Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Share
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17756
    Points : 18320
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  GarryB on Sun May 03, 2015 9:42 am

    I think there was needless duplication... Ataka would be sufficient for ground targets and slow aerial targets... or maybe I am just being fussy.

    It would have been a completely new design... at a time when four new vehicle families were being introduced. It would just make more sense to incorporate its ideas in some of the new vehicles.

    the whole idea of the new vehicles is to reduce logistics so for this vehicle to do better you would need a unit consisting entirely of this vehicle type... it was not a jack of all trades vehicle which means you would need to develop a whole family based on that chassis... and I think from what I have seen so far the Kurganets already looks better... the Stalker had no Shtora, nor APS and from memory looked like some sort of foam plastic hull material instead of NERA or ERA.

    ult

    Posts : 655
    Points : 695
    Join date : 2015-02-20

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  ult on Mon May 04, 2015 5:09 pm







    http://xn--80ahclcogc6ci4h.xn--90anlfbebar6i.xn--p1ai/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=21804@cmsPhotoGallery
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11481
    Points : 11954
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  George1 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:00 pm

    does anyone know details for the gun of Boomerang?
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 6:46 pm

    George1 wrote:does anyone know details for the gun of Boomerang?

    Looks like KPVT 14.5mm.

    avatar
    KomissarBojanchev

    Posts : 1424
    Points : 1587
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon May 04, 2015 6:57 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    George1 wrote:does anyone know details for the gun of Boomerang?

    Looks like KPVT 14.5mm.

    Unfortunately no. Just the anemic(for APCs) NSVT. Hopefully a KPVT RWS will arrive later. Or some bonehead decided 12,7mm is poweful enough.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1807
    Points : 1958
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  TheArmenian on Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    George1 wrote:does anyone know details for the gun of Boomerang?

    Looks like KPVT 14.5mm.


    That photo is not a KPVT 14.5mm.t is a 12.7mm (50 cal.)
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 pm

    TheArmenian wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    George1 wrote:does anyone know details for the gun of Boomerang?

    Looks like KPVT 14.5mm.


    That photo is not a KPVT 14.5mm.t is a 12.7mm (50 cal.)

    Ups, linked the wrong one.
    Embarassed

    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3988
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon May 04, 2015 8:55 pm

    Both Kord-T and 2A42 in two iterations. One Epoha 'lite' turret. The other the generally solid but cumbersome (for such system) RWS displayed about 2 years ago.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 pm

    Right now i am much more impressed with Kurganetz 25 BMP and T-15 BMP.

    Just look at the protection and APS coverage, every damn side is covered against horizontal deployed weapons aswell as Top attack weapons, fitted with ERA and a damn nice set of Targeting systems, Laser Warning recievers and not to mention it has Okhotnik Image processing system to automatically track and lockon targets. I am drooling over T-15 and Kurganetz, but not so much over T-14.

    Just look at the APS coverage.





    Red = Radar
    Purple = APS tubes against vertical attacks
    Blue = APS system against Top attacks and rear attacks
    Yellow = Laser Warning Reciever
    Dark Green = Moveable Smoke Grenade Launchers
    Bright Green = some protective System that was installed on T-80UD if i remember correctly, but someone has to point it out for me, don't remember much about it.
    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3315
    Points : 3401
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  flamming_python on Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 pm

    Bumerang BMP



    avatar
    Khepesh

    Posts : 1667
    Points : 1736
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Khepesh on Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 pm

    Werewolf wrote:Right now i am much more impressed with Kurganetz 25 BMP and T-15 BMP.

    Just look at the protection and APS coverage, every damn side is covered against horizontal deployed weapons aswell as Top attack weapons, fitted with ERA and a damn nice set of Targeting systems, Laser Warning recievers and not to mention it has Okhotnik Image processing system to automatically track and lockon targets. I am drooling over T-15 and Kurganetz, but not so much over T-14.

    Just look at the APS coverage.



    Red = Radar
    Purple = APS tubes against vertical attacks
    Blue = APS system against Top attacks and rear attacks
    Yellow = Laser Warning Reciever
    Dark Green = Moveable Smoke Grenade Launchers
    Bright Green = some protective System that was installed on T-80UD if i remember correctly, but someone has to point it out for me, don't remember much about it.
    Arena on T-80UM-1
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 pm

    Khepesh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Right now i am much more impressed with Kurganetz 25 BMP and T-15 BMP.

    Just look at the protection and APS coverage, every damn side is covered against horizontal deployed weapons aswell as Top attack weapons, fitted with ERA and a damn nice set of Targeting systems, Laser Warning recievers and not to mention it has Okhotnik Image processing system to automatically track and lockon targets. I am drooling over T-15 and Kurganetz, but not so much over T-14.

    Just look at the APS coverage.



    Red = Radar
    Purple = APS tubes against vertical attacks
    Blue = APS system against Top attacks and rear attacks
    Yellow = Laser Warning Reciever
    Dark Green = Moveable Smoke Grenade Launchers
    Bright Green = some protective System that was installed on T-80UD if i remember correctly, but someone has to point it out for me, don't remember much about it.
    Arena on T-80UM-1

    RLS?
    avatar
    alexZam

    Posts : 343
    Points : 399
    Join date : 2015-04-23
    Location : SoCal

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  alexZam on Mon May 04, 2015 11:07 pm

    Turret of T-15 and Boomerang - Boomerang-M:

    avatar
    Khepesh

    Posts : 1667
    Points : 1736
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Khepesh on Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Right now i am much more impressed with Kurganetz 25 BMP and T-15 BMP.

    Just look at the protection and APS coverage, every damn side is covered against horizontal deployed weapons aswell as Top attack weapons, fitted with ERA and a damn nice set of Targeting systems, Laser Warning recievers and not to mention it has Okhotnik Image processing system to automatically track and lockon targets. I am drooling over T-15 and Kurganetz, but not so much over T-14.

    Just look at the APS coverage.



    Red = Radar
    Purple = APS tubes against vertical attacks
    Blue = APS system against Top attacks and rear attacks
    Yellow = Laser Warning Reciever
    Dark Green = Moveable Smoke Grenade Launchers
    Bright Green = some protective System that was installed on T-80UD if i remember correctly, but someone has to point it out for me, don't remember much about it.
    Arena on T-80UM-1

    RLS?
    "Jack in the box" munitions activated by radar, same as on BMP-3

    Strizh

    Posts : 132
    Points : 131
    Join date : 2014-05-06

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Strizh on Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 pm

    And where are the launchers for the top attack APS? And the "low" angle doesn't cover the top of the vehicle.
    I am disappointed.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 am

    Strizh wrote:And where are the launchers for the top attack APS? And the "low" angle doesn't cover the top of the vehicle.
    I am disappointed.

    http://www.niistali.ru/products/nauka/protection/uplook_protection/

    КОМПЛЕКС ЗАЩИТЫ ВЕРХНЕЙ ПОЛУСФЕРЫ (КЗВП)

    Принцип действия комплекса основан на обнаружении подлетающего высокоточного боеприпаса, поражающего с верхней полусферы, и нарушения работы его системы наведения либо мощным электромагнитным импульсом, либо созданием над защищаемым объектом многоспектрального аэрозольного облака и ложных ИК-целей.

    COMPLEX PROTECTION OF THE UPPER HEMISPHERE (CSWP)

    The principle of operation is based on the detection of an incoming high-precision munition, striking with the upper hemisphere, and disrupting its guidance system or a powerful electromagnetic pulse, or on a securable multi-spectral aerosol cloud and a false thermal targets.


    Strizh

    Posts : 132
    Points : 131
    Join date : 2014-05-06

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Strizh on Tue May 05, 2015 12:25 am

    ^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral
    avatar
    Cpt Caz

    Posts : 86
    Points : 95
    Join date : 2013-09-08

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Cpt Caz on Tue May 05, 2015 12:29 am

    Boomerang with 30mm:

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Tue May 05, 2015 12:29 am

    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    Strizh

    Posts : 132
    Points : 131
    Join date : 2014-05-06

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Strizh on Tue May 05, 2015 12:34 am

    Werewolf wrote:
    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    I seriously can't understand why they didn't implement an anti top attack APS system. And no the radars on the T15 are to low for top attack weapons, I've watched some videos and the incoming missiles are almost vertical - 80°.

    A huge disappointment dunno
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5270
    Points : 5477
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 am

    Strizh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    I seriously can't understand why they didn't implement an anti top attack APS system. And no the radars on the T15 are to low for top attack weapons, I've watched some videos and the incoming missiles are almost vertical - 80°.

    A huge disappointment dunno  

    I still suspect that for top attack they have those flat panels covered with a sheet connected with a wire, that are pointing upwards in 45-60° angle which could work against top attack weapons, the explosion should be big enough to kill them.

    Marked in blue.


    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3988
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue May 05, 2015 12:44 am

    Strizh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    I seriously can't understand why they didn't implement an anti top attack APS system. And no the radars on the T15 are to low for top attack weapons, I've watched some videos and the incoming missiles are almost vertical - 80°.

    A huge disappointment dunno  

    How are they Low?

    See how the Trophy is implemented. It isn't low at all, it is actually prepositionned for top attack.



    Strizh

    Posts : 132
    Points : 131
    Join date : 2014-05-06

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Strizh on Tue May 05, 2015 1:29 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Strizh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    I seriously can't understand why they didn't implement an anti top attack APS system. And no the radars on the T15 are to low for top attack weapons, I've watched some videos and the incoming missiles are almost vertical - 80°.

    A huge disappointment dunno  

    How are they Low?

    See how the Trophy is implemented. It isn't low at all, it is actually prepositionned for top attack.




    The radar has a too low angle for recognizing top attack missiles:
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3988
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue May 05, 2015 1:38 am

    Strizh wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Strizh wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Strizh wrote:^Great again a system which «Не имеющий аналогов в мире» and will work as good as smoke screens against modern ATGMs...
    What a crap, promised an APS system build a smoke screen launcher Neutral

    Well, such a system will break guidance of any IIR/IR guided missile, but Laser Beam riders are still a threat and they easily to manufactor and much cheaper, i hope they will change that later, shouldn't be hard to develop APS vertical launchers right where the vertical smoke grenade launchers are with the T-80#UM1 Arena Radar pointing upwards, like it was seen on T-15 (which pointed forward) it should actually cover enough top hemisphere to actually deal with top attack weapons.

    I seriously can't understand why they didn't implement an anti top attack APS system. And no the radars on the T15 are to low for top attack weapons, I've watched some videos and the incoming missiles are almost vertical - 80°.

    A huge disappointment dunno  

    How are they Low?

    See how the Trophy is implemented. It isn't low at all, it is actually prepositionned for top attack.




    The radar has a too low angle for recognizing top attack missiles:

    Do actually understand that top attack missiles need to be fired at some point? How do you think the Merkava does it to point the tank vs the source of fire? It's called a radar...
    avatar
    alexZam

    Posts : 343
    Points : 399
    Join date : 2015-04-23
    Location : SoCal

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  alexZam on Tue May 05, 2015 5:14 am

    Height reference...


    Sponsored content

    Re: Kurganets & Boomerang Discussions Thread #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:02 am