Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
Isos
higurashihougi
william.boutros
marcellogo
dino00
Hole
LMFS
Batajnica
Jhonwick3
The-thing-next-door
kopyo-21
d_taddei2
jhelb
Big_Gazza
Cheetah
T-47
ATLASCUB
AmbiOpinion
PapaDragon
hoom
marat
Rmf
franco
miketheterrible
Benya
rambo54
x_54_u43
max steel
GunshipDemocracy
OminousSpudd
Book.
KRATOS1133
Viktor
sepheronx
Mike E
eridan
Indian Flanker
Werewolf
AlfaT8
sheytanelkebir
Deep Throat
Vann7
zino
zg18
magnumcromagnon
calripson
mack8
xeno
Morpheus Eberhardt
ali.a.r
Cyberspec
Karria
Hachimoto
KomissarBojanchev
Rpg type 7v
gaurav
collegeboy16
George1
Sujoy
Zivo
flamming_python
gloriousfatherland
Mindstorm
TR1
TheArmenian
Stealthflanker
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Admin
Austin
medo
Russian Patriot
76 posters

Pantsir-S1 News Thread:

GarryB
    GarryB

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Empty Re: Pantsir-S1 News Thread:

Post  GarryB Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 am

i just wonder since Pantsir-S1 is such a capable system , why do they need to waste money building Morfei system , just upgrade the Pantsir-1 Missiles and Guns and make it usable for all 3 service.

Pantsir-S1 is a long bulky two stage missile that would not suit internal carriage on a 5th gen fighter.

It is also very simple and cheap which makes it an excellent missile because it means you can produce it in enormous numbers and actually use it during testing and exercises.

Standard practise in the west with expensive missiles is for everyone in the unit to train and practise on simulators and the soldier with the best performance gets to fire off a live round.

With SAMs you can use missiles without warheads and drones with telemetry equipment to measure how close the missile gets to the drone, but obviously a direct hit will demolish a drone through pure kinetic energy... using real but obsolete cruise missiles as targets means real practise against real targets.

Very simply however in many ways you can think of Morfei and Pantsir-S1 as being different systems with different goals.

In the air and on the water and on land the Morfei is primarily to protect the vehicle that carries it and things in its very immediate vicinity like an HQ or Radar etc.

The much longer range and altitude of the pantsir-S1 makes it an area SAM with decent altitude capabilities while retaining low cost missiles.

In practise the difference is shown in the Air Force use... the Morfei will equip fighters for self defence, while Pantsir-S1 will defend air bases, other SAMs, and in its HERMES form it will equip attack helos and CAS aircraft.

At sea it has the potential to replace Kashtan-M and Klintok, but in practise I think upgraded Klinok might be replaced with a combination of the short range (40km) Redut missile and the short range Morfei missile... the late model Klintok can reach targets at 18-20km which means helos and fixed wing aircraft with short range missiles like Hellfire and Maverick can be engaged along with the missiles, but with Morfei you can probably engage a wider range of incoming threats, while the 40km range Redut missile can hit aerial launch platforms even further out.

Of course with the Redut launcher including the two small S-400 missiles (120km and 40km range) plus Morfei, you could load a combination of all three missiles to suit the likely conditions, whereas Klintok and Pantsir-S1 are less flexible, though certainly capable at what they do.

Morfei will not be cheap. (I mean missile wise, it will have an initially expensive seeker and new thrust vectoring nozzle rocket motor plus datalink). Klintok (which is TOR) and Pantsir-S1 have very cheap simple missiles that can be made in huge numbers.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 pm

Russian Air Force to get 60 air defense systems in 2012

The Russian Air Force is planning to acquire about 60 new and modernized air defense systems in 2012, Air Force spokesman Col. Vladimir Drik said on Thursday.

“The new acquisitions include S-400 long-range air defense missile systems, Nebo-U radars and Pantsir-S1 short range missile/gun systems,” Drik said.

The Air Force will receive up to 10 Su-34 Fullback fighter-bombers, about 10 Su-25SM Frogfoot attack fighters, and an unspecified number of Su-35S Flanker-E multirole fighters.

The Su-35S is Russia’s advanced “Generation 4++” fighter.

New acquisitions will also include over 20 attack helicopters, such as the Mi-28N Night Hunter and the Ka-52 Alligator, as well as “highly modernized” Mi-35 Hind helicopters.

The Air Force will also receive about 30 Mi-8 transport and five Mi-26T heavy lift helicopters.

http://www.en.ria.ru/news/20111201/169210478.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 am

So although they lost the PVO portion of their forces, they will still retain SAMS and radars and presumably interceptors?

This will mean each Russian unit will have two air defence structures... the local district service based structure, and the VKO.

So an Army unit of Engineers working on a bridge will have an Army air defence unit protecting them while they work, but might also have VKO units protecting it, if it is strategically important enough.

The interesting thing would be if the bridge they were building was across a river that divided two districts, which might cause issues about whos SAMs can cover what airspace for the Army, but as the VKO operates over the whole country it has no operational boundries to worry about.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Big10610

It seems Russian air force will get Pantsirs with new Janus faced search radar.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm

I wonder how this new AESA radar folds out of the way when not in use and when it is to be air cargoed?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 am

I would suspect it simply folds backwards to the horizontal like the previous models did.

This should be a huge improvement in tracking performance... they will likely use one of these vehicles in each unit to improve surveillance performance.

Obviously the only advantage is in tracking more targets and keeping a more precise track on them as the track will be updated more regularly.

A fixed 4 face array on the other hand could have replaced the tracking antenna and greatly increased the number of missiles guided to targets at one time.

This is however a tracking radar, and not a tracking and guidance radar, and still relies on mechanical steering.

Nice pic... thanks for sharing.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Search radar will be stored horizontally behind the turret in the same way as previous radar was. There is enough space for that. Interesting is, that in every corner of radar is small antenna, which looks like RWR sensor on Ka-52 or Mi-28. Maybe they also increase passive detecting capabilities for search radar, what means Pantsirs inside battery could passively triangulate all stealth targets, which use any emitter or in heavy jamming could triangulate source of jamming without turning radar on.

I think this new search radar will have better capabilities against very small RCS and fast targets, that Pansir could be also used as C-RAM system.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Russia to Receive 30 Vityaz Air Defense Systems by 2020

The Russian Air Force will receive over 30 Vityaz and 100 Pantsir-S air defense systems by 2020, spokesman Col. Vladimir Drik said on Monday.

“We are planning to acquire by 2020 more than 100 short-range Pantsir-S and over 30 mid-range Vityaz systems to rearm air defense units,” Drik said.

Pantsir-S is a short-to-medium range combined surface-to-air missile and antiaircraft artillery system designed to protect point and area targets.

It carries up to 12 two-stage solid-fuel surface-to-air missiles in sealed ready-to-launch containers and has two dual 30 mm automatic cannons that can engage targets at a range of up to 4 km.

The Vityaz is expected to replace the outdated S-300PS systems, whose service life is coming to an end in the next two years.

The Vityaz will complement the Morfey, the S-400 and the S-500 air defense systems in the future aerospace defense network to engage targets at ranges from five to 400 kilometers, and at altitudes from five meters to near space.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Only 100? Is that 100 additional unit to what has already been delivered?

EDIT: I need to read more carefully, more than Smile.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 pm

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120123/170906930.html

Russian air force will receive 30 Vityaz systems and 100 Pantsir-S1 up to 2020.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am

Excellent.

I would assume they mean Batteries when they say systems.

That means 600 vehicles with guns and missiles plus a battery radar vehicle to support operations.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 am

Not a chance in hell they are acquiring 600 Pantsir vehicles before 2020 (or ever). Need is simply not that large anymore.

Over 100 units just for AD unit defense isn't bad though.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:22 am

There will be more than 100 S-300/S-400/S-500 batteries in operation by 2020, and each battery will not have a single vehicle of Pantsir operating with it... it will be at least one battery.

Also keep in mind that the VKKO, the VVS, and the Army will all be using Pantsir-S1. Even the Navy will be using it too.

The UAE ordered 50... do you think Russias needs are about double that of the UAE?

According to Wiki under the Pantsir-S1 page under the users section it says:

Will begin entering service with the Russian Air Force and the first deliveries began in 2008. It will eventually replace the Tunguska-M1 currently used by the Russian Air Force.[15] Russia currently operates some 31 units of the Pantsir-S1, rounding out by 2016 to roughly 300.

By units I assume it means vehicles and therefore 300 vehicles by 2016.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 am

That's fairy tales, no way they can even produce 300 for Russia alone by 2016. So far there have been between 10-20 delivered to combat units. Such a big order would not escape notice anyways, given the big deal made over the first batch handover.

Regarding Navy using it, that;s not certain by a long shot. The proposed naval Panstir was basically the producers commercial, not anything currently existing or planned as far as we know.
    Big question if army intends to order it, though that would be easier adoption.

UAE does have big order, but they don't have nearly the same inventory/purchase plans when it comes to SAMs of lower and high capabilities.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 am

AFAIK the plans are for the Pantsir-S1 to replace Tunguska and Shilka and Kashtan in Army, Air Force, Air Defence Force, and Navy units.

Air Defence Forces will have plenty of S-400 and S-500 systems around strategic sites and will use Pantsir-S1 as protection for the Heavy SAMs.

Its ability to engage 4 targets at one time (ie 4 guidance channels) together with the very high speed of the missiles means it would be very difficult to overwhelm the system... especially a battery.

I am not 100% certain they will meet the figure of 600 vehicles, but 100 vehicles by 2020 would be pathetic and would in no way replace the in service Tunguska let alone Shilka which is still in service.

They have a target of 70% new stuff by 2020, so unless their total Tunguska pool is currently 150 vehicles then I think the numbers are reasonable.

I would think production for export will be quite high too.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm

I hope so. 100 vehicles in 10 years is quite small number. I'm sure KBP is able to produce around 60 vehicles per year.
    Mindstorm

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Empty 100 Pantsyr-S1

Post  Mindstorm Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm

By 2020 Russian procurement plan only for the strategic level of Air Defence sector foresee the deployment of 28 regiments of S-400 ; each of those regiments of S-400 include two or three divisions (the four regiments planned for Moscow's defence will have three divisions each),each of those divisions has 8 to 12 launchers and 6 to 8 transloaders , we talk therefore of a minimum number of S-400 launchers of 448 !
    At that we must add the planned 10 regiments of S-500...

From what just said appear evident that Pantsyr-S will be employed in the anti-PGM/cruise missile point defence taskat defence of strategic long range Air defence systems (together with IAD integrated Tor-M1/2 and Igla-S) only until operational introduction of Morfey SAM system that will be vastly susperior in this specific role ,at this point the main SAM composition of National Air Space Defence will comprehend almost exclusively S-500-S-400-Vytiaz-Morfey and Pantsyr-S (with Tor-M2 and eventually Buk-M2/3) will be very likely assigned to Army's IAD and its S-300V4 dvisons

TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

medo wrote:I hope so. 100 vehicles in 10 years is quite small number. I'm sure KBP is able to produce around 60 vehicles per year.

KBP is the designing bureau which also does the final assembly of the system. Most of the parts for the Pantsir are made by other entities such as: Tulamash makes the guns, Kamaz makes the trucks etc. etc.

I don't think there is a potential to make 60 vehicles per year at the moment. 10 per year for the Russians and another 10 per year for export (UAE, Syria, Belarus etc.) is more realistic.

I don't think the Pantsirs are replacements for the Tunguskas. Wheeleed Pantsirs are all we have seen so far, these can not keep up with tanks and other tracked vehicles. As Garry said, the Pantsirs are more to protect less mobile assets. In case the tracked version gets also produced, then maybe when can see production rates double or even triple.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:02 pm

There is for some years a prototype of tracked Pantsir, which use the same chassis as Tor and Tunguska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6834993Posg
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Pantsir-S1 is a system that can have a range of mounts including a fixed mount for protecting fixed sites like Airfields or HQs, which can also be mounted on boats as a naval system.

There are tracked models and models with a range of different chassis.

Originally the Pantsir was the shelterised (truck, trailer, or fixed) and cheaper version of Tunguska. It had more basic single barrel guns and 12km range missiles.

The current Pantsir-S1 is the ideal replacement for the Tunguska, as the GM-xxxx vehicles the Tunguska is based upon is made in Belarus, so a change to a Russian chassis base will be a step forward.

I rather suspect their might even be an air mobile model base on a light vehicle... perhaps with a single gun on one side of the turret and 4-6 missiles on the other... or it might be a lighter missile like SOSNA or Morfei.

I rather hope that it is either 100 batteries, or they meant more than 100 systems... and actually meant 200-300 vehicles, because 100 is poor for such a small system. 100 vehicle launchers is more like production expectations for S-400, not a light SAM.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 am

Probably batteries as mindstorm explained 48 regiments actually mean 480 lounchers witch is quite good by 2020 and it not like they will stop after 2020.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:04 am

Ok, let's make bets. I maintain the number of Pantsirs in Russian ground forces use, before 2020, will not exceed 300, and even that I consider generous.
    If I lose, I will send everyone in the thread a bottle of Russian standard platinum.

Will check back on this thread in 8 years time :p.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 am

Well according to Wiki the Russian Army alone uses about 256 Tunguskas with the Navy using 133 Shilkas in active service last year (2011) and talk of the Navy being fully rearmed in 2015... plus the fact that the Pantsir-S1 has been settled on as the standard defensive SAM to protect larger SAMs in Air Force and VKO use... that means one Pantsir-S battery for each S-400 and S-500 battery I think if everything goes to plan they might not need 600 vehicles, but they will certainly need rather more than 100.

Of course we have to agree that we are talking about the Pantsir-S1 system which can be track mounted, truck mounted, trailer mounted, and fixed unit mounted on land or at sea.

From what I have read the Kuznetsov alone will have 8 systems fitted.

Morfei is coming too and while it should be a very capable system it will be short ranged and not particularly cheap to use.

The Pantsir-S1 is in many ways comparable to early model SA-11s... especially against small and crossing targets.

By assuming less than 300 vehicles you are saying less than 50 batteries for the Russian military to 2020?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:05 am

BTW I am not a betting man, so I wont hold you to your bet.

If I am wrong I will be more than a little disappointed in the low numbers of systems.
    Austin

Post  Austin Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:54 pm

PANTSIR-S1 AIR-DEFENCE MISSILE GUN SYSTEM
    Author: Igor Stepanichev, Valery Slugin - Igor Stepanichev, acting director general of KBP Instrument Design Bureau
    Valery Slugin, general designer of discipline, section chief
    Military Parade, No. 6, 2011, page(s): 6-11

The Pantsir-S1 air- defence missile gun system (ADMGS) is the natural evolution of the Tunguska system designed in Tula by KBP instrument Design Bureau and put into service in 1982. The performance capabilities of air attack platforms changed drastically since the Tunguska system was put into service with the Soviet Armed Forces. There have emerged small size unmanned aerial vehicles, low altitude high precision cruise missiles and remotely guided combat and reconnaissance aerial vehicles featuring extremely low optical, radar and IR signature. Flight speed of some targets increased up to 1000 m/s. Missile armament of the Tunguska ADMGS intended for engagement of large manned aircraft turned out to be ineffective when countering new threats.

The Pantsir-S1 ADMGS was developed to fundamentally change the system's performance capabilities in terms of interception zones, reduction of time required for operation, capability to engage all types of targets and broader use of missile armament.

Outcome of the modern military conflicts (Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq) was to great extent determined by concentrated air strikes effected against the most important military and economic assets into the depth of the countries' territory.

Analysis of the said conflicts revealed that all air raids commence with suppression of the enemy's air defence by concentrated air attacks with the use of precision-guided weapons like Harm (ARM), cruise missiles like Tomahawk and guided aircraft bombs like GBU-15 and GBU-16.

A large number of drones may be flying above the objects under attack for adjustment of target coordinates and assessment of air raid efficiency

The system features:

• multitarget capability, i.e. engagement of virtually all types of aerial targets, primarily all types of precision-guided munitions approaching an object under defence at a speed of up to 1000 m/s from different directions, aircraft flying at a speed of up to 500 m/s, helicopters, UAV, as well as lightly armoured ground targets and enemy's manpower;

• combined missile and gun armament ensuring continuous impact area and continuous firing starting from a distance of 18-20 km to 200 m from targets at altitudes of 10 m to 15 km;

• multimode adaptive radar and optical weapon control system operating in UHF, EHF and IR wavebands, this ensuring high jamming immunity and survivability under electronic countermeasures and suppression by fire with the use of ECM means and HARM missiles, and high reliability of the system operation;

• high target engagement rate due to short reaction time, high speed missiles and availability of multi channel control system operating in wide sector;

• the use of high precision command missile guidance system allowed development of a small size and high maneuverability surface-to-air missile (SAM) featuring high efficiency and low cost;

• large number of missiles in one combat vehicle (12 pcs.);

• small size two-stage bi-caliber SAM with solid fuel booster ensuring high average speed, maneuverability and efficient engagement of all types of targets due to high lethality fragmentation rod warhead and high precision SAM guidance system;

• firing against a receding target ensures double increase of impact depth and the systems performance capabilities when used against manned aircraft, UAV, strategic cruise missiles and tactical cruise missiles;

• firing missiles on the move extends the system's combat application;

• fully automatic combat operation mode both as a stand-alone unit and within a battery consisting of several combat vehicles, this allowing to reduce psychophysical stress to crew members;

• independent combat use due to availability of means of detection, tracking and engagement in one combat vehicle;

• modular design of combat vehicle and system as a whole allows various modifications based on the basic system.

during an air attack. Moreover, sabotage groups airdropped in soft-skinned and lightly-armoured vehicles may break through to important objects under defence.

Therefore, SHORAD systems are also intended to engage drones, light combat vehicles and enemy's manpower in area of the defended objects.

Large number of targets and high density of air attacks require air defence assets to ensure high target engagement rate, as well as to possess a numerous ready-to-fire and quickly replenishable ammunition load.

Because of their high price the long range air-defence systems may not be available in sufficient quantity to ensure direct defence of a large number of small size and pin-point military and economic objects with a radius of 1.5-3.0 km which amount to minim of 70% of all the objects to be defended. Besides, the long range air-defence systems can not make use of their capabilities in short range and when used against low altitude targets in difficult terrain.

SHORAD systems with maximum firing range of 15-20 km play an important part in air defence. Systems of this class significantly outperform the long range systems in terms of cost efficiency.

The Pantsir-S1 SHORAD system (see the photo of the combat vehicle in Fig.1) designed at KBP Instrument Design Bureau (KBP) is intended for air defence of important small size and pin-point military and industrial objects, infantry units and tactical formations as well as for reinforcement of air defence groups at low and extremely low altitudes when countering concentrated air strikes effected with the use of precision-guided weapons.

Table 1 describes the main performance specifications of the Pantsir-S1 combat vehicle.

The mobile version of the Pantsir-S1 system includes: combat vehicles (up to 6 CV in one battery), surface-to-air missiles, 30mm rounds, transporter-loader vehicles (one loader per two CV), maintenance equipment and training equipment.

The combat vehicle is intended to perform the tasks assigned to the system in terms of engagement of a wide range of aerodynamic and ground targets including those lightly armoured and enemy's manpower.

Configuration of the system CV is described in Fig.2.

As seen in the figure the CV features modular design:

• control module accommodating CV crew;

• weapons module;

• turret mount;

• power supply system compartment (PSS).

The modular design allows various system configurations including stationary variant.

Various configurations of Pantsir-S1 AD system are shown in Fig. 3.

The system may be mounted on lightly armoured vehicles providing powerful and mobile air-defense asset for airborne assault troops, as well as on wheeled and tracked chassis for Air/Land Forces air-defense units or Navy vessels.

The information assets of the air-defense system include target search radar (TSR), target/missile tracking radar (TTR) and optical/electronic system (OES).

Make-up of the TSR is shown in Fig. 4.

TSR provides automatic tracking of up to 20 targets, submitting three coordinates and radial velocity component for each target into CV central computer. Besides that TSR identifies friendly/enemy targets and target types (plane, helicopter, small-size target), thus increasing the system kill probability.

High combat performance of Pantsir-S1 AD system is guaranteed substantially due to employment of multi-functional target tracking radar (TTR) featuring phased antenna array (PAA). The make-up of the TTR is shown in Fig. 5.

The TTR incorporates two stations one of which is a receive-only terminal intended for SAM beacon signal perception by few-element phased antenna array (PAA), the latter measuring three coordinates of SAM and employed for missile gathering into main radar pattern. The second multi-element PAA station is a transmitting-receiving antenna irradiating both SAM and target with the following specifications:

• coordinates determination accuracy:

- in azimuth, mrad - 0.2

- in elevation, mrad - 0.2

- in range, m - 3.0

- in velocity, m/sec - 2.0

• simultaneous automatic tracking:

- targets - up to 3

- missiles - up to 4

- maximum target detection range, RCS 2 m2, km - 24

- operating band - K

Table 1 - The main performance specifications of the system

Specification

Value
    Armament

Missile and gun
    Ammunition load, pcs:

• SAM in launcher guides

• artillery rounds

Control system configuration
    Target search radar, target tracking radar with phased antenna array, autonomous optical electronic system

Number of targets fired at simultaneously within the sector of ± 45°, pcs

Airplane detection range, km
    32 - 36

Airplane tracking range, km
    24 - 28

Impact zones, m:
    by missiles

• in range
    1200 - 20000

• in altitude
    10 - 15000

by guns

• in range
    200 - 4000

• in altitude
    0 - 3000

Maximum speed of targets, m/s

SAM guidance system
    radio command with IR and radar sighting

Response time, s
    4 - 6

Missile salvo capability
    ensured

Day and night, all-weather operation of gun and missile armament
    ensured

Engagement of ground targets by guns and missiles
    ensured

Firing guns and missiles on the move
    ensured

Crew members

Employment of PAA allows for implementation of three firing channels for three targets in all-weather radar mode, thus, the most critical target may be engaged with 2 SAM salvo. Besides, by means of the PAA gathering, the TTR provides radar acquisition and SAM gathering from the dispersion area of the first unguided stage of the missile flight into precise guidance channel of the main PAA. Employment of radar gathering allows for significant improvement of the missile flight performance due to application of high-energy composite propellant booster.

Along with target angular coordinates and range tracking the TTR also measures three coordinates of the SAM (two angles and range) based of the SAM beacon signals and transmits guidance commands to SAM.

The TTR operates in HF wave band providing for high precision of angular coordinates measurement and low-altitude targets handling.

Firing against ground targets and extremely low-altitude targets employs optical\electronic system (OES) of target and missile tracking. The make-up of the OES is shown in Fig. 6.

The OES is integrated into autonomous optical post (AOP) intended for laying the OES optical axes according to the signals received from the central computer within the following angular range:

CV main features:

• independent combat operation;

• combined missile and gun armament;

• multimode jamming resistant radar optical guidance system;

• all-weather capability;

• automatic combat operation mode;

• simultaneous firing against four targets;

• coordination of actions within the battery;

• armour protection of the crew against bullets and splinters.

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-210

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-310

• in azimuth, degr. - ± 90

• in elevation, degr. - from - 5 to + 82 OES provides final targeting

according to the target designation received from CC and automatic target acquisition as well. Target tracking is conducted in 3 -5 ƒm IR range and provides round-the-clock application of missile armament in optical operation mode. Automatic tracking range (with weather visibility range of 10 km) is as follows:

• F-16 aircraft, km - 17.0 - 26.0

• ARM "Harm", km - 13.0 - 15.0

• CM ALCM, km - 11.0 - 14.0

SAM sighting is conducted in close IR range spectrum (0,8 µm), the missile sustainer stage is sighted by the SAM optical responder pulse signals providing high jamming immunity of the channel from thermal dummy targets.

Narrow fields of view of the optical channels and high accuracy of the AOP gearless engine drives ensure measuring of the target and missile angular coordinates no worse than 0.05 mrad in azimuth and elevation channels.

Systematic errors of the missile and target channels of the OES are eliminated during the SAM launch while the process of automatic cross adjustment of the missile and target localizers is running.

Accurate measurement of the missile angular deviations from the target line-of-sight ensures high-precision missile guidance at a target in the optical mode of the control system. Optical mode provides missile firing against targets flying at extremely low altitudes (at a 5m altitude above water surface) and against ground targets.

This combat vehicle equipment makes its stand-alone operation possible. Availability of the hardware with digital communication channels enables Pantsir-S1 system to conduct battery operation in different modes:

• stand-alone combat operation;

• joint operation with command post;

• battery operation in master-slave mode;

• battery operation jointly with command post and long-range radar.

Different modes of Pantsir-S1 operation are shown in the Fig.7

Main features of the control system:

• simultaneous firing against four targets flying in the ±45° sector owing to the use of the multifunctional tracking radar incorporating the EHF-band phased antenna array and independent optical channel;

• high immunity to any type of jamming owing to integration of the radar and optical-electronic means into the single system which is able to function in dm-, mm-, and IR wave bands;

• capability of salvo firing by two missiles against one target owing to the use of the target tracking radar (TTR);

• short reaction time within 4 - 6 sec. owing to the automatic tracking of up to

The Pantsir-S1 ADMGS was developed to fundamentally change the system's performance capabilities in terms of interception zones, reduction of time required for operation, capability to engage all types of targets and broader use of missile armament.

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-410

20 targets by the target search radar (TSR) and target designating with an accuracy ensuring fast final targeting and target acquisition by TTR and optical-electronic system (OES);

• computation of informative characteristics including target motion rate and target characteristics, selection of weapon type and assigning firing mode;

• realization of a complete combat operation cycle - from targets searching to their destruction in automatic mode;

• crew combat operation semiautomatic mode capability.

The two-stage air-defense guided missile 57E6-E (Fig.Cool features.

The gun armament consists of two 2A38M double-barrel AA automatic guns adopted from the Tunguska-M1 weapon system. They are capable to engage air and ground-based targets in a zone of up to 4 km in range and of up to 3 km in altitude.

High performance characteristics of the air-defense missile-gun system Pantsir-S1 ensure great advantage over foreign countries short-range AD systems for the AD systems supplied with Pantsir-S1.

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-510

Purpose:

• target designation reception, fine search, automatic target acquisition and tracking:

- trajectory tracking- up to 8

- priority targets - up to 3

• post-launch automatic acquisition and tracking of up to 4 SAM

• encoding and transmission of guidance commands to the tracked SAMs

Features:

• main transmitting\receiving antenna with multielement feed-through mm-band PAA ensuring high-precision target and SAM tracking

• gathering phased-array receive-only antenna ensuring acquisition and gathering of SAM into main array

Azimuth coverage zone, degr...........................................±45

(360° subject to turret rotation)

Elevation coverage, degr...........................................-5 to +85

Maximum target tracking range, km:

- RCS=2m2 .........................................................24

- RCS=0.03m2........................................................7

Fine search area following TSR target designation

in 1 sec. with 0.9 probability:

- In azimuth, degr...................................................±2.5

- In elevation, degr..................................................±2.5

- In range, m......................................................±200

Target coordinates measurement precision:

- azimuth/elevation, mrad............................................0.2/0.2

- range, m .........................................................3.0

- velocity, m/sec......................................................2

Radial velocity measurement range, m/sec

-target......................................................10 to 1000

-SAM ......................................................30 to 2100

Simultaneous tracking:

- targets........................................................up to 3

- SAMs ........................................................up to 4

Operating band.......................................................K

Characteristic features:

- short flight time on the launch trajectory (t - 2.4s, Vmax = 1300m/s);

- high maneuverability after booster separation;

- low ballistic deceleration during booster-free flight (decrease of speed of 40 m/s over 1km);

- extended engagement envelope of 20km in range and 15 km in altitude;

- heavy weight of the warhead (20kg) at missile's low launch weight (75.7 kg)

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-610

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-710

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 4 Fig-810

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am