the bears back baby  Twisted Evil hope this marks the comeback of the superpower- next event is ukraine.  Twisted Evil 
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:22 am

TR1 wrote:Ideal ending.

Most medals.
    Most golds.
    Biggest penis.

But seriously, best ever performance for Russia in a Winter Olympics.

There were women athletes involved too, you know...
    (you might want to mention women's reproductive organs too...you don't wanna be accused of being sexist, do you)? Cool 

Anyway, I though it was obvious that I was making a different point.
    The media anti-Russia propaganda went full steam ahead before the Olympics. There were 'experts' predicting that Russia cannot win more than 6-7 medals. 'twas 'Murica is way stronger than commie Russia' and all that. The American media was absolutely gloating over 'Russia not making the finals in Ice Hockey', only to be crestfallen when the Americans were totally thrashed by the Finns too.
    Anyway - my point was that all that media campaign turned to be a huge mistake since the Americans didn't win it...innit?!
    Actually, more than that: It backfired terribly. Now it's my turn to gloat. cheers
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:59 am

I remember, that months ago, when Western TV made a documentary about games in Sochi, IOC ban use of term "Olympic" for documentary about this games and they rename it in Putin's games. With this act IOC practically not knowing officially rename winter Olympic games in Putin's games. I personally agree with this idea, as Olympic games are traditionally on leap year, while winter Olympic games are not and are between Olympic games. Next Olympic games will be in 2016 in Brazil on Leap year and next Putin's games will be in 2018 in South Korea.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:02 pm

funny thing i`ve noticed that all these sochi problems only happened to Americans. Even Lithuanian journalists and athletes who stayed in Sochi said that it was very well organised with very good accomodations. They seen no problems like americans. But maybe Russians love us more and gave us better hotels:-D
    zino
    zino

Post  zino Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Congrats to Russia!
    First for the organization (most important IMO, because shows that russians are terrific in doing stuff if they want to be), than for the awesome results.

A thing aside:
    during the Games, two mayor politician was ousted:

-Yanuk
    -the mighty italian PM Letta, who was kicked in the nuts by his party comrade Renzi. Even more funny: the new government is same as the old one (big coalition, same balance of power).  lol!
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Considering extremely negative politically motivated western propaganda and real terrorist treats, we could say, those was the best Olympic games till now. Congratulations to Russian security forces who protect games, because they were safe till the end.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Regular wrote:funny thing i`ve noticed that all these sochi problems only happened to Americans. Even Lithuanian journalists and athletes who stayed in Sochi said that it was very well organised with very good accomodations. They seen no problems like americans. But maybe Russians love us more and gave us better hotels:-D

American bloggers tend to be whiny bitches.
    IF someone uses Twitter you already have to question their intelligence.

There is the silent majority of Americans who went to Sochi and never cried about anything.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm

IF someone uses Twitter you already have to question their intelligence. wrote:

x2
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

TR1 wrote:IF someone uses Twitter you already have to question their intelligence.

x3
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Off Topic  Please zino give us a little intelligence about Italy.
    How is the situation there ? If you blame EU ? What Italians expect for the economy? etc
    Sorry for the off topic but Italy is key country. Thank you.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:40 am

Sochi 2014 Medal Count

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 5 Sochi-10
    2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games - Page 5 Sochi-11
    Serbia Forever

Post  Serbia Forever Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 am

Best winter games I've ever seen, I especially love how what they did with the opening and closing ceremonies. Thank you Russia and congrats on your triumph return as a Olympic powerhouse!  russia 
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am

Congratulations to the Russian Team for Winning Sochi Olympics 2014 and making it to the top of table.

Inspite of all the negitive criticism in the Media and charges of corruption etc the best way to reply is to Win the Game.

The Russian Team did it with Style and Flair  russia 

Also a big thumbs up to the organiser for making this event a memorable one  thumbsup 

Congratulations to all the Athletes who participated and won some who could not but the Spirit of the Game was always there  cheers
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am

Sochi Olympics 2014 Opening and Closing Ceremony in Photos

Opening Ceremony ---> http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/46887/
    Closing Ceremony  --->  http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/47414/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am