Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
Isos
higurashihougi
william.boutros
marcellogo
dino00
Hole
LMFS
Batajnica
Jhonwick3
The-thing-next-door
kopyo-21
d_taddei2
jhelb
Big_Gazza
Cheetah
T-47
ATLASCUB
AmbiOpinion
PapaDragon
hoom
marat
Rmf
franco
miketheterrible
Benya
rambo54
x_54_u43
max steel
GunshipDemocracy
OminousSpudd
Book.
KRATOS1133
Viktor
sepheronx
Mike E
eridan
Indian Flanker
Werewolf
AlfaT8
sheytanelkebir
Deep Throat
Vann7
zino
zg18
magnumcromagnon
calripson
mack8
xeno
Morpheus Eberhardt
ali.a.r
Cyberspec
Karria
Hachimoto
KomissarBojanchev
Rpg type 7v
gaurav
collegeboy16
George1
Sujoy
Zivo
flamming_python
gloriousfatherland
Mindstorm
TR1
TheArmenian
Stealthflanker
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Admin
Austin
medo
Russian Patriot
76 posters

Pantsir-S1 News Thread:

GarryB
    GarryB

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 9 Empty Re: Pantsir-S1 News Thread:

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Well... shortcomings or not (not imho) the pantsir-s1 is in service and is being used in currently running exercises.

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20130320/180140654/Russian-Air-Defense-Force-Starts-Massive-Drills.html

Russian Air Defense Force Starts Massive Drills

MOSCOW, March 20 (RIA Novosti) - More than 500 weapon systems, 50 aircraft and some 2,000 troops have been deployed in a large-scale air-defense exercise in eastern Russia, military officials said on Wednesday.

The exercise beginning on Wednesday in the Republic of Buryatia saw the use of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems, Osa, Buk, Strela and Shilka antiaircraft missiles, Igla man-portable SAM missiles, and Pantsir-S gun-missile systems, Eastern Military District press officer Lt. Col. Alexander Gordeyev said.

Gordeyev said the Pantsir-S systems were delivered to the district in late 2012.

The system combines a wheeled vehicle mounting a fire-control radar and electro-optical sensor, two 30-mm cannons and up to 12 57E6 short-range missiles. The Pantsir can engage targets at a range of 20 kilometers (12 miles) with missiles and at 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) with cannons.

The exercise is designed to test the readiness of the district’s air-defense forces and combat aviation to perform joint missions and rehearse a range of combat training tasks in modern warfare, Gordeyev said.

The exercise, under the command of Eastern Military District chief Adm. Konstantin Sidenko, will last through mid-April.

Note if you follow the above link one of the three photos shown is a Pantsir-S1 turret, though the article says the vehicle that is entering service has a wheeled chassis... which is interesting... good for mobility and reduced operational costs.

The photo shows the new search and tracking radar and the roof mounted EO system but it also shows a tracked hull, so it is not representative of the in service Pantsir-S1. Will be interesting to see any video footage of the exercises to see if it is in fact wheeled or if like the error including the Shilka as a SAM system rather than a gun system it was a mistake. Of course the Shilka-M4 does have igla.

By making the standard Pantsir-S1 for the air defence forces (Aerospace defence forces) a wheeled vehicle it means they are cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate so they can have more in service which is a good thing for air defence vehicles.

For the Army however, they will want tracked models to operate with tracked units and wheeled models to operate with wheeled units so they don't slow everything down. For this reason the new army pantsir-s1s will be armata/kurganets-25/boomerang-25/boomerang-10 based vehicles so they will match the armour and mobility of the other vehicles in the unit with the same components/engines etc.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 am

I have one question .IS THE PANTSYIR for export has wheeled chassis or tracked chassis..?
    Russian space forces have wheeled chassis.. and Russian air forces have tracked chassis..? is that so.. Question

There is one more things ..wheeled chassis has to be supported by hydraulic pillars on front and back abd then only
    the 2A38M guns can open fire .. this is done to prevent the "WHOLE VEHICLE" from toppling over..
    The guns are very powerful they generate lot of recoil and shock on the vehcle ? confused

In the missile case it can fire from both fixed and even when the vehicle is moving..IS that so..?
    I read it some where but I can't remember..

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

gaurav wrote:In the missile case it can fire from both fixed and even when the vehicle is moving..IS that so..?

Yes Pancir-S1 can fire missiles from the move or short stops.

As a matter of fact it can fire from the move with its radar turned off using

- optical channel
    - using data fed from other Pancir-S1 in master-slave configuration
    - using data fed from divisional command posts and independent radar system attached to it
    - using data fed from divisional command posts receiving fata from higher PVO echelon

And of course it can fire on the move with its radar turned on and of course any combination mentioned above which suits best to

combat conditions.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 am

I have one question .IS THE PANTSYIR for export has wheeled chassis or tracked chassis..?

That is up to the customer... they can get any colour they want too.

The wheeled version is currently popular as a standard export item because it is cheaper to buy and operate than a track layer, but there is a trailer based version and even a naval model for small patrol boats. AFAIK the trailer version can actually be positioned on a building like at an air field or command centre.

Russian space forces have wheeled chassis.. and Russian air forces have tracked chassis..? is that so..

Previously, yes, but now not so much.

The Aerospace Defence forces like the wheeled model because it is cheaper to buy and to operate and is as mobile as the other vehicles it will be operating with (ie S-400 etc) which are also wheeled.

The Russian Army however wants its air defence vehicles to keep up with the vehicles it is operating with including BMPs and BTRs and T series tanks, which previously meant tracked vehicles, but in the new brigade structure will mean an armata based pantsir-s1, a kurganets-25 based pantsir-s1, and a boomerang-25 based pantsir-s1 and perhaps a boomerang-10 based mini-pantsir-s2.

The Tunguska is not a light vehicle... at about 35 tons, it might be a squeeze to fit all its capability into a 25 ton vehicle, but squeezing it into a 10-15 ton vehicle would probably be too difficult. I suspect the light brigades will have either sosna-r based missiles... I remember reading an article a while back on future Russian SAMs and it mentioned a missile called Baikanok or something like that, which was described as being an 8km range laser beam riding missile. The other option might be a vertical launch version of Morfei.

In the missile case it can fire from both fixed and even when the vehicle is moving..IS that so..?

The Tunguska and Shilka could both fire guns while moving, but firing missiles is more problematic and I don't think Tunguska could fire missiles while moving.

The Pantsir-S1 is supposed to be able to fire guns and missiles while moving AFAIK... with reduced accuracy with guns of course.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:26 am

No way in hell the Pantsir can fire guns while moving.
    It would flip over.

Tracked Pantsir? Also doubt it, but for other reasons.

There was that video of it firing missile on the move though, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5EErUMjjA7c

Awesome.
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks to all for the details given on the most market hyped Russian product(pantsir-S1) cheers
    These details are really crucial as of now ..

One of the reasons is that Pantsir-S1 is really becoming a hot product in middle east market due to variety of reasons.. Smile

and also the most watched out product.. (It remains in top hit list of agencies of British, Israel, France eh eh eh.. Twisted Evil.)

The life support of British ,Israeli ,NATO jet fighters depend upon the information

their "agents inside Russia" are able to extract out from Russian Mil Ind complex.

Well good luck to them..

medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Pantsir itself could fire with both guns and missiles on the move. Wheeled Pantsir maybe could not fire with guns on the move, because they are placed too high and tires could not give to vehicle needed stability. On the other hand tracked vehicle is lower and far more stable on the move, so pantsir have no problem to fire on the move with guns as Tunguska and Shilka don't.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 pm

http://zavodfoto.livejournal.com/727936.html

Nice photos of KBP production, mostly Pantsir.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 am

Excellent photos. Have never seen something like it.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Interesting photos. Nice to see Pantsirs on MAN for UAE, brown Pantsirs on Kamaz probably for Syria and green Pantsirs on Kamaz with new search radar. I wonder if they are for domestic military or for Algeria.
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Is there a tracked version somewhere? Can it use 2-faced search radar like those green trucks?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm

The truck based models are for defending fixed or road mobile assets, where wheels are useful and low cost.

The Russian Army will likely a Kurganets-25 and Armata based tracked Pantsir-S1... and there will also likely be a wheeled Boomerang model too, though Typhoon will likely be too light for a standard model Pantsir-S1.

The two faced radar offers more accurate tracking and faster intercept calculations as it detects the target twice for each radar rotation instead of once. Ideally a fixed four face antenna with AESA elements would offer continuous 360 degree coverage... two faces is a compromise... better performance than one, but cheaper than four.
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

those antenae look like pesa's .
    so is aesa search and aiming radar all in one package planned for pantcir?
    that kind of radar wouldnt need rotating turret like the current one but what about the missiles ,they would need a new launching method.
    would aesa improve accuracy of radio guided missiles?
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 am

Rpg type 7v wrote:those antenae look like pesa's .
    that kind of radar wouldnt need rotating turret like the current one but what about the missiles ,they would need a new launching method.
    would aesa improve accuracy of radio guided missiles?

In standard Pantsir both search and tracking radar are PESA, but I could not tell for new Janus faced search radar. It's impossible to say, because moduls inside are covered with cover. Pantsir still need independent tracking radar for its guns and missiles are not ARH, but radio guided, so it need constant tracking of targets and missiles.

AESA would not improve accuracy for radio guided missiles itself, but could improve ECM resistance and could maybe see even smaller RCS of targets than existing radar which could see as small targets as 3 cm2.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 am

A PESA has the advantage of much lower cost, while still having the advantages of electronically scanned radar arrays... a full AESA would still be very expensive now, though in 5 years or so it might be much more affordable.

I have not seen any models of that... all the ones I have seen have separate search and tracking radar.

The cost of a radar vehicle would probably mean they went back to a separate radar vehicle... with the very high acceleration solid rocket motors vertical launch is not really an option and some sort of turret would still be needed.

Over the relatively short range Pantsir-S1 operates I don't think an AESA radar would make an enormous difference in performance, though more accurate tracking data about the target and missile would certainly improve performance.
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm

im sorry ,you said 4 fixed aesa antennas so i guessed they could continue search while tracking and aim at the target with certain percentage of their elements. the turret could still turn dispatching missiles around.
    the main problem is the aiming radar, if targets come from opposite directions or even 90 degrees to each other , the search radar would detect them but aiming radar has to be kept in the direction of the primary target ,crew cant turn the turret until the end of the engagement , because the missiles would lose control ,further more even guns would be useless because they move in tandem.
    so pantccir cant engage more then 1 target at a time if they are much offset to each other. (i dont know the working azimuth angle od the aiming radar but it cant be much).
    i guess that is why they added 1 more side to their search radar so that the crew could plan their strategy.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm

http://www.kbptula.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=351%3Al-1r-&catid=13%3A2011-09-06-10-28-34&Itemid=2&lang=ru

In early February 2013 Russian military demonstrate capabilities of Pantsir-S1 in Ashuluk polygon, where they have to destroy various tactical cruise missiles (PGM), air targets and ground targets. It was the first time, that Pantsir fire on the move with both guns and missiles.

They also show capabilities of Kornet-EM, where targets being delivered from Pantsir-S1, Kornet-EM first time fire on air targets. This make an interesting combination of Kornet-EM and Pantsir-S1.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed May 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Ok, I am going to have to see some footage of the truck moving and firing those guns at the same time.
    Because all I can imagine is those tall Kamaz trucks rolling over.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 am

Rpg type 7v wrote:im sorry ,you said 4 fixed aesa antennas so i guessed they could continue search while tracking and aim at the target with certain percentage of their elements. the turret could still turn dispatching missiles around.
    the main problem is the aiming radar, if targets come from opposite directions or even 90 degrees to each other , the search radar would detect them but aiming radar has to be kept in the direction of the primary target ,crew cant turn the turret until the end of the engagement , because the missiles would lose control ,further more even guns would be useless because they move in tandem.
    so pantccir cant engage more then 1 target at a time if they are much offset to each other. (i dont know the working azimuth angle od the aiming radar but it cant be much).
    i guess that is why they added 1 more side to their search radar so that the crew could plan their strategy.

This will help you.

Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 9 15f61s1
    Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 9 303d6hk

Besides Pancir-S1 can guide 4 missiles at the time (10 per minute). Targets that are out of the view of its shooting radar

will be passed on to another Pancir-S1 that will welcome it with its 10 missiles per minute and so on.

You get the picture - its all about net-centricity.

Nice Pancir-S1 pic
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 am

im sorry ,you said 4 fixed aesa antennas so i guessed they could continue search while tracking and aim at the target with certain percentage of their elements. the turret could still turn dispatching missiles around.

I was thinking in terms of a radar vehicle that had the AESA with the four fixed arrays that transmitted its data directly to the launch vehicles, which would have their own search and tracking radars so they could operate on their own, but with cheaper single face search radars to keep the price down. When operating with the AESA it could use electronic scanning in LPI mode to find targets without being too obvious and the launch vehicles could operate with their search radars turned off using data from the radar vehicle.

Obviously they could all use EO sensors passively too to detect targets as well.

The ability to engage 4 targets at once uses the radar for three targets and optics for the fourth in the export model of Pantsir-S1.

Targets wont be selected at random, the command module (in the naval version) and the command vehicle in the ground version will collate all the target data from the regiments vehicles sensors as well as data from its own sensors and that from the network that it is connected to and it will direct specific vehicles to engage targets. The tracking radar at the front of each launch vehicle is like any PESA radar in the nose of a fighter aircraft and should be able to track targets and send radio control signals at angles of up to 70 degrees from the angle it is facing. It tracks the targets and the outgoing missiles and sends guidance commands to the missiles. The EO system has long wave and medium wave thermal sights to track targets and outgoing missile beacons respectively.

The primary purpose of the multi target engagement capability is if it has an A-10 locked or an Apache locked and starts to engage that aircraft if the A-10 starts launching Mavericks or the Apache starts launching Hellfires, the Pantsir-S1 will not need to break lock on the aircraft to engage the incoming weapon to defend itself... it can rely on the very high speed of its missile to defeat the target aircraft and for its second and subsequent missiles to engage any incoming threat. With a peak speed of 1.3km/s the SA-22 is a very useful tool for swatting flies.

Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sat May 04, 2013 11:52 am

so both antennas are pesa. the working angle of aiming radar is 90 degrees total.
    45 left and 45 right. also aiming radar target parameter calculation time is about 1 sec...and rcs treshold for 0,03 m2 target is 7km- for 2 m2 is 24 km ,the radar curve gives us for 0,1m2 about 10km.
    so the *15 mil $ question is can the pantcir take down 4 high-subsonic cruise missiles (300 m/s) with rcs of 0,1m2 coming from 4 different directions in time?
    *i dont know exact export prices.
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sat May 04, 2013 11:54 am

Viktor wrote:
    You get the picture - its all about net-centricity.
    thanks for the pictures they were very informative.
    i dont think so ,this is a very expencive system (and i dont understand why),
    and kill em all design (precision guided munitions , cruise missiles ,uavs, hellos , aircraft-including stealth ).
    so i think only one will just HAVE to do the job for a given regiment.
    also garry this is short range system so all in one package which is much more practical less expensive and is a norm because you dont need to seperate vehicles because of big radar apertures and big missiles.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat May 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Tanks never operate alone, why do you think air defence vehicles would?

A Regiment of Pantsir-S1 vehicles will have 6 vehicles. They might pair off and operate in groups of two but all 6 will share data and usually operate within one or two kms of each other.

45 left and 45 right. also aiming radar target parameter calculation time is about 1 sec...and rcs treshold for 0,03 m2 target is 7km- for 2 m2 is 24 km ,the radar curve gives us for 0,1m2 about 10km.
    so the *15 mil $ question is can the pantcir take down 4 high-subsonic cruise missiles (300 m/s) with rcs of 0,1m2 coming from 4 different directions in time?

Assuming they have not had warning from another platform this means the incoming threats will be detected at 10km, the search radars will detect all four missiles at approximately 10km range and be able to continue to monitor their position while each vehicle engages a target. If there, for some reason is only one vehicle it will likely engage the first target at about 7km or so, the second target can be fired upon before the first missile hits because the radio command link does not start directing the missile till its has jettisonned its booster... at 1.3km/s the first missile will hit the first target before the other three missiles have moved 2km, so the second missile can be launched while the three remaining missiles are 5km away, and this missile will hit the target in even less time, so the last two targets which were continuously tracked by the search radar will likely still be 4km away when the third missile is launched to hit the third target. The fourth target will likely be engaged with guns, though it might be outside the inner range limit of the missiles.

In the more likely event that the four cruise missiles launched likely from the same sub or aircraft pass the pantsir-S1 on their way to another target and all come from the same direction the one vehicle could launch 4 SAMs and engage all three weapons at once...
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sat May 04, 2013 2:54 pm

GarryB wrote:

Tanks never operate alone, why do you think air defence vehicles would?

A Regiment of Pantsir-S1 vehicles will have 6 vehicles. They might pair off and operate in groups of two but all 6 will share data and usually operate within one or two kms of each other.

if need be it must be able to deal with threats alone, they even advertise it that way ,besides many countries dont have that much money and patncir is very expensive for a short range system.
    maybe an example -how many pantcirs does a s-400 regiment have covering its trail while on march?
    Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sat May 04, 2013 3:13 pm

i was thinking this scenario. it is obvious the 90 degree angle for the aiming radar is not a good choice maybe domestic version radar has wider beam , but in this case it can only target 1 target at a time, and 4 missiles are coming in...
    my question is will it survive?
    Pantsir-S1 News Thread: - Page 9 7_titled

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm