Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russia Sports News:

ATLASCUB

Re: Russia Sports News:

Post  ATLASCUB on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Wonder if the timing of this ban has to do with Putin announcing his bid to run again. Or if Putin's announcement is a response....although highly unlikely. More probable that it's the other way around. Maybe I'm over-analyzing and it's just a "coincidence". But I know better when it comes to shit like this.
    BKP

Post  BKP on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Yes, a wond'rous victory for the mighty 59-or-so state Coalition! Maybe I'm nuts, but I still think I'd still take that relatively minor win in Syria over this one, though. dunno

ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 pm

BKP wrote:Yes, a wond'rous victory for the mighty 59-or-so state Coalition! Maybe I'm nuts, but I still think I'd still take that relatively minor win in Syria over this one, though. dunno

Pre-war Syria vs. Syria today puts into perspective the word "win". From Russia's POV, more like acknowledging the enemy knocking hard at its fence posts, confronting it and fighting it to turn things back to pre-war Syria (which is still far from achieved).

The Syrian "civil war" is still at net value, a win for the U.S all things considered. The country being destroyed that's a literal battlefield is not Israel, or Jordan or Saudi Arabia - it's the Russian ally in Russia's backyard that's in flames.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm

ATLASCUB wrote:..............
    The Syrian "civil war" is still at net value, a win for the U.S all things considered. The country being destroyed that's a literal battlefield is not Israel, or Jordan or Saudi Arabia - it's the Russian ally in Russia's backyard that's in flames.

It took them to go up in flames before they finally decided that they want to be Russian ally.

It's definitely a win for Russia. And it clears up some annoying BS as a bonus.
    BKP

Post  BKP on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm

ATLASCUB wrote:
    BKP wrote:Yes, a wond'rous victory for the mighty 59-or-so state Coalition! Maybe I'm nuts, but I still think I'd still take that relatively minor win in Syria over this one, though. dunno

Pre-war Syria vs. Syria today puts into perspective the word "win". From Russia's POV, more like acknowledging the enemy knocking hard at its fence posts, confronting it and fighting it to turn things back to pre-war Syria (which is still far from achieved).

Plan A & B have failed. Plan C growing more tenuous with each passing day. US prestige in the region has taken a big hit. US, Iz & SA now looking like a deranged hydra, lashing out in all directions. Billions wasted (pretty typical). EU societial order rocked. This is an absolutely lousy ROI.

OTOH, Russia's stock way up. Her military and diplomatic prowess proven to all participants and observers. Ample testing opportunities well taken advantage of. Everyone in the ME reacting to the obvious geopolitical sea-change and beating the path to Moscow. Smiles and Hugs for the still-firmly-ensconced Assad. Sure, the political landscape of Syria will evolve, but it's government will remain secular. The Syrian people will long gratefully remember their Russian ally.

Yes, I suppose you could say there's not a completely unqualified win or loss for any side, but I can see no sane way to spin this outcome into an overall "win" for the US and its allies.

ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:45 pm

BKP wrote:
    ATLASCUB wrote:

Plan A & B have failed. Plan C growing more tenuous with each passing day. US prestige in the region has taken a big hit. US, Iz & SA now looking like a deranged hydra, lashing out in all directions. Billions wasted (pretty typical). EU societial order rocked. This is an absolutely lousy ROI.

OTOH, Russia's stock way up. Her military and diplomatic prowess proven to all participants and observers. Ample testing opportunities well taken advantage of. Everyone in the ME reacting to the obvious geopolitical sea-change and beating the path to Moscow. Smiles and Hugs for the still-firmly-ensconced Assad. Sure, the political landscape of Syria will evolve, but it's government will remain secular. The Syrian people will long gratefully remember their Russian ally.

Yes, I suppose you could say there's not a completely unqualified win or loss for any side, but I can see no sane way to spin this outcome into an overall "win" for the US and its allies.

I just value and weight things a bit different. Take for example Vietnam. "Huge embarrassment" bla bla... in the end it didn't matter shit. What had long lasting effect was the fear of U.S intervention in the region and the destruction of Vietnam hampering its growth post-war. The Soviets collapsed and now Vietnam has good ties with the U.S relatively speaking. I could go on but in the end, some people value some things different and that's why we have opinions. Only way I can see this proxy war as a net negative for the U.S is if side-effects fall onto U.S vassals in the region - which it won't.
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

As papa said, the KHL gets more money than the winter olympics. As stated why Canada didn't even bother sending their best players for the winter olympics - NHL pays more as it gets more views.

This will just drastically reduce the olympics viewership and money generation thus causing more harm to it. In the end, Universaid and KHL will be money generators for Russia, oh and the soccer matches as well, but even after FIFA, I have no idea if it will be as profitable or not.

Firebird

Post  Firebird on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Nearly all the Olympic sponsors are US corporations. One British, one Japanese, one Chinese. I think what all Russians and their supporters should do is email these corporations and say you will boycott them, and refuse any form of business with them too.

Likewise nearly all the IOC heads are NATO or their cronies ie vassals.

The Olympics is a joke. Look at sterodi bloated cheats like the Williams brothers, Simone Biles etc. Even the British press admit that British athletes are on drugs especially the cycling. Mo Farah's coach is a blatant cheat.

The allegedly Russian hack of WADA shows that dope testing is a joke. Jsut belong to NATO/the Evil Empire and get a "therapeutic use exemption" like the Williamses, Froom, Wiggins, Biles etc. Look how they persecuted Sharapova when Williams is as guilty as fuck.

Anyway, I'm starting by emailing Olympic sponsors. To call that propagandist garbage sport is an insult to my intelligence.
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah, just realized that winter sports are very... NATO-centric. No kidding, just look at the countries: Nordic countries (Sweden and Finland are very much NATO-aligned as well, so is the whole of Western Europe), Canada and USA, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria... Poland, Japan, etc. No countries from South America, Africa, most of Asia... Compare that to the summer Olympics and FIFA World Cup. It's no coincidence.
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Question

Question: would Russians be allowed to wear USSR jerseys during Olympics? Russian ones are banned but who decides on what they wear instead?

Firebird

Post  Firebird on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Kimppis wrote:Yeah, just realized that winter sports are very... NATO-centric. No kidding, just look at the countries: Nordic countries (Sweden and Finland are very much NATO-aligned as well, so is the whole of Western Europe), Canada and USA, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria... Poland, Japan, etc. No countries from South America, Africa, most of Asia... Compare that to the summer Olympics and FIFA World Cup. It's no coincidence.

I was writing about the IOC.
    http://thesaker.is/a-short-commentary-on-the-expulsion-of-russian-from-the-next-olympics-games/

But yes, the Winter Olympic lot would be even more NATO-centric.

I really hope Russia take a pound of flesh off them for this.
    Too much parrying attacks, not enough delivering them from Russia IMO.

This blog has some good links/discussion re WADA's scamming.

https://futuristrendcast.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/like-rice-without-kimchi-or-football-without-spain-s-koreans-on-potential-russia-ban-from-2018-olympics/
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:43 am

Firebird wrote:I really hope Russia take a pound of flesh off them for this.
    Too much parrying attacks, not enough delivering them from Russia IMO.

Hope so as well but I think it's unlikely in this particular case. As was mentioned in the previous posts, they don't have any say in the governing body

----

Interesting news...

Champion boxer Floyd Mayweather seeks Russian citizenship
    http://www.fort-russ.com/2017/12/champion-boxer-floyd-mayweather-seeks.html

Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 pm

SK for all it's economic power has just proven that they are no more than a helpless, passive observer while they're own fate is being decided...qiute pathetic!

Guarantor of Olympic Peace: South Korea Wants Putin in Pyeongchang
    https://sputniknews.com/asia/201712101059875998-olympics-putin-peace/

GarryB

Post  GarryB Yesterday at 4:08 am

I am glad Russia has not boycotted the games... that would be unfair to their athletes even though it would be a useful message to send to the IOC.

These athletes don't just roll out of bed the week the games start and decide to compete.... they have been working hard and training for years for this, so for the IOC to say they can't go just with the strike of a pen is disgusting.

To ban all Russians they also need to ban all Americans because of their drugs cheats and all the Chinese because of their drugs cheats.

If they were serious about it they should test all competitors just before and after events and there should be no exceptions... a banned substance is a banned substance.... the Williams sisters claiming it is medical is just a joke.

Sadly New Zealand is now as much to blame.... we have a weightlifter who used to be a man and now he identifies as being a woman who competes against women and funny enough he has won a gold medal... but it is the Russians that can't compete...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    kvs

Post  kvs Yesterday at 4:58 am

Cyberspec wrote:SK for all it's economic power has just proven that they are no more than a helpless, passive observer while they're own fate is being decided...qiute pathetic!

Guarantor of Olympic Peace: South Korea Wants Putin in Pyeongchang
    https://sputniknews.com/asia/201712101059875998-olympics-putin-peace/

Pathetic response by Russian officials. Russia does not need to boycott, it needs to ignore these sham Oympics:

1) no TV coverage (saving lots of money)

2) no support for athletes to compete under any rag other than the Russian flag. If they badly want to go
    and embarrass themselves, then it should not be on taxpayer coin.

Medvedev was yapping as if he accepts the ludicrous McLaren report and its voodoo claims (e.g. unproven
    tampering of samples treated as tampering by unknown method) and based on a single criminal, Rodchenkov,
    who has a clear conflict of interest in his accusations. The McLaren report would never stand up as evidence
    at any civil or criminal trial.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Yesterday at 6:00 am

One more thing we agree on Smile

here's another TV debate on the topic
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Today at 12:47 am

It is perfectly understandable that politicians and athletes see the ban in different ways...

The politicians see it as the political action that it is and know that if you just keep following the rules nothing will change and nothing will improve... they can keep using claims to upset the Russian athletes... one day before an event or one week before an event... so even if you get to go to an olympics you might not actually get to compete...

Amazing that in the politically correct west that you can't be banned because you are gay, but you can be banned for being Russian...

I hope Russia is not contributing to any funding to the IOC.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 pm