Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russia Sports News:

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russia Sports News:

Post  George1 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Russia defeats New Zealand 2-0 in opening match of 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

More:
    http://tass.com/sport/951970

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 am

Barely a mention here in NZ.

Soccer is very popular as a childrens sport (I think mothers think their little darling will be safer playing Soccer than Rugby) but few continue to play as adults.

NZ TV is all about rugby, rugby league, golf, and netball and of course cricket.

You get a bit of rowing or sailing occasionally, but otherwise not much is shown on mainstream tv.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 pm

GarryB wrote:

NZ TV is all about rugby, rugby league, golf, and netball and of course cricket.

You get a bit of rowing or sailing occasionally, but otherwise not much is shown on mainstream tv.

Which of these above mentioned sport is the most popular in New Zealand ? I suspect it is rugby. I've seen people play cricket here in the UK but it seems to be a complicated game. Back home in Belarus & in Russia no one knows what cricket is.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am

Rugby is generally accepted as NZs fav sport to watch on TV, and our national team is one of the best in the world... I don't think that is a coincidence BTW.

When we get success in other sports they often are on TV for a bit... it really goes in cycles.

Soccer is very widely played by school age children but few continue to play as adults... most soccer coaches at a professional level have strong British accents normally...

The only time we see a wider range of sports on TV is during the Olympics and even then they focus on the events we have competitors in.

Of course having said that there are events we have success in that are not televised anyway.

There is a hard core that love cricket here and at times we do have a very good team that plays well, but often vastly overshadowed by Rugby... and netball.

Sadly things are changing... I notice that the commentators are using US terminology... before we had pool play where a groups of teams would play each other to see who goes through to the next round... all of a sudden they now call it conference play, which my brother tells me is grid iron talk... we are being assimilated...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:35 pm

GarryB wrote:Sadly things are changing... I notice that the commentators are using US terminology...

Soccer is very widely played by school age children but few continue to play as adults... most soccer coaches at a professional level have strong British accents normally...

Starting with you clown
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:47 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Sadly things are changing... I notice that the commentators are using US terminology...

Starting with you clown

Word ''soccer' is like Voight-Kampff test for identifying Yankees... lol1
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB Yesterday at 8:38 am

No.

Soccer is a term used by Rugby supporters to describe the game played with a round ball.

Football is another name for Rugby or Rugby league.

Just like here Hockey means field hockey, so if you are talking about ice hockey or underwater hockey you need to specify ice or underwater...

If you say hockey it is assumed you mean field hockey... if you are talking about football you are talking about rugby.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm