Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21148
    Points : 21696
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  GarryB on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 am

    Behind the keypad in your photo is the joystick for the map display.

    I just think with all the upgrades that it likely is no longer a paper map system now, that it has been updated with a digital system.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 13336
    Points : 13825
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  George1 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 pm

    Russia to Base MiG-31 Interceptors at Arctic Airfield: Air Force Commander

    KAZAN, October 15 (RIA Novosti) – Starting from 2017, the Russian Air Force will base MiG-31 interceptor jets and tactical aircraft at a Russian Arctic airfield in the urban settlement of Tiksi in northernmost Sakha Republic, Commander Col. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said Wednesday.

    "Reconstruction of the Tiksi airfield will certainly begin next year. A formation of tactical aircraft and MiG-31 interceptors will be based at the airfield in 2017. MiG-31 will be also based at an airfield in Anadyr [the capital of Chukotka Autonomous Area]," Bondarev said during an inspection visit to Air Force facilities under construction.

    In July, the Russia Air Force announced that Russian long-range aviation bases are increasing their presence in the Arctic.

    Russia has been seeking to strengthen its military, political and economic position in the Arctic for some time. In April, Russian President Vladimir Putin authorized the establishment of a new state body for the realization of Russian policies in the region. The president also commissioned the government to prepare plans for the full financial support of the Arctic's development program.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3531
    Points : 3615
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  medo on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 pm

    George1 wrote:Russia to Base MiG-31 Interceptors at Arctic Airfield: Air Force Commander

    KAZAN, October 15 (RIA Novosti) – Starting from 2017, the Russian Air Force will base MiG-31 interceptor jets and tactical aircraft at a Russian Arctic airfield in the urban settlement of Tiksi in northernmost Sakha Republic, Commander Col. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said Wednesday.

    "Reconstruction of the Tiksi airfield will certainly begin next year. A formation of tactical aircraft and MiG-31 interceptors will be based at the airfield in 2017. MiG-31 will be also based at an airfield in Anadyr [the capital of Chukotka Autonomous Area]," Bondarev said during an inspection visit to Air Force facilities under construction.

    In July, the Russia Air Force announced that Russian long-range aviation bases are increasing their presence in the Arctic.

    Russia has been seeking to strengthen its military, political and economic position in the Arctic for some time. In April, Russian President Vladimir Putin authorized the establishment of a new state body for the realization of Russian policies in the region. The president also commissioned the government to prepare plans for the full financial support of the Arctic's development program.

    This is expected. I hope they will speed up modernization of MiG-31 to MiG-31BM standard to equip arctic bases in arctic islands and in northern parts of continent.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 13336
    Points : 13825
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  George1 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:04 pm

    medo wrote:
    George1 wrote:Russia to Base MiG-31 Interceptors at Arctic Airfield: Air Force Commander

    KAZAN, October 15 (RIA Novosti) – Starting from 2017, the Russian Air Force will base MiG-31 interceptor jets and tactical aircraft at a Russian Arctic airfield in the urban settlement of Tiksi in northernmost Sakha Republic, Commander Col. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said Wednesday.

    "Reconstruction of the Tiksi airfield will certainly begin next year. A formation of tactical aircraft and MiG-31 interceptors will be based at the airfield in 2017. MiG-31 will be also based at an airfield in Anadyr [the capital of Chukotka Autonomous Area]," Bondarev said during an inspection visit to Air Force facilities under construction.

    In July, the Russia Air Force announced that Russian long-range aviation bases are increasing their presence in the Arctic.

    Russia has been seeking to strengthen its military, political and economic position in the Arctic for some time. In April, Russian President Vladimir Putin authorized the establishment of a new state body for the realization of Russian policies in the region. The president also commissioned the government to prepare plans for the full financial support of the Arctic's development program.

    This is expected. I hope they will speed up modernization of MiG-31 to MiG-31BM standard to equip arctic bases in arctic islands and in northern parts of continent.

    and i also think that this is a sign that we will go from 60-70 MiG-31BMs to 100 approx
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3531
    Points : 3615
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  medo on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm

    I would say around 60-72 MiG-31BM will be needed in Arctic bases. I hope all of them will be with IFR capabilities to prolong their distance or flying time over Arctic. Even if original planes are without them, it is not such problem to install it inside.
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 pm

    Nice thumbsup

    Tverskaya Street Fighter Wing received two MiG-31BM
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3531
    Points : 3615
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  medo on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

    http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20141127/1035386047.html

    Russian MoD sign a new contract to modernize 50 more MiG-31 to MiG-31BM till the end of 2018. This is most probably 4 squadrons for Arctic region. Very Happy thumbsup
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

    medo wrote:http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20141127/1035386047.html

    Russian MoD sign a new contract to modernize 50 more MiG-31 to MiG-31BM till the end of 2018. This is most probably 4 squadrons for Arctic region. Very Happy thumbsup

    Nice one man ! thumbsup

    They where saying about new type of modernization currently in development and perhaps something new might be applied to this new batch. Anyway those 50 is not the end

    and most probably much higher number is in pipeline as paralel contract could be signed as well.

    And check this out ....


    These aircraft have a modern management system, target detection range reached 320 kilometers range of defeat - 280 kilometers. Fighter capable of simultaneously hitting six air targets and track up to ten targets

    My vote thumbsup
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3531
    Points : 3615
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  medo on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:06 pm

    I more hope, that with further development of MiG-31BM, they will integrate ECM/ESM pod like Talisman, which have RWR, MAWS and jammer inside, for better protection of fighter. Talisman pod could be easily placed on R-73 pylon, which MiG-31BM have and under Talisman pod they could place R-73 launcher, so no missile lost to ECM pods.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

    Posts : 886
    Points : 1044
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Location : India

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Sujoy on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:09 pm

    This means each of the 50 Mig-31s will be upgraded at a cost of $12.6 million each. That's a serious amount of money.

    Wonder what these upgrades will be.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21148
    Points : 21696
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 pm

    I assumed it was further upgrades to MiG-31BM standard... ie new cockpit displays, addition of the R-37M (ie the 280km engagement range weapons mentioned) and no doubt other improvements to navigation and other systems.
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:58 pm

    8 modernized MiG-31 just delivered to RuAF  thumbsup


    Eight MiG available for analysis ZVO
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:33 pm

    Nice thumbsup


    MiG-31 provide the engine for the next two to three decades

    "There were made about 1500 of D-30F6. The existing fleet of engines allows MiG-31 by the engine for about 20-30 years, "- said A.Inozemtsev, quoted by Interfax-AVN.

    "The D-30F6 will not remain unchanged, there is a program of its modernization, including in terms of output at higher speeds," - said A.Inozemtsev.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3531
    Points : 3615
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  medo on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm

    Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup


    MiG-31 provide the engine for the next two to three decades

    "There were made about 1500 of D-30F6. The existing fleet of engines allows MiG-31 by the engine for about 20-30 years, "- said A.Inozemtsev, quoted by Interfax-AVN.  

    "The D-30F6 will not remain unchanged, there is a program of its modernization, including in terms of output at higher speeds," - said A.Inozemtsev.

    This is more than enough. In time of 20 to 30 years MiG-31 will be replaced with a new interceptor and the newest planes will be than 40 to 50 years old and old enough for retirement.
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:03 pm

    medo wrote:This is more than enough. In time of 20 to 30 years MiG-31 will be replaced with a new interceptor and the newest planes will be than 40 to 50 years old and old enough for retirement.

    Yes, luckily this is extremely huge stash of engines.

    George1
    George1

    Posts : 13336
    Points : 13825
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  George1 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 pm

    ΜiG-31Bs arent so old, they produced at 1991-1994. So they can be in service for another 15 years, which is enough time for a development of a new interceptor based in MiG-31 maybe. Generally the importance of interceptors has been reduced because USA's as well as Russia's bombers aren't in same numbers as in cold war
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21148
    Points : 21696
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  GarryB on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:09 am

    Actually the role has increased as in addition to bombers there will be cruise missiles and armed unmanned aerial vehicles that all have to be intercepted in international air space and escorted to ensure it does not enter Russian air space without permission.

    equally there will be a large number of Russian air bases built in the arctic that will increase the Air Force and aerospace defence forces presence in the region.
    Mig25
    Mig25

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2014-12-29

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Mig25 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 am

    The mig 31 will be sold has Algeria ?

    Because the mig25 of algeria dates of 1979 , They received Modernizations but the components are rare.

    The Algeria need a powerfull and fast interceptor because his territory is big and Algeria have a big desert As the Russia.

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Mig2511
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3482
    Points : 3566
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  flamming_python on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 am

    MiG-31BMs in Algerian service would be awesome

    In fact the BM versions have some multi-role capability too, given that they can now be armed with smart bombs and anti-radar missiles (http://kret.com/en/news/3572/).

    I'd imagine that there are a couple of sensitive technologies that the Russians would be wary of giving away though, so for a hypothetical export MiG-31BME version they'll probably replace them with something slightly less advanced. However it would still be very capable.
    Mig25
    Mig25

    Posts : 7
    Points : 11
    Join date : 2014-12-29

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Mig25 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 pm

    Mig31 can have the missile R77, it is a real advantage compared to mig25 which can have only R40 or R33.
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:30 pm

    So 18 MiG-31 where modernized this year alone Very Happy

    I think we can expect the same for 2015 bringing ultimately total number of modernized MiG-31 to a much higher number than officially said.
    Kyo
    Kyo

    Posts : 498
    Points : 545
    Join date : 2014-11-03
    Age : 70
    Location : Brasilia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Kyo on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:22 pm

    More than 50 MiG 31BM interceptors will be delivered by the end of 2018.

    http://itar-tass.com/en/russia/770016.
    Viktor
    Viktor

    Posts : 5650
    Points : 6283
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 38
    Location : Croatia

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Viktor on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:43 pm

    Nice thumbsup

    Three MiG-31 arrived in Kazakhstan after the overhaul in Russia
    RTN
    RTN

    Posts : 204
    Points : 183
    Join date : 2014-03-24
    Location : Fairfield, CT

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  RTN on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm

    flamming_python wrote:MiG-31BMs in Algerian service would be awesome

    I often wonder how small countries like Algeria etc can afford to fly the Mig 31 without straying into the airspace of neighboring countries?

    I mean by the time the Mig 31 takes off it is probably over the airspace of one of Algeria's neighbors like Libya, Niger or maybe even Spain.

    I suspect there are some airspace sharing agreement between these countries. The Mig 31 is basically a Russian aircraft designed to address a specific Russian problem. Patrolling it's huge airspace.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 13336
    Points : 13825
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  George1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm

    RTN wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:MiG-31BMs in Algerian service would be awesome

    I often wonder how small countries like Algeria etc can afford to fly the Mig 31 without straying into the airspace of neighboring countries?

    I mean by the time the Mig 31 takes off it is probably over the airspace of one of Algeria's neighbors like Libya, Niger or maybe even Spain.

    I suspect there are some airspace sharing agreement between these countries. The Mig 31 is basically a Russian aircraft designed to address a specific Russian problem. Patrolling it's huge airspace.

    i dont think that these countries need MiG-31, its a plane that was built to cross the huge distances in siberia against american strategic bombers

    Sponsored content

    MiG-31BM Interceptor: News - Page 14 Empty Re: MiG-31BM Interceptor: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:40 pm