Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The T-80s future in the Russian Army

eehnie

Re: The T-80s future in the Russian Army

Post  eehnie on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:31 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    eehnie wrote:There is not problem about keeping both at this point.

Nothing makes the ZU-23(-2) or the (M)T-12 better to keep than the T-80.

But what I will say is zu-23-2 is much better to keep than T-80 you have to look at its uses and number of customers using it vs number of export customers using T-80.

Under this logic the T-55 would be "better to keep" than the T-80 and the T-72. This is not how it works.

Absurd.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:06 pm

eehnie wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    eehnie wrote:There is not problem about keeping both at this point.

Nothing makes the ZU-23(-2) or the (M)T-12 better to keep than the T-80.

But what I will say is zu-23-2 is much better to keep than T-80 you have to look at its uses and number of customers using it vs number of export customers using T-80.

Under this logic the T-55 would be "better to keep" than the T-80 and the T-72. This is not how it works.

Absurd.
    Actually what's absurd is an idiot bringing zu-23-2 and T-12 and now T-55 into a thread that's for T-80. NOW that's ABSURD it's seems your having some sort of mental issue since been proven wrong which was expecting
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:10 pm

@GarryB I quite agree that keeping a small number that they have in service for artic conditions and would make no sense in designing anything new for such a small need when you already have a piece of equipment that does the job. I was concerned about what is in storage and whats likely to happen to them. Tax payers money spent it would be great to find a solution to selling or using them nothing worse than watching a tank of that spec left to rot.
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 am

d_taddei2 wrote:
    eehnie wrote:Under this logic the T-55 would be "better to keep" than the T-80 and the T-72. This is not how it works.

Absurd.
    Actually what's absurd is an idiot bringing zu-23-2 and T-12 and now T-55 into a thread that's for T-80. NOW that's ABSURD it's seems your having some sort of mental issue since been proven wrong which was expecting

I do not think your overall argument about exits is logical. To note that you introduced the T-72 previously.

And after it you are insulting me, contradicting what Vladimir79 said in his message to the forum. dunno dunno
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 am

I do not think your overall argument about exits is logical. To note that you introduced the T-72 previously.

And after it you are insulting me, contradicting what Vladimir79 said in his message to the forum.

I suspect he is not happy with you for calling him a liar in the other thread with the ZU-23-2 and of making things up and doctoring things.

In any sort of conflict anywhere that Russia might be involved with a T-80 is not a bad vehicle with the right upgrades and improvements.

It certainly does not hurt to keep some available for use.

The fact that they are particularly suited to arctic conditions is a bonus, plus they use all the same ammo that other Soviet tanks use so it is not like having to keep T-62s or T-55s in service because they use different main gun ammo, which means a range of 100mm and 115mm ammo plus guided missile rounds.

Instead, they can put the T-80s up north, which means they can have more vehicle chewing through the old stocks of 125mm ammo during training and exercises so new ammo can be purchased, which is good for everyone.
    0nillie0

Post  0nillie0 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 am

miketheterrible wrote:I see these models keep the IR searchlight.  None of these models shown have thermal imagers?  I know the BVM ordered have it.

Perhaps a more traditional infrared night sight with passive/active illumination is considered more reliable when the temperature drops to below -40 degrees celcius or less.

Perhaps these vehicles are a stop gap measure untill the BVM can be deployed in significant numbers.
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm

GarryB wrote:

And after it you are insulting me, contradicting what Vladimir79 said in his message to the forum.

I suspect he is not happy with you for calling him a liar in the other thread with the ZU-23-2 and of making things up and doctoring things.

In any sort of conflict anywhere that Russia might be involved with a T-80 is not a bad vehicle with the right upgrades and improvements.

It certainly does not hurt to keep some available for use.

The fact that they are particularly suited to arctic conditions is a bonus, plus they use all the same ammo that other Soviet tanks use so it is not like having to keep T-62s or T-55s in service because they use different main gun ammo, which means a range of 100mm and 115mm ammo plus guided missile rounds.

Instead, they can put the T-80s up north, which means they can have more vehicle chewing through the old stocks of 125mm ammo during training and exercises so new ammo can be purchased, which is good for everyone.

I did not call him liar, this is not right. I do not think is right to assign to me words that I used not. His insults instead are explicit, and are repeated, not only in these two topics.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 am

Perhaps a more traditional infrared night sight with passive/active illumination is considered more reliable when the temperature drops to below -40 degrees celcius or less.

Perhaps these vehicles are a stop gap measure untill the BVM can be deployed in significant numbers.

Didn't they have IR laser lights for the BMP-2 at one stage... it is certainly possible they might be more than just IR lights...

I did not call him liar, this is not right. I do not think is right to assign to me words that I used not. His insults instead are explicit, and are repeated, not only in these two topics.

You suggested that people who posted images instead of links had something to hide or were distorting the information by hiding other relevant stuff that might be with the images posted.
    0nillie0

Post  0nillie0 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:49 pm

GarryB wrote:

Didn't they have IR laser lights for the BMP-2 at one stage... it is certainly possible they might be more than just IR lights...

Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe you are referring to the PL-1-01 laser beamer which is found on a variety of armored vehicles, including some modernized BMP-2's.

Judging by the photo's, such a light has not been installed, altough the L-4A Luna IR searchlights are still clearly visible. I believe that the tanks we can see in the pictures are T-80BV's. The sight housing appears to be identical to that of the TPN-3-49 image intensification sight which is the default sighting system for night time for this model. Though we can only speculate without the information available, and the article does mention a guy who is responsible for the "optical and laser sights".

At any rate, laser beamers are probably more reliable, more durable and offer slightly better performance, but they will not dramatically increase target engagement ranges compared to the traditional IR spotlight.
    So IMHO i dont think there is more than meets the eye in the case of these refurbished tanks at least.

At least for this batch.
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 pm

GarryB wrote:

You suggested  that people who posted images instead of links had something to hide or were distorting the information by hiding other relevant stuff that might be with the images posted.

More exactly, habitually, who takes the work of doing partial image captures to post them, instead of posting the original links.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:36 am

eehnie wrote:
    GarryB wrote:

You suggested  that people who posted images instead of links had something to hide or were distorting the information by hiding other relevant stuff that might be with the images posted.

More exactly, habitually, who takes the work of doing partial image captures to post them, instead of posting the original links.
    Already explained to you why but u failed to read because of ur mental illness. 
    U don't accept links eehnie and you don't accept pics and you don't accept experience Infact u don't accept anything from anyone but yourself this is now a FACT everyone can see. Which hampers your own knowledge which is already small and limited and will not grow while you're mindset is in its current mode. Attitude change is severely needed and if it's not mental illness then it's quite clearly bigotry which I think should entail some kind of action from the mods. .
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:29 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:Already explained to you why but u failed to read because of ur mental illness. 
    U don't accept links eehnie and you don't accept pics and you don't accept experience Infact u don't accept anything from anyone but yourself this is now a FACT everyone can see. Which hampers your own knowledge which is already small and limited and will not grow while you're mindset is in its current mode. Attitude change is severely needed and if it's not mental illness then it's quite clearly bigotry which I think should entail some kind of action from the mods. .

http://www.russiadefence.net/t7624-listen-carefully#238718
    George1

Post  George1 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:05 pm

Russia’s upgraded T-80BV tank to feature capability of firing depleted uranium shells

The use of depleted uranium ammunition does not violate any international treaties, expert says

MOSCOW, December 20. /TASS/. Russia’s T-80BV main battle tank has been upgraded to feature the capability of firing depleted uranium shells, the Defense Ministry said in the bulletin ‘The Russian Army in Comparison’ published on Thursday.

The bulletin notes that the T-80BVM (the letter M stands for ‘modernized’) features "the improved weapons stabilizer and the loading mechanism for the 3BM59 Svinets-1 and 3BM60 Svinets-2 munitions."

Open sources suggest that the Svinets-1 armor-piercing fin-stabilized sub-caliber projectile has the core made of tungsten carbide while the Svinets-2 features the uranium alloy core.

According to various data, the Svinets-1 is capable of piercing 700-740 mm of the homogeneous armor at a distance of 2 km while the Svinets-2 can pierce 800-830 mm at the same distance.

The information that one of the shells has the depleted uranium core was confirmed to TASS by military expert, Editor-in-Chief of the Arsenal of the Fatherland journal Viktor Murakhovsky. "It has the alloy of the depleted uranium and tungsten," he said, adding that the open sources mentioned it as "the Material B."

The use of depleted uranium ammunition does not violate any international treaties, the expert said.

Such munitions are stored outside of the arsenals of military units in the Russian Army and are referred to the category of special stockpiles, he added.

The US Army also has tank shells with the depleted uranium core, he said.

In particular, the ammunition load of the US Abrams tank can include M829A1 munitions capable of piercing from 650 mm to 700 mm of the homogenous armor at a distance of 2 km, according to various data. The armor-piercing shells with the tungsten/depleted uranium alloy are more efficient than steel due to their higher density.

T-80BVM

The T-80BVM is a further upgrade of the T-80BV tank. The armored vehicle is furnished with the Sosna-U multi-channel gunner sight, the improved 125mm gun 2A46M-4, the upgraded gas turbine engine and the Relikt explosive-reactive armor.

As the Defense Ministry’s press office reported, T-80BMV tanks have started to arrive for the Russian Army this year.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/1036958
    George1

Post  George1 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Omsktransmash conducts serial modernization of T-80BVM

The modernization of T-80BV tanks to the level of T-80BVM is in full swing at the Omsk Transmash.Such a conclusion can be drawn from photographs published on the company's official website. As an illustration to the news material “Virtual tank for schoolchildren - there was a week without turnstiles on Omsktransmash”, published on October 22, there are a couple of interesting photos.

On the first photo schoolchildren in the tank workshop next to the torn-off T-80BV, received from the troops. But on the second - already in the refurbished and otmodernizirovannogo body with DZ "Relikt" on the 'VLD' - this is the T-80BVM.
    Earlier it was reported that the package of contracts of Uralvagonzavod in 2017 includes the modernization of 62 t-80B tanks to the level of T-80BVM with delivery of 31 units in 2018 and 2019.

https://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2018/11/80.html?fbclid=IwAR3Hu0lLR1GcTuGvFtzX0SKrETbF7AMHLA4Br_eNVlRJBoWJhv3ygIW_uQY

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 pm