Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Share

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 am

    Russian navy took delivery of another Il-38N anti-submarine aircraft
    Russian Aviaton » Monday August 24, 2015 01:44 MSK

    Ilyushin Company has implemented a state contract for overhaul and upgrade of five Il-38 anti-submarine aircraft operated by Russian navy to Il-38N version. A solemn handover ceremony dedicated to delivery of the fifth upgraded production Il-38N “Novella” aircraft to the Command of the naval aviation of Russian navy was held at the airfield of Gromov Flight Research Institute.

    In the network of this upgrade the aircraft were fitted with the new “Novella-P-38” search-and-track system, which significantly expanded the vehicles combat capabilities and allowed the aircraft to carry out a wider range of missions. The aircraft was named after Chief Designer of “Novella-P-38” search-and-track system installed on the aircraft – Fedor Zolotukhin.
    Follow us on: Follow ruaviation on Twitter

    The first upgraded Il-38 was handed over to Russian Ministry of Defense in July 2014.

    “We have implemented the first state contract. The contract experienced difficulties, but the vehicles have been upgraded. This aircraft looks great and we hope that it will serve our homeland,” Ilyushin Company CEO Sergey Velmozhkin said.

    In his own turn, UAC Deputy Director for Directorate of special aviation programs Valeri Vvedenski said: “Today we implemented the contract for delivery of the first five upgraded production Il-38 aircraft. And this fact sets an even more important goal for us – to help Russian Ministry of Defense put the aircraft into operation and to assure its continued airworthiness”.

    The Command of the naval aviation of the Russian navy said that Il-38N aircraft are great and promising, and expressed hope that the cooperation will continue.

    http://www.ruaviation.com/news/2015/8/24/3455/


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 am

    [quote="flamming_python"]
    George1 wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    ''Russia Develops New 'Sub-Killer' Version of Be-200 Amphibious Aircraft''

    Is this the A-40 or something different?

    Wish they went with the A-42; those turboprops look efficient.

    No Beriev A-40 is different and bigger aircraft than Be-200

    But what's the point of developing an anti-sub version of the Be-200 when the A-40 is already pretty much an anti-sub version of the Be-200? (in addition to other functions)

    If it's true that this is a seperate aircraft, then the article suggests that this project and the A-40 will be developed/ordered together - which makes even less sense.

    Perhaps only if this is a turboprop version; like a slightly smaller A-42; designed to replace the Be-12s mainly; while the A-40 functions as the larger, longer-range version for patrol and so on; ultimately replacing the Il-38s and Il-20s.

    Well A40 Albatros lost its funding in 2011. and its considered as dead project. Meanwhile Be200 is currently in production so... i guess thats the reason, unification and lower production/maintenance costs.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:26 pm

    I wouldnt discart turbofans just like that from ASW role, simply coz of Russian size, i personally would use two ASW/Maritime patrol platforms one turbofan based on some liner and one smaller turboprop, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Naturally its wise to obtain more turboprop ones due to fuel efficiency and overall cost. Platforms like Be200 are fine for SAR, firefighting, naval medical evacuation, maybe some command platform but i dont think they are best idea for ASW unless they develop subtype with turboprops.

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3360
    Points : 3403
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:11 pm

    Slightly OT but whilst discussing Russian amphibious aircraft this interesting article has appeared on similar function Japanese aircraft and their long history. http://warisboring.com/articles/tokyos-first-major-defense-export-will-be-a-seaplane/

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:33 pm

    JohninMK wrote:Slightly OT but whilst discussing Russian amphibious aircraft this interesting article has appeared on similar function Japanese aircraft and their long history.

    ShinMaywa US2 is extremly useful platform, probably best of its kind in the world, however price is quite significant.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:47 pm

    Upgraded Anti-Submarine Planes Enter Russia's Pacific Fleet

    Modernized anti-submarine planes have entered into service with Russia’s Pacific Fleet.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Russia’s modernized anti-submarine warfare planes have entered into service with Russia’s Pacific Fleet, the aircraft’s developer announced Wednesday.

    "The Il-38N anti-submarine planes [NATO reporting name May] upgraded by the Ilyushin Aviation Complex has entered service with the Naval Aviation of the Russian Pacific Fleet," the developer’s press service said in a statement.

    The Ilyushin Aviation Complex, a subsidiary of the United Aircraft Corporation, said pilots in two of the Naval Aviation’s airbases have successfully retrained for the overhauled aircraft and began flights from home airfields.

    The maritime patrol planes’ modernization included the installment of the new Novella-P-38 search and tracking system, which significantly expands the plane’s combat capabilities.

    The Novella system allows the Il-38N to detect targets within a 200-mile radius, including radar-equipped submarines, ships and aircraft.

    "One now has the ability to use new generation sonobuoy, the equipment includes an additional signals intelligence station and a thermal imager working in infrared and visible-light spectrum," the aviation complex said.

    The Il-38N’s expanded capabilities with the new search and tracking system allow the aircraft to successfully patrol, search and destroy submarines, and monitor surface and air targets. Its additional capacities include setting mine defense systems, conducting search and rescue, as well as environmental water surface monitoring, operations.

    The Northern Fleet's press spokesman Capt. 1st Rank Vadim Serga said last year the new aircraft could be used to map magnetic and gravitational charts of the Arctic Sea ice.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150923/1027429782.html#ixzz3mei2rmXi


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 pm

    The modernized Il-38N in the Pacific Fleet







    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1493293.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:41 am

    Russian Anti-Carrier Plane Reportedly Buzzes USS Ronald Reagan



    The USS Ronald Reagan reportedly scrambled fighter jets to escort Russian naval surveillance aircraft flying through the area east of the Korean Peninsula.

    The US Navy's Seventh Fleet said on Thursday that the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier scrambled four fighter jets after two Russian Tu-142 anti-ship reconnaissance aircraft were spotted in the area, Stars and Stripes reported.

    US Navy officials commented, alluding to the situation in the South China Sea, in which US ships passed through international waters, just as the Russian Tu-142 flew through international airspace at the time. US and Soviet surveillance aircraft often trailed each other's aircraft carriers during the Cold War, in a bid to show the ineffectiveness of the other side's ships.

    "We are advocates of any country being able to operate within international norms," the US Navy's Seventh Fleet spokeswoman Lt. Lauren Cole said.

    A US Navy official told Reuters on condition of anonymity that the Russian plane came within one nautical mile (1852 meters) of the US carrier, and that both US and Russian pilots behaved professionally during the incident.

    US Navy officials also complained about the safety of the Russian aircraft's flight, claiming that it descended to an altitude of 500 feet (152 meters) and did not make radio contact with the US carrier. The Tu-142 long distance naval surveillance aircraft is a derivative of the Tu-95 bomber, and entered service in 1972.

    "We would characterize this as still at a safe distance. This kind of interaction is not unprecedented," Navy spokesman Cmdr. William Marks told Fox News.

    A US Department spokesman confirmed the incident in a RIA Novosti interview.

    “I can confirm that two Russian TU-142 Bear aircraft approached the SS Ronald Reagan [aircraft carrier] on the morning of October 27 while Reagan was operating in the Sea of Japan,” Bill Urban said.

    In response, the United States deployed four armed F-18 fighter jets from the USS Reagan to escort the Russian aircraft out of the vicinity of the aircraft carrier, the spokesman added.

    The US Navy was conducting exercises with South Korea at the time of the fly-by, but did not comment on whether it was conducting flights from the carrier's deck at the time.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20151029/1029294794/us-carrier-aircraft-russian-tu142.html#ixzz3q1xodEqV


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Book.
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Posts : 667
    Points : 730
    Join date : 2015-05-08
    Location : Oregon, USA

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Book. on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 pm

    Russian Navy until 2020 will receive 28 anti-IL-38
    13:15 01/13/2016 (updated: 6:26 01/14/2016)

    РИА Новости: http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160113/1359000562.html

    MOSCOW, January 13 - RIA Novosti.
    Aviation Complex Ilyushin in November 2016 to supply the Navy of the Russian Federation has two anti-IL-38, all naval aviation contract until 2020 will get 28 cars, said deputy general director Yury Yudin.

    "Today we passed the marine air five Il-38N" Novella ". Under the contract, we will give in November this year two more aircraft," - he told reporters on Wednesday.
    Yudin said that, under a contract with the Defense Ministry, until 2020. "Ilyushin" give 28 units of IL-38N.

    IL-38  - anti-submarine aircraft, developed in OKB Ilyushin-based passenger IL-18B. The aircraft is designed for independent or joint anti-submarine ships to search and destroy submarines, for maritime surveillance, search and rescue operations, setting minefields.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 pm

    New ASW seaplanes A-40 "Albatros" will replace the amphibious aircrafts Be-12 of the Black Sea Fleet in the framework of complete renewal of the Naval Aviation (MA BSF) Russia in 2020, told reporters on Thursday the chief MA BSF Colonel Gennady Zagonov.

    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160303/1383612879.html&usg=ALkJrhjQqb9OcgaP5eQYnFYO1bxTDmQYjg


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:48 pm

    George1 wrote:
    New ASW seaplanes A-40 "Albatros" will replace the amphibious aircrafts Be-12 of the Black Sea Fleet in the framework of complete renewal of the Naval Aviation (MA BSF) Russia in 2020, told reporters on Thursday the chief MA BSF Colonel Gennady Zagonov.

    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160303/1383612879.html&usg=ALkJrhjQqb9OcgaP5eQYnFYO1bxTDmQYjg

    Suspect Are they seriously trying to revive it again? That would be 4th time project is being revived since first flight. They decided to cut the funding in 2011. after 5 years of work on project which was after another revival.

    Article from 05.09.2008:

    "Russia's Navy will put into operation four new A-42 amphibious planes by 2013, a senior military official said on Friday.

    The A-42 (Be-42) amphibious plane is the search and rescue variant of the A-40 Mermaid ASW aircraft, which can be used for reconnaissance and target designation during patrols over coastal and international waters. It is the largest amphibious aircraft in the world. "The Russian naval aviation will receive four A-42 amphibious planes by 2013, with the first one to be commissioned in 2010," the deputy commander of naval aviation, Maj. Gen. Nikolai Kuklev.
    He said the A-42 would become the main reconnaissance and ASW aircraft of the Russian Navy after 2015 and would replace the ageing fleet of Be-12 Mail and Il-38 May maritime patrol aircraft."


    Source: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20080905/116569962.html#ixzz41rKTUIfk

    They seriously need to make up their mind its getting quite silly Suspect

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:18 pm

    Yes thats a question. And i wonder if it is worthy to revive this project for only 4-5 aircrafts for BSF. (unless they are intended for other fleets also, Caspian or Baltic)


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:36 pm

    George1 wrote:Yes thats a question. And i wonder if it is worthy to revive this project for only 4-5 aircrafts for BSF. (unless they are intended for other fleets also, Caspian or Baltic)

    Well, to make whole project worth it they would need to build at least like 40 or 50 of them which i somehow dont see happening at least not for Russian Navy alone. Unless they maybe want to replace on long run IL38s with derivate of Albatros? dunno

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 am

    In terms of range and flight speed it would be a good replacement, though it would lack the ability to fly at low speed at low altitude that the Il-38 has and the Be-12.

    It was certainly going to be a very capable replacement for both aircraft and each time it was cancelled I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

    I wonder if two versions could not be developed... one with two turbofan engines like the PS-90A3 engines developed for the Il-476, to replace the existing four engine arrangement (there are two D-30 type engines as used on the Il-76 plus two booster engines internally mounted for take offs). Having just two engines should simplify the design, reduce weight and improve performance. Having another version with turboprop engines like those fitted to the An-70 would allow efficient low speed operations where useful for some aircraft... perhaps even in a pusher arrangement to further protect the engines from water spray.

    A new turboprop engine could be adapted and used as an upgrade for the Tu-95 and Tu-142s in service.

    A larger bladed more powerful model could be created from the new engine being developed for the PAKDA and be used to make the Bear a twin engined aircraft to reduce maintainence and perhaps even improve performance.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:55 am

    GarryB wrote:In terms of range and flight speed it would be a good replacement, though it would lack the ability to fly at low speed at low altitude that the Il-38 has and the Be-12.

    It was certainly going to be a very capable replacement for both aircraft and each time it was cancelled I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

    I wonder if two versions could not be developed... one with two turbofan engines like the PS-90A3 engines developed for the Il-476, to replace the existing four engine arrangement (there are two D-30 type engines as used on the Il-76 plus two booster engines internally mounted for take offs). Having just two engines should simplify the design, reduce weight and improve performance.  Having another version with turboprop engines like those fitted to the An-70 would allow efficient low speed operations where useful for some aircraft... perhaps even in a pusher arrangement to further protect the engines from water spray.

    A new turboprop engine could be adapted and used as an upgrade for the Tu-95 and Tu-142s in service.

    A larger bladed more powerful model could be created from the new engine being developed for the PAKDA and be used to make the Bear a twin engined aircraft to reduce maintainence and perhaps even improve performance.

    Well there existed something called Beriev A-42 - http://www.beriev.com/eng/A-42PE_e/A-42PE_e.html



    But as you see its using Progress D-27 engines (same as on AN70) built by Ivchenko-Progress which means...well...

    Turboprop surely would be alot more suited for at least ASW and sea rescue roles if anything, while turbofan version is good for firefighting, medievac, maritime patrol, AWACs, liner... and i suppose some other.

    On other hand i dont think they will ever do such update on TU95s and TU142s, at least not making it 2 engined. They might overhaul current design with some changes etc but replacing totally i dont see that happening.


    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1516
    Points : 1558
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:46 am

    Militarov wrote:
    George1 wrote:Yes thats a question. And i wonder if it is worthy to revive this project for only 4-5 aircrafts for BSF. (unless they are intended for other fleets also, Caspian or Baltic)

    Well, to make whole project worth it they would need to build at least like 40 or 50 of them which i somehow dont see happening at least not for Russian Navy alone. Unless they maybe want to replace on long run IL38s with derivate of Albatros? dunno


    in text from 2008:

    The A-42 (Be-42) amphibious plane is the search and rescue variant of the A-40 Mermaid ASW aircraft, which can be used for reconnaissance and target designation during patrols over coastal and international waters. It is the largest amphibious aircraft in the world. "The Russian naval aviation will receive four A-42 amphibious planes by 2013, with the first one to be commissioned in 2010," the deputy commander of naval aviation, Maj. Gen. Nikolai Kuklev.
    He said the A-42 would become the main reconnaissance and ASW aircraft of the Russian Navy after 2015 and would replace the ageing fleet of Be-12 Mail and Il-38 May maritime patrol aircraft."




    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:34 am

    Well there existed something called Beriev A-42

    As far as I am aware it was only ever a model proposal...


    Turboprop surely would be alot more suited for at least ASW and sea rescue roles if anything, while turbofan version is good for firefighting, medievac, maritime patrol, AWACs, liner... and i suppose some other.

    Low speed loitering is not very efficient with a turbofan... especially at lower altitudes like it would when hunting for Subs. The Tu-142 struggles at low speed with its ULF antenna deployed because there is just a narrow flight speed margin between stall and the antenna not being effective (it needs to hand almost straight down). This is not because of the engines... they are turboprops, but because of the swept wing increasing stall speed (and also max speed).

    If they are going to be making a new engine out of the NK-32 for a flying wing subsonic cruise aircraft then making a variant that had a pusher prop with two sets of blades like the D-27 would be useful for some roles too... perhaps a two engined Il-476 variant, plus the naval model and the use on both Bears... ie Tu-142 and Tu-95 to extend their life... and sell them to China to make US carriers less safe... Twisted Evil

    On other hand i dont think they will ever do such update on TU95s and TU142s, at least not making it 2 engined. They might overhaul current design with some changes etc but replacing totally i dont see that happening.

    They completely redesigned the wing in the late 1970s to create the Tu-142... why not upgrade the engines?

    Then sell them off to the Chinese or Indians to threaten US carrier groups with hypersonic missiles russia


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1516
    Points : 1558
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:20 am

    GarryB wrote: Low speed loitering is not very efficient with a turbofan... especially at lower altitudes like it would when hunting for Subs. The Tu-142 struggles at low speed with its ULF antenna deployed because there is just a narrow flight speed margin between stall and the antenna not being effective (it needs to hand almost straight down). This is not because of the engines... they are turboprops, but because of the swept wing increasing stall speed (and also max speed).

    If they are going to be making a new engine out of the NK-32 for a flying wing subsonic cruise aircraft then making a variant that had a pusher prop with two sets of blades like the D-27 would be useful for some roles too... perhaps a two engined Il-476 variant, plus the naval model and the use on both Bears... ie Tu-142 and Tu-95 to extend their life... and sell them to China to make US carriers less safe...   Twisted Evil

    On other hand i dont think they will ever do such update on TU95s and TU142s, at least not making it 2 engined. They might overhaul current design with some changes etc but replacing totally i dont see that happening.

    They completely redesigned the wing in the late 1970s to create the Tu-142... why not upgrade the engines?

    Then sell them off to the Chinese or Indians to threaten US carrier groups with hypersonic missiles  russia

    Garry you are behaving as Evil Ivan Laughing

    As for flying boats I see 2 basic reasons for Russians to reopen this project:

    a) flying-boat needs no land based airfield (both useful in vast areas of Russia or in missions like Syria or hopefully to be base in Fiji:)

    b) push towards development of aircraft industry. Many subcontracted companies with electronics/electrical systems/composites/mechanics you name it. Also export potential for both civil and mil versions.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:29 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    George1 wrote:Yes thats a question. And i wonder if it is worthy to revive this project for only 4-5 aircrafts for BSF. (unless they are intended for other fleets also, Caspian or Baltic)

    Well, to make whole project worth it they would need to build at least like 40 or 50 of them which i somehow dont see happening at least not for Russian Navy alone. Unless they maybe want to replace on long run IL38s with derivate of Albatros? dunno


    in text from 2008:

    The A-42 (Be-42) amphibious plane is the search and rescue variant of the A-40 Mermaid ASW aircraft, which can be used for reconnaissance and target designation during patrols over coastal and international waters. It is the largest amphibious aircraft in the world. "The Russian naval aviation will receive four A-42 amphibious planes by 2013, with the first one to be commissioned in 2010," the deputy commander of naval aviation, Maj. Gen. Nikolai Kuklev.
    He said the A-42 would become the main reconnaissance and ASW aircraft of the Russian Navy after 2015 and would replace the ageing fleet of Be-12 Mail and Il-38 May maritime patrol aircraft."




    And still they halted funding for whole project in 2011. I do remember these stories but they are atm updating IL38s which means they will fly at least another 15 years. Original plan was to get rid of them by early 2020.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4798
    Points : 4845
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Militarov on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:31 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Well there existed something called Beriev A-42

    As far as I am aware it was only ever a model proposal...


    Turboprop surely would be alot more suited for at least ASW and sea rescue roles if anything, while turbofan version is good for firefighting, medievac, maritime patrol, AWACs, liner... and i suppose some other.

    Low speed loitering is not very efficient with a turbofan... especially at lower altitudes like it would when hunting for Subs. The Tu-142 struggles at low speed with its ULF antenna deployed because there is just a narrow flight speed margin between stall and the antenna not being effective (it needs to hand almost straight down). This is not because of the engines... they are turboprops, but because of the swept wing increasing stall speed (and also max speed).

    If they are going to be making a new engine out of the NK-32 for a flying wing subsonic cruise aircraft then making a variant that had a pusher prop with two sets of blades like the D-27 would be useful for some roles too... perhaps a two engined Il-476 variant, plus the naval model and the use on both Bears... ie Tu-142 and Tu-95 to extend their life... and sell them to China to make US carriers less safe...   Twisted Evil

    On other hand i dont think they will ever do such update on TU95s and TU142s, at least not making it 2 engined. They might overhaul current design with some changes etc but replacing totally i dont see that happening.

    They completely redesigned the wing in the late 1970s to create the Tu-142... why not upgrade the engines?

    Then sell them off to the Chinese or Indians to threaten US carrier groups with hypersonic missiles  russia

    Yeah it was only a proposal, but they planned it, till funding was lifted.

    Yeah but TU142s were newly built specialised platform it was worth it, idk if they would throw maybe even couple dozen million USD per TU95 to modernise them i know i wouldnt that is Smile

    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1967
    Points : 2092
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:47 am

    Tu-96 <—> NK-16

    Tu-95I <—> NK-20

    .
    .
    .

    x <—> y

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15458
    Points : 16165
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  GarryB on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 am


    Yeah but TU142s were newly built specialised platform it was worth it, idk if they would throw maybe even couple dozen million USD per TU95 to modernise them i know i wouldnt that is

    They will have spent 100 times that over the last few decades upgrading the electronics on those expensive MPAs... an upgrade of the engines would be peanuts compared with the cost of Sea Dragon.

    The Tu-95s in service all got upgraded wings too...

    They are spending money making an engine for the PAK DA to allow it to fly efficiently very long distances at subsonic speeds... it would not be that hard to make a turboprop or similar bladed fan model like a ducted fan or propfan... such engines could also be used on large civilian and military transports and passenger aircraft.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:10 am

    It is possible that the Tu-142M3 of Russian Navy aircraft used in Syria for reconnaissance of ground targets



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9423
    Points : 9915
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  George1 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:10 pm

    50th Beriev aircraft overhauled. (antisubmarine aircraft Tu-142MK (hull number "51", registration number RF-34059, own the name "Yuri Malinin")



    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2071678.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    eehnie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 563
    Points : 588
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  eehnie on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:17 pm


    There is some new about the delivery of the ordered Be-200? I find nothing.

    Sponsored content

    Re: ASW Aircrafts for Russian Navy:

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:53 am


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 am