Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The T-80s future in the Russian Army

Big_Gazza
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Re: The T-80s future in the Russian Army

Post  Big_Gazza on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:04 am

"Also, upgraded tanks consume less fuel."

A reference to replacement of turbine with recip engine?

It seems to me that Russias large store of reserve T-72/80 could be best used in the future once drone tech becomes sufficiently mature that robotic MBTs become a reality. Upgrade now with better armament, protection and powerplants in order to reinforce Russias active tank forces, and then convert them again in the (near?) future to remove crew and install RC mechanisms, sensors and datalinks as a "bolt-on" package. I can imagine a future Russian tank force comprised of manned Armata-class platforms, backed up with robotic T-72/80s as expendable force multipliers. For example, I could forsee a heavy APC Armata vehicle with nothjing but anti-infantry defensive weapons but kitted out drone operator stations controlling some 6-10 drone MBTs.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:42 am

Not like anyone is asking me, but i would never return T-80s into service, they were for years throwing them out of service and bringing T-72Bs... what suddenly changed so they want to modernise and keep in service some 400 T-80s?

MonkeymodelBananaRepublic
    Private
    Private

Post  MonkeymodelBananaRepublic on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:10 pm

I dont understand the current reversal... unless they intent to replace every single tank in the active tank roster in those 3 districts will 100% t80s and use left over t80s for spare parts? So they would have 2 districts in the west outfitted with 100% t-72B3/4 and 3 in the east with t80s? that kind of makes sense as the east how lower tech potential enemies ....

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Militarov wrote:Not like anyone is asking me, but i would never return T-80s into service, they were for years throwing them out of service and bringing T-72Bs... what suddenly changed so they want to modernise and keep in service some 400 T-80s?

I would; retrofitting them with new turrets/basket should do it nicely. The problem is that the cost would probably far more prohibitive than the T72's.

But frankly for balance reasons, I would simply push further on Omsk design without the turbine non-sense. They had a rammer autoloader ready to go, which IMO was technically more feasible than the semi-oscillating bull that they adapted for the T-14.

Also modernized tanks aren't all that interesting, but they're still capable and it's only going up from the current capabilities (of these tanks for now).

Also modernizing T80's should bring them at same level. As long as this doesn't happen anymore, the tanks shouldn't be inferior to T-72.

You can see and early Thales CRF and Catherine set on this one.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:19 pm

They need numbers, it's probably as simple as that. Their current T-72 & variants fleet is not cutting it.

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:12 pm

I heard a theory that they are getting them for Arctic troops. Is there maybe some performance advantage that turbines have over standard engines in low temperatures?

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:29 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    I heard a theory that they are getting them for Arctic troops. Is there maybe some performance advantage that turbines have over standard engines in low temperatures?

Yes there is, turbines can fairly easily deal with temperatures as low as -60C or at least easier than diesels. I had similar idea but i am not sure.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:32 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Not like anyone is asking me, but i would never return T-80s into service, they were for years throwing them out of service and bringing T-72Bs... what suddenly changed so they want to modernise and keep in service some 400 T-80s?

I would; retrofitting them with new turrets/basket should do it nicely. The problem is that the cost would probably far more prohibitive than the T72's.

But frankly for balance reasons, I would simply push further on Omsk design without the turbine non-sense. They had a rammer autoloader ready to go, which IMO was technically more feasible than the semi-oscillating bull that they adapted for the T-14.

Also modernized tanks aren't all that interesting, but they're still capable and it's only going up from the current capabilities (of these tanks for now).

Also modernizing T80's should bring them at same level. As long as this doesn't happen anymore, the tanks shouldn't be inferior to T-72.

If there is no specific reason why turbine engines are a must (Arctic forces?) i wouldnt bring them back, id just pull more T-72Bs from storage and modernise them, there should be at least 2.000 more rusting away.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

If there is no specific reason why turbine engines are a must (Arctic forces?) i wouldnt bring them back, id just pull more T-72Bs from storage and modernise them, there should be at least 2.000 more rusting away.

If they have any stored T-80U they're much better off restoring them to service. I agree T-80BV is not worth it when they have T-72B at hand.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

The problem is that you have storages full of T's. With upgrades that are compatible for both sides and with structural advantages for the T-80's (while understanding the caveats).

So in my opinion the 72's only win on the bean counter column. Otherwise, same same.

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:32 am

T-72B3s are already mediocre, why spend money on the T-80s when we could have allocated that money to atleast upgrade B3s to B3Ms... The only tank worth upgrading in the T-80 series is the T-80U, and even with that I'm sure these upgrades will be just as mediocre as the T-72B3...

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 am

VladimirSahin wrote:T-72B3s are already mediocre, why spend money on the T-80s when we could have allocated that money to atleast upgrade B3s to B3Ms... The only tank worth upgrading in the T-80 series is the T-80U, and even with that I'm sure these upgrades will be just as mediocre as the T-72B3...

There's mediocrity and mediocrity.
    Upgrading and keeping the T-80U in active service or upgrading some T-72B is way better than having the largest country in the world with less than 2,000 operational MBTs.

KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:44 am

VladimirSahin wrote:T-72B3s are already mediocre, why spend money on the T-80s when we could have allocated that money to atleast upgrade B3s to B3Ms... The only tank worth upgrading in the T-80 series is the T-80U, and even with that I'm sure these upgrades will be just as mediocre as the T-72B3...

B3's aren't mediocre at all. At this point there are very few tanks that "aren't mediocre". There has been such a change in tactics from the crazy company that I don't see why any world power is going to think their AFV's are safe. The whole SVBIED logic is going to cough up Goliath-style suicide drones on wheels. Specially when you see how successful that crap is on a worn down opponent. So what is needed is firepower even without the full spectrum defense. Which can be retro-fitted on tanks like the T80.

eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  eehnie on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:48 am

Looking at the production of new tanks, when the mass production of the T-14 begins, this is key for Russia. Russia needs to replace all its current fleet of active tanks by T-14s in approximately 25 years (by 2041) to assure a good rate of replacement of its tank fleet in the next 50 years.

Every tank in the the reserve of the Russian Armed Forces needs enough maintenance to avoid a lose in 10-15 years in the storage places. Also, this is key for Russia.

In third place comes the policy of updates and upgrades. It would be good if the current T-72 and T-80 in active service would have an upgrade from the initial variants. There are some options. Maybe all T-72 aor different mixes of T-72 and T-80s. For it if I'm not wrong it would be necessary to update still between 1600 and 1800 tanks and it would not be a problem if are all T-72.

The upgrade of the rest of T-72 and T-80 would come if it is economically possible.

Still, I think the T-80 needs a new combat opportunity to restore its image. Including the basic variant. Technically I do not think it is a bad tank for today and for the following years.

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:50 pm

KiloGolf wrote:

There's mediocrity and mediocrity.
    Upgrading and keeping the T-80U in active service or upgrading some T-72B is way better than having the largest country in the world with less than 2,000 operational MBTs.

This is true

[quote]B3's aren't mediocre at all. At this point there are very few tanks that "aren't mediocre". There has been such a change in tactics from the crazy company that I don't see why any world power is going to think their AFV's are safe. The whole SVBIED logic is going to cough up Goliath-style suicide drones on wheels. Specially when you see how successful that crap is on a worn down opponent. So what is needed is firepower even without the full spectrum defense. Which can be retro-fitted on tanks like the T80./quote]

Well you know T-72B3s compared to western heavy tanks are pretty mediocre in a few categories. The US operates thousands of M1A2s and M1A1s that have thermal systems for the command and gunner, and even the loader! Optics wise those tanks are lacking... For God's sake a 2012 upgrade with a 80s commander sight? No just no.
    That's my main issue with this upgrade. It isn't mediocre in the sense of being a tank, as the gunner operates a goodish thermal sight, has a good FCS, protection is goodish.

My problem with upgrading the T-80s are that these tanks need to have their autoloaders upgraded so they can shoot the newer rounds, they need to have thermals installed onto them, they need to do a whole lot of stuff. For the T-80U this is totally worth it IMO, the armor on them are already pretty good, and if we could get relikt in service with those they'd be quite capable, but again alot of this stuff we could have got with the T-72B3M upgrade, where the commander also gets a thermal optic.

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:58 pm

VladimirSahin wrote:Well you know T-72B3s compared to western heavy tanks are pretty mediocre in a few categories. The US operates thousands of M1A2s and M1A1s that have thermal systems for the command and gunner, and even the loader! Optics wise those tanks are lacking... For God's sake a 2012 upgrade with a 80s commander sight? No just no.
    That's my main issue with this upgrade. It isn't mediocre in the sense of being a tank, as the gunner operates a goodish thermal sight, has a good FCS, protection is goodish.

My problem with upgrading the T-80s are that these tanks need to have their autoloaders upgraded so they can shoot the newer rounds, they need to have thermals installed onto them, they need to do a whole lot of stuff. For the T-80U this is totally worth it IMO, the armor on them are already pretty good, and if we could get relikt in service with those they'd be quite capable, but again alot of this stuff we could have got with the T-72B3M upgrade, where the commander also gets a thermal optic.

+1 on all points. For me T-80U are definitely worth upgrading (to the extent that you mention) and keeping in niche regions and military districts (Arctic, Far East, Sakhalin).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:43 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 pm